just stumbled across RIM execs likely on hot seat at annual meeting - Business - CBC News typical CBC posting nothing but doom and gloom, totally neglecting to mention all the recent positive news about RIM. Perhaps if a few of you have some time to post some comments to at least get some positive info posted there.
    Last edited by Juggalo20; 07-12-11 at 11:53 AM. Reason: update
    07-12-11 11:22 AM
    Is anything reported in the piece false?
    07-12-11 11:47 AM
    Anyone know if there is a live feed on the AGM? How would I go about being a fly on the wall? I guess hopping over to TD Bank and buying one share for $27 won't help me much at this point...
    07-12-11 11:52 AM
    Is anything reported in the piece false?
    false? prolly not no (i'm not 100% up to speed on the numbers) s'why i called it biased, not false.
    07-12-11 11:54 AM
    Anyone know if there is a live feed on the AGM? How would I go about being a fly on the wall? I guess hopping over to TD Bank and buying one share for $27 won't help me much at this point...
    Yes, you can access it via RIMs website under the Investor tab. Also Kevin will have a live feed.
    Mr.Conviviality likes this.
    07-12-11 12:50 PM
    I am very tired of the constant negative spin on just about everything related to RIM these days, but the fact is, there just may not be anything positive to report ... yet. The dynamic duo is for sure going to be on the hot seat, no matter what's been going on behind the scenes for the past year or what's coming out in the next one. Who knows what's going to be announced, but right now there just isn't much in the way of concrete good news. Very much hoping that's going to change in the next few weeks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-11 12:55 PM
    I am very tired of the constant negative spin on just about everything related to RIM these days, but the fact is, there just may not be anything positive to report ... yet. The dynamic duo is for sure going to be on the hot seat, no matter what's been going on behind the scenes for the past year or what's coming out in the next one. Who knows what's going to be announced, but right now there just isn't much in the way of concrete good news. Very much hoping that's going to change in the next few weeks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    there's been plenty in the way of positive news
    1 million new customers in 3 weeks
    BlackBerry is number 2 in the .uk
    Dutch Police getting on board, rolling out thousands of blackberries to their officers in 2012

it may not be "omg YAY" news, but it's positive. at least it shows RIM isn't on it's deathbed yet
    07-12-11 01:02 PM
    who watches cbc anyways?

Hockey night in canada is long gone.

so is CBC...
    07-12-11 01:11 PM
    woah now.... Jim Houson or however it's spelled is the man at play by play. let's not get carried away now -_-
    07-12-11 01:12 PM
    Ok, I'll bite. You called this piece "biased", posting nothing but gloom & doom. To me, news should be factual, so let's see what facts they reported :

1) Shareholders will have some sharp questions for company officials
    2) First-quarter profit plunge 10 per cent
    3) Market share tumble almost five per cent in three months
    4) Stock price that has lost half its value in 2011
    5) RIM was late to the communications market with its own tablet ... which was relatively well received as a device but missed many early adopters (note : my editing)
    6) RIM has faced shareholder lawsuits
    7) RIM has faced calls for co-chief executive officers Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis to divide up their roles and appoint an independent chairman of the board

I can't see any incorrect info here so honest question - what "recent positive news about RIM" facts can you provide? Not "QNX will be" and "wait for it, it's coming". We're talking facts, present tense.

I noticed Juggalo20 has 3 points already. Let's make this a contest, shall we?

- R.
    07-12-11 01:15 PM
    Ok, I'll bite. You called this piece "biased", posting nothing but gloom & doom. To me, news should be factual, so let's see what facts they reported :

1) Shareholders will have some sharp questions for company officials
    2) First-quarter profit plunge 10 per cent
    3) Market share tumble almost five per cent in three months
    4) Stock price that has lost half its value in 2011
    5) RIM was late to the communications market with its own tablet ... which was relatively well received as a device but missed many early adopters (note : my editing)
    6) RIM has faced shareholder lawsuits
    7) RIM has faced calls for co-chief executive officers Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis to divide up their roles and appoint an independent chairman of the board

I can't see any incorrect info here so honest question - what "recent positive news about RIM" facts can you provide? Not "QNX will be" and "wait for it, it's coming". We're talking facts, present tense.

- R.
    Bias doesnt mean incorrect -it means slanted. Lets see ... the article posted every single bit of negative press that RIM has received to date with no mention of the significant positive gains RIM has made. That is biased.

And your little contest assumes line items are weighted the same as if share sholders having tough questions is weighted the same as RIM being 2 in the UK.
    07-12-11 01:51 PM

- R.
    You may have ment QNX is...

July 11, 2011 ORBexpress Extends Support to QNX Neutrino RTOS 6.5

June 22, 2011 Freescale Semiconductor and QNX Software Systems expand relationship for QorIQ and PowerQUICC processors.

June 13, 2011 QNX Expands Presence in China with Launch of Automotive Education Program and Technology Roadshow.

June 08, 2011 EB, Freescale, QNX Software Systems to collaborate on first digital instrument cluster development platform for the automotive industry.

The CBC has lost it way when it comes to in-depth investigative journalism. Although it is factual, it is often biased towards sensationalism. Doom and gloom gets noticed and CBC uses it to sell ads. Once, publicly funded media were held to a standard that provided their readers with fair and balanced articles. Anyone of QNX last 4 press releases would have made excellent articles. RIM's business model now extends well past releasing a shiny handset every other day.
    07-12-11 02:32 PM
    Bias doesnt mean incorrect -it means slanted. Lets see ... the article posted every single bit of negative press that RIM has received to date with no mention of the significant positive gains RIM has made. That is biased.

And your little contest assumes line items are weighted the same as if share sholders having tough questions is weighted the same as RIM being 2 in the UK.
    1) I'd asked for evidence of positive acts to counter the CBC article - you mention "significant positive gains RIM has made" - what can you provide?

2) I'd made no mention of weightings - if I had, I could point out that stock price losing half its value in 1 year kind of trumps the sale of thousands of units to the Dutch police

- R.
    07-12-11 02:38 PM
    You may have ment QNX is...

July 11, 2011 ORBexpress Extends Support to QNX Neutrino RTOS 6.5

June 22, 2011 Freescale Semiconductor and QNX Software Systems expand relationship for QorIQ and PowerQUICC processors.

June 13, 2011 QNX Expands Presence in China with Launch of Automotive Education Program and Technology Roadshow.

June 08, 2011 EB, Freescale, QNX Software Systems to collaborate on first digital instrument cluster development platform for the automotive industry.

The CBC has lost it way when it comes to in-depth investigative journalism. Although it is factual, it is often biased towards sensationalism. Doom and gloom gets noticed and CBC uses it to sell ads. Once, publicly funded media were held to a standard that provided their readers with fair and balanced articles. Anyone of QNX last 4 press releases would have made excellent articles. RIM's business model now extends well past releasing a shiny handset every other day.
    QNX as it is now is NOT what QNX will be as implemented by RIM on Blackberries. People lose sight of the FACT that it's up to RIM what they deliver on the QBX platform. They could deliver more, they could deliver less. They could deliver it stable and fully functional, or buggy and with limited functionality. And absolutely NONE of that is dependent on QNX itself.

IMO, RIM is getting a free ride among the faithful based on QNX. Sorry, but as a Storm 1, Storm 2 and Torch owner I'm among the "show me" camp. I"m willing to be convinced, which is why I've kept my Berry, but I've been burned before.

- R.
    07-12-11 02:42 PM
    1) I'd asked for evidence of positive acts to counter the CBC article - you mention "significant positive gains RIM has made" - what can you provide?
    you seem to of missed seeing the crackberry blogs lately, so the headlines would include RIM passing 1billion downloads on appworld (which includes one dev house making $1m+) RIM adding huge new ammounts of customers in EMEA, and (this my fav) BGR stating PlayBook was their fav tablet.

also in your marketshare statement, is that global or US? if its US then id remind that theres a whole world as RIM is an international company with reach to over 400Million people in advertising with just one degree of seperation (not many brands can get that). also id remind that global marketshare in 2009 was 19.9% and in 2010 was 16.0% however even with the percieved drop, the reality was an additional 13million subscribers. a percentage means nothing in a growing market, actual figures of devices do.
    mertin.m likes this.
    07-12-11 03:01 PM
    Actually you confused the terms bias and incorrect as in...

I can't see any incorrect info here
    When the OP already clarified by saying...

false? prolly not no (i'm not 100% up to speed on the numbers) s'why i called it biased, not false.
    Bias =/= incorrect

2) I'd made no mention of weightings - if I had, I could point out that stock price losing half its value in 1 year kind of trumps the sale of thousands of units to the Dutch police

- R.
    I know you didnt - I did. You seem content to compare individual bulleted items with no regard to what information is contained in said bullet.

And when someone does present to you QNX progress you argue semantics about the fact that QNX development ONLY pertains to BB phones and not part of RIM as a whole - which it does. You dont get to cherry pick your information as it pertains to the argument.
    07-12-11 03:17 PM
    Actually you confused the terms bias and incorrect as in...

When the OP already clarified by saying...

Bias =/= incorrect

I know you didnt - I did. You seem content to compare individual bulleted items with no regard to what information is contained in said bullet.

And when someone does present to you QNX progress you argue semantics about the fact that QNX development ONLY pertains to BB phones and not part of RIM as a whole - which it does. You dont get to cherry pick your information as it pertains to the argument.
    Actually, I hadn't confused biased vs incorrect. My point was simply that we could start with agreement that the points reported were valid. I then asked for points to counter them, as the OP had stated there were significant positive events that hadn't been mentioned.

In regards to weightings, my plan had been to wait until all the points were collected them compare the pictures they painted, so weightings would come later. At no point did I say I would simply count the number of pro/con points and compare the totals - that was your (incorrect) assumption.

In regards to QNX you have it backwards. It's not that "QNX development ONLY pertains to BB phones", it's that QNX development does not present the whole Blackberry picture. This is Crackberry, so I am concerned with that part of QNX that touches Blackberries. And for RIM to deliver a Berry that is based on QBX there is a lot to add - and no guarantee what they will add, when they will add it, or how well. QNX may run nuclear reactors reliably, but that's no guarantee a QNX-powered Berry will give me, as a user, the experience I desire.

That's not semantics, my friend, that's fact. Just look at the Playbook. QNX didn't come with native email and calendaring - RIM had to add it, and hasn't so far. Nothing to do with QNX.

You're right, I don't get to cherry pick my information. But you don't get to twist my words either.

- R.
    Last edited by Rooster99; 07-12-11 at 03:59 PM.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-12-11 03:57 PM
    Rooster99 I think you're missing the point.

It's not about whether or not RIM is in great place or a bad one, it's about the fact CBC didn't mention anything positive. Even you've agreed there ARE some positive points that could have been mentioned.
    07-12-11 07:22 PM
    Rooster99 I think you're missing the point.

It's not about whether or not RIM is in great place or a bad one, it's about the fact CBC didn't mention anything positive. Even you've agreed there ARE some positive points that could have been mentioned.
    Yes, there are positive points that could have been mentioned. But if the negative vastly outweigh the positive - or vice versa - I can see why they would be emphasized.

I was simply trying to get a list of all the positives, which I had then planned to consolidate in a single post against the list of the negatives. Of course I'd add my own commentary on the net balance, but at least everyone would have a complete picture as a basis for comparison.

That was my point. Or at least it had been.

- R.
    07-12-11 08:10 PM
    Reuters picked this piece of positive news up. Let see what CBC does...

RIM's PlayBook tablet approved for U.S. government use | Reuters
    07-21-11 02:57 PM
    Working in the realm of finance, I can tell you that CNBC has been Wall Street's source for "entertainment". While the data releases that comes out are similar to other financial sources, the heavy, lively and often biased commentary tend to overshadow the data releases and excite normal people and especially give professionals a good laugh.

But if you are serious about getting much more accurate and neutral financial data, I would recommend you look elsewhere.
    07-21-11 03:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD