Look at the "lowly" Z10 punching it out with the big guns just for reference:

http://anandtech.com/show/7463/a-qui...ormance-on-z10
    Those results aren't impressive at all. BlackBerry washes out in the lower third.
    02-01-14 11:52 AM
    No when I'm buying a phone I'm buying hardware and os label. All the other mumbo jumbo that you get might be a bonus but not a life or death deal! Let's bee real. Z30 off contract is still 200-400 less expensive. You could buy a phone with that.

I could have gotten 5 z10s (now with the dropped prices) or 2 initial z10s with that money

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 has 16GB storage only. Don't be so extreme in your comparisons. Compare that to a 64GB (internal storage) Z30... if you can find one.

And of course that's what you buy.

You seriously have to buy that way to justify a BB purchase as a consumer these days.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    02-01-14 12:22 PM
    I agree. We forget sometimes that blackberry is a firm at the end of the day and needs to make a profit in order to continue doing business. Yes maybe prices should be lower but like you say when you put it into apples perspective how much lower do you really want blackberry to go? I don't doubt that blackberries margin on their hardware is still high however I think it would be a bad move to lower prices further since we would run into more problems like deteriorating quality. Mind you they shouldn't keep the costs up just to make a phone last forever since they go out of date 6-12 months down the line. It's all about balance. The blackberry balance haha.

Posted via CB10 on my awesome new Z30!
    I agree with you that BlackBerry prices shouldn't charge an exorbitant amount of money for their devices but they shouldn't sell them cheaply either. Even if there are people who hate BlackBerry, the phone itself is not a piece of crap and should therefore be, in my opinion, at a higher-but-still-reasonable price. For example, Rogers lists the Q10 at $79.99 and its full price is $700. $700 is still expensive but at $79.99 for a 2-year contract, and maybe only $400 outright instead, that is pretty reasonable.

All biases aside, there is simply more value in an iPhone purchase than a BlackBerry. At the end of the day, you're buying more than just hardware or an OS label.

So yes, Apple can charge more. And they should be able to.

Those who cannot pay a ton will simply get a smaller SKU. 64 GB SKU are nice and you aren't making an Apples to Apples comparison anyways. Most people who buy phones with SD slots never put one in there, lol.

I'm not saying that Apple's products aren't superior. I know they are. While I personally do not like iPhone, I recognize their value and can understand why someone would want to buy one. I admit that the iPhone does do some things (apps, media, camera, etc.) better than a BlackBerry. I was not trying to compare the phones based on what they could and couldn't do - I was merely looking at their prices as a consumer who is hard-up for cash. Sure, it seems like you'd HAVE to compare the functionalities of each device in order to make a price comparison; but I was purely looking at it in terms of the following: "as far as phones go, these two products are vastly different in price range."

In my opinion, they're still phones. I refuse to shell out $919/$439 for a phone. I'd rather spend that on rent or to go towards a car, lol. The 5S at 16GB from Rogers is $229 for a two-year contract and is $719 in full. Yes, the Q10 is $700 but I would still really hesitate to spend $239 right away and then pay a cancellation fee or whatever on top of that.

Again, I have respect for the iPhone. It's probably one of the best, or the best, selling smartphones out there. I am certainly not naive to that fact. But I do think they're charging an arm and a leg for a phone that still texts, makes calls, and has Internet access; just like other phones. Sure, you get a better camera, bigger app store, etc. - I get that. But I STILL think, even with all those extra features, that this phone is extremely overpriced. In my opinion, every smartphone out there should be slashed by at least $200 outright; from BlackBerry smartphones to Android ones. Let's be honest: lots of us only use the phones we have in our hands for only a year or so before we upgrade; or we have two daily drivers and all cell phone companies/carriers know this; yet they still charge extreme amounts for phones nowadays. So I personally think we should just be able to pay at a reasonable price for every phone out there, especially since many of us will upgrade much sooner than our contracts allow.
    02-01-14 12:24 PM
    The Z30 has 16GB storage only. Don't be so extreme in your comparisons. Compare that to a 64GB (internal storage) Z30... if you can find one.

And of course that's what you buy.

You seriously have to buy that way to justify a BB purchase as a consumer these days.

Unless you get your self esteem from your phone, what else do you buy in a phone!? Hardware and Os... that's wtf a phone is isn't it?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 12:51 PM
    Unless you get your self esteem from your phone, what else do you buy in a phone!? Hardware and Os... that's wtf a phone is isn't it?

Posted via CB10
    Ecosystem. Services. Convenience. Interoperability.

This all adds value to a purchase.

02-01-14 12:54 PM

Resale value and customer service shouldn't be forgotten as well.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:22 PM

Well the whole ecosystem thing idk. I use a blackberry and my needs are met perfectly. Idk what you mean by services. I'd hope the service you describe are ones that rely on your phone's OS and hardware...
    Convenience... OS and hardware..

Interoperability: not even sure what that means... the phone is operating with what? a car? Still based on OS and hardware...

The phone =OS and hardware.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:29 PM
    Resale value and customer service shouldn't be forgotten as well.

Posted via CB10
    I've mentioned that in the past. I mentioned the price depreciation in this thread already, iirc

iOS services are accessible from Windows PCs in some instances. Services exist independent of hardware and specific OSes. However, yes they can be limited in platform support to provide more selling points for a hardware product. Apple does that fabulously.

Lots of people will pass simly because there is no first class support for Google services, for example.

02-01-14 02:30 PM
    I've mentioned that in the past. I mentioned the price depreciation in this thread already, iirc

I guess this applies to rich people. When I buy a phone I'm thinking 2-3 years of usage. Which by thst time I don't expect much from resale

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 02:32 PM
    I guess this applies to rich people. When I buy a phone I'm thinking 2-3 years of usage. Which by thst time I don't expect much from resale

Posted via CB10
    I used my Skyrocket for 18 months and sold it for $200 4 months ago.

You can get new Z10s for about that, and that phone is way newer than the S2 Skyrocket.

Resale value matters. It makes upgrading cheaper and makes upgrading earlier possible for way less money even if you're in contract. iPhones have phenomenal Resale Value and Samsung Devices retain value better than Blackberries.

You're talking about Rich People but show a complete disregard for the ways people with less invest in ways that give them more mileage out of their cash... I'm not continuing this conversation with you. It's hopeless.

02-01-14 02:47 PM

You can get new Z10s for about that, and that phone is way newer than the S2 Skyrocket.

Resale value matters. It makes upgrading cheaper and makes upgrading earlier possible for way less money even if you're in contract. iPhones have phenomenal Resale Value and Samsung Devices retain value better than Blackberries.

You're talking about Rich People but show a complete disregard for the ways people with less invest in ways that give them more mileage out of their cash... I'm not continuing this conversation with you. It's hopeless.

OK then. Let's just say the only reason I bought a playbook (my first blackberry) was the price drop. The reason I stayed with BlackBerry was because I love it. Nothing to do with resale and by the time I'm done with this, it will be obsolete in technological world.

I do understand now what you mean by iPhone resale value. I remember when I wanted a iphone4...admittedly I felt uncool.. the 4s had just come out and I couldn't believe the price if the 4. I decided to wait till 5 came out and it price still barely dropped...5s and now 4 is like 250.. not bad but I definitely don't know why anyone would want that by this point other than to feel Part of the crowd

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 03:01 PM
    OK then. Let's just say the only reason I bought a playbook (my first blackberry) was the price drop. The reason I stayed with BlackBerry was because I love it. Nothing to do with resale and by the time I'm done with this, it will be obsolete in technological world.

I do understand now what you mean by iPhone resale value. I remember when I wanted a iphone4...admittedly I felt uncool.. the 4s had just come out and I couldn't believe the price if the 4. I decided to wait till 5 came out and it price still barely dropped...5s and now 4 is like 250.. not bad but I definitely don't know why anyone would want that by this point other than to feel Part of the crowd

Posted via CB10
    The Resale value remains high because old models still deliver on their selling points due to apple's famed support cycles for devices.

It's not about the crowd. It's about value. They deliver there. Blackberry doesn't.

And a wifi playbook isn't comparable to a smartphone. That device was fire sold cause it was a failure. The ipad mini didn't have those issues even given its lower specs.

Love is often blind to logic. I it'd not about loving a product, it's about liking how the total experience enhances your quality of life. I thought that was why we used smart devices.

You're discounting objective advantages because of personal preference. I can prefer to eat ****, but that makes it neither smart nor healthy.

02-01-14 03:04 PM
    The Resale value remains high because old models still deliver on their selling points due to apple's famed support cycles for devices.

It's not about the crowd. It's about value. They deliver there. Blackberry doesn't.

And a wifi playbook isn't comparable to a smartphone. That device was fire sold cause it was a failure. The ipad mini didn't have those issues even given its lower specs.

Love is often blind to logic. I it'd not about loving a product, it's about liking how the total experience enhances your quality of life. I thought that was why we used smart devices.

You're discounting objective advantages because of personal preference. I can prefer to eat ****, but that makes it neither smart nor healthy.

I bought a playbook, loved the interface and everything compared to the ipad... when it came for time to drop my 3gs, I didn't have to buy a z10.. I bought it because I loved the whole platform. It's not blind love seeing as I. Have only bought 2 blackberry products EVER.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 04:34 PM
    I bought a playbook, loved the interface and everything compared to the ipad... when it came for time to drop my 3gs, I didn't have to buy a z10.. I bought it because I loved the whole platform. It's not blind love seeing as I. Have only bought 2 blackberry products EVER.

Posted via CB10
    That's wonderful. Some of us look a lot deeper than face value when choosing platforms or devices.

02-01-14 04:35 PM
    That's wonderful. Some of us look a lot deeper than face value when choosing platforms or devices.

Well then agreed. Several factors in that. For some familiarity is a huge factor. I get easily bored.

For some, popularity is.. Im adventurous.

Actually nvm I can see why I have a z10 now (:

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 04:42 PM

That was your doing I sold 2 broken screen z10s 1 for $180 and the other $140. Also when upgrading to the z30, I sold my z10 for 300.

Iphones hold there value well but bb10 devices aren't that bad.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    02-01-14 09:20 PM
    That was your doing I sold 2 broken screen z10s 1 for $180 and the other $140. Also when upgrading to the z30, I sold my z10 for 300.

Iphones hold there value well but bb10 devices aren't that bad.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    You do realize the Skyrocket is a whole year or more older than the Z10 s your Comparison just validates what I said. Fixing cracked screens are cheap so that's not a huge issue.

When I sold the Skyrocket it was already almost two years old and I got it months after release...

Let me now how much a mint Z10 sells in about a years time. My guess is it will not be as much as the phone I sold, which only went cheap because I wanted a same day sale on Craigslist to get rid of it and move carriers (I still made cash on the deal so I didn't care).

02-01-14 09:24 PM
    You do realize the Skyrocket is a whole year or more older than the Z10 s your Comparison just validates what I said. Fixing cracked screens are cheap so that's not a huge issue.

When I sold the Skyrocket it was already almost two years old and I got it months after release...

Let me now how much a mint Z10 sells in about a years time. My guess is it will not be as much as the phone I sold, which only went cheap because I wanted a same day sale on Craigslist to get rid of it and move carriers (I still made cash on the deal so I didn't care).

Well mint z10s are still about 280-350 so I don't think it's as bad as you are making it out to be

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 09:51 PM
    Well mint z10s are still about 280-350 so I don't think it's as bad as you are making it out to be

Posted via CB10
    Mint Z10's are selling 180-250 here. 350 would be laughable.

I just checked.

iPhone 4S 250-300 Mint. It's not even Comparable.

Most S3's are selling for more unless damaged or bad ESN.

02-01-14 09:58 PM
    I'm in agreement with the originator of this topic about how BlackBerry can and should do better although it is a good product. He's entitled to his opinion so no bashing please.
    ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Morty2264 likes this.
    02-01-14 10:10 PM
    If you don't like BlackBerry or its products, please state so in a civil manner. Please don't talk about the products like they're pieces of crap; like they shouldn't be worth a couple of hundred dollars just because you don't think so.

Yes, you are certainly entitled to your own opinion. I'm not saying you're not allowed to dislike BlackBerry. But some of us have spent hard-earned money on these devices, myself included, so for me and probably others to see people saying these devices are pretty much worthless is kind of a put-down.

For example: iPhone is not my favourite platform. But I'd never say they're worthless products or make them out to be crap purchases. I have close friends who have iPhones, and I do think they're pretty cool regardless of my personal preferences. So please, can we be a little bit more civil?

Posted via CB10
    matt0135 and mornhavon like this.
    02-01-14 11:05 PM
    Mint Z10's are selling 180-250 here. 350 would be laughable.

I just checked.

iPhone 4S 250-300 Mint. It's not even Comparable.

Most S3's are selling for more unless damaged or bad ESN.

On amazon It's between 370-350

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:14 PM
    On amazon It's between 370-350

Posted via CB10
    Amazon is not the place where I buy and sell second hand phones.

I can probably lyrics find a place where they're more but that would not change the fact that I can get one for 180$ right now in mint condition, locally.

02-01-14 11:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    You bought a discounted PlayBook, which was a great deal. Some of us early adopters who paid full price, and BlackBerry never delivered what they said they would, have a different experience based off that purchase.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 07:08 AM
    If you want better, then demand it in the beta zone app.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 10:23 AM
451 ... 1516171819