If this doesn't signal a sea change, I don't know what does. Even Canadian federal politicians are now being given a choice between iPhone and Blackberry -- that's an immense blow for Blackberry if there ever was one when a country's political class decides that there is no political risk in them turning their back on a homegrown product and company.

MPs will soon have choice between iPhone and BlackBerry - Politics - CBC News
    12-13-13 05:06 PM
    What is wrong with people being offered a choice?

Z10 on Telus
    12-13-13 05:33 PM
    Well, there is other side of the coin. "Corporate-Owned Smartphones Back in Vogue in Q3
    A larger share of smartphones used for business purposes were coA steady increase in corporate purchasing through the first three quarters of the year hints that enterprises are already rethinking how far BYOD (bring-your-own-device) programs will be allowed to expand, according to Strategy Analytics.rporate-owned
    By Mikael Rickn�s
    Wed, December 11, 2013
    IDG News Service (London Bureau) ? A steady increase in corporate purchasing through the first three quarters of the year hints that enterprises are already rethinking how far BYOD (bring-your-own-device) programs will be allowed to expand, according to Strategy Analytics.

Seventy-three million smartphones were purchased in the third quarter by business users directly, or by companies for their business users, representing a 34 percent increase over total business smartphone volumes a year ago, Strategy Analytics said.

That means more than 35 percent of smartphones used for business purposes were corporate-owned, compared to 32 percent in the same quarter a year ago, and 31 percent in the first quarter.

BYOD may very well be an unstoppable trend in many regions in the world, but it's not too surprising that some momentum would swing back to corporate-owned devices, according to Kevin Burden, director of mobility at Strategy Analytics. Companies are still devising usage policies, discovering its management challenges and experiencing its impact first-hand, he said.

For now it's not clear if the corporate-owned smartphone surge is the start of a growing trend or just a correction after more than a year of lopsided adoption, but what is clear is that enterprises still want full control over mobile phones and apps, according to Strategy Analytics. "

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 05:41 PM
    An managed through BES10
    FSeverino likes this.
    12-13-13 05:55 PM

Z10 on Telus
    Well, from what I've gathered we're talking work devices paid for by the government, rather than being pulled out of their paycheques. So, I can see two things wrong:

1. Taxpayers' money is going to be sent to the US now, when it could have been helping out a local company in need.
    2. A quick glance at carrier websites also shows that the iPhone 5S is significantly more expensive than any BB10 device sold today. The flagship Z30 is $49 on-contract, while the 16GB 5S is $229. If there aren't any restrictions in place as to what model they can buy, the 64GB 5S is a staggering $439.

I have nothing against the iPhone as a phone for personal use, but as a phone that I'm paying for my government representatives to use? I think I would prefer they use the option that's both cheaper and homegrown.
    12-13-13 05:56 PM

Z10 on Telus
    I see nothing wrong with being offered a choice but I would think that Canadian taxpayers, including those who work in Waterloo, will be a little disappointed that when a Canadian product is available that the Canadian Parliament doesn't favor it over a foreign one.

For example, the U.S. government has a "Fly America" policy whereby U.S. government employees -- from Senators and Congressmen/women down to the file clerk in the bureaucracy -- is compelled to fly a U.S. airline whenever one is available on the route in question. It's basically about government using tax dollars to support domestic businesses whenever doing so makes sense. In the case of Canadian politicians, I would venture to guess that given the high profile struggle BBRY has had to remain: a) relevant in the government/enterprise market; and b) a player in the hardware game, the fact that a couple of thousand government-paid devices will be "up for grabs" by Apple when it wasn't before is a little bizarre from a timing perspective.
    12-13-13 06:59 PM
    That's it. Canada does hate BBRY more than the USA.
    12-13-13 07:02 PM
    Well I feel that being a Canadian company that the government has made millions off in the past whether it be from corporate taxes or taxes on wages of the employees they should try to promote their own. What would be nice if these employees stayed loyal even with a choice. Maybe the employees themselves may have more loyalty than the ones that are so called running this great country. Just an opinion but not needing a change of devices but a change of government is long overdue

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 07:30 PM

Z10 on Telus
    How much does apple contribute to the Canadian economy? How many high tech jobs do they have here? How many schools do they directly funnel cash too(admittedly this would have been cut in the last few years)?

I don't care if an individual chooses the iPhone they have a right too, however as our elected officials, using our tax money, they should be pushing for a buy Canada policy. Especially at a time when that company needs the local support.

Also it shouldn't be limited to them, but every agency that receives funding from them should be pushed in this direction as well.

Posted via CB10
    web99, scrapmetal58 and Mr.mister like this.
    12-14-13 07:53 PM

Z10 on Telus
    The politicians sure don't give us any choice about a multitude of things affecting our daily life.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 08:51 PM
    How much does apple contribute to the Canadian economy? How many high tech jobs do they have here? How many schools do they directly funnel cash too(admittedly this would have been cut in the last few years)?
    At a certain point, one has to assess how much of a sacrifice they are willing to make to choose an inferior domestic product as opposed to a superior foreign product.

The Canadian government has stood behind Blackberry for this long even when most of the world have turned. It can't bear the risk of Blackberry going under with all figure heads holding Blackberry devices. Blackberry fans should be grateful for the duration of their support.

It's important to note that Blackberry isn't as pro-Canada as people on this board make it out to be, anyway. (And Apple isn't that pro-United States.) Many of the big dollars (manufacturing) is all done in China.
    leafs123 likes this.
    12-14-13 09:14 PM
    As a Canadian, I am tired of these protectionism ideals and crap. The government, just like many other Canadian corporations, has the choice to use whatever products they want.
    12-14-13 10:31 PM
    At a certain point, one has to assess how much of a sacrifice they are willing to make to choose an inferior domestic product as opposed to a superior foreign product.

The Canadian government has stood behind Blackberry for this long even when most of the world have turned. It can't bear the risk of Blackberry going under with all figure heads holding Blackberry devices. Blackberry fans should be grateful for the duration of their support.

It's important to note that Blackberry isn't as pro-Canada as people on this board make it out to be, anyway. (And Apple isn't that pro-United States.) Many of the big dollars (manufacturing) is all done in China.
    "inferior domestic product"...really? Any government issued iPhone are will still be managed by BES10. Canadian taxpayers should not have to pay for expensive iPhones. BB10 is more advanced than iOS...period.

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 and Mr.mister like this.
    12-14-13 10:36 PM
    As a Canadian, I am tired of these protectionism ideals and crap. The government, just like many other Canadian corporations, has the choice to use whatever products they want.
    Unlike "many other Canadian corporations", this one is funded by the citizens of the country. If it was private money, I couldn't care less. But the money paying for these phones includes tax money paid by BlackBerry, BlackBerry employees, and citizens of Waterloo. So why let this money go to the US when these politicians could go about their jobs ever bit as effectively with a BlackBerry, especially when the American option is more expensive?
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    12-14-13 10:39 PM
    I think this is utter bull. The government should be supporting a Canadian company. We all know most people will end up choosing the iPhone because they are more popular. BlackBerry 10 is not an inferior product in the least. Yes, it's great that BES10 will secure them, but it'd be much better for BlackBerry if they got both the server and phone revenue.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 02:44 AM
    Oh man... that's BUNK!
    The fact that they would both be offered means they can both do the job required for these people. So... fact is for core communications the BB10 wins hands down. That's what matters, and it does that job better for less money, and helps our economy. For what there people do for us, the BB10 is the best choice.
    12-15-13 02:54 AM
    We all know most people will end up choosing the iPhone because they are more popular. BlackBerry 10 is not an inferior product in the least.
    Many of these politicians were probably already using BB10 devices prior to the end of this exclusivity. Blackberry is the incumbent with a huge advantage. The user is already accustomed to all things Blackberry and could know less about the iPhone. This is one of the rare instances that a decision made by the user should be regarded as well informed and biased toward Blackberry.

If despite using Blackberry as their daily driver for all this time the user still prefers iPhone, who are you to tell them that Blackberry is better suited for the individual? And if you're willing to admit the iPhone happens to be the preferred choice for the majority of individuals, then it's simply the better phone for the average person.

This is one of the rare instances where fans can't just scapegoat marketing. Why does judging Blackberry based on merit make fans so jittery? If it is the best OS on the market, Blackberry will speak for itself.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 12-15-13 at 05:21 AM.
    12-15-13 05:10 AM
    It BBRY's own fault, they are the ones letting this slip away. If they don't push their devices and work constantly to improve them all the time then of course people/corporations are going to look else where.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 08:52 AM

For their uses, please point out in what way the BlackBerry product is inferior to the iPhone?

In communications? Nope.

In value? Nope, it's considerably cheaper in fact to go with BlackBerry hardware.

Battery life? Nope both the iPhone and Z10 are bad. The Q10 and the Z30 is considerably better than both.

Security? Should I even bring it up?

So please, please tell me for their uses how the BlackBerry 10 product is inferior as you put it. Granted the option I am cool with, as a backup only should BlackBerry go under.

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip likes this.
    12-15-13 04:58 PM
    For private companies and individuals I totally agree and have defended that on here before but when the government who takes money from that struggling company and its employees is footing the bill that to me is different.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 05:00 PM
    Many of these politicians were probably already using BB10 devices prior to the end of this exclusivity. Blackberry is the incumbent with a huge advantage. The user is already accustomed to all things Blackberry and could know less about the iPhone. This is one of the rare instances that a decision made by the user should be regarded as well informed and biased toward Blackberry.

If despite using Blackberry as their daily driver for all this time the user still prefers iPhone, who are you to tell them that Blackberry is better suited for the individual? And if you're willing to admit the iPhone happens to be the preferred choice for the majority of individuals, then it's simply the better phone for the average person.

This is one of the rare instances where fans can't just scapegoat marketing. Why does judging Blackberry based on merit make fans so jittery? If it is the best OS on the market, Blackberry will speak for itself.
    The iPhone isnt the most secure, or suitable for business. The iPhone is popular because of excellent marketing and because people think it's cool. People have been accustomed to BlackBerry before and still follow the masses. I succumbed to their marketing and followed the masses before when I had iPhones. The iPhone is a waste of taxpayer money, when there is a cheaper and, imo, better alternative. Germany, for example, have decided to make the switch away from the iPhone due to security concerns. Like others have pointed out, our government should be supporting a Canadian company, especially considering it is not an inferior product.

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip likes this.
    12-15-13 09:18 PM
    I'm disappointed in the fact that the Canadian government shows such unwillingness to support their own but I can't help but think this is an alternative strategy in case the worst happens and there aren't Canadian made BlackBerrys to use anymore.

As for comparing devices, I don't know if some people who aren't in Fed govt towns realize how much the government locks down devices. All the bells and whistles about iPhone advantages go away pretty quickly when you realize the government locks everything off the device but email, phone and contacts. No messaging, browsing, apps, bluetooth. etc.

Trust me, both iPhones and BlackBerrys (old and new) are heavily neutered to far less than their capabilities when managed by the feds.
    12-16-13 05:04 PM
    I get the manufacturing side of it, but it's not like the thousands upon thousands people who sit in Waterloo or Cupertino are all "order entry clerks". The manufacturing may be done elsewhere, but the R&D, sales, marketing, logistics etc is not. BlackBerry employs thousands upon thousands upon thousands of Canadians across Canada.
    12-16-13 05:08 PM
    I get the manufacturing side of it, but it's not like the thousands upon thousands people who sit in Waterloo or Cupertino are all "order entry clerks". The manufacturing may be done elsewhere, but the R&D, sales, marketing, logistics etc is not. BlackBerry employs thousands upon thousands upon thousands of Canadians across Canada.
    Lol who are you kidding? They don't have marketing in Waterloo!

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 08:03 AM
    Lol who are you kidding? They don't have marketing in Waterloo!

Posted via CB10
    You may not personally like it, but don't be silly

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 07:06 PM
26 12