He said that blackberry has 50% chance of succeeding...is he not being to honest? bad for future buyers ? I think that this will have negative effects on the consumers that's looking for a phone to buy...with him saying that people will be held back from trusting BlackBerry...I don't know this is my personal opinion.
    What do you guys think about Chen's comments about BlackBerry's chance of succeeding ?

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 10:26 AM
    He said that blackberry has 50% chance of succeeding...is he not being to honest? bad for future buyers ? I think that this will have negative effects on the consumers that's looking for a phone to buy...with him saying that people will be held back from trusting BlackBerry...I don't know this is my personal opinion.
    What do you guys think about Chen's comments about BlackBerry's chance of succeeding ?

Posted via CB10
    Can you please post a link to an article to give us the full context in which this was said?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-05-14 10:30 AM
    You are looking at this the wrong way. All he saying is he has a vision and he has a 50 percent change to fail or make it. Nothing wrong with that. If he said yeah I am 100 percent sure this plan will work and it doesn't he will then lose all his accountability. He is just being cautious.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 10:31 AM
    03-05-14 10:33 AM
    Well see how things will work out
    You are looking at this the wrong way. All he saying is he has a vision and he has a 50 percent change to fail or make it. Nothing wrong with that. If he said yeah I am 100 percent sure this plan will work and it doesn't he will then lose all his accountability. He is just being cautious.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 10:34 AM
    Original FT Interview:
    John Chen realistic about BlackBerry turnround - FT.com

Video link: Changing BlackBerry's fortunes - FT Business - Companies & Management Video - FT.com

That "50:50 chance" quote is nowhere to be found in the video interview itself.

As a matter of fact, the interview is rather upbeat and candid, as is the title of the FT article.
    Last edited by Corbu; 03-05-14 at 12:00 PM.
    03-05-14 10:35 AM
    Would you rather him lie and say that 10s of millions Q10 devices like Thorsten did?

Anything in life is 50:50 really, so he really isn't saying much.
    Camelhmpz and Blacklatino like this.
    03-05-14 10:37 AM
    Yeah, they are a little more disheartening than anything. But I appreciate the honesty. I feel he is even sugar coating it slightly and being optimistic. It's hard to succeed when it seems Everyone wants so badly for you to fail. People genuinely enjoy the struggles of Blackberry. They like spreading the bad news. They love saying, "but it's still a BlackBerry" or "I don't like BlackBerry" when you show them so many real life situations as to why your phone is a better option for them. It's sickening at times.

I have a friend who constantly asks to do stuff on my phone, always asking me to use my phone to do xyz task for his benefit; but he still says. "I don't want a 'blackberry', everyone HAS iphone".

Le Sigh.
    JesseBabe23 and mkiiw like this.
    03-05-14 10:37 AM
    Same here...I've bought the z10,q10 and now have the z30...I've given away the z10 and the q10 to my family and they all liked it more then the iPhone and haven't looked back...it's sucks that people don't give it a chance...it really bothers me...where I work nobody knew that blackberry released a new phone (Z30) It's sad.
    Yeah, they are a little more disheartening than anything. But I appreciate the honesty. I feel he is even sugar coating it slightly and being optimistic. It's hard to succeed when it seems Everyone wants so badly for you to fail. People genuinely enjoy the struggles of Blackberry. They like spreading the bad news. They love saying, "but it's still a BlackBerry" or "I don't like BlackBerry" when you show them so many real life situations as to why your phone is a better option for them. It's sickening at times.

I have a friend who constantly asks to do stuff on my phone, always asking me to use my phone to do xyz task for his benefit; but he still says. "I don't want a 'blackberry', everyone HAS iphone".

Le Sigh.

Posted via CB10
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    03-05-14 10:47 AM
    Thank-you for the link. Given what we've seen from Chen so far, it sounds like his cautious outlook. I agree that particular statement doesn't exude confidence but so far almost everything else we've seen has been quite decisive. I just spent some time looking at Z30 reviews (I have a Z10 but I'm thinking about pulling the trigger early despite the fact I still have 12 months left in my contract) and they are all so outstanding, I can't help but feel BBRY has something solid to work with here. Hopefully BBRY can find a way to leverage these very happy customers to more respect for the brand.
    03-05-14 11:13 AM
    If the future was certain then ANYONE could run BBRY (or any other company for that matter.) The future is NOT certain and Chen has about 21 months to show his bosses the money (24 - 3 months on the job = 21 months). BBRY WILL be a different company in 21 months. I am hopeful that it is profitable then and continues making great products. I think they are on the right track and I like what I have seen so far.
    03-05-14 11:29 AM
    Original FT Interview:
    John Chen realistic about BlackBerry turnround - FT.com

Video link: Changing BlackBerry's fortunes - FT Business - Companies & Management Video - FT.com

That "50:50 chance" quote is nowhere to be found in the video interview itself.
    Thanks for sharing. I totally agree with you that there was no where in that interview that JC said 50/50. It simply amazing how people spin and twist things. SMH.
    03-05-14 11:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    In other words he is saying that "the glass is half full"

The context from where he is coming from can be taken from either an optimistic or a pessimistic point of view.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    KemKev likes this.
    03-05-14 11:46 AM
    Never mind the link you just posted. Don't believe everything you read at face value.
    Please watch "CORBU's" link before you jump to hasty conclusions.

Video link:
    Changing BlackBerry's fortunes - FT Business - Companies & Management Video - FT.com
    Corbu likes this.
    03-05-14 11:47 AM
    I would suggest that he's really just being humble. Of course most of us here would hope for BlackBerry's turnaround, and the consensus is that Chen's the one to do it. Let's all just hope that he succeeds...not just for BlackBerry, but also for the sake of mobile computing at large.

Posted via CB10
    Corbu likes this.
    03-05-14 11:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    I guess it depends on if you cup is half full or half empty...I'll opted for half full

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    03-05-14 12:02 PM
    Well see how things will work out

Posted via CB10
    You have a 50/50 chance of falling down every flight of stairs you come across, sorry if it's the other 50 but I would enjoy the successful trips while you can. Can't always be a negative nancy!

By the way, apple and android have a 50/50 chance of failing or succeeding too.

Hate solves nothing, Respect gains everything!
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    03-05-14 12:03 PM
    N4BB report references "Financial Post", whereas it is actually "Financial Times". Secondly, in the video, Chen never says "50/50" and is only stated as a quote by the reporter in his written lead in....the credibility of this entire message is lacking.
    Corbu likes this.
    03-05-14 12:29 PM
    I also did not here this explicitly said, but Chen knows. Under promise, over deliver.
    03-05-14 12:36 PM
    All things considered, I'm still optimistic about where BlackBerry is headed and/or how long it will take them to get there. But, I don't want to here how well BlackBerry is going to do. I, like others, I want to see it. So, for me, glass is half full.
    03-05-14 12:41 PM
    03-05-14 01:19 PM
    I watched the video posted by Corbu (thanks). From my perspective this interview sounds like the glass is at least 3/4's Full. My advice to the OP is work on not letting the "none" BlackBerry is my # 1 platform lovers, or people not showing BlackBerry love at all, get to you. BlackBerry is obviously doing something right. I believe the BlackBerry Love, and the Efficiency of BlackBerry is finding ways to work itself out. We are seeing promising beginnings with Mr Chen at the helm. Think Live Long and Prosper BlackBerry. We are with you. And use yourself as a weapon whenever possible with the love (if you can) for BlackBerry. BlackBerry has given us "Great" Phones! I see no reason we should not continue to spread our love of our cell phone journey with Pride and Happiness. We Focus on BlackBerry Being Here Forever. GREAT Phones!
    03-05-14 03:32 PM
    Mr Chen is lot more honest than Thor! And me saying that was "One of the hardest decisions I had to make"
    03-06-14 05:09 AM