It's absolutely fine to be happy with what ur z30 does for you.

However, there will always be criticism and improvements that can be made to z30. I have experienced this personally myself. When u make such comment on here at crackberry, u get attacked like a pack of wild dogs descending on you, it makes for. A very unpleasant community...

It is a fact the z30 is not perfect. People have suggestions and improvements that can be made. They should be free to speak their mind here without getting attacked with the stupid, pathetic, well it works great for me so eff you. I mean really? Do we have to face such ridiculous responses from people here? There is most definetely delusion amongst some members here.. it's not everyone.. but there. R people who take criticism as a direct attack on blackberry.

I see where the op is coming from.

Posted via CB10
    that this thread is now three pages long and I have not seen this attack yet? Who let the dogs out woof woof!! or maybe this is what the OP should write about? *shrugs*
    01-25-14 06:10 PM
    that this thread is now three pages long and I have not seen this attack yet? Who let the dogs out woof woof!! or maybe this is what the OP should write about? *shrugs*
    The attacks are not on this forum... the op has raised a valid issue though...

Search the forums and you will see what I mean.. you won't be searching for long before you find examples.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 06:17 PM
    really? How so? Title says "Can we stop lying to ourselves"....how can I misunderstand that? Well if we are doing so, based on the majority of responses it must be a Beautiful Lie...
    I agree, the title is inappropriate. But that's trivial. Don't read too much into it, and read the post itself.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-14 06:20 PM
    The z30 is a 20 percent bigger z10, 10 + 20 is 30.

4.2 z10 display multiplied by 20 percent is 0.84.
    4.2 + 0.84 is almost 5 inches which is the z30 display.

5 inches divide by z10 4.2 inches gives you 19 percent.

Can't have a phone named z29, so they probably rounded and called it z30.

Posted via CB10
    I'd go for Z-29. it's cool, like "B-52" or "C4".
    01-25-14 07:17 PM
    As to the Z30, BlackBerry went with an amyloid screen, to save power which by the way is exactly what Apple is doing on their next devices.
    I assume you mean AMOLED. That has not been confirmed anywhere. What is your source?
    01-25-14 07:53 PM
    I'm a heavy Z10 user, and the poor battery doesn't even allow me increase the brightness, it's always on lowest. PPI this PPI that, how long can you look at the Z10 screen before it dies? Im going for a Z30 and nothing you say can stop me. @op

From Zuri my Z10.
    same here, i hate the horrible battery life.. it'll never last a whole day. whenever AT&T gets that Z30 in I'm jumping on it. Or somewhere else, either way. OP's got a point... Samsung's is prettier. But Z30 will fit my needs better. Has a better OS anyway.
    01-25-14 08:01 PM
    Amen OP!!! Anyone who says anything negative about BlackBerry is deemed a troll. There are negatives, you know.

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-25-14 08:02 PM
    I sure wouldn't mind having a bigger screen and battery. If the Z30 ever drops to the $200 range I think I'll be able to justify jumping the Z10 ship.
    01-25-14 08:10 PM
    I sure wouldn't mind having a bigger screen and battery. If the Z30 ever drops to the $200 range I think I'll be able to justify jumping the Z10 ship.
    That's the problem. The Z30 is a midrange device at best priced as a high end device.

01-25-14 08:13 PM
    Comparing a Z30 against the ace of retina iPhone 5S. Means approximatly 2 cm difference in viewing distance according to this formula. I don't really get the issue, I'm older and can't hardly focus at this close distances anyway.

Z30:
    Can we stop lying to ourselves?-screen-shot-2014-01-26-03.09.08.png

5S:
    Can we stop lying to ourselves?-screen-shot-2014-01-26-03.09.43.png
    RedFoxOne likes this.
    01-25-14 08:16 PM
    Comparing a Z30 against the ace of retina iPhone 5S. Means approximatly 2 cm difference in viewing distance according to this formula. I don't really get the issue, I'm older and can't hardly focus at this close distances anyway.

Z30:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 03.09.08.png 
Views:	722 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	241693

5S:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-01-26 at 03.09.43.png 
Views:	722 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	241694
    The 300ppi number is highly disputed. A lot of studies say the "retina" number is higher. I can see pixels from a foot away on the Z30. And it makes it worse if you ever find yourself using your phone a bit closer.

01-25-14 08:19 PM
    Its just as simple as power vs longevity. It's a mobile/portable device where you need to rely on battery life.
    Its the same concept as a notebook where they are going with the route of ULV processors and such.

To be fair, mobile devices are there to allow you to get things done on the road. An ok spec with awesome battery life is always better than pure uber specs.

I pity phones that requires life support (plugged-in) all the time.
    keepthetorch likes this.
    01-25-14 08:19 PM
    The 300ppi number is highly disputed. A lot of studies say the "retina" number is higher. I can see pixels from a foot away on the Z30. And it makes it worse if you ever find yourself using your phone a bit closer.

Ahhww, you pixel peepers :-)
    01-25-14 08:30 PM
    Yes, lets quit lying to ourselves and go back to flip phones with no internet. I will start a thread and provide a video comparing how fast it takes to open and close each phone (will even throw in Captain Kirk's communicator). The next thread will be comparing the 20 PPI screens. Stay tuned.
    01-25-14 09:01 PM
    MDM, everything your can do my phone does equally or better. I wanted more specs and almost made a big mistake. The Z30 is an elegant beast with less specs than the NOTE 3 to call out a device. Please tell me what phone you speak of the one that transmit data better then the Z30 and that will be my next phone. I am not talking about specs. before purchasing my phone I did my research. The Note has 3 GB of ram, the Z30 has an HDMI out. For me 2 GB of ram and an HDMI out I will take over 3GB of ram any day. But this may just be me. Is there any gain in performance by owning a Note 3? We, Lying? as I said I know what I have and the limitation. I also know the limitation of the other devices. I have all the apps I craved in the past but most of them I deleted.

It would be nice if you pointed out the trade off specs to performance and show the benefit if there is infact one. Apple phones don't have a great spec sheet but they perform well also. If any of the device makers stop making phones we would just move on because they all do the same thing. I am not knocking specs but pointing out that with it comes consumption and that has an affects performance.
    Last edited by Taede; 01-26-14 at 01:37 AM.
    01-25-14 09:10 PM
    Ok, let's take a deep breath. The OP, is pointing out the fact that while we still use and buy BlackBerry products, we've had to accept what is available, or move on to other platforms- which is why a lot of members utilize the option of devices on multiple platforms. As stated, the Z10 was scheduled to be released and was delayed several times. So, it was released knowing the Z30 would follow. I disagree, I don't think it's so much of members lying to themselves. It is members who are still enthusiastic about BlackBerries and made the choice to except BlackBerries- even with specs that are not going to be on the same level with other platforms. Thors said what many of us have known for years, we're not in the specs race. Never had a reason to be. Sales were great. So, based on recent events- lack-luster sales since the launch in the last year, that could be changing......especially with BB7 devices reportedly outselling the BB10s. We'll have to wait and see. As stated, we do have options. BTW, I see no reason in attacking someone for their choice in smartphones, but, I also see no reason when someone offering their opinion in a thread- whether we agree or not. No real attacks- so far. But, unless this is your first day,you know where this thread could go from here. The OP is also someone that has also been around BlackBerry for a minute or two as well. Anyway, just my .02.
    Shadowyugi and Kurdis Blough like this.
    01-25-14 09:11 PM
    Honestly in use high spec sheets don't always mean great phone. Higher power means more power sacking. Same goes with higher screen resolution. Now I'm not saying I wouldn't want better but I would not sacrifice having a short battery life.

I love my z30 more than what's out at the moment even with a lower spec sheet.

I like to think of the z30 as like someone with a resume that is not as good as some others that apply to the same job. What's on paper doesn't mean best always.

Posted via my Z30
    keepthetorch and Blacklatino like this.
    01-25-14 09:12 PM
    I think that's been the downfall of BBRY over the past few years. It's the sense that BB devices, regardless of the actual specs, can simply be "good enough" for them to be "superior". While BBRY and its fans have tried to convince themselves that being "good enough" can win, others have offered and effectively marketed devices that are considered by most to be superior.
    Last edited by NYC10065; 01-25-14 at 10:15 PM.
    ajst222 likes this.
    01-25-14 10:01 PM
    same here, i hate the horrible battery life.. it'll never last a whole day. whenever AT&T gets that Z30 in I'm jumping on it. Or somewhere else, either way. OP's got a point... Samsung's is prettier. But Z30 will fit my needs better. Has a better OS anyway.
    That's the reason I went to the Z30. The Z10 battery is a joke. I don't want to carry two batteries around with me all the time and any moderate usage and the phone goes dead in a few short hours. BlackBerry really screwed up with the Z10 on that front.

There are some things I miss about it compared to the Z30 though. I like the look and feel of the Z10 better in the hand and I like the stiffness of the buttons on the side of the Z10. The buttons on the Z30 are way too sensitive and if you talk on a bluetooth headset a lot like I do forget about putting it in your pocket, the phone mutes at the slightest touch and the volume gets all jacked around.

It does kill me though when I see people on here claiming to get crazy battery life on the Z10. When you ask them for some screen shots of usage and battery they magically don't post any more about it.
    01-25-14 10:09 PM
    I'm one of our company?s 4 executive technical support team and own a Z30.
    With my business tool I'm able to...

- RDP into my laptop at work (without establishing a VPN connection first)which never leaves my desk anymore.
    The Galaxy S devices support VPN Natively.

Microsoft has a Remote Desktop app for Android and iOS.

- work with any files on any file server within our LAN
    Doable on Android, easily.

- enjoy piece of mind that my corporate email will be delivered reliably and securely because I'm not relying on also-ran corporate email applications like Good for Enterprise
    EAS is reliable, and Samsung SAFE devices have good email clients that are designed for corporate use.

- can access my company's intranet pages simply by using my Work Browser thanks to BlackBerry Balance
    This can be done on other platforms.

Never mind that the BB10 browser is the top-rated mobile browser on any phone (ref: html5test.com).
    A difference that no ordinary user will notice (nevermind it's useless to quote a benchmark that covers so much without looking at the breakdown, which is out of the scope of this thread).

The other 3 guys on our team have either Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5s and have to lug their laptops home when it's their weeks to cover our after-hours periods.
    So no, I'm not feeling as if I'm being short-changed by my choice in BB10 and its lack of a quad-core CPU. Somehow it does all that stuff the others don't do without a 1080p resolution display or all those power-hungry extra cores.

The other guys can play Candy Crush without side loading though...

Posted via CB10
    Or they can also use an iPad or Android Tablet... Both of which are as capable or more capable than their smartphone counterparts.

Also, have to look outside of the scope of your own personal situation to see how it applies generally.

If you're a photographer and need certain apps on your phone for accessing services like Flickr, then the Z30 is a worse choice.

If you are an estimator and use your smartphone to take lots of pictures, then the Z30 is worse than both the i5[c/S] and the S4.

If you're an athelete or coach and you use your smartphone/smartphone camera during training then those other phones are better due to the better camera and the better app ecosystems available to them (OneNote, Coach's Eye, Ubersense, Dartfish Express).

If your company uses Google Apps, then the Android is easily superior. Equally so, if the company uses a full Microsoft stack and no BES, then both Android and the iPhone are superior due to the app support they have from Microsoft.

Some services have apps on other platforms, but not on BB10, which can prove to be showstoppers for some people.

If you need to Read/Edit ODT (OpenOffice format files), then Android is superior as it has 1st class apps that support this.

If you are a Windows or Mac User then the other devices may simply be a better choice for YOU due to them having access to the same services infrastructure that you use on your PC.

^^^- This is the in-built fallacy of most arguments on this forum. They don't tend to look outside of their bubble and sort of skirt the point that in a sea of billions of people, there can be billions of different use cases. The person who works at the shopping mall probably doesn't care about any of the stuff you wrote in that post, so while the Z30 may be best for you... Are there enough people like you to really make this phone competitive from a sales and "usefulness" or "convenience" point of view??? Personally, I don't use my phone for work, so how is anything you wrote a selling point (I'm quite aware you're referring to yourself but in a way that is aimed to position the Z30 as generally superior so the question is valid even if somewhat rhetorical)?

I think to persuade consumers and "average joes" that the Z30 should even be in the running come upgrade time, people need to venture out from the safe haven of "corporate use" with these phones and displays aspects where the device is superior for the average user - the ones that barely use email for communications anymore, who take tons of pictures and videos, who do like to sit back and relax and play games on their device in their downtime, etc. Blackberry tried and it didn't work well, so I'm not sure how anyone here with no advertising budget and no access to similar resources (commercials on major networks, etc.) thinks they can do any better.

Consumers actually tired of Blackberry because of their use as corporate device so trying to use that as a way to sell to them is a bad tactic at this point. This is why Blackberry advertised things like the Time Shift in the camera and not "You can RDP easily into your work laptop..." You give that stuff to corporate customers in brochures or at presentations, not the consumers in advertisements you spend millions of bucks on... They don't care about that stuff.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 01-25-14 at 10:26 PM.
    01-25-14 10:12 PM
    I tested out the Z30 and a Nexus 5 recently. Yes, I found the Nexus to have a sharper screen. An advantage when browsing.

Not a showstopper though, if you value the OS.

I may well consider buying a Z30 once they get their android apps store going.
    01-25-14 10:21 PM
    Lol all this is of course in your opinion, right? I have owned both the z10 and z30. I find nothing wrong with the screen.

No one on this forum has once said that the z30 has a better or equal screen to the s4. What is being said however is the z30 screen is not as bad as many make it out for be. Really. Its not. So I must be blind then, right?

Z30 is a much better phone than the z10 in every regard. Sure it's not as high ppi but it's got better color reproduction and most importantly a bigger screen! My z30 takes way better photos than the z10 as well. Oh and tell me how many times did you have to recharge your z10 daily? Ya exactly, thought so. I'm just going to keep enjoying my 20 hour battery life

In my opinion of course

Posted via my Z30
    Being worse is often bad enough for many people, which is why the "Spec Race" saw Samsung rise to dominance even when competitors were building "better" phones (external build materials, etc.). It's also why we had tech blogs trying to get people to stop the "Megapixel Wars." Remember the threads here complaining about newer Blackberries having "only" 5MP cameras (when Android/iOS had moved largely to 8MP)?

I don't think the OP said any of what he said was fact. I do think the thread title could have been worded better, though. It sounds patronizing.
    01-25-14 10:24 PM
    I agree, the title is inappropriate. But that's trivial. Don't read too much into it, and read the post itself.
    no, the title AND the post are tired retreads of pointless whining, delivered in the manner of pointless whining. The first person on CrackBerry who posted "BlackBerry should release devices that compete specs-wise with the top-tier Android devices" was probably NOT met with a chorus of "go away troll"... and probably the second and third were not chastized... but why should the hundredth version of this NOT be? I agree with the OP but don't agree that retread threads should be postable without consequences... especially with provocative titles like this. It's the CrackBerry equivalent of shouting a false alarm of FIRE in a crowded movie theatre and it has gotten ooooold.

The topic title is insulting to CB readership. Hence the reaction.
    01-25-14 10:25 PM
    Oddly enough, not one single person reported this thread.... funny that, if it's so bad.
    01-25-14 10:39 PM
    Yup, it�s not just hardware specs though. As I read through this forum I notice people talking about the ability to load APK files for android apps as if it�s a selling point for BB10, or the how prospect of possibly being able to get apps straight from the Play store might get blackberry back into the green. This seems akin to Chrysler running ads saying, (Good news folks, the new 2015 lineup of Chryslers will be designed such that they will be able to use Ford Replacements parts and accessories. Of course, parts that are made for Fords will always work better on Fords, but you can use them on a Chrysler. Isn�t that great?� If someone wants to use Ford parts aren�t they just going to buy a Ford? Naturally, this will please people who have already have a Blackberry, but want to be a part of the smart phone party by having apps. I just don�t see how this might win new customers. Anyone who cares about apps and is looking for a new phone will get an android or iPhone. There are half-assed ways to get apps that mostly run. That�s good enough, right?
    ajst222 and Shadowyugi like this.
    01-25-14 10:45 PM
451 ... 23456 ...