Hi Everyone,

Our head of school has a BB Curve with AT&T. He's going to Scotland for about two weeks and would like both voice and data while he's there. What's the cheapest way of doing this? Just using AT&T's international plans?

If anyone could give me some estimates to pricing I would really appreciate it. I'm having a hard time finding anything beyond $.99/min voice rates for international BB use.

Thanks!
    04-12-10 12:35 PM
    When he goes to Scotland, find a carrier out there and just buy a prepaid BB plan.
    04-12-10 12:54 PM
    Getting a prepaid sim is the cheapest. nothing beats that.
    04-12-10 01:04 PM
    Stay away from voice as much as possible. Either he will get hit for roaming, or if he gets a local SIM here in UK he will get hit for international rates every time he calls back to USA.

My suggestion is to get the phone unlocked anyway so it will accept a sim from other networks, and check the websited for the major UK providers who offer BB, and compare their prepay rates with AT&T roaming.

O2 | The UK's Leading Provider of Mobile Phones, Broadband & SIMs
    Mobile Phones | Broadband & Mobile Broadband UK Deals | Free Web Email | Orange.co.uk
    Vodafone - Mobile Phones, Mobile Internet, Broadband & Email

The other option is to roam his BB on data only for emails etc, and pick up a cheap local prepay phone and SIM for calls in-country when he gets here. Most of the supermarkets have a reasonable range now at prices which are almost disposable.
    04-12-10 01:21 PM
    Thank you both for the info. I'd certainly love for him to just grab a prepaid SIM while he's there, but let's just say he's not the most tech savvy...

I'll see what AT&T's rates for data are and see if I can get him to solely use Skype for voice while he's there.

If anyone has info on AT&T's roaming data rates, please post!

Thanks again!
    04-12-10 01:23 PM
    Data Global Add-Ons for BlackBerry�, iPhone™, Smartphone, and other devices*

*Quick Messaging and Touch devices

Keep up with email and browse the Web with your BlackBerry, iPhone++, Smartphone, and other devices* when you travel abroad. AT&T has created Data Global Add-Ons with lower rates in more than 90 countries. Discounted Countries are subject to change. For a complete list of discounted countries visit att.com/dataconnectglobal for current information.
    There are four packages available:

•$24.99/month: 20 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 20 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    •$59.99/month: 50 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 50 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    •$119.99/month: 100 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 100 MB of usage within more than 90 countries
    •$199.99/month: 200 MB Data Global Add-On gives you 200 MB of usage within more than 90 countries

From the AT&T website
    AT&T International - Wireless from AT&T

It would be pro-rated for the time he is there I believe (VZW does this, I don't see why AT&T does not)
    04-12-10 01:50 PM
    Thank you for the info!
    04-12-10 05:05 PM
    Skype only works in the US right now from what I've read. So that won't be an option.
    04-13-10 10:11 AM
    ...and Skype wouldn't be true VoIP anyway, if you mean the sub-par application Verizon has pushed to its users.

Cheapest way for data would be to find out if free WiFi access is possible (assuming the BlackBerry Curve is one that supports WiFi, e.g. Curve 8320 / 8520 / 8900) and use that when abroad. For voice you may want to look into the option of getting a local SIM and in addition a phone card that allows for cheaper international calling (might affect call quality, keep that in mind).
    04-13-10 11:51 AM
    I was referring to Skype on his laptop...

I think we're going to throw on one of the international data packs and the discounted voice packs for ease of use.

Thank you all for the help!
    04-13-10 12:32 PM
    If you're going to the UK, I believe Orange UK offers prepaid BIS..."Blackberry pay-as-you-go"

You can also look into that, as it would function seamlessly with your existing blackberry setup.
    04-13-10 12:59 PM
    Good suggestion, I'll look into it.

Thanks!
    04-13-10 01:40 PM
    Yes Orange UK does provide prepaid BIS. I'm actually looking into it for my trip in June.

Realistically though, its SUPER easy to unlock a phone arrange for a prepaid sim..heck you can usually even buy them online and get it sent to wherever he is so he's 100% prepared before he goes lol
    04-13-10 09:59 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, but this is a very last minute thing so we don't have time to get a pre-paid SIM here.

I think we'll be fine just paying for the international data/voice through AT&T. Next time though we'll certainly do a prepaid SIM.

Thanks!
    04-14-10 06:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD