Has anyone figured out what average cell phone life cycle is. I have been lucky to squeeze out about 3 years from my BlackBerry s before put them to rest. Coming up to 2 years on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-31-16 05:10 PM
    I am only on my second smartphone but I got 3 years out of the first one and it still works fine.
    I expect to get three years out of my current one.

My wife is on her second smartphone and got three years out the first one and it still works fine.
    She expects to get three years of out her current one.
    01-31-16 06:13 PM
    I expect around two years out of my device, but if I have the chance to upgrade and the price is right, I will update every year. I am a tech junkie and like to have the latest product out there.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-31-16 06:56 PM
    I used to go for two years, then got into the yearly thing with new BlackBerry devices. Now...I just don't feel that tempted by anything new. My OnePlus One is a year old and my Passport is older than that, and I still don't feel any itch to get a new phone. I'm slightly tempted to try Windows phone again, but not enough to pony up any money and do it.
    01-31-16 07:06 PM
    It's been about yearly for me since 2011.

A Bold 9900 in November-December 2011, then the Z10, Z30, Passport and Priv on launch.
    01-31-16 07:24 PM
    It's been about yearly for me since 2011.

A Bold 9900 in November-December 2011, then the Z10, Z30, Passport and Priv on launch.
    Nice to be rich
    lysskr likes this.
    01-31-16 08:58 PM
    Nice to be rich
    Yes it is

The secret is to never have children. All my friends with kids are broke and always complaining. All my money is for me and the wifey.

Posted via CB10
    lysskr likes this.
    01-31-16 09:12 PM
    Or your friends need to have a better job.
    But once the kids are grown up life restart at having more money.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    01-31-16 09:32 PM
    I think I read somewhere that the average life of a cell phone is around 18 months. BlackBerry users tend to keep their devices going longer at more than 24 months on average. (sorry I don't have that reference) . I tend to use my devices for about 2 years also. I have had my Passport for 15 months, so by the time 2017 comes around, I will start to look for a new device. Right now, for me, I have ALL options open.

What we got here is failure to communicate....
    01-31-16 10:13 PM
    About four years on my 9810 now the clock is running on my Classic, looking for another four years.
    01-31-16 11:17 PM
    The longest I kept a handset alive was my first BlackBerry, a Bold 9000. It lasted over 3 years until the charger/data port shorted out. Since then, it's been around 2 years, although I think I'll keep my Passport longer, unless it suffers physical damage.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    quincyg likes this.
    02-01-16 08:54 AM
    It really depends on how technology changes, and what you want out of a phone. But the replacement cycle is growing....

In 2014, the average handset replacement cycle grew to 26.5 months, an increase of 4.1 months compared to 2013.
    I would imagine that with most the carrier's having dropped the 2-year plans last year... that number will have only grown when the 2015 reports are issued.
    brookie229 likes this.
    02-01-16 11:30 AM
    Yes it is

The secret is to never have children. All my friends with kids are broke and always complaining. All my money is for me and the wifey.

Posted via CB10
    Couldn't image not having kids, but we all have different viewpoints.
    02-01-16 12:06 PM
    2007 - 2010: BlackBerry 8820
    2010 - 2013: BlackBerry 9700
    2013 - present: BlackBerry Z10

3 Years each

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 12:15 PM
    2007 - 2010: BlackBerry 8820
    2010 - 2013: BlackBerry 9700
    2013 - present: BlackBerry Z10

3 Years each

Posted via CB10
    My Z10 still works fine largely because I have the battery charger bundle and three batteries. I do find though that my mid range Android is quite a bit faster. I would still be on my Z10 but for the great deal I got over Christmas.

I still like using the Z10 for for browsing etc on WiFi. Still very useful unlike my Playbook and 9900.
    02-01-16 12:21 PM
    My phones have a two year life cycle on average. First year I use it, than it goes to the wife for the second year.
    This time we both have BlackBerry phones, I wonder how long they will last.
    She now has my 1,5 year old Z10, my Z30 is barely 3 months old. So that will give me about 9 months before I have to switch phones again.

Posted with a BlackBerry
    02-01-16 02:31 PM
    As a VZW customer, I've always made it a point to upgrade every 2 years. Mainly because it used to be that whether you were subsidizing a purchase or not, the monthly bill was the same. So after two years I figger'd I'd just plunk down the extra $100 to upgrade.

Now that VZW's practice has changed and you purchase the phone outright with the option for monthly installments, and once it's paid off my bill does get cheaper, I may be inclined to keep my devices longer as long as it does what I need.

I don't think I've ever purchased a new device simply because it wasn't able to keep up with demands. I always upgraded simply "just because" I could. Or I would purchase another device just because I was curious about the device and I had a surplus of cash that I didn't sweat spending.

I do have a drawer full of devices that are still serviceable to this day. I just never sell them second hand just in case I need a backup (which I have never had to do). Perhaps I should unload a few of them. I still have an OG Storm in that drawer.
    02-01-16 03:18 PM
    My standard is around 4-5 years for business and personal use.Not a social media or game enthusiast.

Michael in Atl

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 03:25 PM
    Currently still on BlackBerry Z10.

Michael in Atl

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 03:26 PM
    OS 10 is good for at least 10 years.
    02-01-16 06:49 PM
    I used to change phones very often. My previous Android Phones I change from 3 to 6 months. My iPhones I changed from 6-9 months. The longest I have used a phone was the Lumia 1020 but that was because of it's one of a kind camera. Then the Passport is now on it's 16th month (OG to SE counted as one) and I may go over to Blackberry Android (Priv or maybe a future device) but only if they port over Blend to Android.

But I do think now smartphones are plateauing in terms of their upgrades. New phones are just incremental upgrades of the older models. This is what is making it less appealing to buy/upgrade at a faster rate. There was a time when each upgrade would bring something new (better camera, faster processor, fingerprint scanner, Ram, etc) and the rate of improvement was so fast. Such that after buying a phone in a matter of three months a significantly better one is released. IMO that time has passed.
    02-01-16 07:05 PM
    I used to change phones very often. My previous Android Phones I change from 3 to 6 months. My iPhones I changed from 6-9 months. The longest I have used a phone was the Lumia 1020 but that was because of it's one of a kind camera. Then the Passport is now on it's 16th month (OG to SE counted as one) and I may go over to Blackberry Android (Priv or maybe a future device) but only if they port over Blend to Android.

But I do think now smartphones are plateauing in terms of their upgrades. New phones are just incremental upgrades of the older models. This is what is making it less appealing to buy/upgrade at a faster rate. There was a time when each upgrade would bring something new (better camera, faster processor, fingerprint scanner, Ram, etc) and the rate of improvement was so fast. Such that after buying a phone in a matter of three months a significantly better one is released. IMO that time has passed.
    Well..there is memory, camera, thiness, lightness, processor speed, build quality, battery life, toughness and of course appearance.
    02-01-16 07:20 PM
    I am using Z30 since it's launch in 2011. Haven't found good replacement so still carrying. Priv is too bulky and don't use physical keypad anymore, so interest for Priv. Looking for high end and light weight phone. Tempted several times towards iPhone 6s but because of SD drive option and email, couldn't go.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-16 08:06 PM
    I am using Z30 since it's launch in 2011. Haven't found good replacement so still carrying. Priv is too bulky and don't use physical keypad anymore, so interest for Priv. Looking for high end and light weight phone. Tempted several times towards iPhone 6s but because of SD drive option and email, couldn't go.

Posted via CB10
    Did you time travel to acquire your Z30?

*ME173X
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    02-01-16 08:33 PM
    Did you time travel to acquire your Z30?

*ME173X
    +2y

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    02-02-16 02:54 AM
45 12