Hey there,

My girlfriend is a Bell Canada customer and had a Blackberry Tour (CDMA non SIM Card obviously). She bought an unlocked T-Mobile 9700 today and also went to the bell store to acquire a Sim Card and switch her plan over to GSM service. (I guess...)

Anyway, we tested her phone with a Rogers Sim card and the phone IS unlocked because we got service right away. However, with her new Bell Sim card we just simply get SOS.

Does it take a while for the Sim card to kick in or did the Bell reps mess up?

The Bell call centre is closed and I am really curious as to what is going on!

Thank you everyone!

Aly
    03-13-10 09:15 PM
    Does the T-Mobile phone work on Rogers GSM Bands? because Rogers, and Bell have different GSM bands, and even with an Unlocked phone it might not work on the Bell/Telus GSM

I am doing no research before this post, just going off of what I remember from the HSPA launch.
    03-13-10 09:20 PM
    Yes it works on the Rogers GSM Bands. Hmmm, I googled T-Mobile 9700 and it says that it is 3G HSPA compatible. I guess that might not necessarily mean it will work with the Bell network? If that is the case then she might have to sell the 9700 unfortunately...

If you could dig any other info up cause now I am worrying.
    03-13-10 09:26 PM
    ok, i found a quote from this thread: (google: "bell-telus-switching-cdma-gsm") saying....

"GSM Phones will not work on Bell and Telus. 3G HSPA phones will." and the 9700 is a 3G HSPA phone.

What do you think?
    03-13-10 09:36 PM
    is there a Setting like in the Tour to go from GSM to CDMA, in the 9700 there my be a setting to go from GSM to HSPA
    03-13-10 09:39 PM
    Where would one find that setting?
    03-13-10 09:43 PM
    Menu->Settings->Mobile Network is where it is on the Tour.
    03-13-10 11:59 PM
    she just emailed me and said

"And also i was fiddling with sim card setting inside advanced settings, it says access denied when i try to program the number, so maybe the guy programmed it wrong?? dunno"
    03-14-10 12:06 AM
    GSM phones do not work with Bell and telus because they're CDMA. I don't know if bell use sim cards also cuz were don't have them here in Manitoba but I'm guessing there no different from telus. Correct me if I'm wrong. Or the best way to find out is if u go into a bell store and tell them yourselves.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-10 09:03 AM
    GSM phones do not work with Bell and telus because they're CDMA. I don't know if bell use sim cards also cuz were don't have them here in Manitoba but I'm guessing there no different from telus. Correct me if I'm wrong. Or the best way to find out is if u go into a bell store and tell them yourselves.

you are wrong

since before the Olympics Both Bell and Telus launched HSPA GSM networks in major cities across Canada, which is how Bell and Telus are now able to sell the iPhone, the Bold 9700, Bold 9000 AND the Tour, Storm, Storm 2 etc,
    03-15-10 09:07 AM
    It could be a faulty SIM.

That's the simplest and most common cause of the symptom described in the opening post.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-15-10 09:15 AM
    T-moble 3g band is different then the rogers an belus band she would have had to get an unlocked AT&T bold or she can try to take the one she has and open an account on wind. sry bud also bellus only has the 3g gsm band so theres no fall back to edge which possible could have worked.
    Last edited by mooda; 03-15-10 at 10:20 AM.
    03-15-10 09:23 AM
    You'll only get edge with Rogers. Bell only has a HSPA network, not a GSM network. Sorry your Tmobile phone will not work on the Bell or Telus network.
    03-15-10 11:27 AM
    So will telus 3G Storm 2 work on Fidos 3G?

03-15-10 12:30 PM
    So will telus 3G Storm 2 work on Fidos 3G?

No it will only work on EDGE because when used with Telus, you get 3G on CDMA with Telus. On GSM it will work if the provider operates on the 2100Mhz frequency which Rogers/Fido don't.
    03-15-10 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD