Cascade APIs to be released at BB10Jam as part of the SDK.

Just asked him straight out on Twitter. Didn't recall hearing this.

Alec Saunders ‏ @asaunders Reply Retweet Favorite Open
    now previewing #bb10jam Dev106 - more cascades content, including custom controls and animations... 60 more code rich slides.

@adrenaline_x Reply Delete Favorite Open
    @asaunders but are the cascade Apis going to be released to developers to use finally? Demos aren't worth anything if u can't use the tech

@adrenaline_x at #bb10jam. Yes.

mike Fuller ‏ @adrenaline_x Reply Delete Favorite Open
    @asaunders Awesome... Released within a month? Or longer?

@adrenaline_x at show as part of #bb10 SDK
    04-20-12 11:21 AM
    Super excited! I wish we had BoldManCam to see what's going on...
    spike12 likes this.
    04-20-12 11:26 AM
    Yeah. It's pretty obvious Cascades UI will be released in some form or another. Nice to see Saunders mentioning it though. There are a ton of sessions and labs covering it at Jam. I don't know how complete it will be though or if it will launch as a beta or not. Either way it should give devs the potential to start making rich apps sooner than later.

I'll be at Jam so I hope to see some new stuff. The "How we developed BBM with Cascades" sounds interesting among several others.
    04-20-12 11:28 AM
    hopefully not just "beta" form either
    04-20-12 11:29 AM
    I failed to ask about it being BETA or not.

The release of cascades at bb10jam was not obvious to me.. I assumed it would have been release in october or shortly after that..

The demos have been cool to see, but have come to the realization that they are worthless if they can't be used by devs.. Hopefully that changes asap.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    04-20-12 12:01 PM
    what's wrong with a beta? gmail, chrome and many others were in beta for years and not to mention Google+. beta is part of the dev and release cycle
    04-20-12 12:07 PM
    Beta is much better than nothing at all. I'm just hoping it's not limited and will offer enough to see some well polished apps soon.
    04-20-12 12:10 PM
    let the show begin
    04-20-12 12:12 PM
    If it's part of the BB10 SDK, then I wonder what that means for those of us waiting to use it for PB apps? Will we also see Cascades for PB soon?
    04-20-12 12:12 PM
    If it's part of the BB10 SDK, then I wonder what that means for those of us waiting to use it for PB apps? Will we also see Cascades for PB soon?
    I'm not an experienced developer, but Cascades will be used on top of the NDK for UI elements. Since BB10 should include the PlayBook and future smartphones, I expect this to work for both.

We already have apps built with Cascades. Scrapbook and Print to Go are available publicly. But we've also seen several concepts. They've mostly all been demonstrated on a Playbook.
    04-20-12 12:19 PM
    hopefully not just "beta" form either
    So positive.
    04-20-12 12:21 PM
    I'm not an experienced developer, but Cascades will be used on top of the NDK for UI elements. Since BB10 should include the PlayBook and future smartphones, I expect this to work for both.
    Well, I understand that, but does that mean we, as third party developers, have to wait for BB10 to ship on Playbook before we can ship our own Cascades apps? I want to get a couple Cascades apps out this summer, before BB10 ships. I'm very much hoping for something we can work with on PB OS2.

We already have apps built with Cascades. Scrapbook and Print to Go are available publicly. But we've also seen several concepts. They've mostly all been demonstrated on a Playbook.
    Sure, but as third party developers, we're still waiting for access to Cascades so that we can make Playbook apps with it. If it's only for BB10, then that means no third-party Cascades apps until at least the end of the year, right? (given that they said PB won't get BB10 until sometime *after* the BB10 phones are available).
    Last edited by app_Developer; 04-20-12 at 02:46 PM.
    04-20-12 02:40 PM
    ...another sign that RIM's ability to meet its targets is showing improvement...
    04-20-12 02:43 PM
    Well, I understand that, but does that mean we, as third party developers, have to wait for BB10 to ship on Playbook before we can ship our own Cascades apps? I want to get a couple Cascades apps out this summer, before BB10 ships. I'm very much hoping for something we can work with on PB OS2.
    No, it doesn't mean that to me. I think come BlackBerry Jam, developers will be able to start making apps for BB10. Whether it's using Cascades or say a WebWorks app with BB10-like elements, the sessions will help developers get going on them now. I think they realize they need to start now in order to develop the ecosystem prior to BB10 launching. Another clue is that they are giving all of the Jam attendants a BB10 alpha phone for testing their apps on.

Also, don't forget current Webworks, Android, and AIR apps will work with BB10 as well. I think Tablet OS -- > BB10 is just a UI change and the base of the os/ecosystem will remain. We should find out more about this in the next two weeks.
    04-20-12 03:15 PM
    It'll probably be Beta. Beta's still good though.
    ChristopherSharp likes this.
    04-20-12 04:41 PM
    Look at the bright side. Beta is better than alpha.
    04-20-12 04:45 PM
    But they're releasing alpha prototype devices....
    04-20-12 04:58 PM
    Very very NICE! Can't wait to see what's coming. Glad I stuck with BB. I only been tempted once or twice to switch over to another platform because of others but Glad I didn't. My Bold 9650 and PlayBook serve all my needs. I don't leave anybody when they are having a hard time in life lol. . What kind of loyal friend would I be? LOL.
    04-20-12 08:52 PM
    I hope this is more than just "cool looking" effects and transitions.

I hope it also brings consistency among the UI, and better cross platform integration.
    04-21-12 04:47 AM
    Although they are calling them 'Alpha' devices, we all know the PlayBook was the true Alpha device!
    04-21-12 11:00 AM
    That's separate from their progress with app development tools. The devices are alpha prototypes due to their hardware not being finalized and will likely see changes made to the production models. We might even see a stripped out OS on the prototypes. But the one sure thing is that you will be able to use apps on them since they are for testing purposes.
    04-21-12 01:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD