We will have to agree to disagree on this topic! Often the people so obsessed with specs don't even KNOW WTF TO DO WITH IT. You want a DecaCore? Wait 2 months and something will come along. In case you haven't figured, the spec race is silly at best. If it runs your phone perfectly fine, you shouldn't be having a hard on about specs.

I don't see anyone babbling about how low end the 5s specs really is!! It seems just like yesterday that dual core were the next big thing.

Honestly from dual core to october core, what exactly is the average user gaining? Android fans are the ones who value this. How many apple fans flock to.line up for it based on specs? Windows phones?

What's the point ? Right now blackberry's name is in the mud to the point that no matter what spec they have, people will rarely give them.the light of day.

Posted via CB10
    Except the iPhone's benchmark scores are generally the highest in the industry. It has a 64 bit processor. That's a spec. And Windows Phone is in on the spec race as well. The Lumia 1520 is an absolute beast. And you think that the Z30 can compete with that? Again...turn to the benchmarks. It's not "just as good" as people say.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photo Channel
    01-26-14 05:28 AM
    all IMHO, perception and experience: It's all about "the mix". In fact, it's all about trust.
    It's a two-minded perception.

Specs to sell.
    Would you prefer a 300+ horsepower car than a -100 one, even if you will probably never use it ?
    Probably.

Specs to use
    Would you prefer leather, candy paint, electronic assistance and reliability, for a daily usage ?
    Probably.

So, what was former perception of BlackBerry ?
    The devices met and run perfectly the OS they're designed for; we can see the leather and really don't care about the engine.
    (P.S: until latest generations (say since 4S) same applied to apple)

What's current perception of BlackBerry ?
    To sum up : questioning about pretty much everything. This thread is one of many exactly pointing at it.

Mixed :
    I don't deny you can wonder "what if" the Z30 had a bigger *wow* effect driven by - costy by nature - specs. I do believe it'll be more appealing to a few bunch of nerds, those that would write pages of reviews flooded with "the strongest", "the fastest", "the biggest" or "first time ever" qualifiers. Would it help to sell ? Yup, probably. Enough to drastically change the sales performances ? I don't believe so.

Weird enough, it's mostly about screen resolution and processors (CPU/GPU) that we discuss.
    I can see specs on my Z30 that are at least top notch (not to say unmatched) but barely retain attention.
    Take the Paratek antennas; in no real world situation my Z30 have failed to surpass ANY competitor. Never.
    Take the battery: I call it a NUKE. No one really believes me about my battery life when I claim "up to 24Hrs in a row - wifi/BT and 4G on - fingers in the nose". Since I got it (before official launch), and whatever the situation (town&country) or usage (phone calls to "mobile office") I've NEVER been in the situation of a mandatory charge.
    Last night, I forgot to plug it on my bed side charger (note: I also forgot to remove my glasses ... hups !).

This is my gauge almost 24Hrs (minus 30 minutes) after last plug. I don't even want to discuss either or not it's an heavy, moderate or medium usage. It's just something I've never seen on any comparable smartphone.

Attachment 241769

I could go on with USB host, HDMI (and all the wireless video modes) or NFC : if you compare to competitors, most won't offer that all together.

So, where to go from that ?
    The screen on the Z30 is lower spec-ed and may render less crispy than a retina or a S4 ? You're probably right. The dual core processor has xx% lower (theorical) power than a quad/octo one ? Yes.

But my experience is nowhere approaching deception, because some of the specs that are rarely discussed makes my Z30 a device I know I can rely on and keep the folks around me saying "wow" the very first second they have it in hands; leather is not an option on this device: the built quality and in-hands perception is great.

Yesterday I had a dinner with an Orange official (marketing/enterprise). She sports a Lumia and claimed how she likes the (undeniable) picture quality and asked me to show some pics to compare side by side ... this one of those I used to show her. She was impressed (and BTW found the screen very crispy and balanced and last but not least : "so fluid").
    She was interested and I demoed some features like the hub and the keyboard (she loved that, but we'll slide O.T so I don't go further here).
    Attachment 241778

I guess we can debate for years about it ... but my final thought is : "The day we'll just consider flagship as the best matching combination of quality, perfs, price and reliability - as we used to with former BB devices - is the day when confidence and trust will be back at the highest level". Until then, you can add whatever spec you want, it will not add much to the commercial performance. IMHO.

It's not "good enough" to me: it's best class for my needs.

Have a nice Sunday folks !
    What phone was that picture taken with?

01-26-14 05:31 AM
    Actually the Z10/Z30 does a better job with HDR than the iPhones I tested with the HDR feature. It was like the feature wasn't even turned on the iPhone. The Z10/Z30 clearly made the biggest difference in darker rooms. Though in other settings, the iPhone had the leg over the Z10/Z30 camera.

I do wish Blackberry supported better camera specs. But then again, several iPhone users think their phones are pretty loud and have excellent battery life. Thank you Z30.
    I find the Z10/Z30 camera fine in outdoor scenes and when the lighting is good, but when it's indoor and/or when the lighting isn't ideal, the camera is absolutely terrible.

Shadowyugi likes this.
    01-26-14 05:33 AM
    The 4500mah battery on my z10 hit 0% at 11 am since 6:42pm yesterday. Note tho.. the z10 doesn't read the battery accurately cos it's not configured to. Normally a BlackBerry would shut the phone down when the battery is too low. Mines been on 0% for the last 30+ mins and u can tell from the graph. No need for a z30 if u have this battery.. �17 on ebay.
    Can we stop lying to ourselves?-img_20140126_113643.png

Posted via CB10 on my Z mfk'n 10!
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-26-14 05:37 AM
    And still S4 lags n Z30 doesn't! That's the difference :P

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    01-26-14 05:44 AM
    I want a z30 upgrade with a 1080 screen, quad core, and better camera (including the sensor). I'm sure they can work some power saving engineering into the OS upgrades to keep the battery life strong....

24C28DD7
    01-26-14 05:53 AM
    It's called personal preference.
    so you say some people may prefer cows dung over a pizza simply because it's called personal preference?!

I sticking with my Z10 but you can say the Z30 is a better phone then I would had to disagree and it all came to personal preferences, but saying a dual core or a octacore is personal preference is like comparing personal tastes between cows dung and a pizza (even if you don't like pizza)!
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    01-26-14 06:05 AM
    I want a z30 upgrade with a 1080 screen, quad core, and better camera (including the sensor). I'm sure they can work some power saving engineering into the OS upgrades to keep the battery life strong....

24C28DD7
    Blackberry had to follow the Z10 with a better phone I feel like the Z30 is like a new segment just as you have the Samsung Galaxy S series and the Note series, at least size wise that's what it looks like while not advancing on the technology side. And not having a full black Z30 is another mistake. Blackberry dropped the ball in specs size and advertisement actually seems like they mixed many balls wrong move.
    01-26-14 06:08 AM
    Of course the specs of EVERY BlackBerry in the past were behind the competitors... But the Z30 is the nearly perfect balancing act between all needs... Security, resolution, CPU, cores, Battery-life,... If you WANT a 1080p resolution and quadcore- purchase a Samsung and stay near an electric socket. Some benchmarks of the Z30 beating the S4! If you want to impress somebody with a quadcore (and its power consumption) speak to a power plant operator. Instead of this you should compare a dualcore, 720p Amoled Samsung with the Z30 and THAN tell me the difference (if you still want to). The Z30 seems to be the first smartphone of BlackBerry which is on one side nearly at eye level with other competitors (with some advantages in security, battery life, connectivity...) and on the other hand a platform which isnt as corruptible as Android and iOS already is! I accept 0,4 sec. difference in rendering a map when I get the positivness, that google needs a loooot more time to analyse my personality when I use a BlackBerry.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-26-14 06:09 AM
    Of course the specs of EVERY BlackBerry in the past were behind the competitors... But the Z30 is the nearly perfect balancing act between all needs... Security, resolution, CPU, cores, Battery-life,... If you WANT a 1080p resolution and quadcore- purchase a Samsung and stay near an electric socket. Some benchmarks of the Z30 beating the S4! If you want to impress somebody with a quadcore (and its power consumption) speak to a power plant operator. Instead of this you should compare a dualcore, 720p Amoled Samsung with the Z30 and THAN tell me the difference (if you still want to). The Z30 seems to be the first smartphone of BlackBerry which is on one side nearly at eye level with other competitors (with some advantages in security, battery life, connectivity...) and on the other hand a platform which isnt as corruptible as Android and iOS already is! I accept 0,4 sec. difference in rendering a map when I get the positivness, that google needs a loooot more time to analyse my personality when I use a BlackBerry.
    No. You shouldn't compare a 720p Samsung to a Z30 just because of the screen. It should be a Z30 against the S4IVbecause that is what each company has out right now. No consumer will make their decision by digging up a few years old high end Samsung device to compare the screens with a Z30. They will be comparing a Z30 and SIV side by side in store. It's what both brought to the table in 2013/2014.

I'm not going to get started about you saying that the Z30 is eye level with other high end devices out there.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    01-26-14 06:14 AM
    No. You shouldn't compare a 720p Samsung to a Z30 just because of the screen. It should be a Z30 against the S4IVbecause that is what each company has out right now. No consumer will make their decision by digging up a few years old high end Samsung device to compare the screens with a Z30. They will be comparing a Z30 and SIV side by side in store. It's what both brought to the table in 2013/2014.

I'm not going to get started about you saying that the Z30 is eye level with other high end devices out there.

Well... we r on the crackberry forums sooo....

the z30 is eye level to the s4, 5s iPhone 6, 7 and 8 and every iteration of the Samsung galaxy devices to come for the next 10 years. furthermore, the os is pristine and perfect, and no further improvements are required as it's the best invention of any product ever. Period. The app situation has been addressed and we now have every single app to compete with the other inferior products that lag with a gazillion ghz of cpus, and the products that attract sheep... the fact that they dominate the market is irrelevant, because the general public are misinformed and too uneducated to actually see that blackberries are superior. Stupid uneducated public!!!!!

Lol sorry I had to troll.

I see a ban coming but I couldn't resist. Goodbye everyone.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 06:42 AM
    Well... we r on the crackberry forums sooo....

the z30 is eye level to the s4, 5s iPhone 6, 7 and 8 and every iteration of the Samsung galaxy devices to come for the next 10 years. furthermore, the os is pristine and perfect, and no further improvements are required as it's the best invention of any product ever. Period. The app situation has been addressed and we now have every single app to compete with the other inferior products that lag with a gazillion ghz of cpus, and the products that attract sheep... the fact that they dominate the market is irrelevant, because the general public are misinformed and too uneducated to actually see that blackberries are superior. Stupid uneducated public!!!!!

Lol sorry I had to troll.

I see a ban coming but I couldn't resist. Goodbye everyone.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think a ban would be in order for that lol. And to be honest when I first started reading I thought you were serious hahah

01-26-14 06:47 AM
    lol @ at the melodrama over whether a mobile telephone has two CPU cores or four. 'First world problems' - well and truly.
    What else would one talk about on crack berry forums?
    01-26-14 07:01 AM
    I'm tired of these crybaby threads.
    If you don't like it, don't buy it.
    It's like comparing Apple rumors / Samsung rumors and wishes to the actual device.
    If you want to stop lying to YOURSELF, you know that you alway want MORE, CHEAPER, FASTER, COOLER, BETTER, BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH....

There is no need for a >1200$ specs flagship (why >1200?, just because tech junkies are just a limited number of users, and there are not millions of blackberry sheeps that are willing to pay every price)

I bought what i like and i am not lying to myself and I prefer BlackBerry to design devices that people need and are willing to buy, not ultra-phones that only a few techies buy (for 3 months, before the next comes out).

Creating overall (vendors) flagships is highly expensive and a hit and miss. BlackBerry has NO tolerance for a single miss at the moment.
    01-26-14 07:16 AM
    [QUOTE=BlackB_G;9904960]The 4500mah battery on my z10 hit 0% at 11 am since 6:42pm yesterday. Note tho.. the z10 doesn't read the battery accurately cos it's not configured to. Normally a BlackBerry would shut the phone down when the battery is too low. Mines been on 0% for the last 30+ mins and u can tell from the graph. No need for a z30 if u have this battery.. �17 on ebay.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140126_113643.png 
Views:	637 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	241788

UPDATE: now 1 : 45pm and been on 0% since 11am. Altogether it's about 19hrs the phones been on and heavily used.

UPDATE 2: 2:30 pm now and still going.
    Attachment 241836
    Attached Thumbnails Can we stop lying to ourselves?-img_20140126_134752.png  
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 01-26-14 at 08:34 AM.
    01-26-14 07:48 AM
    Not lying to myself, speak on your own behalf op. My z30 is the best device I have owned. It is very well balanced for a great user experience.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    01-26-14 08:25 AM
    Except the iPhone's benchmark scores are generally the highest in the industry. It has a 64 bit processor. That's a spec. And Windows Phone is in on the spec race as well. The Lumia 1520 is an absolute beast. And you think that the Z30 can compete with that? Again...turn to the benchmarks. It's not "just as good" as people say.

And this is a perfect example why I'll never agree with the spec wars.

Just because your processor claims to be the best and the fastest doesn't mean that this translates to the end user's experience on the device.

As previously stated, I've done my own benchmarking on the latest iphone 5s to my z10. While it "claims" to run the fastest processing power, Minion Rush on my z10 runs noticeably and I mean noticeably faster than on the iphone 5s - virtually full framerates (~60fps) on the z10 to constant notiecably lagging framerates on the 5s. My work colleague who has the 5s and was also under the impression that his 5s would beat the snot out of my z10 on this gaming test we did, had only one comment reagrding his 5s after reviewing the frame rates differences.. "...ahhh.. it's good enough".

Specs don't necessarily make the experience. In the end what I value is the overall experience I get from the device and what I feel is most important out of the device. I need to get things done and when it comes down to whether or not a small 5" screen has 720p/1080p I don't care as long as the screen looks great and optimizes my battery life.

I won't bash the OP opinion (cause that what it is) since it seems that either specs or high screen dpi is important to them. And hey, that's ok. It simply doesn't apply to everyone as you can tell from the responses on this thread.

It doesn't make someone else's preferences wrong which unfortunately what this title implies.

And by the way, even if the z30 had 1080p resolution, I'm not convinced that would have fixed Blackberries marketshare and increased sales. Blackberry's problem is perception right now and specs are a distance second. Right now, my z10 outperforms the iphone 5s in every way except apps (and the z30 is even better).. and that's my personal opinion and others that I know who have the z10...
    01-26-14 08:32 AM
    And this is a perfect example why I'll never agree with the spec wars.

Just because your processor claims to be the best and the fastest doesn't mean that this translates to the end user's experience on the device.

As previously stated, I've done my own benchmarking on the latest iphone 5s to my z10. While it "claims" to run the fastest processing power, Minion Rush on my z10 runs noticeably and I mean noticeably faster than on the iphone 5s - virtually full framerates (~60fps) on the z10 to constant notiecably lagging framerates on the 5s. My work colleague who has the 5s and was also under the impression that his 5s would beat the snot out of my z10 on this gaming test we did, had only one comment reagrding his 5s after reviewing the frame rates differences.. "...ahhh.. it's good enough".

Specs don't necessarily make the experience. In the end what I value is the overall experience I get from the device and what I feel is most important out of the device. I need to get things done and when it comes down to whether or not a small 5" screen has 720p/1080p I don't care as long as the screen looks great and optimizes my battery life.

I won't bash the OP opinion (cause that what it is) since it seems that either specs or high screen dpi is important to them. And hey, that's ok. It simply doesn't apply to everyone as you can tell from the responses on this thread.

It doesn't make someone else's preferences wrong which unfortunately what this title implies.

And by the way, even if the z30 had 1080p resolution, I'm not convinced that would have fixed Blackberries marketshare and increased sales. Blackberry's problem is perception right now and specs are a distance second. Right now, my z10 outperforms the iphone 5s in every way except apps (and the z30 is even better).. and that's my personal opinion and others that I know who have the z10...
    And you are right to some extent. But when you put a year old chipset into a supposed high end phone, that's just pathetic. It can't compete with much newer chipsets. If BlackBerry put a new high end chipset in, imagine how good the Z30 could actually be...and also imagine how the people on here would brag about how great the Z30 specs are.

As far as the 5s/Z10, I notice that things are quicker and more fluid on an iPhone (actually using a 5 as an example). The Hub can be generally quite sluggish and apps take a while to open.

Also, I agree again that just a 1080p screen wouldn't have changed the perception. It would have to be a true high end phone.

01-26-14 08:38 AM
    OP,.. Use the term "WE" lightly!! There are alot of us who bought and own our Z30 for the sheer purpose of Completion. It complete's our daily needs, our productivity needs, our media needs (any form of it)! Everyone makes there own decision on what they want. I love the fact I can rest assure that my battery can go 2.5 days when I need it to. I have never had a lag on this device. I can load Android apps, (if "I") choose to. See it is about personal preference. Oh and I never lied to myself.
    01-26-14 08:39 AM
    Bigger better specs don't equal better performance. If the OS is written efficiently,
    there is no need for ultra-high end processors. BlackBerry has always written their OS
    with efficiency. Efficiency has allowed the BlackBerry to have great battery life.
    PLEASE, understand that efficiency makes for a better phone.
    I would say it is a huge battery and an AMOLED display, because if it was efficiency of the OS, my Z10 would last a lot longer than it does.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-26-14 08:42 AM
    ^^^ this..

OP is just delusional for thinking for everyone else..
    I'm happy with my device and that's it. It's all personal preferences..

I like my phone therefore I do.

Posted via Awesome Astro flying10.2.1.1925 on CB10. For a regular dose of Quotes, subscribe C001190A9 .
    01-26-14 08:43 AM
    For anyone dissatisfied with their Z30, I will gladly offer 200 American dollars to take if off your hands. Just putting that out there!

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 08:43 AM
    For anyone dissatisfied with their Z30, I will gladly offer 200 American dollars to take if off your hands. Just putting that out there!

Posted via CB10
    If the Z30 was priced at $200 (or even $300-$400 off contract), people wouldn't be complaining as much since they are/would be currently playing flagship price for a less than flagship phone.

01-26-14 08:45 AM
    Personal preference. I prefer my Z30 over Z10. I had my z10 from Feb to October, and z30 since then. My wife still has her Z10, so I know exactly the pros and cons of the two devices are. If z30 and z10 were launched at the same time, I would have gone with the Z30.

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    01-26-14 08:46 AM
    The Z10's screen is great but essentially a waste. Having the brightness turned up at all destroys the battery. What good is a screen that you can't look at for more than a few hours without it going dead? I'll take the lower resolution screen with great battery life over a higher quality screen that makes the phone a paper weight because of battery issues.
    NiqDy likes this.
    01-26-14 08:58 AM
451 ... 45678 ...