And another problem with the Z30 is that the screen is SO DIM! And I find the colors to be very dull as well.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    Dim? Not my Z30.
    Colors dull? Only if you're a fan of Galen Rowell's over saturation.
    deptech and SDTRMG like this.
    01-26-14 12:37 PM
    And another problem with the Z30 is that the screen is SO DIM! And I find the colors to be very dull as well.

My Z30 colors are fantastic, who wouldn't like 24 bit color depth, I tend to keep the brightness to its lowest level, easier on the eyes and the contrast is better, not to mention it improves battery life. The only time I would need to increase the brightness is in bright ambient situations, direct sunlight for example.

The advantages of AMOLED screens is the wider color gamuts ( more colors) and deeper blacks ( contrast).

Luv my Z30 screen.

Z30 on 2.2.1.1925 in Canada
    01-26-14 12:39 PM
    Dim? Not my Z30.
    Colors dull? Only if you're a fan of Galen Rowell's over saturation.
    The Q10 is brighter than the Z30 and that says something since the Q10 is a fairly dim phone itself. Compare that to the Z10 now.

And the colors just look really uninspired. A bit hard to describe but dull is probably the best word I can think of.

01-26-14 12:42 PM
    Am I old for still thinking it's cool that my cell phone has a camera AND an mp3 player?

Posted via CB10
    Not hardly! I think it's cool that I used to stand in a computer room whose power I now hold in my hand. The phone, camera, and music are all extras!
    01-26-14 12:43 PM
    Can we... just be happy with what we have..

The phone just has so many more advantages to be focus on other than the little that can be improved.

Posted via CB10 on my z10
    That's what got BB here in the first place.
    01-26-14 12:50 PM
    The Q10 is brighter than the Z30 and that says something since the Q10 is a fairly dim phone itself. Compare that to the Z10 now.

And the colors just look really uninspired. A bit hard to describe but dull is probably the best word I can think of.

I think we need to pinch ourselves and remember we're discussing cell phones.

Photo editing software can deal with brightness, contrast, saturation, tone, and to some degree, exposure.

I do agree with your assessment that the photos are slightly under exposed, which you know is 1000 times better than overexposure, when details are unrecoverable.
    01-26-14 12:51 PM
    I also recently built my own PC. I wanted the biggest bang in the smallest package possible, so I specced out an Intel mtx mobo, Samsung 840 pro ssds, high zoot Samsung ram, intel i7 3770S processor, various other top of class components. It has no vid card and the cooling is atrocious but the end result fit my needs - a somewhat future proof number cruncher. Specs mattered, though I could have gotten faster i/o ssds and ram, I chose the reliability specs as well for overall performance. Small cabinet required the 3770S, not the K. Number crunching doesn't need a high zoot monitor or wild graphics, and so on.
    So indeed, I know how to spec out something for what I will use it for. I'll admit I didn't exactly know what to expect real world wise when buying the Z10, but it proved to match what research I did, which was not disappointing. No self deception and Yes, it is good enough for my requirements. If I was married to iTunes and a Mac, I may have gone iPhone. If I doodled or was half blind ( I do wear cheaters), I'd probably go for a high res phablet. If I took copious amounts of photos, I may have bought a Lumia. But instead, I wanted to migrate my contacts and data from my old BBs, I wanted my friggin' email and texts trouble free, I wanted an OS layout I was familiar with, and I wanted it all in an up-to-date OS. Where have I lied to myself here or settled for just good enough when I bought the Z10? Oh, and I did buy it outright, talk about contracts and self delusion ... ( Beakman philosophy: when a product fails to perform to previous levels or promoted expectations, I have already then wasted my money on it and that product is therefore expendable).
    What I infer from the OP is that he really wants what everyone else has, and wants for BB what I consider a ball and chain handicap, to continue to try to compete in an event they have already lost: games, fart apps, crappy movies on a tiny screen and just basic diversions. BB is looking for its roots now, and so am I when I use their devices. I haven't found a shortcoming yet in using the Z10 pursuing that. If I needed games, fart apps, crappy movies on a tiny screen, and other non-events, then yes, I would have been dissapointed, but only with myself, not the damn phone.
    Last edited by Beakman; 01-26-14 at 01:15 PM.
    01-26-14 12:52 PM
    Just turned up the brightness on my Z30, it's far too bright for me, hard on the eyes, much prefer it on the lowest dim setting.

Z30 on 2.2.1.1925 in Canada
    01-26-14 12:54 PM
    I really could care less about all these phone specs, quad core, snapdragon and the rest of that BS.

I look at the device, how it feels in my hand, quality, how well the software works for my needs and warranty support.

The rest of that nonsense is just gimmicks to put more billions into the manufacturers pockets. The z30 and z10 are both great products.

The person buying a BlackBerry is looking for functionality and reliability and both the z10 and z30 are up to the task. 10.2.1.195 was a major step forward for BlackBerry.

I just hope they can rebuild some of their market share and brand name here in the USA. Most everyone I have showed my z10 and z30 to with the leak have been amazed. Most of then don't realize they can run the android apps and how smooth the latest OS is.

Let's quit arguing about high tech specs and focus on delivering the consumer a high end product worthy of the BlackBerry name. I think based on my experience with the z10 and z30. We are on the right track.

Sent from my z30 with 10.2.1.195
    You can offer a good product at a good price and move that product. You can offer a good product, with a tarnished branding at a high price and maybe get your shrinking base to buy it, but not move beyond that, especially if no one knows the phone even exists and the others are bombarding the airwaves showing why you buy their products. BlackBerry can't even get 20 percent of the base to move up even though we are over two and a half years passed the last high end BBOS7 devices being released. Now I think we will finally start seeing some adoption in the business and government space, but BlackBerry must address pricing with devices properly out of the gate, and not waiting to have to do severe discounts and write offs after selling nothing at the high price they are trying to do. They did this with the PlayBook, the Z10, Q10, Q5, and Z30 and all have had miserable sales. Build your brand back before trying to gouge the base.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 01:06 PM
    Z30 is a much better phone than the z10 in every regard.
    What happens if you forget to charge the phone? Can you pop another battery in the Z30 and continue on?
    01-26-14 01:20 PM
    What happens if you forget to charge the phone? Can you pop another battery in the Z30 and continue on?
    No but you can purchase a power bank rather than an extra battery and there you go. And this is actually better in my opinion.
    When I had my Z10, when replacing the battery I could say goodbye to the first 15-20% is about 15 minutes after the phone booted up and syncs. With the power bank, no problem. So if you are going to have an extra accessory anyway, the power bank with the Z30 is far superior also.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 01:25 PM
    The

There is a fire. Fire sale of BlackBerry, no one bought. Fire sale of playbook, z10, z30 next.

I agree with the OP, maybe not his choice of words. There are many who frequent these forums, who despite their criticism, see value in what BlackBerry/BB10 has to offer. It's disheartening that the company's continues to go down it's current path despite monumental losses.

BlackBerry is dismissive of the competition and many on these forums would continue to offer excuses for the company's failures.

I like Samsung Hardware but make no excuses for their God awful design choices. I like HTC hardware and make no excuse for it's bloated software. I've never used but am intrigued by BB10. I will not however make any excuse for their sub par hardware, high pricing and lack of 3rd party software.

Here's the ironic part. BlackBerry doesn't need diehards, they already have them. They need people like me to buy in.

BlackBerry retreating to enterprise is a red herring. Hasn't that always been the strategy? It almost seems like their trying to pump the stock price for a sale. Just my opinion of course
    "Hasn't that always been the strategy?" Would you say the Z10 represents an ideal device for enterprises? Would a company focused on enterprise fail to extend its engineering advantage with BES and allow EAS and other "MDM" solutions become "good enough"? BBRY chose to lead with the Z10, and it's obvious that the design, the OS (what made into BB 10 vs. what didn't) and marketing were catered to consumers. And unless organizations upgrade to BES 10, there's no support for Balance and the devices will connect to Exchange via EAS, just like with all the iOS and Android devices. Subsequently, many on this forum have argued that the Z10 and BB 10 devices in general would be a deprecation from the 9900 in terms of enterprise appeal.

There's a difference between focusing your corporate strategy on the enterprise sector vs. having enterprises represent a large part of your installed base. Enterprise has been a secondary audience and Chen is changing that. He recognizes that the core strengths of BBRY and the value proposition of its solutions simply do not have as much appeal to consumers in developed markets, but remain relevant in enterprise and government. However, the company has lost ground and risks losing even more ground if it continues to try and battle Samsung/Google, Apple, and Microsoft for consumer attention.
    01-26-14 01:34 PM
    I also recently built my own PC. I wanted the biggest bang in the smallest package possible, so I specced out an Intel mtx mobo, Samsung 840 pro ssds, high zoot Samsung ram, intel i7 3770S processor, various other top of class components. It has no vid card and the cooling is atrocious but the end result fit my needs - a somewhat future proof number cruncher. Specs mattered, though I could have gotten faster i/o ssds and ram, I chose the reliability specs as well for overall performance. Small cabinet required the 3770S, not the K. Number crunching doesn't need a high zoot monitor or wild graphics, and so on.
    So indeed, I know how to spec out something for what I will use it for. I'll admit I didn't exactly know what to expect real world wise when buying the Z10, but it proved to match what research I did, which was not disappointing. No self deception and Yes, it is good enough for my requirements. If I was married to iTunes and a Mac, I may have gone iPhone. If I doodled or was half blind ( I do wear cheaters), I'd probably go for a high res phablet. If I took copious amounts of photos, I may have bought a Lumia. But instead, I wanted to migrate my contacts and data from my old BBs, I wanted my friggin' email and texts trouble free, I wanted an OS layout I was familiar with, and I wanted it all in an up-to-date OS. Where have I lied to myself here or settled for just good enough when I bought the Z10? Oh, and I did buy it outright, talk about contracts and self delusion ... ( Beakman philosophy: when a product fails to perform to previous levels or promoted expectations, I have already then wasted my money on it and that product is therefore expendable).
    What I infer from the OP is that he really wants what everyone else has, and wants for BB what I consider a ball and chain handicap, to continue to try to compete in an event they have already lost: games, fart apps, crappy movies on a tiny screen and just basic diversions. BB is looking for its roots now, and so am I when I use their devices. I haven't found a shortcoming yet in using the Z10 pursuing that. If I needed games, fart apps, crappy movies on a tiny screen, and other non-events, then yes, I would have been dissapointed, but only with myself, not the damn phone.

The only part of your post that I disagree with is the assertion that BlackBerry 3rd party software problem is somehow limited to games, crappy movies and fart apps.

There is almost universal support for Android and IOS with the exception of exclusives. So in choosing either platform I wouldn't lose much.

My local bank supports both.
    My national bank supports both.
    All of my current cloud services are supported ie Drive, SkyDrive
    My carrier supports both platforms with third party accessories,and software.

It's very shortsighted to dismiss the importance of this type of compatibility. These are services that myself and a growing number off people use daily.

BlackBerry has been around alot longer than Android or IOS. Why do they get a pass?
    01-26-14 01:54 PM
    "Originally Posted by kbz1960Or you could have a juice pack and do the same thing."

Bulky.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    less so than putting a spare battery or a charger into your pocket each day and less time consuming than rebooting to swap batteries, searching for a plug socket or waiting by it for a few hours while it charges
    01-26-14 02:32 PM
    Like honestly have you guys seen a Galaxy S4 and a Z30 side by side? The Z30 screen looks awful compared to it.
    This must be an opinion, and not fact. Phone Spec's are a gimmick, a way for companies to hash it out against each other because of Android. They are all fighting for the piece of the Android pie, by way of phone spec's. When it comes down to OS, you can either choose an iPhone or a BlackBerry, regardless of spec's for example. At least people know that they are completely different phone OS's.

In regards to Android, you have HTC, LG, Sony, Samsung, just to name a few all fighting it out. Sure it would be nice to have a super charged spec'ed phone with Quad-Core, Octa-Core, 1080p 4GB Ram, etc., but how is one to benefit from such phone spec's when the actual OS lacks proper multi-threading support? In this case Android? How is that battery lasting when its already been proven that 1080p sucks battery power a lot more than 720p on an Android, or any phone for the matter?

720p vs. 1080p on such as small screen is a useless comparison, they are identical. I agree that pixels play a role for clarity, but lets be realistic, despite the S4 (MAYBE) looking better via its screen over the Z30, the Z30 still outclasses it by a long shot, and ends up being the better device. Oh ya my Opinion.
    ray689 and deptech like this.
    01-26-14 02:46 PM
    Given there were tons of Android flagships that ran JB 4.1.2-4.2.2 with only 1GB RAM I'm going to go with: "You're wrong."

Also, I don't think any Google Apps on Android are coded so terribly and bloated that things like Hangouts (even with SMS Enabled) are using over 170MB RAM, the Phone App 80MB, and PIM Services over 100MB. That just doesn't happen on Android devices.

Blackberry's developers need to do something about the amount of bloat in their code. It was immediately noticeable when they ported BBM to Android, as the app was using more RAM than anything else on my device except System - even more than other IM clients that did 3x more than it did.
    Screenshot so I believe you.
    01-26-14 03:03 PM
    Screenshot so I believe you.
    The Original GS2 and all of its variants were upgraded by Samsung and carriers to 4.1.2 + TW Nature UX. Clearly I have upgraded from the AT&T Skyrocket to the Verizon S3 since then.

The hone Ran Flawlessly with 1 GB RAM. The HTC One X is getting 4.2.2 and runs without issues with 1GB RAM. The galaxy Nexus has 4.3 with its 1GB RAM.

There are tons of mid range devices that run without a hitch not 1GB (Galaxy Express, which is a slightly downgraded Skyrocket on AT&T, for example).

Sorry, I cannot take screen shots on a phone I sold months ago.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=3YR84g_e

That phone has been on 4.1.2 for almost a year now.

Specs: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Sam...yrocket_id6515

1.5 GHz Snapdragon 3 SoC
    1024 MB RAM

Runs JB like a champ :-)

Equivalent apps do not use that amount of excessive RAM on Android.

It's obvious I didn't "Clear Memory" because the Facebook Notification is still there and the memory usage screen was the first screenshot I took in < one minute (notification bar on Active Applications confirms this). < 1GB RAM used (Android 4.3 + TouchWiz Nature UX - and you people call TouchWiz bloated?!)

The only apps I expect to show such unprecedented high Ram usage are browsers and media manipulation apps. The Ram usage of BlackBerry's software was something I'd have not expected, which is why I was taken aback by BBM's ram usage on Android.

I have never seen an IM client, PIM services, phone app, etc. use that much. That is why they needed 2GB in the Q5 while OEMs can stuff Android down to as little as 512 (but 1GB is pretty standard for mid-range devices). It's simply not all that efficient and I think the toolkits (like Cascades) have more to do with it than the actual platform itself.

You're welcome...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 01-26-14 at 03:32 PM.
    01-26-14 03:10 PM
    No but you can purchase a power bank rather than an extra battery and there you go. And this is actually better in my opinion.
    When I had my Z10, when replacing the battery I could say goodbye to the first 15-20% is about 15 minutes after the phone booted up and syncs. With the power bank, no problem. So if you are going to have an extra accessory anyway, the power bank with the Z30 is far superior also.

Posted via CB10
    Sound logic.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 03:14 PM
    We will have to agree to disagree on this topic! Often the people so obsessed with specs don't even KNOW WTF TO DO WITH IT. You want a DecaCore? Wait 2 months and something will come along. In case you haven't figured, the spec race is silly at best. If it runs your phone perfectly fine, you shouldn't be having a hard on about specs.

I don't see anyone babbling about how low end the 5s specs really is!! It seems just like yesterday that dual core were the next big thing.

Honestly from dual core to october core, what exactly is the average user gaining? Android fans are the ones who value this. How many apple fans flock to.line up for it based on specs? Windows phones?

What's the point ? Right now blackberry's name is in the mud to the point that no matter what spec they have, people will rarely give them.the light of day.

Posted via CB10
    Actually those ARM octa-core procs are pretty nifty if implemented correctly. With BIG.little architecture they're actually dual quads, one more powerful than the other. You then have the lesser quad handling low power activities and idling processes, and then when more juice is needed for gaming and the like, the greater quad kicks in. With current technology there isn't ever an instance where all eight would be in play. This way you can have 4 cores sipping battery life with a fairly low clock speed like 1.6GHz and the other four lighting up at close to 2GHz when more power is needed.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 03:23 PM
    I'm wondering how many of the people who agree with and "like"/"thanked" the OP have actually used the Z30? Or is this all based on the supposed need for big specs? I'm guessing it's the latter.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-26-14 03:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    I suppose, but as one who already finds the Z30 a bit too big, I'm not sure I'd want to further diminish this by adding a bank as well

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 03:30 PM
    Should have gotten the K, overclocking can get you further down the road. I don't do anything to warrant needing 8 cores but I wish I'd gotten the i7 anyway after I cranked up my i5. And there's what drives the Android "spec race". I see what I've done with my i5, and now I want to see what I can do to an i7. I don't need that much power in the slightest, I just want to see the bigger numbers.

Can we stop lying to ourselves?-ocstable.png

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 03:32 PM
    I'm wondering how many of the people who agree with and "like"/"thanked" the OP have actually used the Z30? Or is this all based on the supposed need for big specs? I'm guessing it's the latter.

Posted via CB10
    The same could be said about people who make baseless claims about other things regarding other platforms. I don't think your question or the responses to it really matters as that isn't the subject of the thread.

In order to use a Z30, you have to either buy it or know someone with it so you can give it a decent amount of time in your hands... And given the few amount sold (we can count the latter out for most people as a result of that) expecting people to either camp out in a carrier store and hug the Z30 or buyone to try it and waste their free 14-day exchange is a bit... ridiculous... don't you think?

Devices often have minutes to sell themselves in the hands of the use, with marketing working to give them as favorable a perception of the device as possible.
    JeepBB and ajst222 like this.
    01-26-14 03:36 PM
    The same could be said about people who make baseless claims about other things regarding other platforms. I don't think your question or the responses to it really matters as that isn't the subject of the thread.

In order to use a Z30, you have to either buy it or know someone with it so you can give it a decent amount of time in your hands... And given the few amount sold (we can count the latter out for most people as a result of that) expecting people to either camp out in a carrier store and hug the Z30 or buyone to try it and waste their free 14-day exchange is a bit... ridiculous... don't you think?

Devices often have minutes to sell themselves in the hands of the use, with marketing working to give them as favorable a perception of the device as possible.
    So owning it or "wasting" your 14 day exchange is ridiculous but coming on here and spewing baseless lies about how it's not up to par isn't? People who don't have experience with the device and I don't mean looking at it in the store for a few minutes, have absolutely no credibility when discussing the pros and cons. Hence why my question actually matters more than half the posts in the thread actually. So if people haven't bought it and used it then their claims aren't based on anything but some perceived need for big specs.
    And I didn't say people who make baseless claims about anything as being okay. Not sure where you got that from.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    01-26-14 03:44 PM
    Should have gotten the K, overclocking can get you further down the road. I don't do anything to warrant needing 8 cores but I wish I'd gotten the i7 anyway after I cranked up my i5. And there's what drives the Android "spec race". I see what I've done with my i5, and now I want to see what I can do to an i7. I don't need that much power in the slightest, I just want to see the bigger numbers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OCstable.PNG 
Views:	1273 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	241942

Posted via CB10
    No. What drove the Spec race was the GPUs in mobile SoCs.

The Galaxy S actually had a worse "CPU" than Qualcomm's S2, and I think the S3 was at least as good as the Exynos in CPU performance. However, Samsung's Hummingbird and Mali GPUs blew away pretty much anything except Apple's A-Series GPUs. That made a huge difference in gaming, media applications, etc. but also now in general tasks since so much is hardware accelerated and can be offloaded to these fast SoCs.

One Intel Processor may be fine for someone who uses their computer normally, but try to play a game with the integrated graphics and you clearly see where the "Next Gen" Intel Integrated Graphics blows it away, for example.

Mobile Gaming, shift to mobile devices for content creation and consumption (i.e. on-device photo manipulation and video editing), and innovations in how GPUs are used in software (like web browsers) is what drove much of the spec race, and it's largely why enthusiasts still chase specs now.

Outside of the mundane increases in Screen Size or Resolution, and Adding more RAM... While an SoC may only increase marginally in CPU performance (S4 to S4 Pro, for example), its GPU performance increase is often much greater in magnitude. When people think GPU they think "Games" and "Toys" but these things have a huge impact on the performance of a phone and some software. We all seen just how much better Blackberry OS got when they finally added graphics Accelleration into the OS. It probably had as much effect on the performance of the phone as the bump in SoC specifications. It makes a huge difference.
    01-26-14 03:47 PM
451 ... 7891011 ...