Wouldn't it be nice to get in the car, drop your BlackBerry into the center console and have it automatically recharge? General Motors Co. says it can make that happen.

The auto maker on Thursday expects to announce plans to install a device called the Powermat, developed by an Israeli technology company of the same name, in certain vehicles by mid-2012. A user could simply place a mobile device equipped with a special adaptor on the mat and it would deliver a wireless charge through so-called induction technology.

Powermat already sells an in-car charger that plugs into the vehicle's cigarette lighter and one for home use. The GM mats would be the first to be integrated into a car interior.

GM plans to show off the gadget in a Chevrolet Volt electric car at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
    GM to Install Phone Recharging Mat in Cars - WSJ.com
    01-05-11 09:02 PM
    It's the special adapter that is the sticking point for me with these mats. I don't want to wrap my phone with their product just for charging.
    01-05-11 11:50 PM
    It's the special adapter that is the sticking point for me with these mats. I don't want to wrap my phone with their product just for charging.
    Lol they're just the first - others will follow. I'm rather jazzed about it, I hate cord clutter in my car - especially on long trips when the wife has her electronic toys in addition to mine

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-11 11:58 PM
    +1

I seem to remember Powermat talking about having just batteries that you use in the device, so no dumb battery door to deal with. Maybe it was last year at CES, I'm not sure...

Edit: Yea, here's a link to the blog post about it CES 2010: PowerMat's To Be Released PowerPak Wireless Charging Solution is Freak'n Awesome! | CrackBerry.com there's many more by just googling "powermat ces 2010"

I guess even Powermat forgot they were suppose to release them in 2010
    Last edited by ridesno159; 01-06-11 at 01:23 AM.
    01-06-11 01:13 AM
    This sounds good. But don't they have those things coming soon for cyclists? Just wondering... I don't answer when cycling as it's too much of a dangerous distraction.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 02:28 AM
    I can see the likes of Otter, Seidio, etc., making cases (albeit a tad longer than current cases) with an adapter built in. Adapter fits into the port, case protects the phone, and some form of contact/surface on the phone meets the powermat for charging.
    01-06-11 07:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD