First post here, so hi

Let me fill you in on my situation...

I currently have a normal cell phone w/ US Cellular, and I wanted to upgrade to a smart phone. After browsing what is available, Blackberry's seem to be the best smart phones out there. In my area, USC offers the Curve and the Pearl, and if I want I can get a Curve on the 12th and begin another 2 year plan.

However I'm wondering if that's the best thing for me to do. Verizon has the Storm, AT&T has the Bold (and iPhone, my wife likes that) and both these phones are newer and seem like they will be better choices in the long run.

I'd appreciate it people with the experience could help enlighten me on what I would be missing out on if I got the Curve over the Storm/Bold. I'd like to add that I plan on using the phone for internet access with my notebook so network speed is an important factor also.

Any insights would be great
    02-05-09 10:59 PM
    I'm gonna lay this out very simply....

No one is going to be able to decide for you. Blackberries are across the board designed for specific niches and personal preferences. Your best bet is to visit different carrier stores, try different phones, figure out which interface(s) you like, which carrier's you like, and which form-factor you like. From there, choose.
    02-05-09 11:04 PM
    Yea just like Norsk said it totally depends on personal preference. I would def go down to your local provider and give each BB a try and see how you like them. I have a Curve and a 8830 and i absolutely love both of them and am HIGHLY addicted to them lol. But i have nothing but GREAT and POSITIVE things to say about my Curve, it is a amazing device and IMO nothing contends with it. I sell phones for a living and the Bold is one of the top 3 phones out there right now, once again my opinion. I would def recommend the Curve over the Pearl any day of the week though. Pearl has suretype without a full keyboard and less memory. Once again though these are opinions and i recommend you go down and give each one a test drive and see how you feel.
    02-05-09 11:12 PM
    Its all what feels good, looks good to you (well at least that is how I feel)

I have a curve, love it and would never replace it unless I was going to a bold which I am in a few months. I have tried all 3 phones in the stores alot and the bold and curve are the only two on that list you wrote about I would buy. I am not a fan of the storm but that is just a weird thing I have about touch screens as well as a few other things I have learned since being on this forum.

Go mess with them in the stores or go to blackberry.com and compare the 3 devices side by side to see what does what...... then you can take carriers into mind since for example you cant get a storm from at&t but you can use a storm on their network if you so choose to pay........

Good luck
    02-05-09 11:16 PM
    I'm gonna lay this out very simply....

No one is going to be able to decide for you. Blackberries are across the board designed for specific niches and personal preferences. Your best bet is to visit different carrier stores, try different phones, figure out which interface(s) you like, which carrier's you like, and which form-factor you like. From there, choose.
    You bring up a good point. I guess I was looking more for an answer like...

"The Strom and Bold are superior to the Curve because they can do A, B, C, and D."

To be honest, I have no idea if one is really "superior". From what I've gathered specifically about the Curve, it's capabilities seem pretty amazing for a portable device, and I'm wondering if the "new tech" is even more amazing.

As far as form factors and such, I'll be getting some hands on time with them this weekend, I'm already trying to figure out if I'm going to like the "clicky" touchscreen on the Storm, not to mention texting with a screen.
    02-05-09 11:17 PM
    I can assure you once you start playing with them you will have an easier time. I wanted the storm badly until I messed with it. It took all of about 2 minutes for me to walk away..........

See ya next week when you get your new BB
    02-05-09 11:19 PM
    You bring up a good point. I guess I was looking more for an answer like...

"The Strom and Bold are superior to the Curve because they can do A, B, C, and D."

To be honest, I have no idea if one is really "superior". From what I've gathered specifically about the Curve, it's capabilities seem pretty amazing for a portable device, and I'm wondering if the "new tech" is even more amazing.

As far as form factors and such, I'll be getting some hands on time with them this weekend, I'm already trying to figure out if I'm going to like the "clicky" touchscreen on the Storm, not to mention texting with a screen.
    The storm, you are going to Love or Hate. Personally I love the Storm. It does take a little bit to get used to but once you are, it will feel natural, or at least it did for me.
    02-05-09 11:26 PM
    Sorry we're not much help on this one for you, but I'll add to the others that I have a Curve 8330 and I LOVE IT. It is all personal preference on this one. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever Blackberry you chose.... did I mention the Curve is amazing!
    02-05-09 11:26 PM
    So I went to the stores today and played with the Bold, Storm, and the Curve.

My thoughts...

Storm - Flat out awesome. Screen was big, clear/crisp, touch screen sensitivity was great, and I actually liked the "click" feature it had. Typing on it actually felt natural like I was on a mini keyboard. From the specs I picked up, it has the better camera also (which is important to my wife, the photographer in our family). Whats important to me, we might be in the Ev-Do Rev A area. Also, some of you may have noticed that Verizon is doing a buy one get one for Blackberry's (the place I went said they weren't doing it, but it wasn't really a Verizon store, just a kiosk in the mall) so that makes this the attractive way to go since both my wife and I are looking to get these phones.

Bold - Pretty cool also. I don't like the keypad that much. At first it felt a little too hard and stiff, but I'm sure I'd either get used to it, or wear it in. By far the most stylish of the three, and it's screen is pretty amazing also. AT&T doesn't have 3G coverage here leaving me using the EDGE network, although the wi-fi is handy.

Curve - Well, it's without a doubt a cool device, but the size of it along with what seemed to be a even stiffer keypad than the bold made me not really want it. For internet, it depends which network I go with, but pretty much I could choose between Ev-Do, Ev-Do Rev A, and the EDGE network.

EDIT: and if anyone can give me some downsides to the iPhone versus the Storm (or just in general) that would great. My wife has a couple of co-workers who have iPhones and she likes it the best so far, however I think it's only because of the slightly larger screen and she's been exposed to it more.
    Last edited by JasonG2005; 02-06-09 at 01:39 PM.
    02-06-09 01:33 PM

EDIT: and if anyone can give me some downsides to the iPhone versus the Storm (or just in general) that would great. My wife has a couple of co-workers who have iPhones and she likes it the best so far, however I think it's only because of the slightly larger screen and she's been exposed to it more.
    Ok she MAY well prefer the iphone. It's pros, better browser, wifi, AND available apps. Cons, no MMS (multimedia messages), email is not true push like BB, AND (this is the biggie for me) no copy and paste.

Storm (my phone of choice) Pros, It's a BB, so push email, copy and paste a MILLION and 1 ways to customize it, decent media player (but the iphone, IS an ipod), sligtly smaller, BUT better resolution screen. The click so no false selections. Cons: Harware learning curve, software is not fully optimized yet, no wifi, limited Apps (BUT an App store is coming soon)
    02-06-09 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD