John Chen spoke about his plan to save BlackBerry in an extensive interview with Forbes, what it takes to turn a company around, why he decided to do it and much more. When asked what makes a great turn around team John Chen stated ‘urgency and an obsessive focus on the things that matter. You build a team by picking the right people–it all comes down to the right people–who understand this’, he has definitely begun building is team since he became CEO of BlackBerry.

John Chen speaks about turning BlackBerry around, what it takes - BlackBerry Empire
    02-12-14 09:31 AM
    On my read list when I get a moment now.

Edit: awesome article love it, Chen is smart with his words for sure.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30 running 10.2.1.1925
    02-12-14 09:33 AM
    It is a herculean task. Thus, I preach caution with regards to back-slapping and high-fiving JC just yet.

Having said that, the guy does inspire confidence naturally, IMHO. His media circuit seems to be picky and highly effective.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-12-14 09:48 AM
    How many potential customers fit that profile? wanting a keyboard but not wanting apps?
    There's a huge market segment out there for any regulated industry. Governments, financial services, health care. I think we can go capture those and become a winner. I have two companies in Europe now that have reversed their policies on letting people bring their own devices to work. It presents too much of a security risk. After Angela Merkel was hacked she moved straight to a BlackBerry.
    I wish Chen would have corrected the misconception that BlackBerrys are keyboard only phones.

Z10 STL100-3 |10.2.1.1925 | Bell | CB10
    02-12-14 10:01 AM
    I'm cautiously optimistic about Chen, but I kind of cringed at "obsessive focus" because it harkens back to Heins' "laser focus." I really, really hope Chen means it and isn't just throwing out buzz words.

Also, I hope he's not dismissing the importance of some apps. I know in the healthcare field there are many specialized apps to be utilized. And in the communications industry there are a lot of specialized apps as well for various conferencing services. I would hope that a device focusing on communications would have these apps available! I think a lot of times when people hear "apps" their mind goes to games and social media apps and not industry-specific apps.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-12-14 10:09 AM
    I'm cautiously optimistic about Chen, but I kind of cringed at "obsessive focus" because it harkens back to Heins' "laser focus." I really, really hope Chen means it and isn't just throwing out buzz words.

Also, I hope he's not dismissing the importance of some apps. I know in the healthcare field there are many specialized apps to be utilized. And in the communications industry there are a lot of specialized apps as well for various conferencing services. I would hope that a device focusing on communications would have these apps available! I think a lot of times when people hear "apps" their mind goes to games and social media apps and not industry-specific apps.
    Problem is honestly the only way you can get those apps is to get more users on board.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 10:12 AM