Another point of note under the Security section
    The transaction data is a running list of the places you use Google Wallet and the location. Nothing else.

But I cant explain it any clearer to you. So I am going to listen to that "wise man" advice and move on.
    08-20-12 11:56 AM
    The sticker would be under the NFC enabled plate on the terminal, or on it, etc. It would be in a place where you would normally use NFC.
    Don't see how that could be done, at least not the way you describe it.

I'll agree BT is about as secure as swiss cheese, but NFC isn't new.
    08-20-12 12:01 PM
    The transaction data is a running list of the places you use Google Wallet and the location. Nothing else.

But I cant explain it any clearer to you. So I am going to listen to that "wise man" advice and move on.
    It is the payment information that worries me. But no harm no foul. It is secure enough for you and not for me or my line of work. Its a personal choice, simple as that.
    08-20-12 12:01 PM
    Don't see how that could be done, at least not the way you describe it.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

I'll agree BT is about as secure as swiss cheese, but NFC isn't new.
    Hey, I am just bringing up what was said in the original article by the guy that found the exploit lol.
    08-20-12 12:03 PM
    I know, during a 6 month study on a 2 year old Android OS running on a Nokia

It's funny, that's all. I'll agree what the technology can do may be new-ish to people (in NorAm), but Europe and Asia have been doing this for a few years now. Wait until (IF) NFC becomes widely adopted, then you will see some serious exploit attempts.

No one mentions how you can clone an Indala card with a laptop (as long as you are 20 feet away when the card is used at a reader), but millions are still in use today.

Risk/Threat, what are ya gonna do
    08-20-12 12:12 PM
    I would be very cautious using NFC for payments unless it is a preloaded card type of thing. I would NOT link my bank account or credit card to a mobile device. NFC is largely untested, and gambling your money or accounts on it would be unwise. Android has already shown that its NFC implementation is not secure, we will see with the iPhone 5 if they do any better. RIM has been going through all the certifications necessary with Visa and Mastercard and large banks. They are getting it thoroughly tested out as well. Dont take the lack of news on this as bad, its actually good they are doing it the right way.
    I agree. I just want to put $100 on a card so I can buy my softdrinks with it.
    I don't use debit cards so I won't use this with direct access to my bank account, unless I keep an account with just $100 in it, which might be an idea.
    I am assuming that the security issue will be much better with RIM, at least they better get that right, since that is supposed to be their forte.
    08-20-12 12:15 PM
    there was a thread about this earlier this year (I posted on it), discussing NFC use.... unfortunately, I can't find it!

NFC payments are becoming more and more widespread in the UK, unfortunately my carrier (Orange UK) restricts you to having a BarclayCard if you want to use NFC with an Orange UK phone (eg my BB9900). These NFC payments are pinless, but limited to a maximum of �15 (c $22 US) - the idea is that NFC is only for small 'pocket change' purchases, eg a couple of coffees at a Starbucks

I used to work in Turkey where NFC is very prevalent, most people buy a nfc chip to insert in their phone, the chip is on a wafer thin piece of paper that sits between the battery and the case

Hope this helps....

BTW - NFC is also good for museums and art galleries, you can just swipe your phone to get pages of information on whatever you are looking at....
    08-20-12 03:41 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD