I to am having problems with my my bluetooth randomly disconnecting from my Blackberry Curve 8330. So I have to go to the settings in my phone and turn the connection back on everytime I want to use it. After a couple times of reconnecting the BT it will eventually switch to "disabled" and I can't get it to pair back up or connect to even use it again.

I have tried 4 different brands of headset and even received a replacement phone....nothing has fixed this issue for me. I have called technical support and been to 3 different stores hoping for some help or answers and everyone I've talked to through Verizon says they have never heard of this problem and nobody has tried to help me fix the problem.
    09-15-08 09:29 AM
    Do you have the Bluetooth Activity LED enabled, as described earlier in the thread?
    09-15-08 09:39 AM
    I didn't try turning on the LED indicator light because I don't like that blinking light and I don't want a "duct tape" fix per say. I want it to work the way it's meant to work. But I guess I may have no other choice because Verizon told me to try a 2nd replacement phone and I am hesitant going through the process of deleting all the info in my old phone and resetting all my setting on the new phone and then I have to have my company reset me to the Enterprise server and do all that to just have the same thing happen.

I keep getting my hopes up that it's going to magically start working properly because my latest headset "Plantronics 360" holds the connection way longer than the motorola's and the LG headsets I've tried. It now can hold it for several hours where as the others would only be 10 minutes.

On the blackberry support forums I read that upgrading to the 4.5 OS software should help the problem but currently Verizon hasn't made it available and I was told they can't give an estimate when it will be released. Has anyone tried getting the 4.5 from another carrier? If so, did it cause any problems with your phone?
    09-16-08 10:57 AM
    I hate to say it, but you really don't have any choice re the Bluetooth LED. It's a known bug. A new software release might include a fix for it. I don't know.

You can use any vendor's OS4.5, as long as it's for your device. Just follow the upgrade procedure.
    09-16-08 11:07 AM
    I'm having a problem with my bluetooth too... I cant seem to connect to any device at any given time...
    and I do have the LED activated...
    I'm going to my service center today and check it out...
    Fingers crossed that i get a new 1.
    09-17-08 02:31 AM
    My 8330 connects to my motorola bluetooth <10% of the time. I've tried the battery pulls, rebooting, LED on, off, etc. There is no consistent pattern it simply refuses to work even though both devices indicate a connection. No one at U.S. Cellular or anywhere else seems to have any idea. My son has the same Motorola bluetooth unit and a BB pearl and it works flawlessly. It would be wonderful if SOMEONE, ANYONE, could offer some real solution. does anyone know if RIM is aware of the situation, and if so are they doing anything to rectify ?
    09-18-08 01:02 PM
    Have you checked the Motorola web-site to see if the 8330 is listed as a compatible device? I always assumed bluetooth was bluetooth, but a user pointed out a couple of days ago that there are compatibility lists. I've had a lot of problems with Plantronics devices. I checked their web-site, and sure enough, the 8830 is not listed as compatible. It's probably worth looking to see if your 8330 is listed as compatible.
    Last edited by JeffH; 09-18-08 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typo
    09-18-08 01:07 PM
    Thanks for the info. I actually spoke with the people on the Bluetooth hotline regarding the issue a couple days ago and here's what they told me. "Blackberry does not guarantee compatability with any aftermarket automobile bluetooth unit. They do publish a list of which automobile OEM units, factory installed, with which they are compatible. In addition, there is a list of headsets with which they are compatible published." The people at U.S. Cellular from whom I bought the phone had told me it would work with the Motorola system in the car, and it does, every now and then.
    09-18-08 01:19 PM
    UGGGH! Have the idiots at Blackberry been able to find a fix for this ridiculously annoying bluetooth problem? It's been how long now???!!!

And for the record, activating the uber-annoying blinking blue light does NOT solve the issue. My bluetooth connection still randomly goes into "disabled" mode and the ONLY way to fix is a reset. I agree with the previous poster that this is a bandaid fix anyway... I rely on that blinking RED light for messages... a short glance would turn into a LONG STARE if I have to wait between alternating color flashes to find out if I have a message. How frigging annoying.

And thanks to the wonderful engineers at Blackberry, what was a short and simple reset time on my old Treo, now translates into a phone which is 100% USELESS for 5+ minutes... because that's how long it takes for my phone to go through its start up cycle before becoming usable.

I'm sorry, but this is such a joke. Maybe BB should focus on fixing their current line of phones so they actually PERFORM LIKE NORMAL FUNCTIONING PHONES before they invest any $$ in their future product offerings.

This is just ridiculous.
    12-11-08 08:20 PM
    Add one more user of the 8700g to the bluetooth disabled and cant enable it list !!! I called T-Mobile and was on the phone whto them for a hour and still no results. I drove to the T-mobile store I might has well drove to a third world nation!
    01-26-09 08:04 PM
    I have the same problem. When I go to my Bluetooth function and try to enable it, it does nothing. No error, no warning, no message saying it can not be connected....NOTHING.

My friends and I have been using the bluetooth to send files like ringtones, pictures, etc. Now, it won't enable, so I can't get them!! UGH! Very frustrating. I've had this phone for about a month now, and I LOVE it, but this problem just recently came up. I had no problems with it before, now it's acting like a pain in the ****!!! I have insurance on the phone, should I just go in and see if they can repair it? Or should I try and get a replacement?
    01-27-09 02:36 PM
    So I go into the bluetooth settings and I come to find out that the bluetooth feature was "disabled". Huh? I sure as heck didn't do that. So I click on "enable bluetooth" in options but NOTHING HAPPENS. I go back into options and try again. Nothing. Choosing it doesn't enable anything, just like Peter Griffin's breakfast machine - it doesn't make breakfast at all. It just states at the top of the screen: Bluetooth: Disabled. Friggen great. I tried turning the phone on and off - NOTHING. I tried to turn my Samsung headset on and off - NOTHING. So the only way to get the bluetooth to start up again is to do a battery pull. Anyone else having the same problem? This sucks.
    Just posted a possible(?) solution over in this thread:

Enable Bluetooth

I had this same issue. When looking on my device I went to bluetooth settings and it gave me no options at all to enable it. Toying around and searching the device I went to

Options > Advanced options > Cell Broadcast Settings

... and discovered that the cell broadcasting service option was set to OFF.

I changed it to ON and went back to my bluetooth settings area
    ( options > bluetooth )
    Now with the other change when I go in here I have the option to enable bluetooth.
    Hope this works for some others here.

Last edited by mojosingle; 02-03-09 at 03:51 PM.
    02-03-09 03:47 PM
    Just posted a possible(?) solution over in this thread:

Enable Bluetooth

Nope, that's another issue. Keep in mind that those people (incl myself) that are suffering from the "unable to enable bluetooth despite there clearly being an ENABLE BLUETOOTH option" have no problem finding the option to do it. It's just that choosing the option does nothing. No error, no notification. After you choose "enable bluetooth" it just sits there... waiting for you to start cursing and eventually pull out your battery in anger... then waiting 8 minutes for your phone to reboot.

Just for the record. I have been dealing with this issue for over 9 months now, EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. And still, no solution or fix from the wonderful people at BB.
    03-29-09 07:17 AM
    Still no answer? Count me in the boat too.
    11-24-09 07:06 PM
    My LG HBM-520 has been working well for me. No problems at all connecting to my 8330 Curve.
    11-24-09 11:49 PM
    Hey just wondering if anyone can help! I have a curve 8350i and my bluetooth works
    With sending and receiving files but the proble lies in my headset I cannot hear a ringing tone when making a call
    And in the to left hand corner beside my profile icon another icon shows up
    It is like a little phone icon with a red slash through it. I contacted my service provider
    And they said they never heard of this problem. All I know is is that when placing a call or receiving one I cannot
    Hear anything but the device is paired on enabled. Can anyone help?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-09 08:56 PM
    Nope, that's another issue. Keep in mind that those people (incl myself) that are suffering from the "unable to enable bluetooth despite there clearly being an ENABLE BLUETOOTH option" have no problem finding the option to do it. It's just that choosing the option does nothing. No error, no notification. After you choose "enable bluetooth" it just sits there... waiting for you to start cursing and eventually pull out your battery in anger... then waiting 8 minutes for your phone to reboot.

Just for the record. I have been dealing with this issue for over 9 months now, EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. And still, no solution or fix from the wonderful people at BB.
    I loved being handsfree in my new car with my 8330. Suddenly one day, as everyone here has experienced, my bluetooth just became disabled and will not ENABLE. Thanks to all of your posts I was at least able to figure out that pulling the battery could be a temp. solution. This is my first BB so I'm wondering if this lack of response from them is typical?
    01-12-10 11:36 AM
    ... This is my first BB so I'm wondering if this lack of response from them is typical?
    I don't work for RIM and cannot speak for them, but as a long-time BlackBerry user, I'd say it is typical. You won't get an OS update just to fix a specific problem. They may roll the fix into a future release, but since they typically don't do detailed release notes, you can't necessarily tell if a new version fixes a specific problem. And they spend much more energy pushing out new products rather than maintaining old ones. You have the oldest model phone that's going to continue to be supported in OS 5.0, so you can have some hope that OS 5.0 might include a fix for the problem. It's been reported enough that they must be aware of it.
    01-12-10 11:55 AM
    I too am having the same problem. However my situation is a little different. I let someone use my flashed whackberry. They inserted a verizon sim card (y I dont know). My bluetooth immediately stopped working. Prior to this I had my berry synced with my motorola and a Sony Ericson phone. NO Issues until the card was inserted.
    - did a battery pull
    - attempted to enable the bluetooth indicator light it also will not enable.
    - In response i downgraded my o/s.
    - attempted to load a fresh bluetooth cod
    - also did a factory reset of the i/t policy
    ... still nothing.

When I pull the event log for the phone it says bluetooth data: off.

Any ideals or suggestions... a phone without bluetooth just isn't worth it to me.
    08-11-10 01:53 PM
    My 9630 has the problem. If you select Add Device from the Bluetooth menu it'll say "enabling bluetooth" and then of course, it's still disabled. NOT HAPPY!
    10-07-10 10:20 AM
    my 9630 has the same problem as well. are there any potential updates to this problem?

hands-free is becoming more prevalent as a state law - this lack of Bluetooth functionality bites the big cheese.
    01-06-11 10:31 AM
    I have the blackberry 8330 and I have a very expensive blue tooth headset, my headset used to play my mp3's wirelessly to my headset and I often had the same issue where the connection would auto disable. Now I am having the same problem as everyone else when I try to enable the blue tooth nothing happens leading me to believe that the blue tooth hardware in the phone has gone bad.
    04-06-11 11:17 AM
    My wife's 9780 got water damaged. While a local repair shop was able to start it back to life after 4 days, the bluetooth radio seems to have taken the hit.
    Just like others here, the BT just won't turn on. It tries to switch the radio on, but after a 15 second try, it unchecks itself.
    Since my phone is out of warranty, due to water damage, is there anything that can be done to replace the BT radio on the board or is she stuck with a wired headset.
    05-01-11 02:53 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD