COSTA MESA, CA — August 17, 2009 — The CDMA Development Group (CDG) today announced that the specifications for CDMA2000� 1X Advanced have been completed and published by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project 2 (3GPP2). 1X Advanced allows 3G CDMA operators to significantly increase the voice capacity of their CDMA2000 1X network by taking advantage of several interference cancellation and radio link enhancements. Among these improvements are base transceiver station (BTS) interference cancellation, improved power control, early frame termination, and smart blanking. 1X Advanced enhancements can be integrated all at once or in phases, offering operators an evolutionary approach to expanding existing networks based on their individual market needs. The complete set of 1X Advanced enhancements can theoretically quadruple the voice capacity of CDMA2000 1X systems in the same 1.25 MHz of spectrum.

“Both large and small CDMA2000 operators will benefit greatly from the voice capacity gains enabled by 1X Advanced,” said Perry LaForge, executive director of the CDG. “In addition to lowering the average cost per call for more affordable voice services, 1X Advanced also frees up channels to deliver 1xEV-DO broadband data services. as Additionally, as operators consider augmenting their 3G CDMA networks with LTE and Mobile WiMAX, 1X Advanced will enable them to get more out of their existing circuit-switched voice networks for as long as needed.”

1X Advanced builds on the CDMA2000 1X technology platform, which has been providing superior voice quality and capacity for more than ten years. Operators can now transition to 1X Advanced gradually and economically, while sustaining backward compatibility. The spectral efficiency of the 3GPP2 standard has been recently enhanced with advanced voice codecs like Enhanced Variable Rate Codec-B (EVRC-B) and the use of quasi-linear interference cancellation (QLIC) techniques, which are already providing up to 50 percent higher voice capacity in today’s networks. The next step would be to move to 1X Advanced, which is a simple channel card upgrade (expected to be commercial in the second half of 2010) with new devices supporting mobile receive diversity, enabling them to more than double voice capacity immediately after the channel upgrade.

A complementary device enhancement known as simultaneous 1X Voice and EV-DO Data (SVDO) will also become available during the same timeframe and will enable CDMA2000 devices to access EV-DO packet data services while in an active 1X circuit-switch voice call. For example, users will be able to send emails or access the Web while on voice calls; phones with GPS can update maps or download real-time traffic information while on voice calls, etc. This device enhancement, which enables these concurrent voice and data services, is independent of the air link standard and infrastructure.
    CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

Great news or is it too little, too late?
    08-18-09 09:53 AM
    this sounds awesome .... just wonder how long I will have to wait for big red to update.
    08-18-09 10:37 AM
    Too little too late. Why implement this now when the only carrier that would care, Verizon, is working to/spending to implement LTE?

Sprint wont implement this because they are hemoraging money out of it's ears.
    08-18-09 10:47 AM
    It's never too late IMHO. It just adds to CDMA capabilities, so if anything it may actually bring some people over from GSM for the immediate future to get that needed call quality combined with data at the same time. Great find Sint, CX any input here??
    08-18-09 05:13 PM
    Does it require new hardware?
    08-18-09 05:44 PM
    That was my question as well. Will the SVDO capabilities require a new device?
    08-19-09 09:32 AM
    It would surprise me if current devices would support this, just like with revision A and O.

forkup
    08-19-09 02:46 PM
    If it takes new hardware network side I doubt it will ever be implemented. It it's software maybe.. But with LTE in the works I doubt it.
    08-19-09 04:00 PM
    Verizon has already stated that CDMA will be used well into 2020. Whether or not they switch to SVDO is doubtful, since they will initially use LTE for data and CDMA for voice. You never know though, whatever suits their needs will probably be bad a$$ for us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by cenloe; 08-22-09 at 11:22 AM.
    08-19-09 04:55 PM
    Verizon has already stated that EVDO will be used well into 2020. Whether or not they switch to SVDO is doubtful, since they will initially use LTE for data and EVDO for voice. You never know though, whatever suits their needs will probably be bad a$$ for us.

I doubt 2020. I'd bet the house I'm living it that it will be phased out by 2014 or so. I think having 2 systems up would cost way to much money for upkeep. LTE is well on it's way to being implemented and is already in test phases. Rev. A is already slower than HSDPA. Heck the iPhone 3G S(hate to bring it up.) supports 7.2 Mbps. 3x Rev. B will never see the light of day, nor will 4x EVDO or 15x Rev. B.

Verizon said that by mid 2010 around 30 markets will have LTE. So 2020 is way off I'd think.
    08-19-09 06:38 PM
    It's a network upgrade that would take a year to complete. LTE/WiMax implement data only, while 1x advanced gives you better voice coverage, and the option of SVDO. Both options is a win win for CDMA users.
    08-20-09 06:01 AM
    I doubt 2020. I'd bet the house I'm living it that it will be phased out by 2014 or so. I think having 2 systems up would cost way to much money for upkeep. LTE is well on it's way to being implemented and is already in test phases. Rev. A is already slower than HSDPA. Heck the iPhone 3G S(hate to bring it up.) supports 7.2 Mbps. 3x Rev. B will never see the light of day, nor will 4x EVDO or 15x Rev. B.

Verizon said that by mid 2010 around 30 markets will have LTE. So 2020 is way off I'd think.
    Sprint currently operates 3 separate networks. CDMA, iDEN, and WiMAX, so it's not impossible for carriers to operate multiple networks.

heck, when Verizon bought Alltel, part of the agreement by the FCC is that Alltel sells off some of it's territories, and guess what? AT&T purchased some, so for the time being, AT&T's operating CDMA networks..

I don't believe any of the carriers care enough to implement this new tech..especially when they can't think of any reason why to, and any way to make us pay more for it. I doubt it'll ever happen.
    08-20-09 09:43 AM
    Sprint currently operates 3 separate networks. CDMA, iDEN, and WiMAX, so it's not impossible for carriers to operate multiple networks.

heck, when Verizon bought Alltel, part of the agreement by the FCC is that Alltel sells off some of it's territories, and guess what? AT&T purchased some, so for the time being, AT&T's operating CDMA networks..

I don't believe any of the carriers care enough to implement this new tech..especially when they can't think of any reason why to, and any way to make us pay more for it. I doubt it'll ever happen.
    I think you misinterprated what I mean. What I stated above were upgrades to CDMA and will never see the light of day. It's all going to be LTE in the "near" future. My guess is by 2012 the latest everything will be LTE over Verizon, and all the major carriers in the US have also stated they are making the move to LTE. Which to me pretty much states CDMA is a dieing thing and I doubt upgrades will happen for it.

And running multiple networks could also be why Sprint is losing money out of its ears faster than you can shake a stick at. It's no secret Sprint is in a very bad way right now and has been for a good while now. Sprints iDEN network is only up because they bought Nextell and they are keeping it because a lot of businesses use it, which is why you can still have a Nextell only account and phone. As for WiMAX that's just data as for what I have read about it. I know they are running their 4G data networks in select areas as I had it when I was in DC and Maryland. Not to sure what will happen with Sprint, they stated they were going LTE but it kinda contradics WiMAX... Not sure on that one.
    08-20-09 01:18 PM
    All carriers are moving to LTE. Verizon has stated it intends to have full LTE coverage by 2013.

Verizon Completes LTE Data Calls

Most other carriers will follow suit. LTE is the Blu-Ray of wireless communication standards. Although other technologies exist and are being considered, it's most likely that they will migrate to LTE in the long run.

CDMA operators will choose LTE, says ZTE | Telecom Asia
    08-21-09 04:21 PM

No, 2020 is about right.

Unstrung - Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wants LTE ASAP - Telecom News Analysis

Verizon Wireless to accelerate LTE, keep CDMA and lower data prices : Boy Genius Report
    Last edited by cenloe; 08-22-09 at 11:23 AM.
    08-21-09 10:33 PM
    "In some potentially good news for customers, Melone admitted that Verizon will have to lower prices on data services to remain competitive as high speed mobile broadband continues to expand. He stated that “Pricing is inhibiting the growth of this market. Quite frankly, this is likely to change even before LTE.” Hopefully, the other executives at Verizon share his view on data pricing and implement lower prices sooner rather than later."

Ooo I like this!
    08-22-09 12:33 AM
    "In some potentially good news for customers, Melone admitted that Verizon will have to lower prices on data services to remain competitive as high speed mobile broadband continues to expand. He stated that �Pricing is inhibiting the growth of this market. Quite frankly, this is likely to change even before LTE.� Hopefully, the other executives at Verizon share his view on data pricing and implement lower prices sooner rather than later."

Ooo I like this!
    As do I! Hopefully this will mean data charges of about $15 per line, and maybe sometime in 2010?
    08-22-09 11:25 AM
    Sprint will prolly implement this technology as well as incorporate lte. They have already said wimax is not in future plans for the company. I can't see why small carriers wouldn't use this either. I know I would love to use wifi and voice at the same time. Problem would be with pricing. And I read about the 4g being used in maryland but didn't think any devices supported it yet so I wonder how the poster above was able to "use" it while in D.C.

08-22-09 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD