Original was Bold 9000. In 2009 the fantastic 9700. In 2011 the 9900, 2013 the Z10. Thanksgiving of 2014 added the Z30 (first truly "unlocked" device) purchased outright from BlackBerry. Feb 2015 picked up a White Passport (again unlocked and outright) from BlackBerry. Most recently-Nov 2015 my unlocked Classic. (from BlackBerry) All of the BlackBerry 10 devices work and operate flawlessly (thus I will very likely have them for a couple more years). Both the 9700 and 9900 still work well.

The newest member....Cobalt Classic
    02-03-16 01:12 AM
    Just wondering about a comment a few people made on here regarding the usability of the devices if/when Blackberry EOL's the BB10 OS.

Of course calls, messages etc will continue to "work" but someone said the browser wouldn't?? Is this correct?

Also in all honesty I don't think Blackberry knows what the strategy is long term here. At this particular stage we don't know if the Android hardware division will be a success. I highly doubt that they are going to EOL the BB10 and support a Android hardware division that losses money.

If they did drop BB10 in the very near future that would upset many customers. Customers who don't just purchase Blackberry devices but customers who have purchased BES, Good technology products and other services.

Another important item to note is security. I don't believe Blackberry has been able to "secure" Android to the level that they can get all the security certifications that they always discuss. Lots of talk from Blackberry about the highest level of security for departments such as the Department of Defense in the US.

Those industries and clients will need a commercial grade viable alternative.

Hopefully we can still get a few more years out of them in my opinion. Probably gonna go Classic in the next few months followed by a SE Passport for the long haul.

Long live Blackberry!

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 02:54 AM
    Well..there is memory, camera, thiness, lightness, processor speed, build quality, battery life, toughness and of course appearance.
    I agree, it's improvement in these things that we look for when upgrading a phone.

The current crop of flagships are all sporting 3GB RAM, Sony Xperia Z2 already had 3GB RAM and that phone is 3-4 generations old. 32Gb and 64gb storage has been staple for quite some time too. 20MP camera has been around since 2013 (even had a 40MP camera in the Lumia 1020). Same with 3000mah batteries which has been around since 2013. The thickness of the phone has been more or less the same for over four years (with the exception of some OEMs who cheat the thickness by having a protruding camera). Lighter phones? True but the difference is so little that you could barely notice it. Speed? Again true. But IMO it has also plateaued.

This is the same trend as the PC market. In the 80s and 90s computers where improving in leaps and bound. In the 2000s, it started to taper off. This doesn't mean there is no improvement but the improvement is sometimes incremental that people already skip a generation or two before upgrading. This can be seen in people still adopting to Windows XP instead of upgrading. Which Windows somehow corrected with the free Windows 10 upgrade.

IPads/tablets and smartphones has almost reached that point. So much so that people who used to update every generation are now skipping a year or two or even three before upgrading.
    02-03-16 03:47 AM
    I get a new cell phone itch about every 2.3 years. The phones are still functional, but I crave new toys.

I've almost had my Passport for a year. It's the first phone I've ever bought outright and unlocked. I have it on the now non existent bring your own device plan on Bell that's $40/month with a shared data add on. So I'm definitely going to buy outright next time and hold on to that plan.

Having said that, I briefly flirted with the idea of getting the XPERIA Z5 Premium. Then I thought about it for awhile, realized it really didn't do much more than my Passport. Think I'll hold on to the Passport for awhile. Don't really want to abandon it while it works so well. Also, I work in the oil and gas industry. Not a good time to waste money on toys.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 07:13 PM
    A good cell phone should last at least 4 years.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-16 03:01 AM
    A good cell phone should last at least 4 years.

Posted via CB10
    I think it's more a question of how long the user lasts before wanting a new one.

My last few purchases were driven by either excitement about something new (Z10/BB10, Passport) or curiosity (OnePlus One). They had nothing to do with my previous phone failing in any way.

Today, I find myself not very excited about anything I see coming, and not that curious either. I'm a little curious about WP10, but not curious enough to deal with the frustrations that I know I'd be facing. So I'll keep on truckin with the phones I have for a while yet.

Unless the Vienna turns out to be exciting...
    lysskr likes this.
    02-04-16 08:25 AM
    I get a new cell phone itch about every 2.3 years.
    You might want to check with your doctor. There may be a cream available to help with that.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-04-16 02:16 PM
    I have a cell phone life cycle medical condition. Buytoomanyitis.
    02-04-16 04:32 PM
    You might want to check with your doctor. There may be a cream available to help with that.

Posted via CB10
    If the cream is cheaper than a new phone, I'm in.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-16 06:18 PM
    I try to stay in the 2 year upgrade cycle. But I changed my mind a lot. I changed carriers. Changed phones. Went back and forth between iOS and Blackberry. It's hard with all the options out there. But I'm assuming that will soon change. Now it looks like a world with android versus Apple. And I'm saddened. Loved having options. Hopefully a disruptive company comes around next decade.
    02-04-16 06:33 PM
    I really don't know what the average is, but my phones seem to last an average of two years. My 9780 was about 2 and-a-half; my Q10 was a year and-a-half and still works pretty well; my Nexus 5 was about 16 months with some issues; and my G3 has only been in my possession for 3 months, so I haven't had the chance to mess it up yet... .

I want to go the full two years before I upgrade.
    02-04-16 06:50 PM
    What I find interesting, especially when I fire up older devices on WiFi, is that most of us consumers have been duped. If the software upgrades and makes a device BETTER and more responsive we don't really need to update as frequently as manufacturers and carriers wish for us to do so. To me, only my opinion, many of the upper end '13 devices operate and work perfectly acceptable for 90 percent of users needs. I realize many of us on here have multiple BlackBerry devices, including myself, but honestly my '13 Z10 is still one heck of a great device. Perhaps this is the saturation the greater market is experiencing.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    02-04-16 10:53 PM
    I usually upgrade after 2 to 3 years.

Nokia N8 2011 to 2014.
    BlackBerry Q10/Z10 2014 to now.

But I do not see any appealing devices on the market right now. So I will most likely just hang on to the Q10 and the Z10 for another couple years.

The first gen BlackBerry 10 devices are still quick enough, and have good enough cameras for me.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 10:12 AM
    I usually upgrade after 2 to 3 years.

Nokia N8 2011 to 2014.
    BlackBerry Q10/Z10 2014 to now.

But I do not see any appealing devices on the market right now. So I will most likely just hang on to the Q10 and the Z10 for another couple years.

The first gen BlackBerry 10 devices are still quick enough, and have good enough cameras for me.

Posted via CB10
    I think the original blackberry 10 devices will become the new "Windows XP". By that I mean people will still use these phones because they have unique features (Hub, keyboards) that cannot be found elsewhere. Basically the entire BB experience as a whole will become frozen in time. Ha. But that's fine. My office still has one pc still rocking Windows xp! That's like a 15 year old operating system. Haha
    skstrials likes this.
    02-05-16 10:37 AM
    I think the original blackberry 10 devices will become the new "Windows XP". By that I mean people will still use these phones because they have unique features (Hub, keyboards) that cannot be found elsewhere. Basically the entire BB experience as a whole will become frozen in time. Ha. But that's fine. My office still has one pc still rocking Windows xp! That's like a 15 year old operating system. Haha
    I don't know, BB10 seems to niche to be holding back the industry.
    02-05-16 10:41 AM
    Two to three years for me, thanks to BlackBerry devices.
    02-05-16 11:07 AM
    Of course calls, messages etc will continue to "work" but someone said the browser wouldn't?? Is this correct?
    Web browsers need to be continuously updated, as web coding practices change. And they do change, even in the absence of major changes in "official" standards. This is partly why all standalone desktop or mobile browsers get periodic updates. Security patches are another reason. If the BB10 browser isn't periodically updated, we can expect a gradual deterioration in performance as the web moves on. Gradually, more and more sites won't load or display properly.

But for a couple of years, even without updates, it should continue to work for most web sites, even if it gets slower relative to the competition.
    02-05-16 11:23 AM
    average is probably 1-2 yrs for a power user.....3 years for someone not so spec-conscious...add a year to both in blackberry land...
    02-15-16 02:22 PM
    My have used only BlackBerry phones in last 8 years . IMO life span is only one year .
    For me the life cycle of device is calculated time between launching of two devices. For example :
    Time span z10 to z30 = 16 months. Z30 was launched almost after 16 months of z10 launch. This was the longest haul when no successor was launched by BlackBerry and it started adding to my frustration as I cannot keep same device for more than a year.
    Time span between Passport black and Se : 15-16 months .
    Time span Se to Priv : 4 or 5 months.

For me I change my BlackBerry device immediately upon launch of a new Blackberry device .

Blackberry Priv on Etisalat 4G Network
    Last edited by IndianTiwari; 02-15-16 at 11:15 PM.
    02-15-16 09:34 PM
    What I find interesting, especially when I fire up older devices on WiFi, is that most of us consumers have been duped. If the software upgrades and makes a device BETTER and more responsive we don't really need to update as frequently as manufacturers and carriers wish for us to do so. To me, only my opinion, many of the upper end '13 devices operate and work perfectly acceptable for 90 percent of users needs. I realize many of us on here have multiple BlackBerry devices, including myself, but honestly my '13 Z10 is still one heck of a great device. Perhaps this is the saturation the greater market is experiencing.

Z10 on 10.3.2
    I agree. I only update or change because I get bored and it interests me to try different devices. It's a hobby but certainly not necessary.
    02-16-16 10:47 AM
45 12