Microsoft will iron things out with the Duo. I read they were locked into the 855 and RAM in the development in '19. They have done remarkable things with their apps and integration to Android on regular smartphones and even Chromebooks.

For the price tho they had little room for error with the software and camera and of course the reviewers like Mr. Mobile and all the others were left frustrated until the update that normal users devices will ship with.

The concept and idea of different apps on screens (like working with dual monitors) has me pretty stoked for future iterations or even this one when ironed out and at a big discount. The hardware is unmatched.
    Love your optimism man!

I simply cannot see this going very well, not unless Microsoft and Google fully embrace each other OR Microsoft completely forks it and takes over fully from top to bottom not having to adhere to whatever Google is doing, until then IMO, there is going to be major speed bumps because they will forever clash with what Google are doing, which is what we are seeing here.

A company of their size simply cannot give a device to reviewers in such a state, that in itself if a terrible sign of things and a need for big changes.

Too many times people have put their faith in software updates to polish a device that arrives in a terrible state, very often it doesn’t end well, but I admire your optimism.

The Duo 2 will have to undo all of this damage if it happens.
    09-11-20 04:03 PM
    Love your optimism man!

I simply cannot see this going very well, not unless Microsoft and Google fully embrace each other OR Microsoft completely forks it and takes over fully from top to bottom not having to adhere to whatever Google is doing, until then IMO, there is going to be major speed bumps because they will forever clash with what Google are doing, which is what we are seeing here.

A company of their size simply cannot give a device to reviewers in such a state, that in itself if a terrible sign of things and a need for big changes.

Too many times people have put their faith in software updates to polish a device that arrives in a terrible state, very often it doesn’t end well, but I admire your optimism.

The Duo 2 will have to undo all of this damage if it happens.
    Here is a little more positive review. I REALLY dig some of the devices capabilities.

09-11-20 04:13 PM
    After watching the review below, my thoughts are that this is Samsung, Microsoft and Google’s opportunity to collaborate on Mobile fully, bring Windows and Android together in some way, they could easily take this concept as of the Duo and make one hell of a device with the Duo 2

The reviewer was frustrated and the growing issue here is that you have two giants in tech that are sort of/kind of working together and sort of kind of not ������

The reason I say the above is that I foresee the same issues that Samsung have had with Google happening with Microsoft and Google, forking Android to a point where Google is not happy and ultimately seeing a Apple vs Epic Games sort of situation (not quite the same I know) where the owner of the OS chooses to pull the rug from under them for not complying.

If Samsung, Google and MS can sit down and allow Samsung to make the hardware, Google bake in the features in Android and MS to focus on the productivity end of things along with Windows integration, these guys could obliterate Apple in a number of years and even end up commanding the Premium segment in smartphones and tablets, people are willing to pay top dollar for Microsoft products when they are worth it.
    But that’s not in any of their interest any more than what you’re currently seeing. That’s problem when you see collaboration of equals since each has their own agenda legally required at minimum.

Each company wants the other to succeed and I’d suggest at this point all of them are waiting to hear what changes are realistically possible to collaborate on in the future.
    09-11-20 04:25 PM
    Here is a little more positive review. I REALLY dig some of the devices capabilities.

Lol, uggh no, I was hoping you were going to show me something more in-depth that I had completely missed, I watched this yesterday. iJustine mostly glossed over the issues and went right back to her iPhone after posting this review, that tells you a lot in itself. iJustine is a fantastic reviewer who when truly impressed will absolutely go gaga over a device, if anything this was one of her less exciting videos.

Seriously I thought you were linking me to some indie reviewer with 10,000 followers who has some completely different perspective when I saw the link in my notifications dammit BH!

But that’s not in any of their interest any more than what you’re currently seeing. That’s problem when you see collaboration of equals since each has their own agenda legally required at minimum.

Each company wants the other to succeed and I’d suggest at this point all of them are waiting to hear what changes are realistically possible to collaborate on in the future.
    Considering how big these guys are? I feel like internal politics and bureaucracy probably played part in this device arriving in the manner it did and it doesn’t bode well for the future at all.

If you are working together you both want it to be successful, you don’t send half baked stuff to the people who influence the audience you are trying to capture. How does it look when an iJustine tells her audience that the device didn’t work reliably and continues to use her iPhone to Tweet? How does it look when MKBHD simply doesn’t want to recommend your $1400 device? And how does it look when CNET are constantly asking “how is this device meant to be used!?” in their review?
    Am I the only one finding all of this utterly ridiculous
    This is Microsoft’s 5th(or is it 6th!?) try at Mobile? They have multiple decades in this game, how are they STILL sending out a half baked device!? Pure madness.
    09-11-20 04:47 PM
    Lol, uggh no, I was hoping you were going to show me something more in-depth that I had completely missed, I watched this yesterday. iJustine mostly glossed over the issues and went right back to her iPhone after posting this review, that tells you a lot in itself. iJustine is a fantastic reviewer who when truly impressed will absolutely go gaga over a device, if anything this was one of her less exciting videos.

Seriously I thought you were linking me to some indie reviewer with 10,000 followers who has some completely different perspective when I saw the link in my notifications dammit BH!

Considering how big these guys are? I feel like internal politics and bureaucracy probably played part in this device arriving in the manner it did and it doesn’t bode well for the future at all.

If you are working together you both want it to be successful, you don’t send half baked stuff to the people who influence the audience you are trying to capture. How does it look when an iJustine tells her audience that the device didn’t work reliably and continues to use her iPhone to Tweet? How does it look when MKBHD simply doesn’t want to recommend your $1400 device? And how does it look when CNET are constantly asking “how is this device meant to be used!?” in their review?
    This is Microsoft’s 5th(or is it 6th!?) try at Mobile? They have multiple decades in this game, how are they STILL sending out a half baked device!? Pure madness.
    Do you really think any of them fully like or trust each other for that matter? They are direct competitors still in many overlapping lines.
    09-11-20 04:53 PM
    Do you really think any of them fully like or trust each other for that matter? They are direct competitors still in many overlapping lines.
    This is my main concern though to. Whatever beef they have with each other would need to be put to bed. The Microsoft Surface Duo and Galaxy Z Fold 2 are a clear indication that we are now entering a new phase of convergence device and these devices require both Mobile and Desktop OS to be more integrated than ever with each other. That means one has to have great control over the OS, software and hardware to make this work. As it stands this is not the case for Microsoft Surface Duo, and so when MS tries to do something completely different you have issues like this that arise. Either they completely fork and forgo dealing with Google OR they fully collaborate.

Let’s also remember that for developers in Android to even care to optimise their apps for your bespoke device you need to be selling at Samsung numbers, and I highly doubt the Surface Duo will even hit 1/2 of what Samsung does with their flagships. So Microsoft will have to identify top apps and pay them to optimise and even then it doesn’t exactly workout just ask Samsung who are still after almost decade trying to get developers to optimise apps for their tablets and some of their phones.

Anyway let’s see what Microsoft has planned for this device, let’s see what things look like in 3 months...they need to be fully dedicated, and in a time like COVID I get the feeling some projects will get the axe, I hope this one doesn’t as it has potential but it needs 200% commitment even from a juggernaut like MS.
    09-11-20 05:15 PM
    I feel like one day in a decades time a Microsoft or Google employee will release a memoir that will expose the drama, politics and bureaucracy that were swirling around the Microsoft Surface Duo, this device makes me think there is a lot more going on that what we are seeing.
    09-11-20 05:24 PM
    Anyway let’s see what Microsoft has planned for this device, let’s see what things look like in 3 months...they need to be fully dedicated, and in a time like COVID I get the feeling some projects will get the axe, I hope this one doesn’t as it has potential but it needs 200% commitment even from a juggernaut like MS.
    For this device.... I don't hold out much hope.

For the 2nd or 3rd version.... I can see this "device" being a very useful tool. More RAM for the multitasking, Folding Display , SD875 chipset.... another year of tweaking of the software, and getting other key developers to support these multi display or folding display devices.
    Tsepz_GP and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-14-20 07:27 AM
    For this device.... I don't hold out much hope.

For the 2nd or 3rd version.... I can see this "device" being a very useful tool. More RAM for the multitasking, Folding Display , SD875 chipset.... another year of tweaking of the software, and getting other key developers to support these multi display or folding display devices.
    Indeed, same here, for this Gen 1, I think all we can do is hope for patches to reduce the issues, ultimately I see it as a device that will forever be handicapped due to poor hardware choices, only so much that MS can do with patch releases.

I am just hoping the Surface Duo project doesn’t get prematurely dropped due to how badly this Gen 1 device has been brought to market.

In all honestly how likely do you think it is for developers to happily take this on and optimize for it?

Someone at another Forum I read got their Duo and they found that MS Outlook had issues, one would think that MS would have at least made sure their own apps would be tip-top but no.
    09-14-20 09:27 AM
    Indeed, same here, for this Gen 1, I think all we can do is hope for patches to reduce the issues, ultimately I see it as a device that will forever be handicapped due to poor hardware choices, only so much that MS can do with patch releases.

I am just hoping the Surface Duo project doesn’t get prematurely dropped due to how badly this Gen 1 device has been brought to market.

In all honestly how likely do you think it is for developers to happily take this on and optimize for it?

Someone at another Forum I read got their Duo and they found that MS Outlook had issues, one would think that MS would have at least made sure their own apps would be tip-top but no.
    Does MS really have much choice? They need a mobile device that can marry both Android and Windows. Be that Duo route (skinned GPS Android) or the Surface Pro X route of Windows on ARM with an Android emulator (ain't that great either on GEN 1).
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    09-14-20 09:51 AM
    It's cheaper... but I'm not really sure what the purpose of the 2nd display on the LG Wing is for.

But it could be a one handed dual display device.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    09-14-20 11:13 AM
    Can someone (YouTube reviewer or anyone) post a picture of the Surface Duo next to a BB Passport? I think the form factor is very very similar, except the duo is a bit taller? Am I wrong?
    Picture of a Passport SE and Surface DUO

https://twitter.com/AdamJMatlock/sta...400884736?s=19
    Tim-ANC, towngirl and dmlis like this.
    09-16-20 04:11 PM
    Great, you found one. Duo doesn't look that big for those of us who toted the Passport around
    Rico4you and bh7171 like this.
    09-16-20 11:08 PM
    It's cheaper... but I'm not really sure what the purpose of the 2nd display on the LG Wing is for.

But it could be a one handed dual display device.
    I like the Gimbal Mode as well as the Navigation mode, a very interesting approach by LG.

LG have always done quirky things that some of which go mainstream, they brought the first Notch with 2nd screen with the LG V series, then they popularized Super Wide Angle lenses.
    09-17-20 02:19 AM
    The dou has some good reviews ... and supposed be fast. Maybe a bit underrated?
    Normally, MS has had bad phones but this one sounds good.
    Who are all these people in here, that have a new Duo? Youtuber hiding out?
    09-17-20 06:25 AM
    The dou has some good reviews ... and supposed be fast. Maybe a bit underrated?
    Normally, MS has had bad phones but this one sounds good.
    Who are all these people in here, that have a new Duo? Youtuber hiding out?
    I’m personally waiting to give it a try in person before I say anymore on it, but because of the pandemic it seems I’ll be waiting a while
    towngirl likes this.
    09-19-20 07:15 AM
    I had a Lumina 950XL and it was a great piece of hardware. OS and MS bailing on WP was its dagger to the heart.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    09-19-20 11:36 AM

Here is another more in-depth, more Indie type review for ya.

Clearly software bugs should have been ironed out BUT Microsoft nor anyone can expect dev's to have their apps "optimised" so soon on an entirely new form factor.

I do think, despite the engineering marvel and beautiful design they should have priced this less with the 855. The tech world is just so unnecessarily brutal and relentless when it comes to specs vs actual performance. Simply the price is too high on this first gen.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    09-19-20 06:54 PM

Clearly software bugs should have been ironed out BUT Microsoft nor anyone can expect dev's to have their apps "optimised" so soon on an entirely new form factor.

I do think, despite the engineering marvel and beautiful design they should have priced this less with the 855. The tech world is just so unnecessarily brutal and relentless when it comes to specs vs actual performance. Simply the price is too high on this first gen.
    With Covid-19 disruption in the mobile space, I wonder if MSFT isn't testing price elasticity as much as the various other aspects. It cant be any worse that last year's Fold introduction
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    09-19-20 09:29 PM

Thanks a lot, I really enjoy TK Bay’s reviews, super underrated YouTuber, don’t know how I missed his take, will give this watch shortly!
    09-20-20 05:46 AM

Great video by TK, he hasn’t changed my mind about the device but I always enjoy his take, he made this like a mini how-to video giving us an even more in-depth idea of the device day-to-day from a techy consumer perspective.

What continues to annoy me is the lag, stuttering and non-responsiveness of the device has as he goes through it, so many times it sort of freezes as if the hardware is still trying to workout what’s going on, it’s reminding me of a bogged down Windows laptop

I really hope software updates will at the very least minimize those issues otherwise I hope Gen 2 gets some proper horsepower under the hood to deliver a better experience. The concept is great but it needs the hardware.

As of this moment I cannot imagine someone even wanting to continue to use this device when their Samsung Galaxy or Apple iPhone can work so much faster and smoother while also taking far bette pictures and having a more ergonomic design for out-of-office usage.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-21-20 08:36 AM
    Great video by TK, he hasn’t changed my mind about the device but I always enjoy his take, he made this like a mini how-to video giving us an even more in-depth idea of the device day-to-day from a techy consumer perspective.

What continues to annoy me is the lag, stuttering and non-responsiveness of the device has as he goes through it, so many times it sort of freezes as if the hardware is still trying to workout what’s going on, it’s reminding me of a bogged down Windows laptop

I really hope software updates will at the very least minimize those issues otherwise I hope Gen 2 gets some proper horsepower under the hood to deliver a better experience. The concept is great but it needs the hardware.

As of this moment I cannot imagine someone even wanting to continue to use this device when their Samsung Galaxy or Apple iPhone can work so much faster and smoother while also taking far bette pictures and having a more ergonomic design for out-of-office usage.
    It's a sad day when 6GB RAM and last year's extremely capable 855 are deemed "not enough" clearly whatever hiccups are still taking place are software and those that have not yet considered the various types of foldable devices that will be come more volumous in the near future.

A Tab S6 screams with an 855 and 6GB RAM and was/is lauded for its performance I am quite certain Microsoft and the company they acquired to assist with Android will be get things ironed out. Look how well Microsoft's apps run together.

I am awaiting price decreases and software performance increases in the near future and certainly the second gen. Working mobile with two screens just seems so "spicy" and productive. (Like on my desktop- do you remember working that way with one screen?? Seems so foreign now)
    09-21-20 05:22 PM
    Anyone here bought the Surface Duo? You may want check yours, the plastic around your charging port, seems Microsoft cheaped out on it:
    Early adopters see cracks in the plastic around Microsoft Surface Duo's USB-C port

https://m.gsmarena.com/users_report_...news-45652.php

Microsoft are really having a good laugh here, issues with lag and poor software, now build quality issues not even 2 months in at $1400, ridiculous.
    10-06-20 12:21 PM
    Anyone here bought the Surface Duo? You may want check yours, the plastic around your charging port, seems Microsoft cheaped out on it:
    Early adopters see cracks in the plastic around Microsoft Surface Duo's USB-C port

https://m.gsmarena.com/users_report_...news-45652.php

[IMG=1024x783]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201006/7fdd6c3325ead32a7e94881aaac0b9e2.jpg[/url]

Microsoft are really having a good laugh here, issues with lag and poor software, now build quality issues not even 2 months in at $1400, ridiculous.
    It’s all your fault ;-D
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    10-06-20 12:46 PM
    It’s all your fault ;-D
    I couldn’t help it! LOL!
    10-06-20 01:25 PM
83 1234