They may even sell a few, the rest have moved on from the PKB.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-17 08:09 PM
    One word defines BlackBerry...

Security
    01-26-17 08:34 PM
    Three words define BlackBerry.

Keyboard
    Security
    Communications

And, formerly, durability, dependability, long battery life, excellent reception.
    01-26-17 08:59 PM
    They may even sell a few, the rest have moved on from the PKB.

Posted via CB10
    I don't mean to pick, but there is no moving on. I've had both PKB and VKB devices (and even ROTARY ones.. Yes I witnessed the dawn of mobile phones as an adult) and each has their virtues (well, not the rotary). You can't move on from precise spelling, resting fingers on a keyboard, and one key calling or launching apps.

Again, not trying to pick. I just don't see it as "moving on". VKB devices are the ones that make funny autocorrect errors that end up on twitter and Facebook and irritate you to no end if you have tremble fingers. PKB devices... don't offer changeable keyboards and funny backgrounds. :/
    idssteve likes this.
    01-26-17 09:04 PM
    hmm.... I thought it was the lack of marketing, lack of apps, consistently missed timelines that defines BlackBerry.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-27-17 01:00 AM
    I sure hell love that BlackBerry keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-17 01:02 AM
    Only because no one else makes PKB devices. So 'by default' a PKB device always means a BlackBerry. It would be better for all if other manufacturers could try making PKB devices too.
    They have - they just gave up for whatever reason, whether it be they don't stand up against a BlackBerry keyboard, or the majority of buyers prefer virtual so they didn't sell well, or that they were made cheap and buyers ignored them for the more popular flagships. There used to be high end Android phones with physical keyboards, but they dried up back in 2012.

Top 7 Android smartphones with physical QWERTY keyboards (2016)
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-27-17 02:11 AM
    "Defines" needs to be defined. Lol. Our IT guy passed around one of those NEC Terrains proposing a possible replacement for our 9900s. Sorry, no comparison.

Its width was reasonable and it's supposed to be ruggedized. A Niche BB should've cornered LONG ago. The thing was too tall, imo, but most importantly lacked trackpad, toolbelt and even basic PKB shortcut capability!! Shortcuts are TOO essential to efficient daily productivity!! All things BB themselves tried to forget on Q10, as originally implemented. A fatal mistake, imo. BUT, even the Q10, stupidly crippled as it was, sported twice the RAM of NEC's Terrain. How useful is "ice cream"?

Comparing Terrain with ANY BB is insulting, imo. Comparing its PKB with 9900's superbly implemented and leveraged PKB/Toolbelt is TOO hilarious. Haha...
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-27-17 05:14 AM
    I would say innovation, security, and business are BB's roots and they have always been about delivering that, from the beginning to the present. I think that defines BlackBerry, whatever it is they happen to be selling.
    01-27-17 08:58 AM
    Finally? This was always the case. Anyone who thought otherwise is a lunatic.

Sadly, it seems BlackBerry forgot this along the way...

Very happy that TCL is going full-throttle with a PKB device!
    When have they forgotten? They've released more keyboard devices than touchscreen devices since 2013 (I'm not including the DTEK's as they're simply rebranded devices but the amounts are equal if you include them).
    01-27-17 12:41 PM
    yes

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    01-28-17 01:51 AM
    No not only the keyboad defines the blackberry but everything compared with all other phones define the blackberry, the privacy, the security, screen pixels, software, hardware, speed, I have been using my passport since 1 and half year it never hangs to break btween the processing and I had a iphone4 it hangs sometime I had a samsung it hangs a lot and sometime crashes this is the reason I love the blackberry the most and this makes it different from all other phones

Posted via CB10
    01-28-17 02:37 AM
    Seriously man. To the layman, a BlackBerry is a BlackBerry because of the keyboard, that's it.

Can't believe how emotional people get about this. 99% of the people don't even know BlackBerry exists anymore until they see a phone WITH A KEYBOARD!
    01-28-17 05:24 AM
    Seriously man. To the layman, a BlackBerry is a BlackBerry because of the keyboard, that's it.

Can't believe how emotional people get about this. 99% of the people don't even know BlackBerry exists anymore until they see a phone WITH A KEYBOARD!
    You made two statements though.

The first was that BlackBerry is perceived as having pkb devices. I will mostly agree with this.

The second is that it's the only reason to support the company. I strongly disagree. I chose the DTEK60 over every other slab offering for a number of reasons.
    01-28-17 08:39 AM
    With the hardware being outsourced to multiple companies, including the design, I'd say that what defines a BlackBerry, at this point, is a label somewhere on the device that says "BlackBerry." I don't think TCL gave this much thought when they put it on a smartphone that they made for Alcatel.
    01-28-17 10:01 AM
    With the hardware being outsourced to multiple companies, including the design, I'd say that what defines a BlackBerry, at this point, is a label somewhere on the device that says "BlackBerry." I don't think TCL gave this much thought when they put it on a smartphone that they made for Alcatel.
    A slab is a slab. The software makes the phone.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-28-17 10:08 AM
    A slab is a slab. The software makes the phone.
    I agree, and there's a huge variety to choose from. One thing that has been overlooked, is the software competition on the Android OS. There's a different experience from almost every manufacturer.

I disagree a slab is a slab. Ignoring the internal differences, externally we find a huge variety. Size, shape, edge, display res and type, rear screen, fp scanner placement, mods, 3D, and G-d knows how many aesthetic approaches. Even if no other OS existed, there would be tremendous competition.

When I was picking a new phone, software had a big role, but physical features also were important to me. Had Verizon offered the 60, it would have received a serious look.
    01-28-17 10:42 AM

I disagree a slab is a slab. Ignoring the internal differences, externally we find a huge variety.
    I more meant that BlackBerry never really brought anything to the world of slab hardware design. Others have always been better at it.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-28-17 10:48 AM
    I more meant that BlackBerry never really brought anything to the world of slab hardware design. Others have always been better at it.
    They've certainly brought some interesting designs to market, but TG their highlight, SurePress, was never influential.

Edit - I was initially responding about slabs, thinking this was a different discussion, shall recommend I stay on topic, and take a nap now.
    01-28-17 10:54 AM
    Actually to me what defined Blackberry was that it was better than Symbian and WP. Sure the keyboard was good and BBOS was stable (with little help from battery pulls). But to me it runs circle around symbian and WP.
    01-28-17 09:55 PM
    They've certainly brought some interesting designs to market, but TG their highlight, SurePress, was never influential.

Edit - I was initially responding about slabs, thinking this was a different discussion, shall recommend I stay on topic, and take a nap now.
    Stormmmmmmm 1 and 2 lol
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-28-17 09:56 PM
    I wouldn't say that the physical keyboard is the only thing that defined BlackBerry. Just my opinion, of course.
    01-30-17 05:34 PM
    This is literally the ONLY reason left to support the company.
    I agree.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-17 05:45 PM
    I disagree a slab is a slab. Ignoring the internal differences, externally we find a huge variety. Size, shape, edge, display res and type, rear screen, fp scanner placement, mods, 3D, and G-d knows how many aesthetic approaches. Even if no other OS existed, there would be tremendous competition.
    I see your point but these things only come into play for me on those phones that have big differences between them in their form factor or shape. IPhone tiny version to iPhone big version. Passport to Z10. Overall though most of them are like stackable bricks with which I could build a fairly uniform looking wall. Perhaps I just don't have the "eye" to appreciate the differences, but I find most phone reviews to be humorous when they start describing aesthetics of a new phone as compared to another that is usually very similar in size, shape and outward design. It's all nuances, I guess is my point and those are something that just don't concern me usually. In general, I agree that a slab is a slab.
    01-30-17 06:30 PM
    There is literally nothing different about BlackBerry anymore except the keyboard.
    01-30-17 08:40 PM
61 123