Hi there

This is my very first post in Crackberry.com and I am really hopeful that all the guys of this forum will help me to learn and the master the BB Bold that I am going to buy in next couple of days / weeks and also it will be my very first BB.

Tell you the truth I am very new to GPS, satellite navigation, geotagging, geocaching and tracking stuff so dont know how to do all that and which apps are really good with and without Voice Guided Navigation.

I am moving to Canada from a tiny country of Asia so it will be really cool if I can have a GPS enabled phone that can always keep me on right track.

Can you gus suggest few very good GPS apps for Bold for Canada?

For voice guided navigation do I really need to have the Blackberry internet plan activated on my Bold?

Is there a way to have the voice guided navigation without the BB internet thing (BIS or BES, whatever it is called)?

May sound silly but is Bold GPS (without voice) any good?

Also can I use the GPS without having any SIM or Network connection on Bold?
    Last edited by SMSabir; 04-14-09 at 12:24 AM.
    04-14-09 12:21 AM
    I believe that all of the voice navigation systems require data at some point to get your location, send it for the route calculation or maps. I think one of them might be able to continue showing the route you were intended to take after the initial fix but if you go off-course, it will not be able to correct the route and recalculate.

There are other gps programs like gps-logger (currently offline by programmer) that does NOT need data but can trace your route and show it afterward. Trekbuddy and MobileGmaps (not google) can show your location on maps that you download to your computer and copy to an SD card but you need to create the maps in advance.

Googlemaps and BBmaps can create routes using data but do not do voice, only written directions or arrows.

Data makes all of these more current. I don't know the data plans in Canada or the Bold
    04-14-09 12:33 AM
    Personally, I use Telenav but it's a paid option $9.99/mnth on Rogers, but their are lots of free alternatives available as well, But I have not found any as reliable as telenav.

If voice is not a "MUST have" their are plenty of free apps for that as well they all work fine. I'll leave it to others to make suggestions but google maps would be my choice if telenav was not needed, maybe map quest mobile as well.

And yes, data plan is needed for GPS unless you have a application that stores GPS maps on your SD Card and off the top, I cannot think of any that I would rely on for that.
    04-14-09 12:38 AM
    I use Nav4All on my Bold. It's pretty basic GUI-wise, but it does the trick. It does require a data plan, because as far as I know it can't use WiFi, but really if you're on the road, what good would WiFi support do you anyhow?

Anyways, it's free from here:

www*nav4all*com/install (replace * with .)

Navigate to that link on your mobile browser.

Hope this helps... I tried a couple different ones, and in terms of free apps, this was by far the best.

-Biggie!
    04-15-09 12:27 AM
    Hi again

I really appreciate the replies of F2, BLA1ZE and BigYellow because I feel and believe that all replies were very informative for a newbie like me so for that thanks.

Before posting my questions I was torned between Garmin and TeleNav because those are the two most common aps mentioned on various forums though now I am more tempted to use the free aps for a trial though I am sure that the mentioned two are the best but still no harm. Also in Canada I wont be having any computer for first few weeks or months so my BB Bold will be my mini laptop as well as GPS device so want to settle for something suitable.

Thanks ok.
    04-15-09 01:09 PM
    I found this free, entry level in-car system but I am not sure that it is fully Blackberry compatible. Perhaps in the next release .

04-15-09 01:14 PM
    Does it do route up or north up? I can see taking that globe for a spin....
    04-15-09 01:58 PM
    Does it do route up or north up? I can see taking that globe for a spin....
    It seems to be fitted in a Skoda so maybe it never goes anywhere.
    04-15-09 02:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD