Okay so here's the deal. Someone I know bought a storm some time ago and unlocked it so they would be able to use their AT&T sim card with the storm. Problem here is that they are not able to connect to the internet being told that there is no browser. I checked the usual Host Routing Table and there wasnt anything in there. i went to resend their service books and again was not able to, nothing showed up. I was given the option to retry or cancel. Cancelling became the only option. Im wondering if it is possible to do an upgrade with their storm, delete the vendor file so that the above will exist allowing them access to the internet. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it... He talked to his carrier and was told they couldnt' help him out since it's not their phone and they "don't know anything about its operation".

Thanks again!
    BTW They were emailed three unlock codes.
    Last edited by Camel_Back; 05-21-09 at 11:47 PM.
    05-21-09 11:21 PM
    Okay so here's the deal. Someone I know bought a storm some time ago and unlocked it so they would be able to use their AT&T sim card with the storm. Problem here is that they are not able to connect to the internet being told that there is no browser. I checked the usual Host Routing Table and there wasnt anything in there. i went to resend their service books and again was not able to, nothing showed up. I was given the option to retry or cancel. Cancelling became the only option. Im wondering if it is possible to do an upgrade with their storm, delete the vendor file so that the above will exist allowing them access to the internet. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it... He talked to his carrier and was told they couldnt' help him out since it's not their phone and they "don't know anything about its operation".

Thanks again!

you can definitely wipe it and install a OS on it. if you look at the storm blogs on the main page kevin usually posts links to all the how to on upgrading leaked os' and such
    05-21-09 11:23 PM
    the AT&T sim card, does it have a BB data plan activated under it or a regular At&t data plan??
    05-21-09 11:29 PM

Thanks again!

the AT&T sim card, does it have a BB data plan activated under it or a regular At&t data plan??
    05-21-09 11:29 PM
    Plain old AT&T data plan
    05-21-09 11:49 PM
    05-21-09 11:51 PM
    Where it says Method #2, theres a black text underline that say "Next you need At&t Generic Service Books below." Where can i get that?

And thanks for the link
    Sorry, this is what i meant "Download/Save to your desktop, right click on the Zip file and select "Extract All". Inside is one .ipd file. You'll come back to it in step 3." What is it im suppose to d/l and save to the desktop, the exe file?
    Last edited by Camel_Back; 05-22-09 at 12:00 AM.
    05-21-09 11:57 PM
    Where it says Method #2, theres a black text underline that say "Next you need At&t Generic Service Books below." Where can i get that?

And thanks for the link

If you scroll to the very bottom of the first post, you can download them there. And also, I'd stick to method 1 if you're able to.
    I've personally done it many times on quite a few Storms. It works as advertised.
    05-21-09 11:59 PM
    Im going to try this out tomorrow night. I just called my boy and told him it might be possible. He's been itchin to get beyond using the storm for just a phone and mp3 player. I have to get the phone from him at work tomorrow so i'll try it then. Thanks alot for the help and the link. Do you think it'll be possible to first before doing the first method to upgrade the OS?
    05-22-09 12:05 AM
    Okay, everything seemed to work except that 1. The internet is real slow, 2. Things like myspace, weatherbug, don't work or is saying some kind of restriction is happening.... 3. I tried to resend service books but it wont allow me to. Although his sms mms and browser do work... any suggestions would be great.
    05-24-09 09:54 AM
    Plain old AT&T data plan
    I *think* that is your problem. You need to have a BlackBerry data plan.
    05-25-09 10:54 AM
    I *think* that is your problem. You need to have a BlackBerry data plan.
    Even though this is a very old thread it is worth pointing out that all legacy BlackBerrys need a BB data plan but if the carrier tries to sell you a BB plan for a BB10 device, they are misinformed. I activated a new Q10 on Bell and the rep didn't know that it didn't need a BB data plan and was about to sell me one. Since BB10 devices can't get BIS, we shouldn't have to pay for it.
    sam81 likes this.
    11-10-13 11:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD