I have been told that there is an issue in OS5 for the Storm's that would not allow Beyond 160 to work, or even be modified to work. But I see that there is a program out now called Textender which says it will work with OS5 Touch Screen devices. Anyone know what is up?
    11-29-09 05:52 PM
    are you not allowed to send any text over 160 char without an app? With AT&T, it allows over 160 char with going into another page for another 160 char, allowing 6 pages total for a text. Then again, you could always use MMS.
    11-29-09 05:58 PM
    Righto, my recollection in sending a lengthy text on VZW with both my S1 on 4.x and 5.x and S2 with 5.x is that once the 160 char limit was reached I was forced to send, then initiate a new SMS to continue... in other words it didn't automatically break the text into multiple segments. Not something I run into often though. If I'm going to go over 160 char I'm usually sending an email instead, anyway. Or an MMS in a pinch.
    11-29-09 06:00 PM
    I think you will find that AT&T phones are GSM, and not CDMA, thus does not suffer the SMS text character limit.
    11-29-09 06:07 PM
    I respectfully disagree. This may give you a good understanding of how SMS works -> HowStuffWorks "How SMS Works"

As noted, length may vary by carrier *but* all that the carrier is doing is segmenting your 160+ char SMS into multiple, well, segments.
    11-29-09 06:09 PM
    The 160 character limit is part of the SMS protocol. Anything that sends "more" than 160 is actually sending multipart SMS messages:

SMS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    11-29-09 06:10 PM
    And with OS5's threaded SMS on my Verizon 9530/9550 I am unable to write multiple SMS messages to someone without sending them. I can only hold the most current written one, once I send it i can write another and hold it, but if my message is longer then 160 characters, I am $crew'd. At least that has been my experiance so far, and my only coplaint with OS 5. And yes I am aware that once you reach the 160 limit is rolls to another message, but under 4.7 i used to be able to write SMS's that could be up to 8 parts and not have to send any of it until i was completely done, and then i could even pick and choose what order to send them in.
    11-29-09 06:23 PM
    I just have to ask, but, what are you typing that needs to be more than 160 chars?
    11-29-09 06:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD