The CBC native BB10 News App reports ( gushes) today: "The CBC News app will be compatible with the Apple Watch*when it comes out.*Watch users will receive breaking news and be able to browse top headlines.*The watch app will also sync*with your*iPhone." Of course, this is below the in-your-face red banner announcing the pending discontinuation of BB10 app support. (We are instructed to make a home page browser link to their website while the brag up their continued updating of their iOS and Android apps). I know CBC apologists will say, as they have here before, that we should just use the website as "this is the way of the future" (for BlackBerry users anyway), or get the Android app, but neither is anywhere near as slick as the beautiful native BB10 app. Sad!

TCB on Z10
    gokulesh, brian4591 and Mack Gans like this.
    04-12-15 05:06 PM
    What did you expect? CBC to NOT offer an app for the apple watch? The apple watch sold out within hours and will probably outsell the total of all the blackberry phones currently on the market (pure speculation). Based on Apple's numbers, they would be crazy to not offer an app.
    Last edited by sallenthornton; 04-12-15 at 06:32 PM.
    04-12-15 05:15 PM
    What did you expect? CBC to NOT offer an app for the apple watch? The apple watch sold out within hours and will probably outsell the total of all the blackberry phones currently on the market (pure speculation). Based on Apple's numbers, they would deb crazy to not offer an app.
    Why these threads pop up nearly everyday with people genuinely surprised by this stuff is beyond me lol

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 06:14 PM
    The apple watch will sell more units in one day than the total amount of BB10 phones sold in two years.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 06:14 PM
    Apple watch is just going to be another fad. I don't think it will sell well after the initial first couple of years. Until the smartwatch battery last more then 30 days I don't think it's something we would get used to charging everyday when we come home.
    04-12-15 06:18 PM
    Apple watch is just going to be another fad. I don't think it will sell well after the initial first couple of years. Until the smartwatch battery last more then 30 days I don't think it's something we would get used to charging everyday when we come home.

They said that about the iphone. People are happy to charge that multiple times in a day lol
    04-12-15 06:23 PM
    Maybe. The iPad numbers are dropping, but they are still selling huge amounts of them. I think this whole watch thing is something to build on and I'm excited to see where it goes. I take my watch off every evening, so charging wouldn't be an issue for me; however I can see how it would be a deterrent to others.
    04-12-15 06:27 PM
    Ah yeah! National Bank just announced an update to their iOS app and the BlackBerry 10 app is simply a launcher! So shocking

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 06:31 PM
    Simple economics and numbers.... When you have the economy of scale Apple has in shear device volume. Compared to BB puny sales... who would you develop for?
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    04-12-15 06:33 PM
    Simple economics and numbers.... When you have the economy of scale Apple has in shear device volume. Compared to BB puny sales... who would you develop for?
    Exactly. I never understood why people can't see the difference between the companies.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    04-12-15 06:34 PM
    It's called efficiency. Companies need to focus on those areas that generate most of their return.
    Their goal is not to support everyone, but to maximize their return on investment (ratio). They can easily achieve this by just focusing on android / iPhone.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    04-12-15 07:42 PM
    And yet smartwatches (regardless of brand) are selling better than the market expected. Not to mention that Lazaridis and Balsillie said the same thing about the iPhone when it was released... look where that got them.
    04-12-15 07:47 PM
    The difference is that in Canada, where CBC would get the vast majority of their downloads, BlackBerry is still a player. I would venture to bet that BB10 devices would far outweigh Apple Watches for the next few years.

Posted via CB10
    gokulesh, BerrySoul and brian4591 like this.
    04-12-15 08:04 PM
    And yet smartwatches (regardless of brand) are selling better than the market expected. Not to mention that Lazaridis and Balsillie said the same thing about the iPhone when it was released... look where that got them.
    Exactly. I've already seen more smart watches in the wild than I have BB10 devices (I know a couple who cancels each other out, though - he has a Moto 360 and she has a Q10). I've dipped my toes in the smart watch waters with the Gear Fit. It's pretty dang nice. I get all of my notifications as well as fitness and sleep tracking. It only needs charged for an hour every 4 days or so.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    04-12-15 08:09 PM
    Who cares it's as simple as CP24 lol
    04-12-15 08:12 PM
    The difference is that in Canada, where CBC would get the vast majority of their downloads, BlackBerry is still a player. I would venture to bet that BB10 devices would far outweigh Apple Watches for the next few years.

Posted via CB10
    Not to mention that CBC is funded by tax payers. So should show no preference for anyone company, and maybe even support a Canadian company. And, unless it is just my Passport, their website does not work fully with the BB10 browser (video playback in particular). That was their whole reasoning behind dropping support for their app, the browser on BB10 gives a better experience, supposedly.
    gokulesh likes this.
    04-12-15 08:41 PM
    The CBC pulled its BlackBerry app some time ago and then reinstated it, although the warning remains. The taxpayer funded public broadcaster picks and chooses what Canadian entities it supports. I guess BlackBerry isn't one of them.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 09:09 PM
    The apple watch will sell more units in one day than the total amount of BB10 phones sold in two years.

Posted via CB10
    How is that possible if you have to go to their store for a fitting?

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 09:12 PM
    I guess I'm a member of the anti smartwatch crowd. I got one, because I like technology, but the charging thing got old for me real fast. I plug it in and forget to put it back on. I abandoned the Fitbit Flex for the same reason. The Garmin Vivofit only needs 1 battery change a year.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-12-15 09:28 PM
    Not to mention that CBC is funded by tax payers. So should show no preference for anyone company, and maybe even support a Canadian company. And, unless it is just my Passport, their website does not work fully with the BB10 browser (video playback in particular). That was their whole reasoning behind dropping support for their app, the browser on BB10 gives a better experience, supposedly.
    Yes. The taxpayer argument.

I would say a taxpayer-funded entity should be more concerned with supporting what most of the taxpayers use, but hey...
    04-12-15 09:29 PM
    Yes. The taxpayer argument.

I would say a taxpayer-funded entity should be more concerned with supporting what most of the taxpayers use, but hey...
    If you actually listened to the cbc news you would quickly realize that they focus an inordinate amount of time on issues few care about so concerning themselves with the majority has never been a cbc priority. Having said that, I do listen and read their news.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 09:39 PM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Intelligent people actually watch CBC?? ...

Posted via CB10
    moosbb likes this.
    04-12-15 09:44 PM
    If you actually listened to the cbc news you would quickly realize that they focus an inordinate amount of time on issues few care about so concerning themselves with the majority has never been a cbc priority. Having said that, I do listen and read their news.

Posted via CB10
    So the issue is that it's a useless service? Why is it getting taxpayer money at all?
    JeepBB and Poirots Progeny like this.
    04-12-15 10:02 PM
    So the issue is that it's a useless service? Why is it getting taxpayer money at all?
    Not useless. I listen and read their news quite a bit. Their BlackBerry app is great. They just have a habit of focusing too much attention on some things. Cbc is a public broadcaster and therefore receives taxpayer funding.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-15 10:13 PM
    How is that possible if you have to go to their store for a fitting?

Posted via CB10
    You don't have to go in and get fitted. It's a new product and Apple wanted to let potential buyers see what it's all about. I ordered one, will be here in June. No fitting needed. Seemed Apple could care less if I got fitted or not. They still took my money. Lol
    04-12-15 10:28 PM
134 123 ...