Hello Everyone

I work for a company that for several years now have used Blackberries company wide with great success. This is\should be our standard and as the main IT contact, I am very satisfied with the units and the BES Server.
    I have had several request from users wanting the company to purchase i-phones for there use in lieu of the Blackberry. While I suspect this is mostly the �cool� factor and the barrage of advertising but, have been able to just say no thus far since our CFO (my boss) did not like them� OK, now here is the trouble � CFO leaves company; new CFO is diehard Crapintosh (sorry, had to) and wants to use his I-phone. This of course will start a chain reaction since the head of the company does not want to confront him. So, looking for good argument to not use the i-phone � I am not against them as they are fun to play with but, functionality wise on the business front I don�t see it. So, please let me know your thought on making sure we stay Blackberry - Thanks
    02-12-09 11:00 PM
    Aren't BlackBerries more secure?
    02-12-09 11:11 PM
    The ease of a physical keyboard versus a touchscreen. That and a BB is made for company use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 11:16 PM
    That's a tough one. It really depends how you have it setup and you already have the BES server setup.... Makes it easier to manage the Blackberries. That is on you. I have known people who has had it in their business networks and like it and don't mind it. If you don't want to deal with it, you just have to come up with something to tell your CFO to explain to him that it is not worth it and it will not be worth it for the company to get them.
    02-12-09 11:17 PM
    Welcome to crackberry!
    02-12-09 11:20 PM
    Easy... Security. And also have you ever worked on an iphone when active sync fails? It sucks hard. BES also gives you more control. Don't believe all the hype...the Iphone is a dummy phone not a smartphone.

02-12-09 11:38 PM
    Thanks for the input so far... I agree on the security etc. It is also helpful when you can keep tabs on clients contact time - you know they are receiveing mail or not via BES. I have used an i-phone with no issue mail wise (i was testing the functionality useing a friend's). It just frustrating when you have people that want to use them just because of hype - combine that with no backing from upper management... For what it is intended for - I love the blackberry.
    02-13-09 10:20 PM
    I'm not sure about BES, but I find BIS overhyped. Its great to have all your emails on PUSH, but most people can live with 15min fetch. The "IMAP" of BIS is very limited. There is no two way sync, I can't undelete emails, and there is no folder support. As great as PUSH is, the mail application on iphone is much better than BIS.

In my opinion, a jailbroken iphone is better than a BB on BIS. As "hyped" as the iphone is, its actually a very powerful and capable device after jailbreaking. The developer community behind the iphone is very active in making the iphone better. I have video recording, mms, copy&paste,search, themes, better sms, and other great apps. If you can, jailbreak your iphone and you'll be much happier.

Last edited by gbadude; 02-14-09 at 05:13 AM.
    02-13-09 10:32 PM
    I'm not sure about BES, but I find BIS overhyped. Its great to have all your emails on PUSH, but most people can live with 15min fetch. The "IMAP" of BIS is very limited. There is no two way sync, I can't undelete emails, and there is no folder support. As great as PUSH is, the mail application on iphone is much better than BIS in my opinion.

In my opinion, a jailbroken iphone is better than a BB on BIS. As "hyped" as the iphone is, its actually a very powerful and capable device after jailbreaking. The developer community behind the iphone is very active in making the iphone better. I have video recording, mms, copy&paste,search, themes, better sms, and other great apps. If you can, jailbreak your iphone and you'll be much happier.

I dunno, I had the iPhone (both original and the 3G) for over a year and every time I used the Mail.app I wanted to constantly bang my head on the wall.

I think the biggest pain was navigating through folders/mailboxes. To check my mail, I'd need to click the icon, wait for it to load, then click the mailbox, click the Inbox. Then if I wanted to go back and check another mailbox, I needed to press back twice to get to the mailbox list again, and then go through the same process for every mailbox.

I agree though. Integration with the mailbox is vastly superior on the iPhone. Different strokes for different folks!
    02-14-09 12:03 AM
    All I can say is the email push support and setup is much better on blackberry. When I went from berry to iphone I was upset and then went back to berry a week later lol

02-14-09 01:14 AM
    Make them support both, and get them to give you both.
    I can't even begin to describe the trouble people could get into if they jailbreak a work iphone - jailbreaking may be great but when it's technically not your property...

Secure, efficient. Yadayada. I work in aviation and defence and it's blackberry only, even winmo is frowned upon for security, iphone wouldn't have a hope of getting access to our network.

02-14-09 04:08 AM
    You can't run apps/processes in the background on the iPhone unless you jailbreak it. And I don't see any corporate IT dept even considering allowing iphones that have been broken.
    02-14-09 04:37 AM
    You can't run apps/processes in the background on the iPhone unless you jailbreak it. And I don't see any corporate IT dept even considering allowing iphones that have been broken.
    Yeah I can definitely understand that. Like I said, I can't really say much about BES since I've never used it. But I do think that for those of us on BIS, iPhones are not as as people make it seem.
    02-14-09 05:15 AM
    It sounds like the OP is in a work environment with BES already in place.

In that case, BIS information isn't really applicable. With the BES security, that is probably the best reason for him to stick to using Blackberries and not supporting iPhones. If they are using MDS, then even more reason to stick to using BBs.

I heard on the last podcast that they are going to be rolling out more features with BES/MDS. In essence, your BB becomes your office extension, so even if you are out of the office, your BB answers as if you were at your desk, and calls look like they are from your desk. I think that is pretty neat for the business environment.
    02-14-09 07:25 AM
    Ask said new CFO (or better, have the CEO ask) how much budget (thousands of $$) he proposes to allocate, and which existing budgets will be stripped to provide the funding ...

1. (a) to support one 'foreign' device amongst the existing BlackBerry fleet, because global replacement can't be justified on economic grounds. There are better things to do with company funds during a recession.
    -OR-
    2. (a) to duplicate and test the existing secure BES setup which has proved itself in service for n months/years.
    (b) to retire (scrap) existing handsets and replace with new
    (c) to retrain support staff and users on new system.
    (d) to operate both systems in parallel during implementation and testing.

If he's a professional CFO the business case should be pretty clear and the problem will go away. He can continue to run his personal iphone as a personal device for his personal traffic.
    02-14-09 02:29 PM
    The physical keyboard is the ONLY real plus the BB has in my eyes. Can't comment on the email aspect of the iphone as I've never used that feature. In the business aspect though, the BB is king in my eyes. The iphone though is moving up in the world simply cause of the cool factor and sooner or later either apple will have to beef up the security and make it a true business phone, or everyone will realize what a crock of **** the iphone is and that will be the end of it...

02-14-09 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD