Posted in the BBRY thread, but thought some of you may have missed this...

Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) Q1 Earnings Preview from Canaccord

With the Z10 launching in additional markets the last weeks of February, they have increased their February quarter BB10 smartphone sell in estimate from 300K to 800K units.
    a1s2d3f4g5, Dapper37 and richardat like this.
    03-04-13 03:00 AM
    It was widely reported when Canaccord decreased their estimates down to 300,000 a few weeks ago. But now when Canaccord increases, none of this is reported.
    03-04-13 03:12 AM
    We will see, that article was just released. I'd give it a day or two to see if it starts circulating.
    03-04-13 03:26 AM
    Wow. Nice backtracking.

This solidifies my belief that analysts are just like weathermen.....sometimes they get it right, usually only after the fact....and only if they are happen to be looking outside.
    03-04-13 04:39 AM
    This guy should be thrown in jail for attempted market manipulation! Unbelievable fail!
    03-04-13 04:56 AM
    Bunch of twits.
    THBW and willhugforlove like this.
    03-04-13 04:57 AM
    Let's not forget all the @Forbes articles that came off the back of that! This is criminal, or it should be!
    THBW, Shanerredflag, zyben and 1 others like this.
    03-04-13 05:07 AM
    Could it be Canaccord has covered their shorts and is now going long ......?
    JR A likes this.
    03-04-13 05:13 AM
    Could it be Canaccord has covered their shorts and is now going long ......?
    Something like that, yep! I didn't believe them at 300k I don't now either!
    03-04-13 05:31 AM
    I guess if we see Forbes and some of the usual suspects from SA changing their tune, then we know the shorting is over .....
    THBW likes this.
    03-04-13 05:42 AM
    I told people on here 300k was idioticly low... Need more cash to buy more stock.... D:
    03-04-13 06:14 AM
    Bunch of twits.
    Well this is what happens when you are dealing with a mid grade analyst from a junior wealth management outfit in Canada. Their initial value was ridiculously low based on the number of launch countries, the number of carriers and outlets, and the overall reception. And these facts weren't exactly hidden as they were discussed consistently on forum boards. Either the analyst is truly stupid or there was some attempt at short term stock manipulation. Canaccord has had the knuckles rapped in the past for pulling this sort of nonsense.

Personally, I felt the minimum was 500 K and a more reasonable number was 750 K. One million would be hard to hit given timing and the staged nature of the launch. But who knows as the corporate orders are a bit of a wild card at the moment. Looking forward to March 28th.
    03-04-13 07:03 AM
    Remember, kiddies, you can't spell analyst with out.....................Oh, never mind. You get the idea.
    peter9477, THBW, spike12 and 6 others like this.
    03-04-13 07:14 AM
    Un-be-liev-able.

Well, actually, it is. When Canaccord's initial 'estimate' came out, I, and most others, took out their calculator, crunched some numbers, and realized this moron was off by at least 100% and likely twice that amount. Anyone visiting Crackberry on a semi-regular basis, or any Canadian or Brit that performed a modecum of real-life in-store 'checks', realized this buffoon was off by triple digit percentages. Of course, the original 300k numbers was used as 'evidence' to spawn dozens of stories implicating the Z10 launch was a failure.

How can this guy still have a job? No reasonable institutional investor would have been swayed by the lies, however, there are likely many 'ma and pa' investors that dropped BBRY like a hot potato and ran away screaming.

The good? I bought more shares on the dip. The bad? The crediblity of Wall Street takes another hit, and those that say that everything is highly manipulated by the 'big boys' for the 'big boys' is, sadly, correct.....again.
    03-04-13 07:19 AM
    Someone should file a formal complaint with the regulatory oversight body responsible for this company. Might be the investment dealers association of Canada, not sure. Either they are incompetent and pose a risk to the average investor who reads their public announcements, or more likely they are deliberately spreading information they know to be false in order to manipulate the market for the benefit of themselves and their clients. Either way they need to be stopped.
    03-04-13 08:09 AM
    Wow. Nice backtracking.

This solidifies my belief that analysts are just like weathermen.....sometimes they get it right, usually only after the fact....and only if they are happen to be looking outside.
    Agreed. To change their estimates this drastically (+167%) in such a short period of time smacks of carelessness and weak initial analysis. I know Canaccord isn't exactly Morgan Stanley, but still, this is very unprofessional.
    03-04-13 08:54 AM
    Guys this is what the markets do. They tell ppl to sell their shares so price can drop and they can buy cheap. and vice versa. Look at AAPL BOA holds something like 45mil shares so when institutions want to get in or out of positions they create news so they can get an amateur trader on the other side of the trade. Not illegal, just the way the industry runs. Imagine if BOA or GS sold their entire position in a day what would happen? Panic sets in market shuts down for the day. So all of these portfolio managers and market makers do is create some news. Market is current news driven fed mins come out and there is talk of less QE BOOM S&P down 2%, Italy bond numbers come out BOOM nice little rally. My advice, ignore the news read the chart. Working on a candle stick native BB10 app my little pet project
    a1s2d3f4g5 and k8bushlover like this.
    03-04-13 09:11 AM
    I guess if we see Forbes and some of the usual suspects from SA changing their tune, then we know the shorting is over .....
    Still at 30% short. See chart many possibilities. Very volatile stock Beta 1.7, ATR $1 on a $13.
    Trade at your own risk!Canaccord: From 300 000 to 800 000 unit sales prediction.-bbry-setup-timeframe-2013-03-04-tos_charts.jpg
    03-04-13 09:32 AM
    It was widely reported when Canaccord decreased their estimates down to 300,000 a few weeks ago. But now when Canaccord increases, none of this is reported.
    Well, The Globe and Mail has it buried in a general market report:
    At the open: Stocks lower as worries mount over U.S. spending cuts - The Globe and Mail

Maybe they'll do a separate article later, they tend to report a lot of BlackBerry news.
    molson0 and QERNB like this.
    03-04-13 09:37 AM
    This guy should be thrown in jail for attempted market manipulation! Unbelievable fail!
    Its only illegal if they are invested in the stock. If they don't own stock or manage portfilos which own stock then i don't believe its illeagal at all.. IF They DO OWN stock then it is very illegal. I some how doubt they would put themselves in such a position.. If anything, they people that use them for information may stop relying on them or their publications.
    03-04-13 10:48 AM
    how many units a month was it said BBry can produce, wasing it like 5 million units a month or was i reading soemthign way wrong, either way i think these numbers could be pretty conservitive and the actual numbers may be in the million area
    03-04-13 11:00 AM
    Haha.. they realised they made a mistake and they are now trying to put it on the fact that bb10 started selling in more markets. Didnt they already knew that it would be launched in more markets before the US launch?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-13 11:13 AM
    he went into a fetal position and was crying. It was just mind boggling for him.”
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-04-13 11:13 AM
    Haha.. they realised they made a mistake and they are now trying to put it on the fact that bb10 started selling in more markets. Didnt they already knew that it would be launched in more markets before the US launch?

Posted via CB10
    exactly it was based on what americans think and they clearly didn't do their research
    03-04-13 11:16 AM
    Someone should file a formal complaint with the regulatory oversight body responsible for this company. Might be the investment dealers association of Canada, not sure. Either they are incompetent and pose a risk to the average investor who reads their public announcements, or more likely they are deliberately spreading information they know to be false in order to manipulate the market for the benefit of themselves and their clients. Either way they need to be stopped.
    In 2008 the Investment Dealers Association of Canada merged with Market Regulation Services Inc. to form the Investment Industry Regulation Organization of Canada (IIROC).

You can take a look through their website here. There is a toolbar on the right hand side of the linked page. Third from the bottom is the 'Inquiries and Complaints' link where you can go to email a report of this behaviour to them. Believe me when I say they WILL investigate if they get enough complaints.

Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC)
    asherwiin, bungaboy and Vorkosigan like this.
    03-04-13 11:16 AM
78 123 ...