******EDIT (or addition you can say)**********
    Here is another point. I made a thread back in the day complaining about the slow boot up times for BB10. over 2 minutes since the Hub took FOREVER to start up. People burned me saying it needs to take that long to go through security checks and Android and ios can boot up fast since it doesnt care about security. Now in the newest 10.2.1 update, the Hub fires up in a snap, which is really nice. But again I see no one here saying "Hub starts up too fast now, its not going through the security checks!!"

So all I am saying is, if BB is worse than the competition in some aspect, dont defend them by saying its for security or battery life or what not, demand CHANGE! And demand better!! Look at OS 10.2.1 its freakin awesome.

The Z30 is a decent device. I used it, but in my personal opinion I like the Z10 a lot more due to the screen resolution and size. My main topic of concern is we need to stop with the "good enough" attitude and the "you cannot tell the difference" attitude. And stop berating and attacking people that are asking for better hardware.

I go around the forums and see some people raise valid criticisms of the Z30 (mainly its screen resolution) and I see them instantly get attacked. Many people say you cannot tell the difference between a 720p screen with 295ppi vs a 1080p screen with 441ppi, claiming its just a marketing term. Ummmm are you kidding me??? Like honestly have you guys seen a Galaxy S4 and a Z30 side by side? The Z30 screen looks awful compared to it.

Another is the "good enough" attitude. When it comes to CPU's for example, an S4 and its Quad/Octacore is much faster when it comes to rendering maps/images/editing than a Z30. But again people say the dual core is good enough to get the job done.

Ok so I want you guys to go back in time when the Z30 was rumored as the Aristo. Look down in the comments.

Flagship BlackBerry A10 rumored to be arriving later this year | CrackBerry.com
    BlackBerry 10 Aristo spec sheet appears, calls for Quad-Core Krait | CrackBerry.com

Everyone was clamoring on about quad core CPU's, 1080p displays because why? Because they are necessary and its what the market wants (It is what we wanted on CB!!). No one back then said "Quad core??? Too much for me, lets bump it down to dual core its good enough. Also the screen, bring it down to 720p because really 1080p makes no difference". So I feel like BB can literally put out anything and many people on Crackberry will be happy with it and justify below par phones with some weird reasoning.

My reason for this post then is this. If we want to move forward and make BlackBerry a success again, we on Crackberry, the most hardcore users need to demand the best from BB and John Chen & Co. Demand them to put out the best spec, the most secure, and the best built phones out on the market. We really wont get there if we still hold onto this good enough attitude.
    I totally agree with you. No matter how you put it, a better screen or a faster processor doesn't detract from the experience - it enhances it. So why say that what we have is enough? In this industry, you can't make a phone that is 'acceptable' or 'enough for my needs'. You need a phone that at the very least can compare with other phones. I mean, the Z30 is BlackBerry's FLAGSHIP phone. For the best phone the entire company can offer, doesn't it seem a bit disappointing? Especially with BlackBerry's terrible reputation and image, they can't afford to make a phone with 'passable' specs.

Nobody can honestly say that the Z30 is the best phone in the market. They can say it's the best for their needs or preference, and that it all depends on opinion, but when it comes to making the actual best PHONE, BlackBerry has a lot of work to do. You can't just blindly love anything BlackBerry puts out, you have to be honest and admit that there is room for improvement and that what is 'enough' actually isn't really enough. I know it's hard to not counter the amazing amount of negativity aimed at the company, but deluding yourself isn't really going to help either. The screen is a big disappointment for me, which is why I'm waiting for the next phone they put out. It's a good phone, but its just not amazing.

Posted via CB10
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-29-14 10:41 PM
    I totally agree with you. No matter how you put it, a better screen or a faster processor doesn't detract from the experience - it enhances it. So why say that what we have is enough? In this industry, you can't make a phone that is 'acceptable' or 'enough for my needs'. You need a phone that at the very least can compare with other phones. I mean, the Z30 is BlackBerry's FLAGSHIP phone. For the best phone the entire company can offer, doesn't it seem a bit disappointing? Especially with BlackBerry's terrible reputation and image, they can't afford to make a phone with 'passable' specs.

Nobody can honestly say that the Z30 is the best phone in the market. They can say it's the best for their needs or preference, and that it all depends on opinion, but when it comes to making the actual best PHONE, BlackBerry has a lot of work to do. You can't just blindly love anything BlackBerry puts out, you have to be honest and admit that there is room for improvement and that what is 'enough' actually isn't really enough. I know it's hard to not counter the amazing amount of negativity aimed at the company, but deluding yourself isn't really going to help either. The screen is a big disappointment for me, which is why I'm waiting for the next phone they put out. It's a good phone, but its just not amazing.

Posted via CB10
    I can say the z30 is the best phone on the market. You act as if all the other phones out there have this certain checkmark that they meet!

IPhone 5s is very mediocre spec wise but I don't see people whining.

Infact once you think about it, it takes a month, or 2 for a phone to go from spec-ruler to outdated. BlackBerry just like apple are more of software rather than hardware phones. Imo they lost their market share because their software was stale and silly compared to the competition. And At some point those quadcores and octocores do nothing for you except bragging rights between your Nerdy friends.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 11:50 PM
    I can say the z30 is the best phone on the market. You act as if all the other phones out there have this certain checkmark that they meet!

Infact once you think about it, it takes a month, or 2 for a phone to go from spec-ruler to outdated. BlackBerry just like apple are more of software rather than hardware phones. Imo they lost their market share because their software was stale and silly compared to the competition. And At some point those quadcores and octocores do nothing for you except bragging rights between your Nerdy friends.

Posted via CB10
    What makes the z30 the best phone on the market? Just curious
    Specs don't matter really. The moto X has the same specs as the z30 and is equal in performance. It actually has more features than the z30.
    The kicker is in the price. The z30 is not worth what BlackBerry is charging. You can point to the iPhone and say the same, and you would be right. But overpriced products is what turned me off apple and as a result I chose BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 01:24 AM
    What makes the z30 the best phone on the market? Just curious
    Specs don't matter really. The moto X has the same specs as the z30 and is equal in performance. It actually has more features than the z30.
    The kicker is in the price. The z30 is not worth what BlackBerry is charging. You can point to the iPhone and say the same, and you would be right. But overpriced products is what turned me off apple and as a result I chose BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Well I found the moto very disappointing imo. Nowhere near as good. I loved the s4 though. What makes the z30 good? The antenna for one. Honestly it's all in the user experience. I loved my z10 and getting to use a z30 was amaze ballz. It's true specwise it fails but apart from the subpar camera (only in the dark) I don't see anything "spec wise ". Lumia destroyed everyone with camera but eh I didn't want to be a photographer.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 01:45 AM
    There is no parity and these features are what many of us use 75% of the time. Many email features I have and use every day are missing from both iOS and WP8.

Why can't people understand that to a select few, communication and efficiency are more important than Instagram?
    Why can't you understand that "a select few" is a pretty insignificant number in the smartphone market. We understand there are differences, but the people to whom it matters keep talking as if it should be a show stopper for everyone else. It's not 2005 anymore. Things have changed, and "a great email client" is hardly a selling point in the Consumer market.

Most consumers have largely moved on from email as a primary means of communication, and certainly aren't power users of it.

Kids do not spend their days buried in email. We did that back in 1998. They aren't doing that in 2014. Frankly, they don't care how great the email client in BB10. Email isn't a killer app/feature in the modern world. Messaging apps are more secure, faster, and cheaper to use with much better feedback and status descriptors than email.

And if they need those features there are other non niche options like Android where they can get them whilst still retaining superior developer support and access to superior services and media ecosystems.

I'm not sure why you're still raging about this email stuff. It's been almost a month now. We get it. We just don't care as much as you do, like most other people (at least outside of this forum where many would agree just cause of your leaning) don't.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 and mornhavon like this.
    01-30-14 02:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    The 5S is not mediocre spec wise.

The only thing that stands out is screen size and resolution. No OEM has ever put 720p on a 4" screen. It makes as much sense as putting 1080p on a 4.3" screen - also never done cause it would be a waste. Most I've seen on Android at that size (4") is qHD. The first 720p phone was the Rezound @ 4.3".

Not counting the screen resolution, which makes sense at that screen size (the 5S has a higher PPI than the Z30), the 5S hardware is clearly a notch above the Z30.

kbz1960 likes this.
    01-30-14 03:08 AM
    The Bottom line is its about what you feel comfortable using, period. The issue I find here in the USA is the carriers and the majority of the consumers have all but abandoned the BlackBerry brand.

IOS and Android are household names here and most folks based on what their friends and family are using won't even look at trying something different.

I have Macs in my business and used the iPhone platform for a couple of years. Recently I have grown tired of the stale OS and lack of willingness to change by the software gurus at Apple.

Since putting IOS 7 on my 5s, I have had multiple restarts and software glitches with the device. The problem is most folks will put up with these issues because they love the device and all of their friends are using them now, just like BlackBerry back before the competition came in.

I switched back because I wanted something different that provides me with solid messaging and social app functionality and based on these needs, the BlackBerry z30 and 10.2.1 are it.

I like the hub, peek,swipe and gesturing functions. The 10.2.1 update is far better then 10.0.0 that was on my z10 I bought on the launch day last year.

Yes I have a love hate relationship with BlackBerry,but I decided to give them another chance and so far with the z30 I am not regretting it one bit. So what, the z30 doesn't have the all latest and greatest spec,s? Who cares!!! It has what I am looking for and as a consumer, that's all I can ask for.

Sent from my z30 on T Mobile USA
    01-30-14 04:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    There's honestly no way that the Z30 is the best smartphone on the market. It's a mid range phone at best with premium pricing. The screen and camera are both completely underwhelming and putting a year old chipset in a supposed high end phone is another genius BlackBerry move. Cmon.

And no, the 5s isn't mediocre. The Z30 is the definition of mediocre. The 5s has a 64 bit processor, a great GPU, and some impressive camera specs if you're into that.

I also don't entirely agree that BlackBerry went down because of the OS. Yes, it was stale, but the main reason is apps. I can bet people still would have bought it if they had the apps that they became reliant upon from iOS and Android.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    kbz1960, mornhavon, donemt and 1 others like this.
    01-30-14 05:58 AM
    Why can't you understand that "a select few" is a pretty insignificant number in the smartphone market. We understand there are differences, but the people to whom it matters keep talking as if it should be a show stopper for everyone else. It's not 2005 anymore. Things have changed, and "a great email client" is hardly a selling point in the Consumer market.

Most consumers have largely moved on from email as a primary means of communication, and certainly aren't power users of it.

Kids do not spend their days buried in email. We did that back in 1998. They aren't doing that in 2014. Frankly, they don't care how great the email client in BB10. Email isn't a killer app/feature in the modern world. Messaging apps are more secure, faster, and cheaper to use with much better feedback and status descriptors than email.

And if they need those features there are other non niche options like Android where they can get them whilst still retaining superior developer support and access to superior services and media ecosystems.

I'm not sure why you're still raging about this email stuff. It's been almost a month now. We get it. We just don't care as much as you do, like most other people (at least outside of this forum where many would agree just cause of your leaning) don't.

Do you close any deals on WhatsApp? Do you send invoices on WhatsApp? Do you send your CV on WhatsApp? Do you give people quotes on WhatsApp? Right, you were saying?

I never said this should be a show stopper for everyone. It is for me and others like me.
    01-30-14 08:15 AM
    Having had a BlackBerry for many many years since the side pager model I can say that I've had a love/hate relationship with the various platforms and models both using them in the business world and in the medical one (I'm an EMT). I have seen the gaps in BlackBerry's appeal in both worlds by being able to see the failure of Blackberry to recognize what is needed as far as business apps and those used in the medical/fire services.
    For instance the business world has grown with the everyday user needing more and more required tools that are lacking on my 10 devices such as true banking, communication and travel apps that keep the business user up to date with our clients and each other (and no I do not side load anything). Secondly, as an EMT I have seen many apps that are available in the medical world just totally absent in BlackBerry. Most medical apps allow both the doctors at the receiving hospitals and the medics/EMTs in the field bring patients into facilities communicate with each other and be able to transfer data more efficiently with certain apps that are not available on BlackBerry.
    And lastly let me point out another weakness or lacking that being in the educational field. My nieces and nephews in college all have apps on their iPhone (s) that allow them to communicate with their professors and receive work loads, assignments, grades and study passouts ect more efficiently and quickly. These are seen not on just their campus but on many others since these apps give them (the college students/professors) the ability to transfer data and studies between themselves and others as well as libraries and other bodies on campus. This is something that BlackBerry needs to address since the college students are comfortable using platforms which accomodate these apps and will continue to use those platforms /devices after graduation. BlackBerry has placed a great contribution to university enrichment and I think it time to enrich the necessary apps for the students to use.
    Now before the hate replies start coming alow me to say that as someone who has had a BlackBerry from its infancy up to the new Q10 I've always been one to cher their advantages as well as point out any shortcomings and be honest where I have to. In business this keeps you ahead of the game with both eyes open and alive. I haven't received the new update yet and am waiting to see the improvements and I hope that BlackBerry simply keeps improving and keeps up with the demands placed on any communications device in this "it should of been out yesterday " world. And by the way I have no plans on leaving my Q10 and leaving Crackberry where I can laugh, gain insight and just enjoy a darn good fan site.
    Last edited by donemt; 01-30-14 at 08:35 AM.
    01-30-14 08:25 AM
    I'm not interested in keeping up with the joneses. If you are, go and buy an Android device. I have no intention of paying for something I don't need. That's like when multi core processors came out people believed that a computer wasn't good unless it had a lot of cores. So we had idiots paying for quad-core machine to use something like Word 2007 which can only recognise one core. People purchased multiple graphics cards and bridged them using ATI Crossfire etc., only to realise that the games they play can only utilise one card. No performance gains, but they could say they had a "top if the line" machine. Hyacinth Bucket went off the air years ago but her stupidity lives on.

Response crafted in seconds on a Z30
    What's nice about the Z30 is that BlackBerry balanced it where it would actually matter the most. It's very well balanced in my opinion. Higher clocked Dual core CPU is much more tangibly beneficial in the real world today than a lower clocked Quad core in addition to that it results in less gimmicks and wasted resources in order to keep power and heat under control (I'm talking about stuff like bigLITTLE here). It has a better GPU compared to the Z10 and that better GPU only has to run games at a native res of 720p vs 1080p. That means better frame rates and/or more eye candy and special effects in games for you, yes you even all of you who complain. The lower performance (smoothness) and effects quality (eye candy) disadvantages of 1080p on a screen that small would be much more noticeable than the slight advantage in resolution. It's a tradeoff and BlackBerry chose the options that will actually result in a better overall user experience. Better battery life is another tangible benefit that comes out of going with a slightly higher clocked dual vs slightly lower clocked quad core. Just remember also that those quad core SOC don't run at their maximum clock speeds all the time. The dual core might easily be able to spend more time at near it's peak clock speed. Besides the SOC there are so many other things which BlackBerry got right with the Z30 in the name of providing a better customer experience. The sound system is another one of them. Every time someone compares the Z30 to the 1080p screen on another flagship or high end device, they should automatically compare that device's audio system to Z30 and see how it stacks up. To me sound matters a lot as well to the overall, everyday experience not to mention reception and call quality. Paratek Antenna Technology anyone?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 08:37 AM
    There's honestly no way that the Z30 is the best smartphone on the market. It's a mid range phone at best with premium pricing. The screen and camera are both completely underwhelming and putting a year old chipset in a supposed high end phone is another genius BlackBerry move. Cmon.

And no, the 5s isn't mediocre. The Z30 is the definition of mediocre. The 5s has a 64 bit processor, a great GPU, and some impressive camera specs if you're into that.

I also don't entirely agree that BlackBerry went down because of the OS. Yes, it was stale, but the main reason is apps. I can bet people still would have bought it if they had the apps that they became reliant upon from iOS and Android.

Well notice for one how we considerably ignore the crappy battery life on the 5s? Or the ridiculously still tiny screen... that's part of specs no?

Also again most people I talked to didn't even talk about apps. The whole reset and battery pull was just too much! Initially had nothing to do with apps as much as the user experience. Os7 sucked a55

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 08:55 AM
    Well notice for one how we considerably ignore the crappy battery life on the 5s? Or the ridiculously still tiny screen... that's part of specs no?]
    Crappy battery life?

That's more than double the battery life I get on my Z10, all while using the 5S much more.
    mornhavon and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-30-14 09:00 AM
    Crappy battery life?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psrjhofewe.png

That's more than double the battery life I get on my Z10, all while using the 5S much more.
    When did z30 become z10?

Also depending on what you do I could make my z10 last all day as well.. smh what about the screen huh? Or the fact that they don't even have a damn HDMI port? Yea that's not spec either

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 09:05 AM
    When did z30 become z10?
    I never said it did, I just made a comparison to my Z10 was all.

Also depending on what you do I could make my z10 last all day as well.. smh what about the screen huh? Or the fact that they don't even have a damn HDMI port? Yea that's not spec either

Posted via CB10
    I have almost 4GB of data used so far and I'm half way through my cycle, I used 15GB of data last month. I use my phone CONSTANTLY. I stream music for almost 5 hours daily, plus browse, email and tons of messaging.

I can't make my Z10 last more than 8 hours.

I don't care about an HDMI port, I have an Apple TV. What about the screen? It's smaller, but it has a higher PPI than the Z30 and IMO has much better color accuracy. Different strokes for different folks. It's 2014, I wouldn't take a device with a screen with less than 300ppi, when 90% (for the price range) have much higher. Just like someone else wouldn't buy a screen that's only 4inches.

Shake your head some more, it's good for your brain.
    Last edited by avt123; 01-30-14 at 09:31 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-30-14 09:14 AM
    Well notice for one how we considerably ignore the crappy battery life on the 5s? Or the ridiculously still tiny screen... that's part of specs no?

Also again most people I talked to didn't even talk about apps. The whole reset and battery pull was just too much! Initially had nothing to do with apps as much as the user experience. Os7 sucked a55

Posted via CB10
    I've heard fairly good battery life reports on the 5s. Go check on iMore. And the smaller screen isn't a spec, it's a personal preference. And remember the almost endless NATIVE apps supply on iOS.

01-30-14 09:15 AM
    I never said it did, I just made a comparison to my Z10 was all.

I have almost 4GB of data used so far and I'm half way through my cycle, I used 15GB of data last month. I use my phone CONSTANTLY. I stream music for almost 5 hours daily, plus browse, email and tons of messaging.

I can't make my Z10 last more than 8 hours.

I don't care about an HDMI port, I have an Apple TV. What about the screen? It's smaller, but it has a higher PPI than the Z30 and IMO has much better color accuracy. Different strokes for different folks. It's 2014, I wouldn't take a device with a screen with less than 300ppi, when 90% (for the price range) have much higher. Just like someone else wouldn't buy a screen that's only 4inches.

Shake your head some more, it's good for your brain.
    Yea does the apple tv come with the phone? I'm saying specwise even the z10 has a larger battery than the 5s... but that's the argument because the 5s is more efficient with battery usage than the z10. that's the exact thing I'm saying... the specs on the z30 make absolute good use of the system.

Again some people wouldn't take a screen as small as thst of 5s. Different strokes for different folks

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 11:11 AM
    Do you close any deals on WhatsApp? Do you send invoices on WhatsApp? Do you send your CV on WhatsApp? Do you give people quotes on WhatsApp? Right, you were saying?

I never said this should be a show stopper for everyone. It is for me and others like me.
    I don't use WhatsApp, so no. And did I ever mention them?

Your reply misses the point, anyways.

People like you are an endangered species. You already have a BB. Those people that don't, won't get one because of what you're going on and on about, cause they don't care about that.

kbz1960, mikeo007 and mornhavon like this.
    01-30-14 11:48 AM

Posted via CB10
    The screen on the 5 is almost the same size as the Z10 which you people called high end when it was released.

The internal specs of the 5S are clearly superior to the Z30.

It isn't even worth discussing. The 5S moved forward while BB put refurbished parts in their flagship.

01-30-14 11:52 AM
    The screen on the 5 is almost the same size as the Z10 which you people called high end when it was released.

The internal specs of the 5S are clearly superior to the Z30.

It isn't even worth discussing. The 5S moved forward while BB put refurbished parts in their flagship.

Bigger screen and battery isn't moving forward I suppose....

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 11:58 AM
    Bigger screen and battery isn't moving forward I suppose....

Posted via CB10
    I'm talking about the whole package which was widely reviewed to be rather lackluster from a specs perspective.

They moved from -7 to -5. Whoopdy do!

01-30-14 11:59 AM
    I'm talking about the whole package which was widely reviewed to be rather lackluster from a specs perspective.

They moved from -7 to -5. Whoopdy do!

Well the 5s didn't move the whole package forward I'm guessing. You can't be selective based on brands!

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 12:27 PM
    Well the 5s didn't move the whole package forward I'm guessing. You can't be selective based on brands!

Posted via CB10
    The 5S kept screen size and resolution, as expected. Everything else was upgraded, to pretty much new tech.

Z30 old SoC and the Z10's camera sensors with a lower PPI screen, among other things.

I'm not being selective. I stated as much in my earlier reply...

01-30-14 12:33 PM
    The 5S kept screen size and resolution, as expected. Everything else was upgraded, to pretty much new tech.

Z30 old SoC and the Z10's camera sensors with a lower PPI screen, among other things.

I'm not being selective. I stated as much in my earlier reply...

Why was it expected? Other smartphones boast bigger screens... and bigger batteries.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 12:39 PM
    Why was it expected? Other smartphones boast bigger screens... and bigger batteries.

Posted via CB10
    Because everyone knows apple has a predictable redesign-refresh cycle...?

01-30-14 12:41 PM
451 ... 1213141516 ...