With RIM's market share in North America declining so rapidly over the last couple of years I have been asking myself why for some time and not really coming up with the answer. How are the good people of America not loving the BlackBerry experience when in many other countries around the world the BlackBerry is the number one selling smartphone?

Whilst at BlackBerry World in Orlando recently I decided to take a trip to the local Verizon store and see what they had to offer. Up until this point I was a Verizon store virgin so was quite looking forward to sampling their experience. (Yes I know that sounds a bit sad!)
    So once I arrived I slowly perused around the store checking out the vast selection of Android devices and of course the iPhone. However, one thing seemed to be missing. I couldn't see a BlackBerry. Thinking this was a little odd I approached one of the sales team in the store and asked her where I could find a BlackBerry. She swiftly replied "We don't sell any." By this point I was a little in shock and instead of questioning her further about it I headed for the exit and made a hasty retreat back to BlackBerry World where I felt back in my comfort zone.

Reflecting back on my experience in the Verizon store is it any wonder that BlackBerry sales are down? The biggest (as far as I am aware) carrier in the U.S is not even selling a single BlackBerry in store. Why?
    I don't know the reason. I can understand the company giving the public what it wants, but not to offer a single BlackBerry strikes me as very odd. Surely those Americans that do still love the BlackBerry solution are forced to go to another carrier? So is Verizon losing these people as valuable customers just because they want to sell Android devices and iPhones? I can only presume so.

With me being over in the UK, what I have described above frankly baffles me and almost makes my blood boil. If anyone else can shed some light on this situation I would love to hear it. I realise that playing games and having the best apps on a mobile device is what most consumers want, but in America is that so much better than having what I consider to be the best and most efficient communication device? Until I get some feedback I will presume it is.

I wonder if next year, post BlackBerry 10 things will be different? I would like to hope so.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-18-12 05:24 PM
    Should not be surprising.... in sales you sell what is selling.... with RIM considered dead by many in America it is not suprising you had this experience..... If Android and Apple are the main sellers... of course that is what hey will push...... This will be RIM'S challenge with BB10... genetating some excitement which then translates into sales.....
    05-18-12 05:58 PM
    I think they accelerated the sales nose dive

I've been in many carrier stores where salespeople say negative things about BlackBerry, products they should be trying to sell. When I upgraded to the 9810 the salesperson repeatedly said the phone freezes and it's buggy

A lot of two-faced conversations between RIM and carrier big-wigs
    05-18-12 06:23 PM
    Should not be surprising.... in sales you sell what is selling.... with RIM considered dead by many in America it is not suprising you had this experience..... If Android and Apple are the main sellers... of course that is what hey will push...... This will be RIM'S challenge with BB10... genetating some excitement which then translates into sales.....

being someone in sales I greatly disagree with the bolded statement

in Sales you sell what you have, not "what is selling" and you sell what you can generate the best income from or helps the corporate strategy the best,
    if you "sell what is selling" then nothing new would come out.

Verizon sees more of an Advantage in pushing the Android agenda, so corporately they do that, the store front lacky's sell what they know, or think is cool, in accordance with What Verizons merchandisers and purchasers supply them with.

RIM failed to provide Verizon a quality iPhone competitor, Android offered Verizon a few options but ultimately not enough for Verizon to Not need to adopt Apple if they wanted to remain the dominate carrier in the US, Verizon may bring some good will to RIM with BB10, the Verizon corporate NEED right now is moving people to LTE, and RIM has no LTE devices yet.
    05-18-12 06:42 PM
    What's strange to me is why do most people want a phone that looks like everyone else's? RIM should just cater to their own market ( mature adults and businesses ) and do their own thing. The Blackberry is the Cadillac of smartphones ( with its own distinct look ) and should not join the clone market. There will always be enough, plus more, of the BB market to keep RIM afloat. Just be yourself......
    05-18-12 07:03 PM
    Verizon is just pushing their 4G LTE devices. It was difficult for me to get the Verizon Rep to quit talking about Android 4G devices and sell me an iPhone (for my mother, I swear lol ) a couple of months ago. When RIM comes out with 4G LTE devices, we'll start seeing them back in Verizon stores...hopefully
    05-18-12 08:32 PM
    Rims drop in sales is directly connected to Android and Apples devices. The consumer wanted more from their phones and RIM didn't deliver! As long as BB10 is a success and I believe it will RIM will become a major player in the smart phone market once again.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-18-12 08:43 PM
    Right now most carriers would pimp out their own mothers if they thought they could make a buck.

The fact is that they are headed for an implosion. They have pushed smart phones sales to the point where 50 percent of the folks with a cell phones in the US now have a smartphone.
    While at the same time complain and punish their customers for using more and more bandwidth.
    It does not take too many active gray cells to see this will hit critical mass sometime down the road.
    So by pushing IPhones and Droids, both known to be more of a bandwidth hog then Blackberrys, they are selling short and not looking down the road.

Yes, RIM needs to get their act together and start producing a viable phone, but in the end the carriers will sell what makes them the most $$$s short term and be damn'd with the future.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 05-18-12 at 08:49 PM.
    05-18-12 08:45 PM
    Verizon is just pushing their 4G LTE devices. It was difficult for me to get the Verizon Rep to quit talking about Android 4G devices and sell me an iPhone (for my mother, I swear lol ) a couple of months ago. When RIM comes out with 4G LTE devices, we'll start seeing them back in Verizon stores...hopefully
    This is what I learned three or four months ago when I bought my 9370. I actually asked if they got commissions for selling Android devices and they said they did, on 4G LTE devices.
    05-18-12 08:45 PM
    I think that a lot of carriers want their sales associates to sell what is the highest-selling device on the market; and whatever device will make the carrier the most money. I can understand this within the mindset of capitalism. Companies want to sell "what sells" so they can generate more revenues and to be able to outlast other companies selling similar products. But what I do not like is that, even if the majority of buyers of smartphone devices do want to purchase an Android or iPhone (which is perfectly fine - I have nothing against Android and am a huge fan; and the Windows phone is plain awesome. iPhone is okay but I admit the screen and camera are superb.); what if the minority - even a few people - want to buy a BlackBerry? The carriers are therefore not being mutually exhaustive in offering all of the possible smartphone categories from which to choose. I can't speak for Verizon Wireless, however, because I am a Rogers customer; and even though I see more Android over there, there are still BlackBerry devices displayed and the sales reps there still advocate them (at least, where I've shopped).

I think it might also have to do with the individual carrier stores/kiosks themselves, maybe what their certain district employers want to sell or what has sold for that specific store in the past, and the individual store's clientel. If more iPhone users walk in there, they will see the statistics there and will probably put out more iPhones on display.

I think BB10 will have an effect on sales in some way. Hopefully, their appearance will generate more customers and more revenue. It would be great. But even if they get "bad" publicity or negative feedback, that is still publicity/feedback in general; so that could even turn more eyes to RIM, anyway (more developers hired to "improve" the software, more app developers, improved hardware, etc.). You never know!
    05-18-12 09:08 PM
    Flat out yes. The VZW folks here actually talked me out of BB when I had one and went in for a contract renewal. 2 years with a crap Android later, I switch carriers to AT&T and when they ask me what phone I want on my new plan, I tell them I want a BB and the 2 guys behind the counter I'm NOT talking to literally said out loud; "really?" and one actually said "what the h e double L for?"

The sales rep I was dealing with had a no joke shocked look on his face. So much so that I actually had to ask if he had one in stock or would I have to wait for it to be shipped to me. His response was; "it depends on which one I want."

My answer was 9900. He had to check if they had one. They did have ....one.

So not only do the individual stores not really carry a stock of BB's nor actively sell them to customers, but I found that they are also uneducated about them from a usage perspective. Having been away from BB for 2 years and that one was an 8330 the 9900 was a whole new animal so to speak. So I inevitable had some questions and stopped by the store a few days later to ask a question.

They had to google the answer. C r a p.... I coulda done that.

My point... in the US market it seems that at the sales level and make no mistake how integral that point of influence is, the BB is undermined.
    Last edited by Pathfinder1; 05-18-12 at 09:19 PM.
    Morty2264 and Hgouck like this.
    05-18-12 09:14 PM
    Flat out yes. The VZW folks here actually talked me out of BB when I had one and went in for a contract renewal. 2 years with a e, Android later, I switch carriers to AT&T and when they ask me what phone I want on my new plan, I tell them I want a BB and the 2 guys behind the counter I'm NOT talking to literally said out loud; "really?" and one actually said "what the for?"

The sales rep I was dealing with had a no joke shocked look on his face. So much so that I actually had to ask if he had one in stock or would I have to wait for it to be shipped to me. His response was; "it depends on which one I want."

My answer was 9900. He had to check if they had one. They did have ....one.

So not only do the individual stores not really carry a stock of BB's nor actively sell them to customers, but I found that they are also uneducated about them from a usage perspective. Having been away from BB for 2 years and that one was an 8330 the 9900 was a whole new animal so to speak. So I inevitable had some questions and stopped by the store a few days later to ask a question.

They had to google the answer. I coulda done that.

My point... in the US market it seems that at the sales level and make no mistake how integral that point of influence is, the BB is undermined.
    Whether or not someone is a BlackBerry fan, that level of unprofessionalism is disgusting. I would expect a sales rep to at least know the specifications, features, and hardware of a BlackBerry, an Android, an iPhone, a Windows Phone - any phone (even if it s a general knowledge - they don't have to know everything). Their revenue is based on sales; so if they want to sell to everyone (even the minority who buy BlackBerry), they must know enough about all devices in order to make a sale - or else they can potentially lose customers.
    05-18-12 09:18 PM
    Everytime I go into a carrier store, somebody ALWAYS, always tries to sell me an iPhone. While I have an iPod touch, which does all that mainly for free, I refuse, and they don't want anything to do with me. I just flash my BlackBerry at them...but they don't seem to want to sell anything other than the dang iPhone...one of these days the iPhone might have a big crash like BB did...and then its heck from there...
    05-18-12 09:54 PM
    Yes, I stroy believe carriers are influencing sales of the Blackberry. Just take a look at the Sprint website! They sacked the Blackberry torch which, in my honest opinion, is a great touch screen phone and their only Bold is out of stock. I was lucky enough to meet a Sprint sales rep who loves the Blackberry as much as I do.

Bottom line for me, if Sprint does not carry the Blackerry 10 keyboard phone. I will terminate the contract willingly pay the 300 dollar termination fee and go to a carrier that provides it. It's as simple as that for me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    05-18-12 10:58 PM
    I have in my Household iphone 4S & Android Razr and I have to agree with the OP. Having the latest "app" is all those phones are about. They are not designed and never will be the Cadillac of Business phones. I truly am greatful that I am back on the 9930 Bold. Also you have to remember most sales people in those stores are young kids and running a business is not on their minds. its whats cool to them.

OP you are correct in pondering the same things I do and even posted the same question on FB & Twitter.

we should all buy some RIMM stock and if we did start bringing its value back to where it should be.

As long as I'm running a business and there is a Blackberry then were buying them. Maybe I should move to the UK.

Hgouck likes this.
    05-18-12 11:28 PM
    I have in my Household iphone 4S & Android Razr and I have to agree with the OP. Having the latest "app" is all those phones are about. They are not designed and never will be the Cadillac of Business phones. I truly am greatful that I am back on the 9930 Bold. Also you have to remember most sales people in those stores are young kids and running a business is not on their minds. its whats cool to them.

OP you are correct in pondering the same things I do and even posted the same question on FB & Twitter.

we should all buy some RIMM stock and if we did start bringing its value back to where it should be.

As long as I'm running a business and there is a Blackberry then were buying them. Maybe I should move to the UK.

Wait, the 9300 is the "Cadillac of Business phones?" Just trying to be clear...
    05-18-12 11:37 PM
    RIM failed to provide Verizon a quality iPhone competitor, Android offered Verizon a few options but ultimately not enough for Verizon to Not need to adopt Apple if they wanted to remain the dominate carrier in the US, Verizon may bring some good will to RIM with BB10, the Verizon corporate NEED right now is moving people to LTE, and RIM has no LTE devices yet.
    This is spot-on.

VZW wants its customers to move to LTE devices.

AT&T is also rolling out LTE. The reason I chose my device is because I wanted something LTE-capable. Akron and Canton already have LTE, and Cleveland will be getting it soon. The LTE choices for AT&T are Android or Windows Phone. BlackBerry and iPhone are not LTE-capable yet.
    05-19-12 12:41 AM
    being someone in sales I greatly disagree with the bolded statement

in Sales you sell what you have, not "what is selling" and you sell what you can generate the best income from or helps the corporate strategy the best,
    if you "sell what is selling" then nothing new would come out.

Verizon sees more of an Advantage in pushing the Android agenda, so corporately they do that, the store front lacky's sell what they know, or think is cool, in accordance with What Verizons merchandisers and purchasers supply them with.

I think that you are very right. LTE is what they need, iPhone is what sells without any problem and Blackberry is not their interest. I hope that the BB10 devices will make it change.
    05-19-12 04:41 PM
    Yes they are influencing them away.

Can't believe economist hasn't put his 2 cents in. Must be sick.
    05-19-12 05:09 PM
    I have found the BB brand has always met my needs when it comes to communications. When we switched to smartphones we first tried the Motorola Q. That lasted two weeks. Traded them all in and bought BB pearls and have not looked back. That was when they were wanting to sell BB.
    Now when the phones come up for renewal they always try and turn us toward the IPhone or Android based phones. When I ask them why they recommend them they tell me they can do so much more. When I ask them to give me an example they tell me you can watch videos and download music.
    I just put my Playbook on the counter, open the remote on my bridged 9930, use it to open a movie or open a saved song. Then I told them "I am a business. I want phones to do business things like calls, messaging, and email." I pointed to the tablet and and said "I bought the playbook for enhancing the experience and it can play videos and music when I want entertainment "
    I ended up getting 3 more 9930's
    Last edited by Hgouck; 05-19-12 at 05:54 PM.
    MadGasser likes this.
    05-19-12 05:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD