Wrong. Lumia 920 launched at $449, as did all its variants on other carriers. With a $99 contract price.

All of them.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/11/6...g-release-date

"The Nokia pre-order pages are now live on AT&T's site, revealing the "no-commitment" (off-contract) pricing for both Lumias. The*Lumia 920 will be available for $449.99, while the*Lumia 820 can be had for $399.99. That's competitive when compared to similar Android and iOS devices, although obviously doesn't match the*LTE-less Nexus 4*for value."

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    It was cheap in the US, but not in the rest of the world. In the UK it was 450 pounds, only 30 pounds cheaper than a Z10. Again, contract prices are irrelevant. I've seen plenty of phones that are expensive with a contract and almost 30% cheaper than the competition SIM free. It all depends on what the networks want to sell to their customers.
    01-26-14 05:29 PM
    It was cheap in the US, but not in the rest of the world. In the UK it was 450 pounds, only 30 pounds cheaper than a Z10. Again, contract prices are irrelevant. I've seen plenty of phones that are expensive with a contract and almost 30% cheaper than the competition SIM free. It all depends on what the networks want to sell to their customers.
    I quoted off Contract prices...

Contract prices are most relevant here, though.

01-26-14 05:30 PM
    I quoted off Contract prices...

Contract prices are most relevant here, though.

Yes, me too. I was also replying to your previous post.

Contract prices are relevant to the consumer, but they are not set by the manufacturer. It's not something BlackBerry had control over, so I don't think it's worth discussing.
    ray689 and habs_fan like this.
    01-26-14 05:33 PM
    Just turned up the brightness on my Z30, it's far too bright for me, hard on the eyes, much prefer it on the lowest dim setting.

Z30 on 2.2.1.1925 in Canada
    Just a side note for those not under 10.2.1.1925 : we can now set the white balance in the settings.

Posted via CB10
    ray689 likes this.
    01-26-14 06:01 PM
    The z30 has a quad core gpu and dual core cpu, from what I understand ? No?

Posted via CB10
    Yes the Z30 is rocking the adreno 320 gpu quad core. The difference between the Z10's IPS LCD and the Z30's Super AMOLED display is night and day. Superb battery life. Colors are much more vibrant and true on the Z30 then the Z10. Totally makes you forget about the 295 ppi the z30 has!

IROC-Z30 But Mostly She Rocks Me!
    ray689 and Thunderbuck like this.
    01-26-14 06:23 PM
    Lots of people in here just knocking the z10 I have had mine for a year now and no lie I have had no problem with it at all my battery life is great. My cousin has the iPhone 5s her battery life is crap and that's what she says. I watch videos on my z10 and it is a great picture. All this is stuff is like people who spend thousands on three videos cards in a pc which is actually useless because the human eye absolutely not process what three video cards is doing. And for any one that can't wait a tenth of second for what dual core will do behind quad core well I don't know what to say to to that

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 06:24 PM
    It's like switching from an LCD tv to an LED tv

IROC-Z30 But Mostly She Rocks Me!
    01-26-14 06:25 PM
    We can play candy crush without sideloading too! (soon enough) or with a leak
    ray689 and Blacklatino like this.
    01-26-14 06:40 PM
    Should have gotten the K, overclocking can get you further down the road. I don't do anything to warrant needing 8 cores but I wish I'd gotten the i7 anyway after I cranked up my i5. And there's what drives the Android "spec race". I see what I've done with my i5, and now I want to see what I can do to an i7. I don't need that much power in the slightest, I just want to see the bigger numbers.

Attachment 241942

Posted via CB10
    The onus for the build was to get dvd video file conversion down from a couple hours on my old laptop to what is about 6-7 minutes on the new unit. The conversion program I use utilizes all 8 threads if available.
    01-26-14 07:08 PM
    The only part of your post that I disagree with is the assertion that BlackBerry 3rd party software problem is somehow limited to games, crappy movies and fart apps.

There is almost universal support for Android and IOS with the exception of exclusives. So in choosing either platform I wouldn't lose much.

My local bank supports both.
    My national bank supports both.
    All of my current cloud services are supported ie Drive, SkyDrive
    My carrier supports both platforms with third party accessories,and software.

It's very shortsighted to dismiss the importance of this type of compatibility. These are services that myself and a growing number off people use daily.

BlackBerry has been around alot longer than Android or IOS. Why do they get a pass?
    Right you are in that respect. What I should have said, and really meant was that if I found myself wanting or looking for fart apps, crappy movies etc. while speccing out the Z10, I'd be disappointed in myself. I neither have an app for my bank but just the other day I needed to do a quick transfer and the stock browser worked in a flsh, in an underdeveloped country no less. I still hold with my assertion that wanting BB to go down the garden path just to keep up with the joneses is detrimental to its recovery, and that I am under no delusion or denial in my choice of purchase.
    01-26-14 07:36 PM
    No. What drove the Spec race was the GPUs in mobile SoCs.

The Galaxy S actually had a worse "CPU" than Qualcomm's S2, and I think the S3 was at least as good as the Exynos in CPU performance. However, Samsung's Hummingbird and Mali GPUs blew away pretty much anything except Apple's A-Series GPUs. That made a huge difference in gaming, media applications, etc. but also now in general tasks since so much is hardware accelerated and can be offloaded to these fast SoCs.

One Intel Processor may be fine for someone who uses their computer normally, but try to play a game with the integrated graphics and you clearly see where the "Next Gen" Intel Integrated Graphics blows it away, for example.

Mobile Gaming, shift to mobile devices for content creation and consumption (i.e. on-device photo manipulation and video editing), and innovations in how GPUs are used in software (like web browsers) is what drove much of the spec race, and it's largely why enthusiasts still chase specs now.

Outside of the mundane increases in Screen Size or Resolution, and Adding more RAM... While an SoC may only increase marginally in CPU performance (S4 to S4 Pro, for example), its GPU performance increase is often much greater in magnitude. When people think GPU they think "Games" and "Toys" but these things have a huge impact on the performance of a phone and some software. We all seen just how much better Blackberry OS got when they finally added graphics Accelleration into the OS. It probably had as much effect on the performance of the phone as the bump in SoC specifications. It makes a huge difference.
    I know and agree with what you're saying here; I was aiming at a broader audience of buyers - the ones operating under the "it's better, you should buy it" mentality as well as those fluent in technology. There's a good many that have no idea there's a graphics chip in there or even what SoC means. All they know is that by the numbers on the faceplate in a store or website spec sheet something like a G2 would naturally be better than most of the other devices out there. And even if someone had absolutely no clue what they were reading, a rep isn't going to hesitate to tell them bigger is better, inside and out, you want MOAR, buy this gizmo. Apple can do this to an extent; but they don't really need to - what it appears to me is all that's necessary to goad buyers there is just add "new" in front of "iPhone", open and shut case (assuming they were in the mood to buy anyway). Even I do it, automatically translate "new" to mean "improved specs and efficiency" without checking because that's how it's been to date.

Anyway, not trying to browbeat your thought, just wanted to clarify.
    01-26-14 07:39 PM
    I know and agree with what you're saying here; I was aiming at a broader audience of buyers - the ones operating under the "it's better, you should buy it" mentality as well as those fluent in technology. There's a good many that have no idea there's a graphics chip in there or even what SoC means. All they know is that by the numbers on the faceplate in a store or website spec sheet something like a G2 would naturally be better than most of the other devices out there. And even if someone had absolutely no clue what they were reading, a rep isn't going to hesitate to tell them bigger is better, inside and out, you want MOAR, buy this gizmo. Apple can do this to an extent; but they don't really need to - what it appears to me is all that's necessary to goad buyers there is just add "new" in front of "iPhone", open and shut case (assuming they were in the mood to buy anyway). Even I do it, automatically translate "new" to mean "improved specs and efficiency" without checking because that's how it's been to date.

Anyway, not trying to browbeat your thought, just wanted to clarify.
    I understand your point send largely agree with your point of view.

Apple doesn't advertise CPU speed. They advertise simply the magnitude of the improvements. They don't even list RAM size in advertisements. They are focused largely on the user experience and software with the hardware being nothing but an enabler for that.

01-26-14 08:12 PM
    Yes, me too. I was also replying to your previous post.

Contract prices are relevant to the consumer, but they are not set by the manufacturer. It's not something BlackBerry had control over, so I don't think it's worth discussing.
    I doubt carriers were over pricing BlackBerry phones simply cause they can. They are in the business of selling phones, not sitting on inventory. Also, even the cheaper carriers like T-Mobile had the HIGHEST on and off Contract prices on their phones.

The carriers buy phones from BlackBerry. They aren't going to sell for significantly less than they paid. It makes no sense. Nokia and carriers, Apple and carriers, Samsung and carriers all sell for the same off Contract prices.

What leads you to believe BlackBerry is any different.

Their phones were just overpriced. It's that simple, unfortunately.

01-26-14 08:22 PM
    Agreed with op
    01-26-14 08:45 PM
    My Z10 has been great since last march. I never thought it was slow then and I certainly don't think it is now. With the latest features of the leaks I cant imagine a better OS. I'm a true believer of 'flow' and enjoy how productive my Blackberry helps me be on the move.

I just wish Blackberry would come up with a new phone with the same screen size of the Z10 in a smaller form factor with the same battery life. So count me in with the 'good enough' crowd. I love my Z10's functionality and I even like the battery life I get from it... hell, I even like the pictures it takes! But in all honesty I wish it was a tad narrower and shorter; same screen same thickness just something easier in my jeans pocket.

As much as I envy not having a Z30 (who doesn't like the very best?) it doesn't really fit my life.
    01-26-14 09:20 PM
    Lol all this is of course in your opinion, right? I have owned both the z10 and z30. I find nothing wrong with the screen.

No one on this forum has once said that the z30 has a better or equal screen to the s4. What is being said however is the z30 screen is not as bad as many make it out for be. Really. Its not. So I must be blind then, right?

Z30 is a much better phone than the z10 in every regard. Sure it's not as high ppi but it's got better color reproduction and most importantly a bigger screen! My z30 takes way better photos than the z10 as well. Oh and tell me how many times did you have to recharge your z10 daily? Ya exactly, thought so. I'm just going to keep enjoying my 20 hour battery life

In my opinion of course

Posted via my Z30
    I charge my z10 once every 16 hours. I consider myself a poweruser.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 11:10 PM
    Controlled tests done in the lab have conclusively proven, over and over, that once you get north of 300ppi, the human eye cannot distinguish any difference in resolution at normal viewing differences.
    But when it gets south of 300 one can tell.
    01-27-14 12:07 AM
    Not only can you tell but it looks like **** next to other high end devices.

It's ok to buy a mid-range device. it's not an attack on quality. BlackBerry users are not misinformed in deciding that a Z10/30 is best for them.

BlackBerry however needs to get a grip on pricing. BB10 mid-range hardware should not be sold as flagship. It's that simple. Specs matter when devices are being priced like high end. Especially all touch.

I am generally speaking an early adopter. BB10 hardware and price has so far kept me away. BB10 is an intriguing OS but given the lackluster hardware, support, and ecosystem I don't see the value.
    ajst222 likes this.
    01-27-14 01:17 AM
    Should have gotten the K, overclocking can get you further down the road. I don't do anything to warrant needing 8 cores but I wish I'd gotten the i7 anyway after I cranked up my i5. And there's what drives the Android "spec race". I see what I've done with my i5, and now I want to see what I can do to an i7. I don't need that much power in the slightest, I just want to see the bigger numbers.

Attachment 241942

Posted via CB10
    I have a dell xps, running core I7, with 8 cores and 8 threads. And even when I play super heavy games like "Hitman Absolution" and "Devil may cry 5", about 3-4 cores still remain idle. Trust me your core I5 is ok. What you need is a higher GPU, and that's what they did with the Z30.

From Zuri my Z10.
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    01-27-14 01:47 AM
    Lots of people in here just knocking the z10 I have had mine for a year now and no lie I have had no problem with it at all my battery life is great. My cousin has the iPhone 5s her battery life is crap and that's what she says. I watch videos on my z10 and it is a great picture. All this is stuff is like people who spend thousands on three videos cards in a pc which is actually useless because the human eye absolutely not process what three video cards is doing. And for any one that can't wait a tenth of second for what dual core will do behind quad core well I don't know what to say to to that

Posted via CB10
    Same here with my wife who's sporting a IP5S for work and Z10 for personal/privacy.
    She's not a power user, just a "normal user". She doesn't trick (or even fine tune) anything.
    At the end of the day, IP5S is dead, Z10 has 30%. She never spontaneously made any comparison between the screen quality. I asked yesterday. Result : "the same".
    P.S: you might think she uses more work phone, it's not ... anymore
    01-27-14 02:50 AM
    I came over from an iPhone 5s and I was also having both terrible battery life and restart issues. Yes, restart issues on IOS7. I had three restarts in two days.

I came back to BlackBerry because of the z30 and the 10.2.1.195 leak. I thought about the issues that BlackBerry is having and wondered about long term stability?

I honestly feel that BlackBerry is going to make it and I really don't care what other folks are using. I like my z30 and my brother likes his z10 and that's all that counts.

I really hope that BlackBerry can rebuild their name here in the USA? Only time will tell. Right now the z30 is set up the same as my IPhone 5s was and does things better and that's all I can asked for.

Sent from my z30 with 10.2.1.195
    ray689, deptech, SDTRMG and 1 others like this.
    01-27-14 03:16 AM
    You cannot say that unless you also give a distance. It is a function of the ppi and distance from the eye. With my Z30, I view it from a father distance from my eye than I did with my Z10. Using the "retina" calculation, A Z30 viewed from 12 inches and over you cannot tell. I view from Z30 at around 14 inches. The Z10's calculation makes it retina at 10 inches. I used to view my Z10 around 12 inches. So to my eye, there is no difference between the Z10 and Z30, there is no difference that the human eye can see.

If you are viewing your phone at closer than 12 inches, you are holding it too close. Get a eye checkup.
    01-27-14 06:39 AM
    I'm wondering how many of the people who agree with and "like"/"thanked" the OP have actually used the Z30? Or is this all based on the supposed need for big specs? I'm guessing it's the latter.

Posted via CB10
    I used the Z30 for more than a few hours, and I agree completely with the consensus among people not wanting to buy the device.

It's subpar for its price and market segment it tries to reach, through its price.
    A phone that only gets glorified on CB as a high-end device, even though it clearly is situated in the mid-range.

Why this would be so hard to believe for you, is beyond me.
    I actually think that the Z30 is so subpar for its price, that I will not upgrade from my Z10, even though I buy phones once or twice per year.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 01-27-14 at 12:13 PM.
    JeepBB and ajst222 like this.
    01-27-14 11:58 AM
    I uses the Z30 for more than a few hours, and I agree completely with the consensus among people not wanting to buy the device.

It's subpar for its price and market segment it tries to reach, through its price.
    A phone that only gets glorified on CB as a high-end device, even though it clearly is situated in the mid-range.

I actually think that the Z30 is so subpar for its price, that I will not upgrade from my Z10, even though I buy phones once or twice per year.

Posted via CB10
    Mars, can you explain specifically in what areas you find the Z30 to be sub par?

I have been using one since their release in Canada and I am very happy with its build and performance as my daily driver.
    01-27-14 12:11 PM
    I uses the Z30 for more than a few hours, and I agree completely with the consensus among people not wanting to buy the device.

Posted via CB10
    I could be wrong but it seems to me that , prior to the Z30's release, that MarsupliamiX was adamant that any new large phone should have 1080P. I am not surprised that he found the Z30 did not meet his expectations.

The reviews of the Z30 are fairly consistent. Here is an example:

While the build quality is great and the battery life is excellent, the camera is a let-down, and BlackBerry 10 OS, despite the improvements in 10.2 and some neat touches, lacks the maturity of popular mobile operating systems.

On the other hand most of the reviewers had few negative comments about the display. For example:

When reading emails, browsing the web and watching video, the Z30 is perfectly acceptable. That means that we don't have much to say about it either way.

It seems to me that the Z30 is the best BlackBerry to date but the main reason to buy or not buy is the OS.
    Bluenoser63 and Elite1 like this.
    01-27-14 12:28 PM
451 ... 910111213 ...