....its been made known that Whatsapp charges about $1 a year after the first year of service, but what would happen if every BlackBerry user around the world voluntarily donated the equivalent of $1 a year to a marketing account set up by BlackBerry? Only those who wish to participate can do so, without obligation. This business plan would be similar to what PBS does, or some local public radio stations do for support. BlackBerry could even make it a grand & fun event once a year by hosting a public world-wide telethon and broadcast it on all tech avenues, and take pledges by phone, emails, BBM etc. Everyday here on CrackBerry I read about how dedicated BlackBerry Nation is to the brand, this would be a perfect way to show your true guts for the fan-base. The marketing account would of course be used only for, what else.....marketing! This would ensure a constant flow of marketing dollars dedicated to the cause and it would eliminate all of the complaining everyone does about this topic, because we all would take responsibility for the money spent on it. Maybe get some celebrities to host each year, like athletes, entertainers etc. maybe dress it up a little if it is successful. Who knows, it could become an iconic event like the Grammys or the MTV video music awards....Lol..! So how about it BlackBerry Nation..............can you spare one dollar ($1)? (please keep in mind, this isn't just about BBM, its for ALL BlackBerry device users for general support for the company & OS promotion..... combined). Let's make BlackBerry the peoples choice, if they decide to use this promo approach, they can run several ideas for commercials through all participating user devices, and then we can all vote for the ones WE like the best, then they can air them for the rest of the world!
    Last edited by Affinity4BlkBrry; 02-26-14 at 11:35 AM.
    02-26-14 10:03 AM
    ....its been made known that Whatsapp charges about $1 a year after the first year of service, but what would happen if every BlackBerry user around the world voluntarily donated the equivalent of $1 a year to a marketing account set up by BlackBerry. Only those who wish to participate can do so, without obligation. This business plan would be similar to what PBS does, or some local public radio stations do for support. BlackBerry could even make it a grand & fun event once a year by hosting a public world-wide telethon and broadcast it on all tech avenues, and take pledges by phone, emails, BBM etc. Everyday here on CrackBerry I read about how dedicated BlackBerry Nation is to the brand, this would be a perfect way to show your true guts for the fan-base. The marketing account would of course be used only for, what else.....marketing! This would ensure a constant flow of marketing dollars dedicated to the cause and it would eliminate all of the complaining everyone does about this topic, because we all would take responsibility for the money spent on it. Maybe get some celebrities to host each year, like athletes, entertainers etc. maybe dress it up a little if it is successful. Who knows, it could become an iconic event like the Grammys or the MTV video music awards....Lol..! So how about it BlackBerry Nation..............can you spare one dollar ($1)?
    I can spare a dollar but I'll pass on this contribution. I buy the devices, most of which I buy outright. Their budget should allow for marketing. My obligation is to pay for their device, their obligation is to keep the business running and that means marketing.
    02-26-14 10:06 AM
    Keep making great devices and they can have 600 of my dollars every few years.
    02-26-14 10:09 AM
    No no no no... it's not about spending the 1 dollar, everyone can do that... it's about needing a credit card to pay it which will make it inaccessible to anyone under 18 in most countries.. that about comparing bbm to whatsapp..

And asking for donations publicly in a company as big and enterprise oriented as BlackBerry is plain suicide... I can see the news headlines already...

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-10.2.1.2102
    aaronpan and anon(4044683) like this.
    02-26-14 10:13 AM
    If BBM was truly BBM4ALL (which it isn't yet) and had all the features and function needed and wasn't laggy I would consider purchasing the app or a yearly $1 subscription but I'm not donating.
    02-26-14 10:28 AM
    I'd rather give that dollar to some hard working app developers (which I often do already), I bet you'll find that dollar goes a lot farther.

Posted via CB10
    agarwal.apar likes this.
    02-26-14 10:31 AM
    Not quite the gimmicks blackberry needs… the gimmicks blackberry needs is on the phone… like apple and their fingerprint sensor, or samsung and their heart rate monitor, and their camera options.. or nokia and their camera megapixels… Blackberry should come out with some mega feature that no one else has… something so gimmicky its awesome and gets people to at the very least, look at a blackberry… the hub won't do it, the swipe gestures won't do it… it needs to be fresh and new….
    02-26-14 10:41 AM
    I didn't know you could donate to a non non-profit... I just never thought of it that way. Still, I'd rather pay for an app/subscription.
    02-26-14 09:30 PM
    I didn't know you could donate to a non non-profit... I just never thought of it that way. Still, I'd rather pay for an app/subscription.
    ....well nomloj, we could call it an "investment" in a brand that we support. MR. CHEN, I'M READY TO PLEDGE MY DOLLAR!!
    02-27-14 10:57 AM
    1. Buy stock
    2. Buy an app, BlackBerry gets 30% of each app purchase

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    Last edited by Carterbits; 02-27-14 at 01:08 PM.
    02-27-14 11:01 AM
    ....well nomloj, we could call it an "investment" in a brand that we all use and support, because without the brand, there would be no products/services to purchase and/or use............MR. CHEN, I'M READY TO PLEDGE MY DOLLAR!!!
    02-27-14 11:08 AM
    You want to pledge a dollar to a company worth billions of dollars? How about some of the high priced executives (including Chen) sacrifice one of the millions they are making and put that into a marketing pot. We give them the money for our phones which is more than enough.

Lol some people act like BB is full of starving people just trying to get by. The executives make more in a year than many will make in a lifetime. Stop feeling sorry for them and let them man up on their own.
    bbq10l, JeepBB and bekkay like this.
    02-27-14 12:43 PM
    1. Buy stock
    2. Buy an app, BlackBerry gets 70% of each app purchase

You mean 30%?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 12:53 PM
    You mean 30%?

Posted via CB10
    Yepper, my bad :-)

02-27-14 01:06 PM
    Make items we can buy. How about the BlackBerry dock!

Posted via CB10
    Carterbits likes this.
    02-27-14 01:10 PM
    ...............$1
    02-27-14 01:28 PM
    Wow the press wouldn't crucify them for panhandling at all! BlackBerry needs to manage their money wisely, including having money available for marketing. Standing by the road with a sign that reads " Will advertise if you pay for it" is just silly.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 02:04 PM
    Based on BB's marketing past we'd be paying for some horrific advertising by them. The Super Bowl Ad, "Tools not Toys," and "I get 1000 emails per day, try responding to that with a touchscreen."
    02-27-14 02:58 PM
    If BBM was truly BBM4ALL (which it isn't yet) and had all the features and function needed and wasn't laggy I would consider purchasing the app or a yearly $1 subscription but I'm not donating.
    If you are using BlackBerry 10 device, your BBM won't be laggy, it's your software or your phone that makes your BBM laggy

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 04:15 PM
    The loyalty people have towards this company is crazy.

I could spare one dollar. I could spare 10....but im not just donating to BlackBerry when they are already worth billions. There are MUCH better things to donate to if that's the case.

It's been said many times before...when they make products people actually want, there won't even be a need for ideas like this

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, bbq10l and donnation like this.
    02-27-14 05:15 PM
    Can I ask this question Did anyone pay $1 for Whatsapp?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 07:33 PM
    The moment whatsapp charges a dollar is the moment the walls come crashing in. Plenty of IM services for free.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 08:01 PM
    Can I ask this question Did anyone pay $1 for Whatsapp?

Posted via CB10
    Of course not. Why would you pay. There is nothing magical about Whatsapp and plenty of IM services will do it for free. This is a low barrier to entry business and thus little profit to make.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 08:04 PM
    BlackBerry has plenty of money. What they need is to sell more product.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 08:15 PM
    BlackBerry would be the laughing stock of the phone world!! Not gonna happen.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 08:15 PM
32 12