Canada wants RIM organic growth, may have to review handset sale

Thomson Reuters

Canada wants RIM organic growth, may have to review handset sale
    OTTAWA, Jan 22 (Reuters) - The Canadian government wants BlackBerry maker Research in Motion to continue to be a global leader and grow organically, and Ottawa may have to review a future sale of its handset business, Industry Minister Christian Paradis said on Tuesday.

"We hope to see RIM remain a global leader and player, and make sure it grows organically," Paradis told Reuters by phone from Germany, where he is meeting with industrial leaders.
    Canada wants RIM organic growth, may have to review handset sale | Business | Reuters
    kozmo68, zyben and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-22-13 08:14 AM
    So that means no pesticides or herbicides or chemical fertilizers, right?
    zyben, kozmo68 and andrewmcwhirter like this.
    01-22-13 08:41 AM
    So that means no pesticides or herbicides or chemical fertilizers, right?
    Organically grown Blackberry's are the best.
    matthewgreyling likes this.
    01-22-13 08:52 AM
    Organically grown Blackberry's are the best.
    I prefer GM BlackBerrys. Super-mutant phones.
    01-22-13 09:05 AM
    Don't you love how governments feel they know better than private enterprise
    01-22-13 09:13 AM
    Don't you love how governments feel they know better than private enterprise
    Ya the last thing I want is the government assuming they know more than RIMs executive team. Let them do there **** ..
    01-22-13 09:22 AM
    Will I have to buy my BB10 device at Whole Foods Market?
    01-22-13 09:42 AM
    This could mean that RIM could be subsidized by the Canadian government (funded).
    01-22-13 09:49 AM
    Many are looking at this as a negative.... Not me... It's nice to see the Canadian government behind one of this country's large and great companies. We have a history of poor monetization of technology developed here and seeing support from the top, in my eyes at least, is a good thing.
    01-22-13 09:50 AM
    Ideally at the end of the day, the whole system, govt and corporations should work for the benefit of society. But all systems / organizations get off track, so that eventually you have govts (like the US) rewarding companies with tax breaks to relocate over seas, and other perverse incentives. Modern corporations want profit at any cost or amount of harm, so I think someone needs to play a watchdog role for society, and if you are lucky enough to have a govt that isn't totally corporate owned, good for you.
    01-22-13 10:22 AM
    Many are looking at this as a negative.... Not me... It's nice to see the Canadian government behind one of this country's large and great companies. We have a history of poor monetization of technology developed here and seeing support from the top, in my eyes at least, is a good thing.
    Sorry I have to disagree. Should RIM have gone bankrupt without releasing BB10 last year, the politicians will be singing a different tune. They love to ally themselves with successful companies to fatten up their resumes for the next election or future executive positions when they retire from politics.
    bb10_fan likes this.
    01-22-13 10:24 AM
    How happy will Ottawa be when RIM has to offshore manufacturing to China to compete with Sammy?
    01-22-13 10:30 AM
    How happy will Ottawa be when RIM has to offshore manufacturing to China to compete with Sammy?
    Manufacturing is largely offshore anyway. But the value accrues back to Canada, not least in terms of the business taxes that are paid there. Costs for China based manufacturing are rising quickly, it's not such a given as it was. Which is the way it has always worked.
    01-22-13 10:35 AM
    The US Government will not be amused although the decision by some US federal agencies and departments to play in the Android sandbox suggests much anti-China sentiment by any western government is rhetoric to appease the bread-eating populace.
    01-22-13 10:37 AM
    Sorry I have to disagree. Should RIM have gone bankrupt without releasing BB10 last year, the politicians will be singing a different tune. They love to ally themselves with successful companies to fatten up their resumes for the next election or future executive positions when they retire from politics.
    The recent sale of an oil company to the Chinese Government via a proxy company will come to bite Canada in the posterior. It is ironic Canada wants to sell more oil to China yet insists Canadians choose "green energy" and pay a premium through taxation for the privilege of protecting the profits of the oil industry...ahem, I meant the environment.
    01-22-13 10:41 AM
    more non news.
    the sale of the hardware division was bought up as a possibility. not a definite.
    must be a slow news day

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    thedark722 likes this.
    01-22-13 11:10 AM
    The sale of the hardware division was in response to a direct question about what would happen if bb10 wasn't a success, it is just that some of the media like to focus on the negative even after all the hard work from rim in getting bb10 ready to launch and realistically even if they do not expect it to happen rim would obviously have considered all their options going forward.
    thedark722 likes this.
    01-22-13 11:15 AM
    On March 30th 2012, Jim Flaherty says "they will be the masters of their own destiny."
    RIM sale would not be blocked by Ottawa - Business - CBC News

I understand government is supposed to be anti-competitive, however it looks like their tune has changed as is the current market perception with RIM, thankfully. I hope new BES and BB10 fulfill their needs most appropriately and they can put their money behind their support.
    01-22-13 11:32 AM
    The sale of the hardware division was in response to a direct question about what would happen if bb10 wasn't a success, it is just that some of the media like to focus on the negative even after all the hard work from rim in getting bb10 ready to launch and realistically even if they do not expect it to happen rim would obviously have considered all their options going forward.
    Agreed, but Thor didn't say anything different than what he said before we even saw anything of BB10. When they first brought in the external advisors to review their "business options", Thor was pretty much singing the same song, nothing was off the table: Licensing bb10, selling the hardware side, etc, etc. Just by holding the same line he did back before the slightest inkling that BB10 would be as well received as it has been, he made it a non statement, responding to the question without really saying anything. It was the commentary equivalent of saying "we'll see what happens after the launch".
    01-22-13 12:05 PM
    Agreed, but Thor didn't say anything different than what he said before we even saw anything of BB10. When they first brought in the external advisors to review their "business options", Thor was pretty much singing the same song, nothing was off the table: Licensing bb10, selling the hardware side, etc, etc. Just by holding the same line he did back before the slightest inkling that BB10 would be as well received as it has been, he made it a non statement, responding to the question without really saying anything. It was the commentary equivalent of saying "we'll see what happens after the launch".
    and rightly so
    BB10 needs to prove itself in the market still.
    until then the situation is pretty much the same. the positive noise we've had up to now will be meaningless if the units do not sell
    01-22-13 01:07 PM
    Will I have to buy my BB10 device at Whole Foods Market?
    That's place is such a rip off you wouldn't believe. My company has done the electrical work in all the whole foods markets here in Ontario and the latest two are not making the profits they are expecting why are pretty dead. Their prices over loblaws(which we also do alot of work for) is ridiculous even over highland farms and metro and longish is not worth it when they have the same stupid food dry goods and canned foods as well as organic produce and meats.

Whole foods now has to rethink all their stores plans
    01-22-13 01:36 PM
    The recent sale of an oil company to the Chinese Government via a proxy company will come to bite Canada in the posterior. It is ironic Canada wants to sell more oil to China yet insists Canadians choose "green energy" and pay a premium through taxation for the privilege of protecting the profits of the oil industry...ahem, I meant the environment.
    The feed in tariffs that the electrical provider offers IPPs (independent power producers) is generous in Ontario; and yes they are paid through taxes.

I expect Canadian politicians will let RIM do its thing > until someone big comes along that wants to buy them. There is a lot of good technology there but its the jobs that are important really.
    01-22-13 02:45 PM