I have over $700 worth of calls to Mexico and El Salvador that simply were not made from my son's phone. At the beginning of January, I bought my son a refurbished World Edition to replace his Pearl. On 03/01/2010, International calls started showing up for his number. The problem is that the calls are made at times when he doesn't even have his phone! I personally secure his phone on school mornings and lock it up after he gets on the bus! The first two billings were $50 and $30, respectively! I talked to my carrier about it, but they were really no help at all. I paid the bills anyway. The calls stopped for a couple of weeks, but then I received a new billing for $948 of which $700+ are international!!! I filed a dispute, but the carrier denied my claim!! I have the detailed billing, and I know for a fact that there is NO WAY those call could have been made from my son's phone! The longer calls (70-150 minutes) are even OVERLAPPING the legitimate calls made from this phone!!!

The carrier is giving me the "run-around", and I want to know is there anyone out there who can tell me what my next step should be? I am sick over this because these calls are fraudulent, but I don't know how to prove it to the carrier.
    05-12-10 12:17 PM
    Holy mostacciolli! I would be FURIOUS. Did you try talking to the supervisor/manager or did you only talk to whoever answered the phone?
    05-12-10 12:24 PM
    I was transferred TWICE to a supervisor that never picked up the phone!! So now I'm on the "list" to receive a call back!! It's like they aren't making any effort to even acknowledge that these calls are highly unusual for my account! It really pisses my off!!
    05-12-10 12:28 PM
    Try filing a complaint with the BBB? See how fast that gets them to call you back.

I agree with you, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the calls never came from that phone.
    05-12-10 12:31 PM
    That is what I'm seeking here: options that are available to me. I am willing to write anyone and everyone I possible can to get this resolved. I got my son a different phone and phone number recently. Not sure if the calls have stopped yet because of my billing cycle.
    05-12-10 12:34 PM
    05-12-10 12:39 PM
    Thanks, Pi Guy 3.14!!
    05-12-10 12:41 PM
    No problemo. It looks like they have a fairly good record of resolving the issues.

Hope it works out for you! Let us know how it goes.
    05-12-10 12:57 PM
    I'd go into a store and have a store manager call for you. Bring in a print out of your detailed bill showing the overlapping calls. Try to go in and explain it as calmly as possible to the store manager, you'll be much better received that way. Also, go to a corporate location for this.
    05-12-10 01:03 PM
    The longer calls (70-150 minutes) are even OVERLAPPING the legitimate calls made from this phone!!!

The carrier is giving me the "run-around", and I want to know is there anyone out there who can tell me what my next step should be? I am sick over this because these calls are fraudulent, but I don't know how to prove it to the carrier.
    It sounds like the phone's identity has been cloned, the overlapping calls are strong evidence for this. You need to have the carrier pull the records for the calls and identify the cells through which they were made - chances are they will be hundreds of miles from your location which would prove beyond doubt that it wasn't one call on hold while making another.

Remember that cloned phones are often used for the purpose crime and look at the locations called. If I had to make a guess I would suspect the rogue calls from the ghost phone are made in connection with heavy duty narcotics trafficing. You need to decommission the phone as soon as possible - before you attract the wrong kind of police attention, and probably raise a complaint with law enforcement as well as the cellco. Get your version in first before they knock your door at 5am with a search warrant. Stick with it and don't give up.
    05-12-10 01:18 PM
    Call your state attorney general and file a complaint. They love going after bad buisness pratices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    One more avenue to try. Here in CT water companies, electric, gas and telephone
    (including cellular) are regulated by the Department of Public Utility Control (DPUC).
    See if your state has such an agency and file a complaint there also.
    Lot of good suggestions here and I would add one, that may be much more simple AND FASTER. Most cities have a local TV News "Consumer Action" department. They are quite effective in getting things resolved as few companies like being made to look like fools on television broadcast. The TV stations are quick to act and love this kind of stuff....I can see your situation as making some Prime Time viewing! Please keep us posted.
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 05-12-10 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Left out important point--SPEED!
    05-12-10 01:29 PM
    Wow- that's crazy!! Great advice on here. Good luck with everything-let us know how it turns out..
    05-12-10 01:49 PM
    Thanks, Everyone!! I just got a call from my carrier, and they found that ALL the international calls were not ours!!! So even the calls I previously paid for are being refunded back to my account! Whew! They did not go into details about how it happened or what they discovered, but they are having to go in and "reset" the phone and/or number to prevent it from happening again! I cannot even express my sense of relief at this moment!!
    05-18-10 02:34 PM
    Sweeeeeeeeet.... That is the best news. Good job!
    05-18-10 02:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD