In the past two years i've managed to get a whole *two* whole people to switch to BB10.

Well now I've lost both of them. My wife was due for an upgrade and went in looking at a Passport but the rep steered her to a Samsung. And now a best bud moved cities and in his phone and number change was also steered to a Samsung as well.

Now both of these people were big BlackBerry supporters but neither are tech savvy. So when it was time to get a new phone - they both went with whatever the sales rep told them to get.

Carrier recommendations reign supreme. It always has and it always will.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.1.2708 | Bell | via CB10
    04-22-15 10:31 PM
    They must have liked the salesmanship

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    04-22-15 10:32 PM
    It does. And BB isn't after the people going into a brick and mortar store so I wouldn't let it bother you.
    04-22-15 10:33 PM
    My issue is a BB10 phone would do everything they need it to do - calls, text, BBM, pictures, facebook. Yet they were still steered away from Blackberry.

04-22-15 10:45 PM
    In the us no one has been able to break the carriers grip on buying choices. If your phone doesn't have the carriers sales staff behind you its an uphill battle. I think BlackBerry prior to the z10 launch should of had reps walking into carrier stores with bags of payola instead of the useless super bowl commercial

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 12:42 AM
    It's not just the carrier reps folks, it's also the fact that folks are going to buy what's popular, what their friends are using and that have the apps that support their daily task.

Here in the USA, I can't remember when I have actually seen a Blackberry OS10 device in the wild? Here all I see are Galaxies and iPhones stuck in folks ears.

There is no one to blame for this but Blackberry themselves, they have abandoned the consumer market and most carriers here will not even support the brand!!

It's a dam shame for the once iconic brand to be swept aside, but that's the way the consumer market is folks. The iPhone and Androids are now embedded into the culture here.

I honestly think the days of seeing Blackberry return here have long past, it's just reality folks and I have come to accept it whether I like it or not.
    Witmen, ers_1967 and andy275 like this.
    04-23-15 03:50 AM
    Haha, you can't win them all I guess. That's too bad, your wife is going to miss out on a great experience with the Passport and BB10. When she gets frustrated with her Galaxy make sure you shine a light on the Passport again.
    04-23-15 04:23 AM
    I've seen this happen so many times. Where I work I have a lot of older sales reps. They need their phones for their work - often on the road (real estate). The younger reps I can see getting by with an android or iPhone no problem, but it bugs the heck out of me when the older reps bring me back their new android and have no idea how to run it, drop it constantly and break the screen, and complain about the keyboard vs their old BlackBerry. They've all been told that BlackBerry isn't going to be around by the carrier rep and so this is what they end up with.

I have managed to educate some of them and so we have started having a new influx of BlackBerry Classics. And they are very very happy to be back with BlackBerry.

I wish reps would actually listen to what people need instead of just selling what they make the most buck on. It would be like me selling a family of 4 a 1 bdm condo in an adult community. Just not right. (disclaimer - I am not a real estate rep - I don't do sales - do not ask me about house prices - lol)

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    04-23-15 06:01 AM
    My issue is a BB10 phone would do everything they need it to do - calls, text, BBM, pictures, facebook. Yet they were still steered away from Blackberry.

Steered away with better screen resolutions, better processors, better cameras, more apps, etc., all for the same price? Probably not a hard sale for the sales associate. Obviously these people were not as big of fans as you thought. Too bad even the fans don't have devices to go out and buy currently.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 06:22 AM
    Not many customers want a physical keyboard. Even so the Classic has a small screen and the Passport is too wide.

The Leap could be a good zero down phone but people want to buy their phones at a carrier store. The slider looks like the last great hope.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 08:31 AM
    Steered away with better screen resolutions, better processors, better cameras, more apps, etc., all for the same price? Probably not a hard sale for the sales associate. Obviously these people were not as big of fans as you thought. Too bad even the fans don't have devices to go out and buy currently.

Posted via CB10
    This doesn't apply to his wife actually going into the store wanting a Passport. The Passport has better specs than the OnePlus One. In other words, it has competitive specs in screen resolution, RAM, battery life, processor speed, and graphics performance (though it's literally the only BB10 phone that has flagship specs -- but again, that is the model she intended to get).

Via CB Android on BB10 (jst 4 kiks)
    04-23-15 07:41 PM
    This doesn't apply to his wife actually going into the store wanting a Passport. The Passport has better specs than the OnePlus One. In other words, it has competitive specs in screen resolution, RAM, battery life, processor speed, and graphics performance (though it's literally the only BB10 phone that has flagship specs -- but again, that is the model she intended to get).

Via CB Android on BB10 (jst 4 kiks)
    He said she and a friend were steered to Samsung, not OnePlus One. When you compare the new Samsung to the Passport, and then pricing, the Samsung likely looks way more attractive and likely costs the same too.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 07:55 PM
    I had a similar experience when I went to buy my Q10. I walked in wanting the Q and asked for it...and then got the hard sell (for Samsung, this particular rep was an Android guy). Didn't let up til I said I wanted a PKB. It's one thing when you walk in looking for recommendations but when you know what you want and they try to work you it's annoying.

I'm not really sure how much of it is anti-BlackBerry per se so much as they want to push the most expensive phone in the store.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 09:39 PM
    I had a similar experience when I went to buy my Q10. I walked in wanting the Q and asked for it...and then got the hard sell (for Samsung, this particular rep was an Android guy). Didn't let up til I said I wanted a PKB. It's one thing when you walk in looking for recommendations but when you know what you want and they try to work you it's annoying.

I'm not really sure how much of it is anti-BlackBerry per se so much as they want to push the most expensive phone in the store.

Posted via CB10
    It's the commission... *rolleyes*

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    04-23-15 11:13 PM
    In the past two years i've managed to get a whole *two* whole people to switch to BB10.
    BlackBerry devices may be a hobby for you and a labor of love but it's probably different if you are trying to make a living selling these smartphones.

I think that most carrier reps have decided that unless someone really knows what they are getting, BlackBerrys are at higher risk of being returned because the user wanted Snapchat or MLB or assumed that their bank app was compatible. Most users don't come in with a list of the apps they want and most carrier reps aren't going to keep up with what is and is not in the Amazon App Store. I think it's reasonable for them to point out the limitations of the ecosystem and make sure that they get what they want. You can't blame the reps for not wanting a lot of returns.
    04-23-15 11:46 PM