Hello,

*update: What a dork I am. Make that 18 days to go on the title.

Many have already cancelled Netflix after their tweet that they had no plans to support the Playbook. These people already got a change of tone from Netflix when they came back and said that their plans could change.

I am cancelling my Netflix account on March 15th. This gives Netflix one last chance to submit the android app (that is all we are asking for) to App World. Needless to say, it is nothing to them to do this so if they don't even care enough about our business then its goodbye.

To me this is no big deal since I don't watch it that much at all. But, I don't like how content providers are picking winners and losers. Especially when it is so easy to submit the app.

I sent a tweet on Saturday, and I called today to inform them.
    The general number is:
    1 877 742 1480
    The current (soon to be ex-) customer number is:
    1 888 811 1933

I spoke to Ashley and she told me that you can e-mail the CEO.
    Goto: about us/contact and send your comment. Here is what I sent.

Sir,
    Your organization recently tweeted that you had no plans to support the BlackBerry Playbook, despite that it has an android player and you already have an android app for it.
    Many of us would like to ask you just submit this to BlackBerry app world. They claim it takes 30 minutes.
    We hope you at least inform us of a date you will do this by March 15th or we will cancel our accounts.
    We hope you work with us.
    Regards,
    MJ

During this countdown, I wanted to share a couple of ideas for people that want to cancel but find it hard to do so.

Things you can do if you are not watchinig Netflix:
    Real World:
    Walk with your kids to the local store and buy a pop. Then sit down and ask them about their day.

Digital World:
    Go to PBSkids.org - there are tons of games and age appropriate videos for kids.

I know many on CrackBerry won't care for this and I respect your position. However, if you do care then please act on this. Contact them and tell them you will cancel on March 15th if they don't support us.

Thanks.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 02-27-12 at 12:33 PM.
    02-27-12 12:22 PM
    I cancelled my netflix account yesterday. I was on the free trial and I found that a lot of the movies that I wanted to watch were not available to watch online (which is why I joined) and the TV programs I can just watch on the respected websites of the shows. Plus, I wasn't using it all that much to begin with.

I did have in mind about no PB app, but that wasn't my main reason for my cancelling.
    02-27-12 12:37 PM
    First it is great to see a people of conviction doing something about it... As with many others a campagns like this may not bring Netfilx to the Playbook but it does show Netflix they cannot just ignore a market... Also where this may actually work is that Netflix is very sensitive about PR after their disaster last year....

Netflix was the first of the major companies users want apps from to officially anounce they will not support the Playbook..... People need to care about Netflix even if you have no use for it like myself... I emailed about the lack service for the Playbook just to show them they cannot simply ignore a platform.... The other "biggies" Skye, Amazon, etc.. will be watching...

If we make an example of Netflix who knows what may come into the pipeline....
    02-27-12 12:38 PM
    I just wonder why Netflix would not spend approximately 30 minutes to release a Netflix app for the Blackberry Playbook. Common sense tells me they could help solidify their customer base because if someone can access Netflix on their computer, tv, AND PB, then they are very unlikely to leave. Also, they would gain new customers who have a PB and are not current Netflix subscribers. There is no reason from a business point of view that they would not release one. My guess is Apple got to them first and had them sign some kind of deal to not support BB products. I hate Apple and their secretive ways of restricting content.
    02-27-12 12:43 PM
    I just wonder why Netflix would not spend approximately 30 minutes to release a Netflix app for the Blackberry Playbook...
    Bear two things in mind:

1) Netflix would very likely require more than the usual apk-bar conversion due to its system hooks for drm

2) Netflix may feel that even if it COULD quickly convert and use the Android player, that this would represent a degraded user experience (or at least an inconsistent one) from that of a native Playbook app. As a publisher, they are very much entitled to do everything they can to create a good user experience, and they're also entitled to hold back an app until they are comfortable with the experience they're providing.
    lwaysluking likes this.
    02-27-12 12:49 PM
    I'm willing to fight for BlackBerry, or really the principle of unrestricted access to content for BlackBerry but not just for the sake of fighting.

If Netflix shows me they care (and I am open to it) I will keep my account with them. If they don't then I will take action as a consumer. I will cancel on March 15th.
    02-27-12 12:51 PM
    Thunderbuck,
    All we are asking for is a date when they will support it. They just stated this weekend that they had no plans to do anything.
    There is a world of difference between "we want to provide you with a great app and we are working on getting it just right" and "we have no plans to support you".
    g7
    02-27-12 01:00 PM
    The 'We have no plans to support you' have been flying since last year. They have had more than enough time. They promised me their selection would be better a few months after I joined, but it never happened. A company either gets it, or it doesn't. Don't forget, this is the same company that tried to split their service into two and then charge more for the same crappy service. (shrug)
    02-27-12 01:04 PM
    Thunderbuck,
    All we are asking for is a date when they will support it. They just stated this weekend that they had no plans to do anything.
    There is a world of difference between "we want to provide you with a great app and we are working on getting it just right" and "we have no plans to support you".
    g7
    They're under no obligation to give us anything here. They're a business, and it's up to them to decide which platforms they'll support and when they'll do it.

Netflix' decision is based more on the number of Playbook users out there than any arbitrary "date". I don't think they're in any position to give us any such date because they don't know what it would be themselves. Now, I'd like to think that the Playbook has a different demographic that would give Netflix more subscribers than the usual device (like, say, the PS Vita or the Nintendo DS), but I have absolutely no proof of that.

Bear in mind, I'm not defending their decision; I canceled my account within 5 minutes of seeing that infamous tweet from @netflixhelps. I do think it's important that we have reasonable expectations, though. We can't expect an advance release date from Netflix any more than we could expect the date for the 2.0 drop from RIM.

Netflix will come when it comes. Simple as that.
    Shlooky likes this.
    02-27-12 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD