"The experience that the majority of the new leadership team has in working together previously will drive change within the organization at a faster pace. I look forward to demonstrating these changes to the market." -J Chen

Looks like the Chen-dawg has now finished poaching his old crew to work for him and BlackBerry.

He obviously choose familiarity over most qualified.. could this be a bad thing?

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 08:38 AM
    Are you suggesting that because some of the team have worked together before that they are less "qualified" than others who could have filled the same role?
    01-13-14 08:48 AM
    You have to make sure that people under you have your back and completely trust your decisions, especially when you're doing something like turning a company around.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    01-13-14 08:49 AM
    No I'm not suggesting that

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 01:53 PM
    He obviously choose familiarity over most qualified.. could this be a bad thing?
    Why is that obvious? If Chen did a great job at Sybase with (at least some of) these people, that means they are less qualified than the alternative?

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    01-13-14 02:05 PM
    Just as long as he didn't hire/promote from within BlackBerry!

There maybe a few good people in there, but for the most part they all seem to have dram the Kool-Aid that Jim and Mike passed around years ago.
    01-13-14 02:24 PM
    Just as long as he didn't hire/promote from within BlackBerry!

There maybe a few good people in there, but for the most part they all seem to have dram the Kool-Aid that Jim and Mike passed around years ago.
    He had to move fast and didn't had the time to raise a team from within BlackBerry. Obviously, the people he found at the top when he arrived were not suited for the job (otherwise BlackBerry would not find itself in the current position). To identify good managers at the second level takes a lot of time, and time is what BlackBerry doesn't have right now.

Also, in many cases an outsider can understand a business better than one that has been involved in it for years. In BlackBerry's case I belive that the famous saying applies - "generals always fight the last war, especially if they have won it" - so in my opinion it was better to let out BlackBerry's generals.

--------------------

Pic Tagger for BB10 and PlayBook
    01-13-14 02:39 PM
    Actually, it's more true to say that the existing BB employees had their motivation sapped and their willingness to stand up and give an alternate opinion squashed by the corporate culture built by Mike and Jim, especially with Mike believing that he and only he knew what customers wanted. They didn't willingly drink any Kool-Aid, they just did what they had to in order to survive.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-13-14 02:44 PM
    They a have the experience that BlackBerry desperately needs right now. They need a new image and they need to fight the doubt that a lot of people have about this company. He is bringing in a team of people he has worked with before so their is already a synergy there and they have a history of turning a floundering company around.

C001B7B16 The Gif Exchange
    01-13-14 02:51 PM
    Familiarity wins over most experienced!

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 04:49 PM