Hi, I am a bell customer and currently own a Storm. Now, I know what phones that Bell offers to use, but, is it possible to buy a phone that bell does not offer, for example the Curve 8900, and somehow use it on the bell network? I am just curious if I am able to grap another phone. Thanks
    09-08-09 10:49 AM
    If it is a CDMA phone, you MIGHT be able to do it depending upon luck (it seems). GSM phones will not work on a CDMA network so the Curve 8900 is a no go.
    09-08-09 12:33 PM
    You should call Bell and ask if they will activate another carrier's cdma device on their network. In the US, Sprint and Verizon will NOT.
    09-08-09 01:58 PM
    If the phone is a GSM-only phone (xx00, xx10, xx20), then there is no way to get the phone to work on a CDMA network. The Bold, 8900, and other GSM variants don't have the CDMA radios.

The other thing that throws a wrench into the mix is the way CDMA carriers register the phones to their network. This means that if you were to get a CDMA (xx30, xx50) phone from another carrier, it is highly unlikely you will get Bell to register that phone on their network.

On a side note, I was hearing that Bell or Telus might start supporting some form of GSM network. So there may be more options in the future.
    09-08-09 02:09 PM
  5. T
    I wonder why the carriers are so uptight about activating each others' devices?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 02:54 PM
    Competition. Imagine people signing on to get an exclusive device just to take somewhere else on a whim. The carrier wants to make a buck. Do you take your skills and work for your chief competitor?

09-08-09 03:04 PM
  7. T
    Ok, but if you take one carrier's phone to that carrier's competition, why wouldn't the competition activate the phone. After all, it's new business.

09-08-09 08:31 PM
    It is not the competition who locks the phones down it is the exclusive carrier. Let's assume Verizon is going to get XXX bb they pay RIM royalties to offer the phone exclusively in so they make sure Sprint can't activate it and vise versa.

09-08-09 08:40 PM
  9. T
    So the new carrier is technologically limited (unable or lacking in skill) to unlock the competition's phone?

09-08-09 08:42 PM
    It's called a MSL number, each CDMA carrier has different MSL on each phone designed for their network insuring it can't be activated on a rivals network. EDIT: I also understood it, but could be wrong that for example Verizon can give you the MSL code enabling you to activate it on sprint but I have no idea why they would or how to go about getting one.

Last edited by LawP; 09-08-09 at 09:12 PM.
    09-08-09 09:10 PM
  11. T
    Thanks. It would be interesting to find out. I wonder where the MSL numbers come from. I mean, who issues the number, the carrier itself? Or is it RIM (or someone else) preventing one carrier from "unlocking" another carrier's device. If it's entirely within the carriers' control, it would seem that each is technologically proficient enough to unlock anything. If they're voluntarily not doing it, it's probably NOT for ethical reasons; more likely, it's a banding together for the sake of their mutual interests.

09-08-09 09:23 PM
    I am sure there are also some kind of laws either in contracts between the manufactures and the carriers or something along the lines of fraud. if verizon pays RIM for exclusive right to a phone the sprint activates it, it is essentially stealing from verizon. However it is possible if the designated carrier gives you the MSL number (which I don't see a logical reason why they would) to remove the block and reactivate it on another CDMA carrier. There is a thread in the Tour forums to which a member claimed he successfully did just that.

09-08-09 09:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD