I've always wondered is they a way of knowing what kind of blackberry it is simply by its pin number?
    08-26-09 01:30 AM
    Probably, but I don't know how. I'm assuming RIM keeps a list of all PIN numbers that can be cross referenced with serial number, manufacture date, manufacture place, device model, etc.
    08-26-09 01:34 AM
    Probably, but I don't know how. I'm assuming RIM keeps a list of all PIN numbers that can be cross referenced with serial number, manufacture date, manufacture place, device model, etc.
    +1

that is interesting though i do wonder if there is a way to decode the pin like a VIN on a car i wonder if the different numbers mean anything and if they will indicate model
    08-26-09 02:21 AM
    There has got to be a way to decode like a VIN as Reaper said... I have noticed from the few contacts I have that each wireless carrier has a different number at the begining...

2 = T Mobile
    3 = VZW
    4 = Sprint

That's only according to my short list... I don't have anyone on my list from AT&T and just one Sprint user so please don't take this as a fact from me
    08-26-09 03:44 AM
    There has got to be a way to decode like a VIN as Reaper said... I have noticed from the few contacts I have that each wireless carrier has a different number at the begining...

2 = T Mobile
    3 = VZW
    4 = Sprint

That's only according to my short list... I don't have anyone on my list from AT&T and just one Sprint user so please don't take this as a fact from me
    Doesn't quite work. I'm on AT&T and my PIN starts with a "2"
    08-26-09 03:50 AM
    Doesn't quite work. I'm on AT&T and my PIN starts with a "2"
    Yeah you're right... After I posted I did some nosing around in the Sprint, AT&T, and Tmobile forums. I noticed that AT&T started with 2 along with Tmobile. Also I remembered that my ex gf had a Sprint BB pin that started with 3.(she's not on my bbm anymore lol) The one Sprint on my bbm list has a 8350i so that might have something to do with the 4.

Maybe my first post should of looked like this....

2 = GSM
    3,4 = CDMA
    08-26-09 04:01 AM
    PINs are nothing more then a serial number in hexadecimal form. If, you convert them in decimal then they can create 4,294,967,296 device with an unique ID.
    08-26-09 04:04 AM
    Yeah you're right... After I posted I did some nosing around in the Sprint, AT&T, and Tmobile forums. I noticed that AT&T started with 2 along with Tmobile. Also I remembered that my ex gf had a Sprint BB pin that started with 3.(she's not on my bbm anymore lol) The one Sprint on my bbm list has a 8350i so that might have something to do with the 4.

Maybe my first post should of looked like this....

2 = GSM
    3,4 = CDMA
    I have a CDMA phone 8830 WE and PIN starts with "2".
    08-26-09 04:06 AM
    lol well d@mn... Even rogers, telus, bell, and vodafone pins seemed to be following my theory... oh well I tried
    08-26-09 04:09 AM
    but since you have a WE you have the ability to put in a sim card as gsm uses.
    08-26-09 04:12 AM
    but since you have a WE you have the ability to put in a sim card as gsm uses.
    Yeah I thought about that too... BUT so does my Tour and it starts with a 3.. I was excited and thought i was on to something lol
    08-26-09 04:17 AM
    Yeah I thought about that too... BUT so does my Tour and it starts with a 3.. I was excited and thought i was on to something lol
    haha aww. so. you're saying your tour has a slot for a sim card also? didnt the tour come to verizon first? that would explain the whole 3 thing..
    08-26-09 04:23 AM
    Interesting question don't know the answer to that one.
    08-26-09 05:41 AM
    you're saying your tour has a slot for a sim card also?
    Yeah the tour and the storm 9530 are both world phones with sim cards
    08-26-09 06:38 AM
    I know that the Tours seemed to all have the same type of start to all their pin numbers. Other than that it has always been sporadic, never even thought to try and pay attention actually.
    08-26-09 06:41 AM
    not sure if this is possible
    08-26-09 09:36 AM
    PINs are nothing more then a serial number in hexadecimal form. If, you convert them in decimal then they can create 4,294,967,296 device with an unique ID.

and even with this number I don't suspect one could find a common trend

I have thought about this quite a bit, and with a PIN list of all in my company from the first roll out of curves, then the pin modifications as phones got replaces with other curves found that there was NO common traits to be found with a 30+ unit sampling of Same device / Same carrier.

I would assume that the PIN is just numerically assigned, then converted to Hexadecimal, and applied to the device.
    08-26-09 09:38 AM
    I would assume there is a database with every pin as stated earlier. Seems like the only way you would be able to tell anything about the phone itself would be to have access to this database. The pin's don't seem to follow any common trend, probably just randomly assigned (or in order of manufacture) to the phones.
    08-26-09 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD