04-23-13 06:59 AM
    Thank you for this, it is interesting to see how the restructuring costs for RIM/BB affected other companies.
    richardat likes this.
    04-23-13 07:07 AM
    It always sucks to lose a big customer but that is why having a good sales team in place is extremely important. They should always be looking for their next big fish as these things happen in every business.

Posted via CB10
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    04-23-13 07:11 AM
    Thank you for this, it is interesting to see how the restructuring costs for RIM/BB affected other companies.
    It's a shame it was a fellow Canadian company. I wonder which of their plants will be affected.
    Sith_Apprentice and richardat like this.
    04-23-13 07:18 AM
    It always sucks to lose a big customer but that is why having a good sales team in place is extremely important. They should always be looking for their next big fish as these things happen in every business.

Posted via CB10
    And the race to the bottom continues unabated. Poor show BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    04-24-13 06:04 AM
    This old news...goes back two quarters.

Race to bottom, what's the alternative? Close the doors and make everyone unemployed?

Posted via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    04-24-13 06:27 AM

How is this a "poor show"? If you can get what you need for a better price, and your current supplier won't match that price, then you move on. That's business. If the supplier doesn't have a sound business plan that goes beyond one customer, then that's their fault. And finally, if BlackBerry stuck with them, it could have an influence on the longevity of their business which, eventually, could have resulted in the same scenario for Celestica, and put thousands out of a job.

Posted via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    04-24-13 06:51 AM
    Cisco, Sun Micro. Oracle...just three of their clients, and the stock is up...

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 10:07 AM
    That's why a smart business doesn't put all their eggs in one basket.

The importance of diversifying. Even Apple was doing that by going away from Samsung for their parts.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 10:11 AM
    How is this a "poor show"? If you can get what you need for a better price, and your current supplier won't match that price, then you move on. That's business. If the supplier doesn't have a sound business plan that goes beyond one customer, then that's their fault. And finally, if BlackBerry stuck with them, it could have an influence on the longevity of their business which, eventually, could have resulted in the same scenario for Celestica, and put thousands out of a job.

Posted via CB10
    There are "those" who think you should pay the higher dollar for labor just so those people have a job no matter if it will be profitable or not! Kinda sounds like out government!

What is really needed is MORE COWBELL!!!
    04-24-13 11:32 AM
    Funny how when this was first announced last summer Celestica made it sound like they were cutting ties due to the upcoming demise of BBRY. Now we can see in the last BBRY financials that their profit margin on hand sets has increased. Good move on BBRY for dumping them. On the other hand Celestica's other customers might see some price increases due to their need to increase their revenue. This could result in a death spiral for Celestica as more of their other customers may be forced to leave as well. Says something for keeping your pencil sharp and always offering your customers the best deal possible rather than trying to make as much off of them as possible. Th

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    04-24-13 01:04 PM
    The issue of whether BB should support another Canadian company - along with the issue of foreign manufacturing is a huge and complex one - not well suited to trite answers.

I hope however, those who are being very dismissive of the notion of this type of support are just as quick , and willing, to eviscerate other forum members who say things like: "I support BB because they're Canadian", and "BB has a higher quality because they're not made in Asia". Those things have been said on this forum a great deal, and I don't remember the same members protesting.
    h20work likes this.
    04-24-13 02:06 PM
    The stock is doing fine...in fact there are "Buy" recommendations on it. I think that article is just short fodder, something BlackBerry is enduring allot of over the last year and a bit. In fact I do believe it was Celestica who refused to extend a volume discount to BlackBerry...thereby forcing BlackBerry's hand.

Posted via CB10
    zyben likes this.
    04-24-13 02:29 PM

The importance of diversifying. Even Apple was doing that by going away from Samsung for their parts.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry put all their eggs into the BB10 basket.
    04-24-13 07:42 PM
    BlackBerry put all their eggs into the BB10 basket.
    As iPhone...

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 08:19 PM
    As iPhone...

Posted via CB10
    You mean other than desktops, laptops, I pods, apple tv, and the gazillion accessories? Yep, they sure did

I don't own a single apple product, never have...
    richardat likes this.
    04-24-13 08:33 PM

Are you saying that BB is a worse company now that they are getting cheaper labour?

I think by comparison that would make Apple the worst company ever.
    04-24-13 10:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think that's a bit different than here. Apple has been walking away from Samsung because they are rivals. The fact is Samsung has an upper leg against Apple because it knows the products' hardware specs even before most other Apple employees do. Samsung is able to compete with Apple because it knows the specs months before it ever hits the shelves. Now Samsung knows whats the dealings with Apple and Sharp since Samsung invested in Sharp.
    04-25-13 07:03 AM