No link because it's just happened on Call.

If it sells, Chen happy to replace BB10 with android and its also much cheaper to make an android device - he also pretty much confirmed the Driver theory - that he likes android because he doesn't have to spend money on drivers.

If anyone cannot see the writing on the wall at this point, please email me about some excellent swamp-front real estate I have for sale.
    09-25-15 07:29 AM
    He has said he isn't emotional about hardware.... His job is to make money.
    09-25-15 07:32 AM
    and He is completely right!

BlackBerry sold 800'000 phones last quarter, Android is the only way forward, and it's not even sure that it will work, but it is the only way forward...
    09-25-15 07:38 AM
    Sadly there is no alternative to Android if hardware is to survive. BB10 will live but it will be subsidized by Android sales. If Priv sells..

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    09-25-15 07:45 AM
    He has said he isn't emotional about hardware.... His job is to make money.

Still sitting on $3 billion and can't figure out how to leverage that to get a toe into the app market.
    Can't figure out how to get that sticker tag next to Google Play, iStore and Amazon Store.

Nobody with vision in BlackBerry?
    Claim you have the best OS and the most secure OS and can't relay that into wins on 2nd/3rd party docs?
    FF22 likes this.
    09-25-15 07:47 AM
    Still sitting on $3 billion and can't figure out how to leverage that to get a toe into the app market.
    Can't figure out how to get that sticker tag next to Google Play, iStore and Amazon Store.

Nobody with vision in BlackBerry?
    Claim you have the best OS and the most secure OS and can't relay that into wins on 2nd/3rd party docs?
    Clearly no and they aren't going to spend anymore money finding out.
    09-25-15 07:48 AM

BlackBerry sold 800'000 phones last quarter, Android is the only way forward, and it's not even sure that it will work, but it is the only way forward...
    As much as I like OS10 and it's great features, Chen is correct about taking the direction of Android for the future of the company.

Android and IOS are the dominant platforms now and you can bet some of their larger enterprise clients have also pushed them in that direction.

As a business person myself, the first and most important job of any CEO is to have a continuous revenue stream and products that will ensure its survival.

Let it or not, the OS bar has already been set a long time ago and they did give a their best shot with OS10, but as I have said many times before.

In today's highly competitive and changing market, it's either roll with them or get rolled over, period.
    09-25-15 07:49 AM
    Thanks to Chen for ruining a great device, and a lovely OS
    09-25-15 07:49 AM
    Talks about IoT and thinks that BlackBerry can compete on software alone.
    I know he's talking about QNX and some things down the road, maybe some chips.
    But, BlackBerry needs IoT hardware. Google and Apple are trying to chew up the healthcare industry with crappy add-on IoT junk. BlackBerry is doing messaging. This is pathetic. Use that money to by Hexoskin or a handful of other smart clothing/gear/gadget startups and make a presence in IoT.
    09-25-15 07:56 AM
    Chen didn't ruin it. The market did. (and Heins/Balsillie/Lazaridis). By the time Chen stepped in, the ship already sailed.
    09-25-15 07:57 AM
    You mean already started to sink
    As much as I am open to BlackBerry making Android devices, I really dislike the name of the slider... let's take a Privie selfie duh.

Chen didn't ruin it. The market did. (and Heins/Balsillie/Lazaridis). By the time Chen stepped in, the ship already sailed.

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    09-25-15 08:52 AM
    It's too little too late. Blackerry now going to android will be the final nail in the coffin. Sad to see they had such great talent but at the same time made so many idiotic moves. (like Nortel) Blackberry had so many chances and blew them all. The priv isn't going to be a Knight in shining armor to revive their hardware sales slump. Certainly not in the consumer market, the name has long been tainted.

Blackberry has shown time and time again they like to abandon hardware and shrug their shoulders, while the customer is left with junk!
    eldeestephens and techvisor like this.
    09-25-15 08:58 AM
    Chen is doing the right thing! SHOW ME THE MONEY!!! Nice guys finish last.
    09-25-15 09:01 AM
    Wow... haven't commented in a while.

Why is this a surprise (of some sort)? This was coming on. BB10 is awesome. We've all agreed to that. But after all that's happened, it wasn't going to float in the current market, regardless of what BlackBerry did. I don't like android much to be completely honest with you, and as much as it is a sour grape to swallow, Priv has a better chance at market penetration than BB10 had.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-25-15 09:02 AM
    I'm happy to replace BlackBerry with another manufacturer too. One that is more stable and has their **** together. How can you believe anything this company says. They will change directions quarterly, while accomplishing nothing because they are slow!

Posted via Z30
    09-25-15 09:07 AM
    Chen happy to replace BB10 with android as long as it sells-mymemes_4.png

Quot homines, tot sententiae!
    09-25-15 09:08 AM
    Wow... haven't commented in a while.

Why is this a surprise (of some sort)? This was coming on. BB10 is awesome. We've all agreed to that. But after all that's happened, it wasn't going to float in the current market, regardless of what BlackBerry did. I don't like android much to be completely honest with you, and as much as it is a sour grape to swallow, Priv has a better chance at market penetration than BB10 had.
    I agree on all points... what I want and what is market reality aren't always the same (I'm a guy who only drive manual transmission, so I know the pain!)

+Bonus points because you said "penetration"

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, T-Mobile, no camera, 10.3.2.2474
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-25-15 09:13 AM
    Chen is picking up the remains, you should be blaming Thor for not pushing BB10 hard enough when the time was right, we were 2 years behind on everything when it came out.
    09-25-15 09:22 AM

My Z30 is two years old maybe if they delived a touch phone like the rest of the business once in a while people would buy a phone from them.
    Allanon89 likes this.
    09-25-15 09:25 AM

BlackBerry's ASP of those 800000 phones was $240. This implies that the majority of phones were Z10, Z30, and Leap as they are closer to or below that number, and not Classic and Passport which are $400 to $600 each. Imagine that most of the phone they are selling are two year old or low end all touch and not PKB square screen devices! They could have doubled sales with a higher end all touch, but that doesn't fit in with Chen's plan of killing BB10 and eventually handsets, but doing it while giving the appearance of trying to be successful. This is in hopes of minimizing business customer defections. So they release horrible Bb10 devices that few want and say they tried but couldn't make it work.

Posted via Z30
    Allanon89, Blacklatino and phuoc like this.
    09-25-15 09:36 AM
    No link because it's just happened on Call.

If it sells, Chen happy to replace BB10 with android and its also much cheaper to make an android device - he also pretty much confirmed the Driver theory - that he likes android because he doesn't have to spend money on drivers.

If anyone cannot see the writing on the wall at this point, please email me about some excellent swamp-front real estate I have for sale.

Here he pretty much says they're dumping BB10 if the Android phone sells well

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...service=mobile

I still want a Z50
    ddp_in likes this.
    09-25-15 09:43 AM
    I'm sorry. I fail to see how did Chen ruin the device and OS? BlackBerry made a large number of missteps under Mike & Jim and Thorston. They lead to the OS and brand name being what they are today. Chen's trying to steer the ship back. And if you'd take emotion out of it, you'd see what he's doing is the only way to save the hardware division. They only sold 800 000 units last quarter. Are you proposing that he keeps selling just BlackBerry 10 until that number hits zero?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 10:14 AM
    Sorry but it was ruined long before JC showed up. . He is just trying to make a buck. His problem is his obsession with physical keyboards.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-25-15 10:46 AM
    I'm sorry. I fail to see how did Chen ruin the device and OS? BlackBerry made a large number of missteps under Mike & Jim and Thorston. They lead to the OS and brand name being what they are today. Chen's trying to steer the ship back. And if you'd take emotion out of it, you'd see what he's doing is the only way to save the hardware division. They only sold 800 000 units last quarter. Are you proposing that he keeps selling just BlackBerry 10 until that number hits zero?

Posted via CB10
    He came in 9 months after the Bb10 launch and did nothing to try to make BB10 successful, or change the image of BlackBerry. He basically soft launched the Z30, killed off everything but the Passport, a low selling device, and took over a year to slap a tool belt on a Q10 and said it was what people wanted (wrong!), and then made a Leap. He has been buying software revenue and killing hardware.

Posted via Z30
    Blacklatino and Allanon89 like this.
    09-25-15 10:56 AM
    Thanks to Chen for trying to keep afloat BlackBerry as a whole company, and giving us in the past amazing phones like the Passport that i have enjoyed a LOT
    09-25-15 11:00 AM
126 123 ...