CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I never understood this, CDMA vs GSM, this article was very informative and makes me glad that way back I started out with T-Mobile (and Blackberry.)
    04-19-17 07:15 AM
    I'm not sure how relevant that article is any more. Verizon is CDMA and it allows for voice and data at the same time now. It didn't use to but it does now with no issue.
    04-19-17 07:19 AM
    I'm not sure how relevant that article is any more. Verizon is CDMA and it allows for voice and data at the same time now. It didn't use to but it does now with no issue.
    Now that u mention it, I vaguely remember that on old Carrier ads, whose could do that and competition couldn't. But if your using BB10OS, aren't most of them only good for GSM? I've never had to think about it having always been on T-Mo.
    04-19-17 07:34 AM
    It would be nice is one "variant" could work anywhere.. but even with just GSM, it's hard to find a phone you can use everywhere.
    04-19-17 07:36 AM
    Now that u mention it, I vaguely remember that on old Carrier ads, whose could do that and competition couldn't. But if your using BB10OS, aren't most of them only good for GSM? I've never had to think about it having always been on T-Mo.
    Yes that's correct, but thats really due to two reasons. Blackberry not making CDMA devices and carriers CDMA carriers choosing not to offer the phone.
    04-19-17 07:36 AM
    It would be nice is one "variant" could work anywhere.. but even with just GSM, it's hard to find a phone you can use everywhere.

I know the latest iPhone works on both. My wife has a Verizon iPhone that works with AT&T without issue and gets LTE with AT&T everywhere she goes. Granted, its unlocked, but it still works with AT&T just like the AT&T version does.
    04-19-17 07:38 AM
    Nexus 6?
    04-19-17 07:50 AM
    Nexus 6?
    There are four variants of the Nexus 6.....

There was a time when some BlackBerries were considered "world phones", but today that more difficult as there are so many frequencies being used with GSM and LTE.
    04-19-17 08:01 AM
    There are four variants of the Nexus 6.....

There was a time when some BlackBerries were considered "world phones", but today that more difficult as there are so many frequencies being used with GSM and LTE.
    According to this article there is an unbranded Nexus 6,
    "The Uncarrier is currently selling the Nexus 6 in stores and it has been verified that it is, for all intents and purposes, identical to the unlocked versions you buy from Google Play or Motorola. There is no SIM lock, no carrier branding, and no bloatware pre-installed." [The Stark Contrast] Nexus 6 On Sprint And T-Mobile Vs. AT&T
    04-19-17 08:15 AM
    CDMA is pretty much dead in Canada - Telus and Bell are both shutting down their CDMA networks this year.
    04-19-17 11:35 PM
    It's really just Verizon and Sprint at this point. And maybe some tiny regional carriers.
    04-20-17 12:37 AM
    CDMA is pretty much dead in Canada - Telus and Bell are both shutting down their CDMA networks this year.
    USA business's will hang on to pennies of profit rather than spend to upgrade, not until they are about to lose most customers. LOL or start to merge. Same guys own the stock for all the companies any way. Competition is dead.
    04-20-17 06:00 AM
    USA business's will hang on to pennies of profit rather than spend to upgrade, not until they are about to lose most customers. LOL or start to merge. Same guys own the stock for all the companies any way. Competition is dead.
    04-20-17 06:01 AM
    It's not about upgrading... in some cases CDMA was a better technology than GSM. But back in the "day" all Carriers liked the idea of only their phones working on their network.

Anyway the "upgrade" is LTE, both CDMA and GSM networks will eventually become part of the past. But it will be a number of years, as they are many IoT type devices that use only CDMA or GSM for their communications. Not sure how long before networks are built out enough that smartphones can be 100% LTE... but the day is coming.
    04-20-17 08:44 AM
    All phones sold in the US today are VoLTE capable, so they are ready for the decommissioning of the legacy standards. But as of early last year, there were still non-LTE phones being sold, and there are still many niche-market IoT devices being sold and installed that use legacy networks (even though most already have LTE replacements - gotta clear out the old stock!).

Verizon will be the last to decommission their legacy bands, which was scheduled to be completed by 2022, but they have since announced that they are ahead of schedule. T-Mobile will likely be done by 2019.
    04-20-17 02:34 PM