Last week it was revealed that the Canadian government was planning to allow MPs and their staff to choose iPhones to conduct their government business as opposed to the BlackBerry-only mobile strategy that was in place before (MPs will soon have choice between iPhone and BlackBerry - Politics - CBC News). This is outrageous for the following reasons:

1. BlackBerry is a Canadian company that employs thousands of its employees in Canada, contributes billions to the country through taxes and investment and the majority of its shareholders are Canadian citizens and taxpayers.
    2. BlackBerry is a Canadian company and part of the role of Members of Parliament is to represent their country and its industries overseas. This should include using Canadian products wherever and whenever prudent to do so.
    3. The Canadian Government owes a special "duty of care" to BlackBerry as its survival is important to the national security of the country and her allies. This is especially evident as the Canadian government turned down takeover overtures from Chinese-owed Lenovo. If you are not going to let foreign entities invest in the company you have a duty to support the company yourself.
    4. There is no practical or logical reason for having the Canadian government purchasing iPhones for MPs and their staff. BlackBerry10 devices are fully capable and efficient of carry out the business of the government. If an MP wants to FaceTime his girlfriend or play Temple Run during committee hearings he is perfectly capable of using some of his $100K+ salary to purchase an iPhone for his own personal use.
    5. SECURITY!!! Not only is their no logical reason to purchase iPhones for MPs and their staff, it is actually a disaster! BlackBerries running on BES can claim to have the Gold Standard in security as it integrates server, software and hardware encryption. It is the full-service turn key solution employed by other governments, major banks and the defence industry. It is the only phone the President of the United States is allowed to use. With details of military procurement and trade deal negotiations being discussed by MPs, why are we risking exposing these discussions to the massive NSA surveillance or Chinese espionage activities just so an MP can have the trendiest phone at the local high school?
    6. $$$. Deploying more than one type of operating system will be more expensive and less efficient - period. It requires additional tech support from staff and will be more difficult to transfer and sync information across devices. That is why the largest corporations always go with one supplier for computers, phones etc. Additionally, iPhones will likely cost the government in the neighborhood of twice as much as the BlackBerry equivalent Z10 to purchase. This amounts to a huge waste of taxpayers money and a moral indignation that should outrage all Canadians!

What can you do about it? First, send a quick email to your MP letting them know how upset this makes you. A list of MPs and their contact info can be found here: Find your Member of Parliament using your Postal Code

Send an email to John Duncan - Government whip and a spokesman for internal economy board that made the decision: PARLINFO - Parliamentarian File - Contact Information - DUNCAN, The Hon. John , P.C., B.Sc.F.

Send an email to Prime Minister Harper: PARLINFO - Parliamentarian File - Contact Information - HARPER, The Right Hon. Stephen, P.C., B.A., M.A.

and the Leader of the Opposition: PARLINFO - Parliamentarian File - Contact Information - MULCAIR, The Hon. Thomas J., P.C., B.C.L, LL.B.

and the Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada: PARLINFO - Parliamentarian File - Contact Information - TRUDEAU, Justin, B.A., B.Ed.

Thank you very much CrackBerry community! Just like we pressured Rogers to reverse the Z30 decision, lets win this battle as well.
    Last edited by Gunner24; 12-19-13 at 03:43 PM.
    12-18-13 02:51 PM
    Why? There are so many people who are forced to use the BlackBerry brand for work who are just iOS/Android people, if you keep forcing BB to people who don't want it, they'll just sully the brand.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 02:56 PM
    Why? There are so many people who are forced to use the BlackBerry brand for work who are just iOS/Android people, if you keep forcing BB to people who don't want it, they'll just sully the brand.

Posted via CB10
    Well as you can see, Gunner24 is not only a former RIM co-op but is also a long time BB enthusiast. These kinds of people tend to want a BB controlled world, rather than just see the company report some actual quarterly earnings.
    My own opinion on this, BYOD is a great idea as it will still be backed by BES. The battle between hardware and software reminds me of a company I used to work for that had a profitable side of the business and then a money suck side. For BB, the device side of the business is the suck. They are making no ground in the market and appear to be losing more and more. Go software as primary with enterprise hardware and then BB will return to profit.
    12-18-13 03:02 PM
    Posted via CB10
    You obviously didn't read through the 6 reasons listed... Read the original post before commenting.
    12-18-13 03:02 PM
    My own opinion on this, BYOD is a great idea as it will still be backed by BES.
    Lol really? Wake up if you're going to comment. This isn't BYOD. They'll be supplied with iPhones.
    Gunner24 and igor10000 like this.
    12-18-13 03:14 PM

Do you think that if we sent Chen a few emails listing all of the BONEHEADED decisions that BlackBerry has made in just the last year... that maybe it would help him to improve the products and services so that business and governments didn't NEED to look elsewhere?
    M65c02, aniym and techvisor like this.
    12-18-13 03:29 PM
    Look, if the government is buying these phones, they need to be effective and value for money. Politically it will also always look better to buy Canadian. I see no reason not to continue deploying BlackBerry to Canadian government workers, iPhones are more expensive and I have yet to see proof that they would be more effective for this specific use case.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    12-18-13 03:37 PM
    Sigh ... where is Rob Ford to stop the "gravy train"? Spending taxpayers money to purchase iPhones doesn't seem to be the prudent thing to do. I see where the OP is coming from. I don't know if you are going to get the traction you are looking for though. What may make this easier though, if you have time, is to draft up a nice email that can be copied and pasted to each of the individuals you named.

Just my thoughts.
    12-18-13 03:49 PM
    I'd rather they use a cheaper Android device. This way it won't cost more for taxpayers as it would if they bought BB10 devices, and at the same time the government employee can be more productive.

Best of both worlds.
    12-18-13 03:55 PM
    I work for Canada Post I'm forced to use BlackBerry and u know what I love it !!! Lmao.

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip likes this.
    12-18-13 03:58 PM
    You obviously didn't read through the 6 reasons listed... Read the original post before commenting.
    Reasons 1-3 are moot, just because BlackBerry is Canadian that doesn't justify barring the use of other phones.

Reason 4 is silly, rather than pinning inefficiency on their phones why not to actual work they do.

The security is really his only sensible argument. Everything else makes him sound bitter. I'm a BlackBerry guy, but mandating it's use isn't going to win back the brands image.

Posted via CB10
    bp3dots, milo53, M65c02 and 7 others like this.
    12-18-13 03:59 PM
    I'd rather they use a cheaper Android device. This way it won't cost more for taxpayers as it would if they bought BB10 devices, and at the same time the government employee can be more productive.

Best of both worlds.
    There are too many security concerns around Android for that to happen (though we can probably debate around whether or not those concerns are valid, but that's besides the point). Having said that, they probably buy these phones on contract, so they can get a Q5 or Q10 for $0.

Posted via CB10
    truth, when someone doesn't want somethign and are forced onto something they will pick faults with the smallest issues or even make things up by staying closed minded. as long as BES is employed there will be a service revenue that will last alot longer then the price of a device, its not about marketshare its about profitability and BES service revenues have a larger margine then hardware
    techvisor and cwalt2166 like this.
    Just wait until people realize that the Chinese have reverse-engineered the backdoors the NSA has installed into iOS. The government will switch back in a hurry.
    12-18-13 04:36 PM
    Bingo security, security, security. This was a big part of Nortels problem now we are going to make it a federal problem.
    12-18-13 05:16 PM
    Emails sent Gunner
    R Field, Gunner24, phylez and 1 others like this.
    12-18-13 05:57 PM
    As a Canadian tax payer my expectation for mobile devices for MP and staff use, is that I want it to be the most secure and cost effective solution.

Using only BlackBerry phones meets both areas: secure and has numerous hidden benefits of supporting a Canadian (and a Canadian based) company including price.

I will be contacting my MP and let him know what phones I feel the government should be using.

Posted via CB10 1.4.3 on Z10 10.2.0.429 on the Rogers Network
    12-18-13 06:37 PM
    Well as you can see, Gunner24 is not only a former RIM co-op but is also a long time BB enthusiast. These kinds of people tend to want a BB controlled world, rather than just see the company report some actual quarterly earnings.
    My own opinion on this, BYOD is a great idea as it will still be backed by BES. The battle between hardware and software reminds me of a company I used to work for that had a profitable side of the business and then a money suck side. For BB, the device side of the business is the suck. They are making no ground in the market and appear to be losing more and more. Go software as primary with enterprise hardware and then BB will return to profit.
    While I agree with your stance in a public or private company and for private individuals, this is the federal government that has involved themselves in the situation of BlackBerry.

This is a government that receives serious amounts of money from that company. A company that supports schools, and employees in high tech, high paying positions within this country. Additionally, those employees also pay their income taxes to this government. That government is therefore indebted to these people more so than they are to Apple.

Additionally, at a time when government is talking about trying to find way to save money and bring their budgets in line its highly hypocritical for them to go shopping for one of the most expensive lines of phone hardware when the local competition which is almost have the price for a comparable unit is readily available to them.

Furthermore, they will be using the BES servers I believe, so this is not a question of a backup for BlackBerry folding this is just them trying to get something they think would be cool even though it doesn't help them with productivity.

Which brings me to my final point, the iPhone will not allow them to do anything more than the comparable BlackBerry product will because it will be locked down just like the BlackBerry would be. In fact in terms of communications, the BlackBerry is recognized as the stronger of the two and would likely be a better fit for them anyway.

So don't go on without accusing people of bias when in fact for once the BBRY faithful are correct. Its a waste of money, takes away revenue from a local company and does nothing to help its stakeholders(who are largely Canadian citizens) continue on with their lives.
    12-18-13 07:01 PM
    BoldPreza, that was very well said. Summed up my feelings exactly.

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    12-18-13 07:18 PM
    I'd be curious to know if anyone gets an actual response from their MP or other representatives. I've requested a response, but not sure I will get one (outside of the automated response that tells you how busy they are and are bombarded with email and will try to get back to you).
    12-18-13 07:23 PM
    I think giving people a choice is great. We all know that they can have all the choices in the world but in the end to meet security requirements they will require a BlackBerry. It's almost like reverse psychology.

One of the things I recall from a few years ago when BlackBerry was on the bubble was that the corporate suits MADE employees use a BlackBerry, no choice, a clear directive... this soured people and it still sours them to this day.

Without choices it becomes a dictatorship and we know how chapter one played out...

Posted via CB10
    techvisor and CDM76 like this.
    12-18-13 07:37 PM
    I think giving people a choice is great. We all know that they can have all the choices in the world but in the end to meet security requirements they will require a BlackBerry. It's almost like reverse psychology.

One of the things I recall from a few years ago when BlackBerry was on the bubble was that the corporate suits MADE employees use a BlackBerry, no choice, a clear directive... this soured people and it still sours them to this day.

Without choices it becomes a dictatorship and we know how chapter one played out...

Posted via CB10
    Well if you follow Harper politics, he basically is a dictator, so why break from that tradition now,
    12-18-13 07:49 PM
    Lol really? Wake up if you're going to comment. This isn't BYOD. They'll be supplied with iPhones.
    They'll have a choice to use iPhones. As far as I recall, BYOD is backed by the person's opinion. So what if it doesn't include Android and WP8, if the user has a choice of platforms even if it's just two is still encompassing with BYOD.
    Maybe you don't see it the same way as me, but I'm pretty positive I'm awake.
    12-18-13 07:59 PM
    Email sent:

Good day Mr. Prime Minister and Gentlemen,

I am writing you about a news article which I recently read on CBC.ca regarding MPs given the choice between a BlackBerry 10 device or an Apple iPhone device. You can read the article at this web link:

MPs will soon have choice between iPhone and BlackBerry - Politics - CBC News

I am absolutely astonished that the Canadian Government is moving in this direction. The BlackBerry is and has been an icon of Canadian innovation for many years, as well the Queen herself has a personalized BlackBerry which was given to her in a recent visit. While it is quite obvious that the company has fallen on “hard times” and that its support base has been eaten away at; I believe that if any organization is to back and support this company that it should be the Government. The BlackBerry is still the leader in mobile security both with its devices and its background servers through the Mobile Device Management (MDM) system known as Mobile Fusion. With the ongoing issues with wireless security, espionage and access to information the BlackBerry is the clear solution for the Government’s needs.

Frankly, I understand that you all are incredibly busy men and did not make this decision based on your own research and judgement; however, based on the recommendation of a staffer within the organization. As a long-time BlackBerry owner and a user of BlackBerry 10 since its launch in Canada allow me to explain some of the features and why I believe they are important to all Canadians:

1) BlackBerry brand. The fact that the device is a BlackBerry is important to Canadians. We are loosing too many innovative companies to larger corporations around the world. Outsourcing to cheaper areas of the world continues to eat away at Canadian jobs and these lost jobs or corporations are not being replaced as quickly as they should. Canadians want to see the Canadian Government supporting Canadian businesses. Allowing MPs to use a device not from Canada and not supporting a Canadian company tells Canadians one thing: The Government does not support its people, a statement which will result in one reaction, a loss of voter support.

2) Security. As stated, security is a significant concern. It is well-known that Canada is targeted daily by cyber-terrorism, attacks and spies. Why should the government settle for a device which is less secure in this day and age? The answer is that it should not. Even the President of the United States has publicly stated that he cannot use an iPhone because it is not secure enough. Then why should our government settle for any less? That answer is that it should not.

3) Work life balance. The BlackBerry Balance feature simply-put allows a user to “divide” their phone into two phones: Work and Personal. Both run completely independent and information cannot cross from one to the other if the settings are set that way. This will allow for the security, accountability and productivity which Government life and the public demands. Meanwhile, the personal side of the device will allow the MP to enjoy their personal life through installing apps, replying to personal emails or browsing web pages. All of this in a complete secure environment without mixing the two. Simply put, the iPhone has no ability to do this.

While these are just a few of the options which are available there are plenty more but I wish to keep this email reasonably length. However, there is one more important feature which a BlackBerry has over the iPhone and that is the ability to pay for your favourite Tim Horton’s coffee. I encourage you to reconsider this decision seriously. I will be watching to see if this plan in fact does go ahead and I will remember it at the next election. As a Canadian taxpayer and voter I do not want to see the government settle for a less device in the terms of productivity and security, I want to see the government with the best. In fact, I believe the right message to Canadians would be to announce that all Federal departments were moving forward and deploying BlackBerry 10 devices and servers immediately. This will tell Canadians that the Government cares about its security, Canadian jobs and Canadian business.

I thank you for your time.
    12-18-13 08:00 PM
    While I agree with your stance in a public or private company and for private individuals, this is the federal government that has involved themselves in the situation of BlackBerry.

This is a government that receives serious amounts of money from that company. A company that supports schools, and employees in high tech, high paying positions within this country. Additionally, those employees also pay their income taxes to this government. That government is therefore indebted to these people more so than they are to Apple.

Additionally, at a time when government is talking about trying to find way to save money and bring their budgets in line its highly hypocritical for them to go shopping for one of the most expensive lines of phone hardware when the local competition which is almost have the price for a comparable unit is readily available to them.

Furthermore, they will be using the BES servers I believe, so this is not a question of a backup for BlackBerry folding this is just them trying to get something they think would be cool even though it doesn't help them with productivity.

Which brings me to my final point, the iPhone will not allow them to do anything more than the comparable BlackBerry product will because it will be locked down just like the BlackBerry would be. In fact in terms of communications, the BlackBerry is recognized as the stronger of the two and would likely be a better fit for them anyway.

So don't go on without accusing people of bias when in fact for once the BBRY faithful are correct. Its a waste of money, takes away revenue from a local company and does nothing to help its stakeholders(who are largely Canadian citizens) continue on with their lives.
    I'm sorry but you clearly don't understand the way many people's minds work. If you force someone to use something, they're going to be less likely to be inclined to like it in the future. For phones, almost everyone has a phone based on how they want to be viewed. So as I'm aware that BES will lock down an iPhone just as much as a BB, the fact many people do not even want to be seen with a Blackberry will not be helped by the forcing of people's hands into using one. Give the people an option.
    Who knows, maybe they stick with an iPhone for the future, or maybe they see BB10 in the hands of a willing and competent worker and are impressed by the platform. Which goes back to my original statement about laying low in the handset market for Blackberry. Focus on maybe a single device and make it really good with software systems being the major money maker.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    12-18-13 08:05 PM
158 123 ...