I believe that was meant metaphorically, not literally.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    09-28-13 07:28 PM
    Why because you realize how ridiculous that comparison is?
    ...and it only took you how long to figure out what to even a slow 5 year old would have been obvious. Wow! You ACTUALLY read that entire intentionally ridiculous list AND STILL wound up here.
    09-28-13 07:35 PM
    ...and it only took you how long to figure out what to even a slow 5 year old would have been obvious. Wow! You ACTUALLY read that entire intentionally ridiculous list AND STILL wound up here.
    Don't watch...the fact of the matter is that its absolutely absurd that people spend hundreds of dollars a month on virtual candy or farming or whatever it is.
    You comparing potatoes and color TV doesn't minimize the fact that it's absolutely ridiculous and speaks volumes to the stupitity of our current society. Spend that money as the makers of Candy Crush laugh at people for being so stupid as they run all the way to the bank.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 07:40 PM
    Don't watch...the fact of the matter is that its absolutely absurd that people spend hundreds of dollars a month on virtual candy or farming or whatever it is.
    You comparing potatoes and color TV doesn't minimize the fact that it's absolutely ridiculous and speaks volumes to the stupitity of our current society. Spend that money as the makers of Candy Crush laugh at people for being so stupid as they run all the way to the bank.
    1) It is not a comparison despite what your now suspect comprehension skills may be telling you.

2) People have always spent money on stuff that other people think is stupid. Always will and no matter how much you or anyone else rails against it will matter not.

3) The point of that absurd list was to show that throughout history there are tons of examples of how some perceived fad or idiocy was going to bring about the collapse of society and yet here we are, plugging along exponentially better than we were.

You may have no appreciation for the game (nor do I) but apparently many do. Get over it. It just ain't that damn serious.
    richardat likes this.
    09-28-13 08:59 PM
    1) It is not a comparison despite what your now suspect comprehension skills may be telling you.

2) People have always spent money on stuff that other people think is stupid. Always will and no matter how much you or anyone else rails against it will matter not.

3) The point of that absurd list was to show that throughout history there are tons of examples of how some perceived fad or idiocy was going to bring about the collapse of society and yet here we are, plugging along exponentially better than we were.

You may have no appreciation for the game (nor do I) but apparently many do. Get over it. It just ain't that damn serious.
    First of all my comprehension skills are just fine so you can stop with the insults (maybe look up the definition of a comparison).
    Second of all, a color TV and talking movies are not fads and have never been.
    I'm done with this conversation because you clearly turn to insults when a post of yours is questioned.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-13 09:04 PM
    And it will be worth nothing in the same short amount of time again ...

Posted via CB10
    Which is the reason you sell the product or service once it gains critical mass.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    09-28-13 09:13 PM
    First of all my comprehension skills are just fine so you can stop with the insults (maybe look up the definition of a comparison).
    I'm done with this conversation because you clearly turn to insults when a post of yours is questioned.

Posted via CB10
    You keep skipping over the word "PERCEIVED" which at the time of their inception no one took them seriously, so yes they were PERCEIVED to be fads. I am not insulting you, you are doing that well enough on your own.
    09-28-13 10:18 PM
    You keep skipping over the word "PERCEIVED" which at the time of their inception no one took them seriously, so yes they were PERCEIVED to be fads. I am not insulting you, you are doing that well enough on your own.
    Whatever, I knew what you were trying to do but don't use things that are tangible and many of which weren't fads. Get over yourself. The game is a joke and the fact that people spend money on it is an even bigger joke. Yes that's my opinion.
    09-28-13 10:51 PM
    Which is the reason you sell the product or service once it gains critical mass.

Or let it tank 90%... lol

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 01:04 AM
    Never forget how the world was going to end due to Elvis shaking his ***.
    richardat likes this.
    09-29-13 09:44 AM
    I added quote of CNNMoney article to OP and made thread title a bit more descriptive.
    10-14-13 01:24 PM

That's just it... it IS that serious. Too many here and at BlackBerry have not appreciated Candy Crush or Instagram or Netflix or my local Bank App....

If it had been taken as being "damn serious", then maybe we would have those apps and then maybe BlackBerry wouldn't be.... what ever it is today.
    richardat and Darlaten like this.
    10-14-13 01:27 PM
    That's just it... it IS that serious. Too many here and at BlackBerry have not appreciated Candy Crush or Instagram or Netflix or my local Bank App....

If it had been taken as being "damn serious", then maybe we would have those apps and then maybe BlackBerry wouldn't be.... what ever it is today.
    True enough that many people want Candy Crush on their smartphone.

10-14-13 01:31 PM
    Entertainment based TV and movies most certainly have often been "fads", the same can be said for popular music, art, and any number of other human entertainment/hobby endeavors. Why you would make a distinction between movies and video games is beyond me.

Inane as it could be viewed to be, people have always, when they have the means, spent money and resources on frivolous endeavors: baseball cards, marbles, fashionable clothing, customizing their cars. They do this for many for ego and entertainment. It's all rather silly but it's human nature, and unless you intend to rage against it all, I'm not sure you can make a sound argument based on the subjective place where you personally start calling not worthwhile. Note that I used some "tangible" (arguably the tangible objects here are not what is actually important to those hobbies either but that's another discussion)....since you seem to be hinting that somehow tangible hobbies are qualitatively better to you...though that would not seem the case since you defend movies and TV....

In my days, Video Games were called a fad for many, many years.....as it turns out, they have been far more enduring than most entertainment forms.
    10-15-13 06:13 AM
    Whatever, I knew what you were trying to do but don't use things that are tangible and many of which weren't fads. Get over yourself. The game is a joke and the fact that people spend money on it is an even bigger joke. es that's my opinion.
    This is fine.....it is your opinion, and you are entitled to call video games a joke if you wish. There are others who would join you for sure....again, you're reiterating your "tangible" argument - I find it odd that you'd defend movies.....if you have some rational distinction for that distinction, then you haven't made it clear.

Moreover, I repeat from my other response, I think calling video games a fad is - at this point - a stretch. It's certainly proved to be an enduring phenomenon which shows no sign of abating at this point.
    10-15-13 06:32 AM
    good for Candy Crush, but I hope they don't turn into another Zynga. But then, experience tells...

best not to get too invested in this company. LOL. (disclosure: i don't play nor do stocks)
    10-15-13 08:05 AM
    Sounds like normal business.
    Maybe in your part of the world but nowhere in the Western world.
    10-15-13 09:00 AM
    What is Candy Crush?

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-15-13 12:43 PM
    What is Candy Crush?

Posted via CB10
    Almost three times as many Candy Crush players as there are BlackBerry users.... (not that we know how many BB users there are anymore)
    10-15-13 02:25 PM
    In my days, Video Games were called a fad for many, many years.....as it turns out, they have been far more enduring than most entertainment forms.
    Anyone who thinks that video games are a fad are decidedly delusional and ignorant regarding the state of the industry and the amount of money that video games bring into the economy. By all accounts, video games make more than DVD and music sales combined, and more than four times cinema box office takings (see Videogames now outperform Hollywood movies | Technology | The Observer and Video games bigger than film - Telegraph). And those stats were from 2009!

Halo Reach, in 2010, from Microsoft, made $200 million dollars in sales in only one day of release; a number that beats out the opening day numbers of any Hollywood blockbuster ever (see Halo: Reach Makes More Money on Day 1 Than Any Movie, Ever - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic)

Grand Theft Auto, in 2013, made $800 million dollars in 24 hours; which is more money than Fast and the Furious 6 made throughout the entire summer (see GTA V Earns More Than $800 Million In One Day - Business Insider). And, according to most observers, stands to make an additional 2 billion dollars over the course of a 1 year period with micro-transactions and additional purchases. How much money does Blackberry have in the bank again?

Pokemon X Y, in two days, sold 4 million copies of their video game. (see Pokemon X and Y Sales Figures Revealed - IGN).

How many Playbook's were sold again in 2 days?
    How many Z10's were sold again in 2 days?
    How many Z10's were sold in total?

The point? By all accounts, the video game market as a whole is doing something that Blackberry is having difficulty with - actually producing a product that people want and are going out of the way to buy. Video games are certainly not a fad; and had those individuals in charge of Blackberry years ago recognized what video games were bringing to other platforms - that is, they took off their boring ties and grey suits and got up from their rocking chairs where they sat contemplating their next move in Bridge or Chess - things might have been different. The companies that are succeeding today saw what the video game market could bring to their products - they capitalized on them. Blackberry on the other hand? All but ignored video games. And consumers have all but ignored them in return.
    10-15-13 05:34 PM
70 123