So owning it or "wasting" your 14 day exchange is ridiculous but coming on here and spewing baseless lies about how it's not up to par isn't? People who don't have experience with the device and I don't mean looking at it in the store for a few minutes, have absolutely no credibility when discussing the pros and cons. Hence why my question actually matters more than half the posts in the thread actually. So if people haven't bought it and used it then their claims aren't based on anything but some perceived need for big specs.
    And I didn't say people who make baseless claims about anything as being okay. Not sure where you got that from.

Posted via CB10
    No, it's a potential waste, because if you end up not liking it because you can't find the apps that you need, the battery is terrible (Z10), or some other reason, then you get one exchange...

And if you don't like the second phone, you start paying $35 restocking fees to return that one. Also, it makes you have to review the second phone in a hurry otherwise you run over your return period and get stuck with a phone unless you ETF it and start over. It's risky to do that.

I've been in that position before. I got AT&T to waive the fee only because an app that I needed was "incompatible" with the second phone I chose in the Play Store, but compatible with the (third) phone that I wanted. I exchanged it on the last day, and the person on the phone had to call the manager to see if he'd let me do it, it was totally at their discretion - he probably only did it because I could still just take the phone back and get out of the contract for free. Otherwise they'd likely have told me "Tough Luck, Buddy!!!"

People who buy it can use whatever they want. They just need to realize that they cannot expect consumers who don't own this phone to buy 100% off of blind trust for what strangers on a clearly biased enthusiast forum tells them. The phone needs to be competitive, in the areas that consumers actually care about (they do not review these phones like corporate contract customers). The phone has a few minutes to sell itself. If the consumer looks disinterested, the Rep will take them to a device that they think will spark their interest more. That's how it works in the real world. That's not bias on the part of the Rep/Carrier. They have limited time and other customers to deal with. They are there to sell phones, phones that hopefully won't get returned or disliked by the customer - causing more issues and cutting into their profits.

They sell what is best and what the customers like. From a market perspective, that is not Blackberry.

Even though Windows Mobile sucked compared to Android and iOS, people like me still bought Windows Mobile phones as late as 2008/2009 simply because we wanted them or preferred it. That doesn't really mean anything.

I and everyone here is aware that Blackberry has majority "Like" on this forum, and that is as it should be. However I think there are lots of smoke and mirrors when it comes to observing the consumer smartphone market, realizing how the average person actually uses a smartphone out in the real world, and actually understanding just how important services are to attracting and retaining users (lock-in sucks when your choice platform is doing terribly, but it's great when it's working in your platform's favor to retain users and increase the value of the device you own).

NFC, Wi-Fi Direct, and BT File Transfer will not pull users who never use that stuff over to your platform. Hub and "a better email client" will not appeal to consumers who has been moving most of their communications out of email and into messaging services. On the flip side losing something like Shared Photo Streams and being potentially unable to participate in those social activities from their mobile device may work wonders for another company who wants to retain that user...
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 01-26-14 at 04:00 PM.
    BuffaloMadMan likes this.
    01-26-14 03:49 PM
    No, it's a potential waste, because if you end up not liking it because you can't find the apps that you need, the battery is terrible (Z10), or some other reason, then you get one exchange...

And if you don't like the second phone, you start paying $35 restocking fees to return that one. Also, it makes you have to review the second phone in a hurry.

I've been in that position before. I got AT&T to waive the fee only because an app that I needed was "incompatible" with the second phone I had in the Play Store, but compatible with the one that I wanted.

People who buy it can use whatever they want. They just need to realize that they cannot expect consumers who don't own this phone to buy 100% off of blind trust for what strangers on a clearly biased enthusiast forum tells them.
    Have you followed the forums? There are very little fans here anymore. And basing your choice on people who use it is far more credible than those who just bash it for the sake of bashing it....which unfortunately is a greater majority than those so called biased fans you speak of. There are constructive threads that discuss the pros and cons with people who actually own the device.
    So I guess rather than going on blind trust of people who own the device, you think it makes more sense to buy it on 100% blind trust of those who just feel the need to bash it without ever even using. That's logical.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan and Pdinos3 like this.
    01-26-14 03:59 PM
    This thread is insane...why is everyone posting battery screenshots? The thread isn't about battery, or camera pics. Its about BB making a hero device for once that matches what is currently on the market. Trust me the last person that should answer this thread is a z30 owner because obviously you will take offense to this post because you drop a lot of money down on the phone so its normal for you to have to defend the purchase you made when in fact nobody is sayung its a bad phone. All the op is saying that its time for BB to make that hero device that pushes specs to the limits. This thread isn't about z30 owners defending why they bought a z30. Come on guys let's not go down that road throughout the whole thread. Saying battery life is the reason for a 720 screen is just not true when a note 3 has just as good or better battery. The z30 is a tough sell when for the same price you can get better specc'd phones. Sales people use hardware to sell to customers so when a customer asks what's the difference between z30 and any high end phone its an easy pitch of the con's of the device.

All we want is a phone that has cutting edge specs. I just think better specs makes it a easier sell for sales people in the store because at least then they could say they are all the same phones with different OS's but now it's just a knock on BB. Hardware sells and software keeps them locked in. How else are they suppose to sell BB? Because of the hub? Come on no one will even know what or why they need it

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-26-14 04:01 PM
    Have you followed the forums? There are very little fans here anymore. And basing your choice on people who use it is far more credible than those who just bash it for the sake of bashing it....which unfortunately is a greater majority than those so called biased fans you speak of. There are constructive threads that discuss the pros and cons with people who actually own the device.
    So I guess rather than going on blind trust of people who own the device, you think it makes more sense to buy it on 100% blind trust of those who just feel the need to bash it without ever even using. That's logical.

Posted via CB10
    I have no issue with Blackberry Fans on a Blackberry Forum.

That's all I have to say about that. You act like I have issue with this forum, its purpose, and its users. I don't.

I have issue with the way in which they address specific issues, which leads one to believe that they intentionally are ignoring the market and civilization itself in an attempt to give credence to their arguments.

No, I don't want my mom to make a Z30 purchase based on someone on Crackberry.com forums saying it's the best phone ever because it can do Wi-Fi Direct, NFC, and BT File Transfers (usually in an attempt to position it as superior to the iPhone; which many think of as a vulnerable target on these forums so it's almost always picked on).

The iPhone used to have no Apps. No MMS. No Copy/Paste.

Guess what? People still lined up for them.

Apple got to where it is by actually giving people what people want, not giving them what corporations want. Blackberry has to completely change the way it thinks about smartphones and software/services if it wants to compete with those other companies who are targeting consumers first and putting companies on the backburner. Even BBM Channels is largely a corporate play (though honestly, why not try to monetize BBM if you think you can do so).
    Kurdis Blough likes this.
    01-26-14 04:01 PM
    I have no issue with Blackberry Fans on a Blackberry Forum.

That's all I have to say about that. You act like I have issue with this forum, its purpose, and its users. I don't.

I have issue with the way in which they address specific issues, which leads one to believe that they intentionally are ignoring the market and civilization itself in an attempt to give credence to their arguments.
    Like I said, there are many constructive discussions by owners of the device that discuss all the pros and cons.
    You have no issues yet you are smack dab in the middle of a thread that starts out stating that we are all lying to ourselves because we actually feel this device works well for us. I'm not intentionally ignoring anything. I know that I don't have all the apps, I know I don't have octacore, I know I don't have 1080 screen, but I also know that this is a great device. The fact that people are bashing it has nothing to do with the Z30 but with their perception of BlackBerry. Reason I say that is that not even the IPhone has those things I listed above and I think we can all agree that the IPhone is a high end device. You wouldn't see this OP on an iPhone forum saying "stop lying to yourself" because the iPhone doesn't have the highest specs.
    So again, making assumptions like people have in this thread without owning the device does nothing for anyone, including those consumers you are so concerned about buying something based on delusional fan statements.
    Let me ask you this, what device do you use?

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    01-26-14 04:10 PM
    Again i will say How can Blackberry justify the price of the Z30 when the Moto X which has similar specs is a damn sight cheaper.
    The Z30 is a good device. But it is not as good as its price suggests
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-26-14 04:13 PM
    Again i will say How can Blackberry justify the price of the Z30 when the Moto X which has similar specs is a damn sight cheaper.
    This is the first I see the price argument. I thought it just wasn't up to par all together? And you do realize Google doesn't care about making money on devices. That's actually not their core business at all. That's why they happily take a loss on devices if need be.
    Do I think phones in general are overpriced? Yes. But that's not only the Z30. If you want to compare specs to price then the IPhone is overpriced too. You can't just peg the Z30 as that device and assume the rest of them are exactly where they need to be on price to spec ratio.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan and Pdinos3 like this.
    01-26-14 04:18 PM
    This is the first I see the price argument. I thought it just wasn't up to par all together? And you do realize Google doesn't care about making money on devices. That's actually not their core business at all. That's why they happily take a loss on devices if need be.
    Do I think phones in general are overpriced? Yes. But that's not only the Z30. If you want to compare specs to price then the IPhone is overpriced too. You can't just peg the Z30 as that device and assume the rest of them are exactly where they need to be on price to spec ratio.

Posted via CB10

BlackBerry and Apple aren't comparable in terms of value. That's the point.

3rd party support, customer service, carrier support, ecosystem not in same ballpark
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-26-14 04:24 PM
    BlackBerry and Apple aren't comparable in terms of value. That's the point.

3rd party support, customer service, carrier support, ecosystem not in same ballpark
    I wasn't comparing their value. He made a comparison to the moto which also can't be compared either based on the things you stated as well as company goals.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    01-26-14 04:26 PM
    1. The Z30 is only 20 pounds ($30) more expensive than the Moto X. You have to compare the SIM free prices, not the subsidised ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00E...bUvbUpU9907668

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00H...bUvbUpU9907668

2. The Z30 has slightly better specs: bigger battery, a microSD card slot and a miniHDMI port. It is also built from more expensive materials.

3. BlackBerry is not Google, they can't afford to sell a phone at a loss.
    Pdinos3, deptech, habs_fan and 2 others like this.
    01-26-14 04:30 PM
    Like I said, there are many constructive discussions by owners of the device that discuss all the pros and cons.
    You have no issues yet you are smack dab in the middle of a thread that starts out stating that we are all lying to ourselves because we actually feel this device works well for us. I'm not intentionally ignoring anything. I know that I don't have all the apps, I know I don't have octacore, I know I don't have 1080 screen, but I also know that this is a great device. The fact that people are bashing it has nothing to do with the Z30 but with their perception of BlackBerry. Reason I say that is that not even the IPhone has those things I listed above and I think we can all agree that the IPhone is a high end device. You wouldn't see this OP on an iPhone forum saying "stop lying to yourself" because the iPhone doesn't have the highest specs.
    So again, making assumptions like people have in this thread without owning the device does nothing for anyone, including those consumers you are so concerned about buying something based on delusional fan statements.
    Let me ask you this, what device do you use?

Posted via CB10
    There are tons of troll threads on this forum saying the same thing to iPhone users. How many times have those users been called iSheep, Droids (robots), clueless, unsophisticated, unintelligent. Whatever.

People do lie on this forum, all the time. Yes, I use the term lie. It's easy to type and it gets straight to the point. It's a verb, and it basically means to tell an untruth positioned as a fact. "iPhone cannot share photos without a third party app" was a flat out lie, for example... Saying you can use Wi-Fi Direct and BT file transfer while the iPhone cannot is, at beast, riding a line since AirDrop basically uses Wi-Fi and BT to do file transfers; just in a way that locks non-Apple devices out (and that somewhat makes sense, since the iPhone supports specific CODECs and formats and its apps handle specific data types so it makes little sense to subject your users to potential compatibility issues).

Why are you crying about it, when you in the same thread? Don't throw stones.
    01-26-14 04:30 PM
    The Z30 is a decent device. I used it, but in my personal opinion I like the Z10 a lot more due to the screen resolution and size. My main topic of concern is we need to stop with the "good enough" attitude and the "you cannot tell the difference" attitude. And stop berating and attacking people that are asking for better hardware.

I go around the forums and see some people raise valid criticisms of the Z30 (mainly its screen resolution) and I see them instantly get attacked. Many people say you cannot tell the difference between a 720p screen with 295ppi vs a 1080p screen with 441ppi, claiming its just a marketing term. Ummmm are you kidding me??? Like honestly have you guys seen a Galaxy S4 and a Z30 side by side? The Z30 screen looks awful compared to it.

Another is the "good enough" attitude. When it comes to CPU's for example, an S4 and its Quad/Octacore is much faster when it comes to rendering maps/images/editing than a Z30. But again people say the dual core is good enough to get the job done.

Ok so I want you guys to go back in time when the Z30 was rumored as the Aristo. Look down in the comments.

Flagship BlackBerry A10 rumored to be arriving later this year | CrackBerry.com
    BlackBerry 10 Aristo spec sheet appears, calls for Quad-Core Krait | CrackBerry.com

Everyone was clamoring on about quad core CPU's, 1080p displays because why? Because they are necessary and its what the market wants (It is what we wanted on CB!!). No one back then said "Quad core??? Too much for me, lets bump it down to dual core its good enough. Also the screen, bring it down to 720p because really 1080p makes no difference". So I feel like BB can literally put out anything and many people on Crackberry will be happy with it and justify below par phones with some weird reasoning.

My reason for this post then is this. If we want to move forward and make BlackBerry a success again, we on Crackberry, the most hardcore users need to demand the best from BB and John Chen & Co. Demand them to put out the best spec, the most secure, and the best built phones out on the market. We really wont get there if we still hold onto this good enough attitude.
    You have put in words with the right intensity, exactly what I've been thinking. Being a newer CB participant I felt that I may get smashed. I own a Z10 and I've stood in Verizon and did my own side-by-side comparison of these phones. With this latest OS Z10 destroys any phone without apps. Samsung looks so much better and functions smother than the BlackBerry. If BlackBerry stepped their hardware game, they couldn't be denied as a superior device! As it stands, it's only a superior OS.
    Can we stop lying to ourselves?-img_20140126_173030.png
    Can we stop lying to ourselves?-img_20140126_173040_edit.png

Z10 (STL 100-3) Superphone with vitamin 10.2.1.1925
    01-26-14 04:36 PM
    There are tons of troll threads on this forum saying the same thing to iPhone users. How many times have those users been called iSheep, Droids (robots), clueless, unsophisticated, unintelligent. Whatever.

People do lie on this forum, all the time. Yes, I use the term lie. It's easy to type and it gets straight to the point. It's a verb, and it basically means to tell an untruth positioned as a fact. "iPhone cannot share photos without a third party app" was a flat out lie, for example... Saying you can use Wi-Fi Direct and BT file transfer while the iPhone cannot is, at beast, riding a line since AirDrop basically uses Wi-Fi and BT to do file transfers; just in a way that locks non-Apple devices out (and that somewhat makes sense, since the iPhone supports specific CODECs and formats and its apps handle specific data types so it makes little sense to subject your users to potential compatibility issues).

Why are you crying about it, when you in the same thread? Don't throw stones.
    Oh the irony. People tell lies but you seem to be okay with people giving their opinion on a device they have never used and pass it off as fact....you know to help those poor consumers from buying a device being discussed by someone who actually owns it.
    And get this one fact straight, I'm not crying about anything.
    Now before I continue this discussion, what device do you use? I will not continue to discuss a device with someone who has zero credibility in the argument.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    01-26-14 04:36 PM
    1. The Z30 is only 20 pounds ($30) more expensive than the Moto X. You have to compare the SIM free prices, not the subsidised ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00E...bUvbUpU9907715

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00H...bUvbUpU9907715

2. The Z30 has slightly better specs: bigger battery, a microSD card slot and a miniHDMI port. It is also built from more expensive materials.

3. BlackBerry is not Google, they can't afford to sell a phone at a loss.
    The value of the Z30 has depreciated faster than the Moto X due to lower demand. That's common and expected. The launch price was ridiculous, though, especially the subsidized carrier price, which is where most consumers here get their devices.

The Z10 and even the OS7 devices had the same exact issues. They didn't even attempt to try a different strategy to move more phones.
    darkehawke likes this.
    01-26-14 04:37 PM
    Oh the irony. People tell lies but you seem to be okay with people giving their opinion on a device they have never used and pass it off as fact....you know to help those poor consumers from buying a device being discussed by someone who actually owns it.
    And get this one fact straight, I'm not crying about anything.
    Now before I continue this discussion, what device do you use? I will not continue to discuss a device with someone who has zero credibility in the argument.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe crying was the wrong term...

Don't be so mad about it, since that part is quite clear.

When has someone given opinion on a device they have never used in this thread? Saying the camera is worse? Saying that someone else's use case may be completely different than yours which makes the best device for them different? Saying the software is clearly inefficient? Providing screenshots to someone who can't even take my word that equivalent functionality in BB10 uses 3-5x as much RAM as the Android software on an Android smartphone?

By explaining to someone that Apple devices can share photos without a third party application and without the other person needing an Apple device?

Please. Get. Real. and keep your emotions in check.

It's not that serious. Trust me, I am not foaming at the mouth just because you have convinced yourself the Z30 is the best thing since the invention of fire.
    01-26-14 04:44 PM
    The value of the Z30 has depreciated faster than the Moto X due to lower demand. That's common and expected. The launch price was ridiculous, though, especially the subsidized carrier price, which is where most consumers here get their devices.

The Z10 and even the OS7 devices had the same exact issues. They didn't even attempt to try a different strategy to move more phones.
    I know that's how many people buy their phones, but that is not the price set by BlackBerry.

Regarding the launch price (about 500 pounds here in the UK), my other points still stand. It has better specs and BlackBerry is not Google.
    habs_fan and ray689 like this.
    01-26-14 04:46 PM
    I know that's how many people buy their phones, but that is not the price set by BlackBerry.

Regarding the launch price (about 500 pounds here in the UK), my other points still stand. It has better specs and BlackBerry is not Google.
    Android is too far ahead, as is Apple. Price is not going to save then vs those platforms.

However, their device prices were considerably higher than the $449 off-contract prices Nokia was selling the Lumia 9xx devices for. That $449 Off-Contract/$99 Contract super-competitive pricing was a huge reason why Microsoft was able to move so many units and it's part of the reason why Nokia was able to basically demolish every other Windows Phone 8 manufacturer.

They were competing for traction with Microsoft, and they basically threw it away with the ridiculous pricing of those handsets.

Blackberry's devices have traditionally always been overpriced so I'm not buying the assertion that "Blackberry doesn't set the prices" months in hindsight after the device hasn't sold well based on what Amazon.com is selling it for. That just isn't credible. The Z10 was $200+ on contract and almost $600 off-contract (at least $549 off contract IIRC). The Z30 was priced like a Galaxy Note vs. GS4s, HTC Ones, etc. that were $100 cheaper on contract. Even going back to the OS7 days, the 9900 was $250-299 on contract on release, while Android and iOS flagships were $199 or less on contract... It has always been this way.

All phones have a MSRP, and I'm pretty sure Blackberry is giving that trivial piece of information to the carriers. After all, it's likely close to the basis of any pricing agreements the carriers make to purchase/sell their phones. You cannot charge a carrier $500 for a phone is the MSRP is only $449, for example, and I doubt the carriers are making devices up $100+ for kicks, when they make almost all of their profits from services.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    01-26-14 04:49 PM
    Maybe crying was the wrong term...

Don't be so mad about it, since that part is quite clear.

When has someone given opinion on a device they have never used in this thread? Saying the camera is worse? Saying that someone else's use case may be completely different than yours which makes the best device for them different? Saying the software is clearly inefficient? Providing screenshots to someone who can't even take my word that equivalent functionality in BB10 uses 3-5x as much RAM as the Android software on an Android smartphone?

By explaining to someone that Apple devices can share photos without a third party application and without the other person needing an Apple device?

Please. Get. Real. and keep your emotions in check.

It's not that serious. Trust me, I am not foaming at the mouth just because you have convinced yourself the Z30 is the best thing since the invention of fire.
    Hahaha again not mad at all (might wanna look in the mirror). What I originally stated is that many who are making statements about the device likely don't own it and just basing their argument on the perception of specs being the be all and end all. And clearly you don't own the device either.
    At least you finally admitted that it's the greatest thing since the invention of fire...thanks for that.
    Now continue on with your baseless arguments. When you own it then we can discuss further.
    You know same reason I won't tell you that whatever car you own is brutal if i've never driven it.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    01-26-14 04:52 PM
    I have both the Z10 and Z30 and loved them both but the Z30 in my favorite. I think it should have been launched first.

I'm hoping for a Z50 next same size as the Z30 but no bezel. I hope it goes crazy on specs I don't care about the price. Maybe do something special like 128gb of memory.

Posted via CB10
    ray689 likes this.
    01-26-14 04:56 PM
    Hahaha again not mad at all (might wanna look in the mirror). What I originally stated is that many who are making statements about the device likely don't own it and just basing their argument on the perception of specs being the be all and end all. And clearly you don't own the device either.
    At least you finally admitted that it's the greatest thing since the invention of fire...thanks for that.
    Now continue on with your baseless arguments. When you own it then we can discuss further.
    You know same reason I won't tell you that whatever car you own is brutal if i've never driven it.

Posted via CB10
    I own a z30... and I expect improvement on the os..

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 05:02 PM
    Android is too far ahead, as is Apple. Price is not going to save then vs those platforms.

However, their device prices were considerably higher than the $449 off-contract prices Nokia was selling the Lumia 9xx devices for.

They were competing for traction with Microsoft, and they basically threw it away with the ridiculous pricing of those handsets.

Ummm, no. Lumia 9xx (and 10xx) phones were much more than that at launch.

And anyway, I don't think a lower price would have helped. Not unless the difference in price compared to their competitors was a substantial one.
    01-26-14 05:03 PM
    I own a z30... and I expect improvement on the os..

Posted via CB10
    That's not what the discussion was but I think everyone wants OS improvements. And that goes for all OS' available.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 05:04 PM
    Ummm, no. Lumia 9xx (and 10xx) phones were much more than that at launch.

And anyway, I don't think a lower price would have helped. Not unless the difference in price compared to their competitors was a substantial one.
    Wrong. Lumia 920 launched at $449, as did all its variants on other carriers. With a $99 contract price.

All of them.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/6...g-release-date

"The Nokia pre-order pages are now live on AT&T's site, revealing the "no-commitment" (off-contract) pricing for both Lumias. The*Lumia 920 will be available for $449.99, while the*Lumia 820 can be had for $399.99. That's competitive when compared to similar Android and iOS devices, although obviously doesn't match the*LTE-less Nexus 4*for value."

01-26-14 05:05 PM
    That's not what the discussion was but I think everyone wants OS improvements. And that goes for all OS' available.

Posted via CB10
    No I wasn't tryna troll in response to your comment... but just wanted to say, I have the z30 and have improvements in mind I'd like blackberry to provide!

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 05:07 PM
    No I wasn't tryna troll in response to your comment... but just wanted to say, I have the z30 and have improvements in mind I'd like blackberry to provide!

Posted via CB10
    Oh yes and I agree. The OS can only get better.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 05:07 PM
451 ... 89101112 ...