Good question.
    From what I've read, the answer is mostly yes.
    But since I am no dev, I am sure that some people will be able to answer that question to your full satisfaction.

That doesn't change the fact of Android and WP officially supporting such display resolutions, which puts BlackBerry at a disadvantage.

I wouldn't say that quadcores are mandatory, as we have seen with other manufacturers.
    A 64 bit dual core CPU is good as well.
    But in the segment BlackBerry competes in, at least pricing wise, a 1.5 year old CPU clearly doesn't cut it.
    What still is acceptable for a mid-ranged device, is a no-go in the high-end segment.

No matter if needed or not, for 600$, a top notch CPU/GPU has to be in the phone you sell.
    Even Apple knows at least that much about the market.
    Their GPUs have always been market leading, and especially the new 64bit CPU is groundbreaking, in terms of Apple being the first to market once again.

If memory is a bigger deal or not, is once again something I do not really know...
    The Samsung Note 3 has 3GB of RAM though.
    So yes, BlackBerry could probably use more RAM as well.
    If you mean memory, as in 16GB of storage not being enough....
    I'd probably say that I have a 64GB memory card anyhow.

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't Samsung make apple's cpu chip?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 09:09 AM
    Doesn't Samsung make apple's cpu chip?

Posted via CB10
    They produce the 64 bit A7 SoC, yes.
    Apple is still the first player in the smartphone sector, to have introduced a phone with a 64 bit CPU.
    Therefore I don't really understand why your question matters, in the context of what I have said.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 09:32 AM
    Apple is still the first player in the smartphone sector, to have introduced a phone with a 64 bit CPU.
    Therefore I don't really understand why your question matters, in the context of what I have said.

Posted via CB10
    I just think Samsung is dumb for that lol.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 09:36 AM
    I just think Samsung is dumb for that lol.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know about your background, but in economics, you call that a win-win situation for Samsung and Apple.
    Apple needs a manufacturer and Samsung needs something to produce.

Samsung not saying yes, to the offer of producing 10(0) of millions of SoCs for Apple, would have been dumb.
    This is business, and companies aren't fanboys.

Posted via CB10
    mikeo007 and JeepBB like this.
    01-31-14 09:38 AM
    I don't know about your background, but in economics, you call that a win-win situation for Samsung and Apple.
    Apple needs a manufacturer and Samsung needs something to produce.

Posted via CB10
    It could be an even bigger win if Samsung had been the first to introduce it no? Am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 09:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    And more importantly, it destroys Snapdragon 800.

It could be an even bigger win if Samsung had been the first to introduce it no? Am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    Apple designs it. Samsung manufactures it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    01-31-14 09:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, my edit.
    And how exactly do you imagine Samsung using Apple's IP, before them, without getting sued into the ground while losing every possible future manufacturing contract?

Samsung only manufacturers the SoC, they didn't design it...

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-31-14 09:43 AM
    Which therefore means that it destroys the CPU in the Z30.
    And GPU as well, of course.

Which further means that people who doubt that the iPhone is a product situated in the high-end segment, don't understand what they are talking about.

There is nothing to correct, I guess.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-31-14 09:46 AM
    Yes, my edit.
    And how exactly do you imagine Samsung using Apple's IP, before them, without getting sued into the ground while losing every possible future manufacturing contract?

Samsung only manufacturers the SoC, they didn't design it...

Posted via CB10
    Nvm I understand it now.. but I just thought Samsung could build something similar. I do get the win win situations now I just didn't initially understand they weren't the designer.

But again why give your rivals a huge advantage? Ah

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 09:46 AM
    Nvm I understand it now.. but I just thought Samsung could build something similar. I do get the win win situations now I just didn't initially understand they weren't the designer.

But again why give your rivals a huge advantage? Ah

Posted via CB10
    Because someone else would manufacture it for Apple.
    Therefore Samsung would lose a potential source of income, if they do not agree to produce for Apple.

In that situation, Samsung has 2 choices:
    A) Losing 10(0) millions of dollar because they are fanboys.
    B) Receiving 10(0) millions of dollar, because they aren't fanboys.

The only viable option is B), because the A7 SoC would be produced anyhow, with or without Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    01-31-14 09:53 AM

Well it doesn't completely destroy the 800 as Nokia'a Lumia 1520 comes quite close to the iPhone 5s as far as benchmarks and performance. But it does completely destroy BlackBerry's year old S4 Pro

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    01-31-14 10:14 AM
    Which therefore means that it destroys the CPU in the Z30.
    And GPU as well, of course.

Which further means that people who doubt that the iPhone is a product situated in the high-end segment, don't understand what they are talking about.

There is nothing to correct, I guess.

Posted via CB10
    So you are telling me iphones are high end in every department? I've had this discussion before but I can always argue it again

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 11:46 AM
    This thread is still alive?
    01-31-14 04:16 PM
    "With the Moto X, Motorola bucked the trend of higher CPU core counts (disregarding their driving-me-to-drink 8-core messaging for a moment) and instead opted for two high frequency CPU cores that ultimately delivered better thermally bound CPU performance than the quad-core alternative. Motorola also was the first Android vendor I came across to think of addressing the issue of random IO performance, in this case by deploying a NAND Flash aware file system (f2fs) on the Moto G and X. Finally, Motorola is one of very few Android OEMs that doesn't blatantly cheat in a whole host of terrible smartphone benchmarks."

http://anandtech.com/show/7726/some-...ty-from-google

Why fast dual core can be better than quad core for overall performance in a smartphone:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review/7

Benchmarks don't mean everything:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7384/s...oid-benchmarks

Thank you BlackBerry for not being a me too follower and providing your customers with a very sensible and balanced approach to your products. Sometimes less = more. Lower resolution = higher, smoother FPS, more eye candy all else being equal. Less unused, wasted cores = more frequency and thermal headroom for the cores that are actually going to be utilised today not next year or next 3 years when the phones are going to be obsolete and ready to be upgraded anyway. Some say the Z30 is overpriced for the specs, well to each his own. However the benchmarks are far from poor. The real benchmarks are the ones from the users who actually use and experience the product.

Look at the "lowly" Z10 punching it out with the big guns just for reference:

http://anandtech.com/show/7463/a-qui...ormance-on-z10

I currently have 35 tabs open as well as 8 active frames open and I'm typing this post on my Z10 with no lag, slowdown or discomfort whatsoever!

Detailed Z30 review for those who like reading and learning:

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_z...iew-1009p9.php

I wonder how many of the people who posted here have actually used, seen or own a Z30 in real life.

All copied and pasted from my BlackBerry Z10!

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn and SDTRMG like this.
    01-31-14 06:58 PM
    "With the Moto X, Motorola bucked the trend of higher CPU core counts (disregarding their driving-me-to-drink 8-core messaging for a moment) and instead opted for two high frequency CPU cores that ultimately delivered better thermally bound CPU performance than the quad-core alternative. Motorola also was the first Android vendor I came across to think of addressing the issue of random IO performance, in this case by deploying a NAND Flash aware file system (f2fs) on the Moto G and X. Finally, Motorola is one of very few Android OEMs that doesn't blatantly cheat in a whole host of terrible smartphone benchmarks."

http://anandtech.com/show/7726/some-...ty-from-google

Why fast dual core can be better than quad core for overall performance in a smartphone:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7235/moto-x-review/7

Benchmarks don't mean everything:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7384/s...oid-benchmarks

Thank you BlackBerry for not being a me too follower and providing your customers with a very sensible and balanced approach to your products. Sometimes less = more. Lower resolution = higher, smoother FPS, more eye candy all else being equal. Less unused, wasted cores = more frequency and thermal headroom for the cores that are actually going to be utilised today not next year or next 3 years when the phones are going to be obsolete and ready to be upgraded anyway. Some say the Z30 is overpriced for the specs, well to each his own. However the benchmarks are far from poor. The real benchmarks are the ones from the users who actually use and experience the product.

Look at the "lowly" Z10 punching it out with the big guns just for reference:

http://anandtech.com/show/7463/a-qui...ormance-on-z10

I currently have 35 tabs open as well as 8 active frames open and I'm typing this post on my Z10 with no lag, slowdown or discomfort whatsoever!

Detailed Z30 review for those who like reading and learning:

http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_z...iew-1009p9.php

I wonder how many of the people who posted here have actually used, seen or own a Z30 in real life.

All copied and pasted from my BlackBerry Z10!

Posted via CB10
    Nah nate for them user experience < specs sheet

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 07:04 PM
    And how well does the Moto X sell internationally?
    That phone actually validates my point even more of phones with a high-end price tag, needing high-end hardware.

I also said, since the Moto X was introduced, that it's an overpriced mid-ranged phone, and it obviously is still true right now.
    Wasn't there an official price drop considering the MSRP of the phone?
    Not to forget that Google resold Motorola in the last few days, which further begs the question of how successful they were with their phones.

Anandtech can say whatever he wants considering the specs being good enough, one thing doesn't change: higher specced devices for the same price, sold better.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 06:45 AM
    Nah nate for them user experience < specs sheet

Posted via CB10
    User experience would be fine if the device was priced according to the some of its parts. You can make a device with cheaper parts that in the end is better all around, Great, but you should be passing that savings on to the buyer, and advertising the hell out of the device to get it in as many people's hands as possible. Pricing not top of the line hardware with top of the line prices is what has been killing BlackBerry for years.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 07:40 AM
    User experience would be fine if the device was priced according to the some of its parts. You can make a device with cheaper parts that in the end is better all around, Great, but you should be passing that savings on to the buyer, and advertising the hell out of the device to get it in as many people's hands as possible. Pricing not top of the line hardware with top of the line prices is what has been killing BlackBerry for years.

Posted via CB10
    I'd like to say that you can actually get away with that if you are top dog... blackberry used to get away with it and apple still does.. and my example is... for years apple released almost the same type of phone every 6 months and got away with it. difference is blackberry is now getting caught since they aren't the popular choice anymore...people don't just blindly follow them

Posted via CB10
    Morty2264 likes this.
    02-01-14 08:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    Apple designed the A7 in house. If they took it, Apple would destroy Samsung with more lawsuits.
    02-01-14 08:09 AM
    Apple designed the A7 in house. If they took it, Apple would destroy Samsung with more lawsuits.
    I understood that now.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 08:21 AM
    I'd like to say that you can actually get away with that if you are top dog... blackberry used to get away with it and apple still does.. and my example is... for years apple released almost the same type of phone every 6 months and got away with it. difference is blackberry is now getting caught since they aren't the popular choice anymore...people don't just blindly follow them

Posted via CB10
    You know, I was looking at Rogers wireless phones on their website, and the iPhone 5S 64GB is $919 off-contract, and $439 with a select two-year plan. I thought it was steep when I paid $200 for my Q10! That's over twice the amount I paid, and still higher than my cancellation fee for upgrading early. I don't get why the iPhone can sell its prices at almost $1000 (to an unemployed student like me, $919 is A LOT of money and pretty darn close to $1000); but people complain that BlackBerry is too expensive. Is it just because iPhone is "cooler"? If it is, it's like Nike all over again and the stupid high school mindset can still prevail past high school... .

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 10:18 AM
    You know, I was looking at Rogers wireless phones on their website, and the iPhone 5S 64GB is $919 off-contract, and $439 with a select two-year plan. I thought it was steep when I paid $200 for my Q10! That's over twice the amount I paid, and still higher than my cancellation fee for upgrading early. I don't get why the iPhone can sell its prices at almost $1000 (to an unemployed student like me, $919 is A LOT of money and pretty darn close to $1000); but people complain that BlackBerry is too expensive. Is it just because iPhone is "cooler"? If it is, it's like Nike all over again and the stupid high school mindset can still prevail past high school... .

Posted via CB10
    I agree. We forget sometimes that blackberry is a firm at the end of the day and needs to make a profit in order to continue doing business. Yes maybe prices should be lower but like you say when you put it into apples perspective how much lower do you really want blackberry to go? I don't doubt that blackberries margin on their hardware is still high however I think it would be a bad move to lower prices further since we would run into more problems like deteriorating quality. Mind you they shouldn't keep the costs up just to make a phone last forever since they go out of date 6-12 months down the line. It's all about balance. The blackberry balance haha.

Posted via CB10 on my awesome new Z30!
    Morty2264 and SDTRMG like this.
    02-01-14 10:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    Apple designed the SoC. Samsung just produces it. The A-Series SoCs are custom designed. Samsung has their own Exynos SoCs, which historically have also been famed for their great performance (especially GPU performance).

Qualcomm for LTE integrated faster and moved to a smaller manufacturing process faster (equals better battery life and less heat) so that is why OEMs used their SoCs in the phones in markets with greater LTE penetration.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    02-01-14 10:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    All biases aside, there is simply more value in an iPhone purchase than a BlackBerry. At the end of the day, you're buying more than just hardware or an OS label.

So yes, Apple can charge more. And they should be able to.

Those who cannot pay a ton will simply get a smaller SKU. 64 GB SKU are nice and you aren't making an Apples to Apples comparison anyways. Most people who buy phones with SD slots never put one in there, lol.

mornhavon likes this.
    02-01-14 10:48 AM
    All biases aside, there is simply more value in an iPhone purchase than a BlackBerry. At the end of the day, you're buying more than just hardware or an OS label.

So yes, Apple can charge more. And they should be able to.

Those who cannot pay a ton will simply get a smaller SKU. 64 GB SKU are nice and you aren't making an Apples to Apples comparison anyways. Most people who buy phones with SD slots never put one in there, lol.

No when I'm buying a phone I'm buying hardware and os label. All the other mumbo jumbo that you get might be a bonus but not a life or death deal! Let's bee real. Z30 off contract is still 200-400 less expensive. You could buy a phone with that.

I could have gotten 5 z10s (now with the dropped prices) or 2 initial z10s with that money

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:52 AM
451 ... 1415161718 ...