Can someone (YouTube reviewer or anyone) post a picture of the Surface Duo next to a BB Passport? I think the form factor is very very similar, except the duo is a bit taller? Am I wrong?
    09-03-20 12:29 PM
    Can someone (YouTube reviewer or anyone) post a picture of the Surface Duo next to a BB Passport? I think the form factor is very very similar, except the duo is a bit taller? Am I wrong?
    Some info here, specs, and you can view pics

https://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?...&idPhone2=6457
    09-03-20 01:04 PM
    I understand, but it does not really put them side by side. :-(

Some info here, specs, and you can view pics

https://m.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?...&idPhone2=6457
    09-03-20 01:06 PM
    I understand, but it does not really put them side by side. :-(
    Very few have one right now... no one on CrackBerry that I know of.

Not like Bla1ze is in the same building as the guys from Windows Central...
    09-03-20 01:09 PM
    Surface folded duo is 17.2 cm taller with similar with and thickness to a Passport.

So unfolded like 2 Passports together but taller.
    09-03-20 01:11 PM
    Just do a rough outline side by side on a piece of paper for both devices using the dimensions given on GSMArena. You will find that when the Surface Duo is in the closed position it will still be quite a bit larger, in particular, taller. It is only very slightly wider (about 3 mm).
    Mirko935 likes this.
    09-03-20 01:32 PM
    https://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...nes/8854,11482
    09-03-20 01:38 PM
    Nice tool, but it would be better, if the Duo was in landscape mode., and closed. I am just trying to visualize what the 1.7cm or 17mm is really like. Unbox Therapy or MKBHD on Youtube probably have the two devices...

Last edited by CeCoQ; 09-03-20 at 01:59 PM.
    09-03-20 01:45 PM
    Nice tool, but it would be better, if the Duo was in landscape mode., and closed. I am just trying to visualize what the 1.7cm or 17mm. Unbox Therapy or MKBHD on Youtube probably has the two devices...
    I agree. Try finding a phone of similar dimensions as the Duo closed using GSMArena's Phone Finder and then comparing that phone with the Passport using the Phone Arena's size comparison tool. Seems like a faster option than waiting for a YouTuber to compare them.

https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?
    09-03-20 01:57 PM
    Not like Bla1ze is in the same building as the guys from Windows Central...
    Not even in the same country for that matter.
    09-03-20 02:01 PM
    Here you go:

Can someone (YouTube reviewer or anyone) post a picture of the Surface Duo next to a BB Passport?-phones.jpg
    elfabio80, chain13, dmlis and 1 others like this.
    09-03-20 03:01 PM
    Here you go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phones.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	449460
    Thats the Passport SE XL!
    09-03-20 03:35 PM
    09-03-20 07:20 PM
    [IMG=900x1200]https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-tN4n2Nd/0/88c804dc/X3/i-tN4n2Nd-X3.jpg[/url]

[IMG=900x1200]https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZL4sQX7/0/550a58a4/X3/i-ZL4sQX7-X3.jpg[/url]

[IMG=900x1200]https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-S57WDLb/0/0b85132e/X3/i-S57WDLb-X3.jpg[/url]

Bob
    Congratulations
    09-03-20 08:31 PM
    I'm impressed with how THIN the Duo is... barely thicker than the USBC port.
    09-04-20 08:40 AM
    I'm impressed with how THIN the Duo is... barely thicker than the USBC port.
    Consider me impressed as well. One reviewer had his Pixel 3 XL on top and it was almost as thick as both screens on the Duo. 😳

To me the Duo, is so far, the zenith of what a foldable device should be. I am anxious to check one out at Best Buy. In addition all the initial thoughts are of exceptional build quality and feel in the hand. So al least true to the Surface line so far.
    chain13 likes this.
    09-04-20 11:53 AM
    Looks like the Surface Duo successor will at least feature 5G, I hope that means it will at least have a Snapdragon865+ and larger battery

Surface Duo successor will likely catch up to the Galaxy Z Fold 2 in a key department

https://www.phonearena.com/news/surf...ealed_id126966

Hopefully they will make the battery at least 4500mah to.

Much like the Galaxy Fold and Galaxy Z Fold 2, I think the successor to the Duo will be the one to go for.

YouTubers still not allowed to publish their reviews on the current Duo due to the embargo, very odd. I am most interested to hear what the battery life is like when using both screens versus using one screen.
    09-05-20 02:37 AM
    Reviews are coming out today, my favourite reviewer is up, haven’t had a chance to watch yet as I am in MS Teams meetings all day
    But here is Michael Fishers review

09-10-20 08:48 AM
    Reviews are coming out today, my favourite reviewer is up, haven’t had a chance to watch yet as I am in MS Teams meetings all day
    But here is Michael Fishers review
    Loves the form factor.... and that's it's not just another slab.

But.....
    09-10-20 02:40 PM
    Loves the form factor.... and that's it's not just another slab.

But.....
    I’m busy watching all the reviews now and the theme seems to be:
    - Great form factor multitasking...sometimes
    - Most apps are not optimised for this
    - Lag

Uggh, Microsoft, why!?

The problem is that some of these themes may not ever go away, as we have seen with android tablets, app optimisation is something most Android app developers are allergic to if it’s not an android phone.

As for the lag, completely expected, Snapdragon 855 with 6GB RAM on a device that is supposed to be a multitasking beast is kind of a joke now that I think about it, they should have at least given this thing 12GB RAM if they wanted to cheap out on the SoC.

I have watched 4 reviews and I am truly disappointed, even more so than I thought I would be, $1400 for this!?

I hope Microsoft are investing big on virtual roadshows of some sorts to enterprises with this thing because I cannot see it doing well outside of enterprise, and even then, with all these issues they need to convince people who are happily using solid Samsung Galaxys, iPhones, iPads etc... to switch to what is essentially a big Beta test with a horrible camera? Yikes.

Also when is it getting Android 11 I wonder?
    09-10-20 03:45 PM
    I’m busy watching all the reviews now and the theme seems to be:
    - Great form factor multitasking...sometimes
    - Most apps are not optimised for this
    - Lag

Uggh, Microsoft, why!?

The problem is that some of these themes may not ever go away, as we have seen with android tablets, app optimisation is something most Android app developers are allergic to if it’s not an android phone.

As for the lag, completely expected, Snapdragon 855 with 6GB RAM on a device that is supposed to be a multitasking beast is kind of a joke now that I think about it, they should have at least given this thing 12GB RAM if they wanted to cheap out on the SoC.

I have watched 4 reviews and I am truly disappointed, even more so than I thought I would be, $1400 for this!?

I hope Microsoft are investing big on virtual roadshows of some sorts to enterprises with this thing because I cannot see it doing well outside of enterprise, and even then, with all these issues they need to convince people who are happily using solid Samsung Galaxys, iPhones, iPads etc... to switch to what is essentially a big Beta test with a horrible camera? Yikes.

Also when is it getting Android 11 I wonder?
    The consensus seems to be - wait for the Duo2 - sounds more and more like the thing to do. Hopefully there will be a second generation if enough suck err buyers keep the project afloat.
    Tsepz_GP and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-10-20 03:54 PM
    The consensus seems to be - wait for the Duo2 - sounds more and more like the thing to do. Hopefully there will be a second generation if enough suck err buyers keep the project afloat.
    This is very true!

Hopefully the Duo 2 fixes all of this, Microsoft has the resources to keep this whole thing going for years, but I hope they take it more seriously with the Duo 2.
    09-10-20 03:58 PM
    Much like the Surface X that I had a lot of hope for.... it's just not ready.

But big upgrade for book readers.
    Tsepz_GP and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-11-20 06:53 AM
    Much like the Surface X that I had a lot of hope for.... it's just not ready.

But big upgrade for book readers.
    After watching the review below, my thoughts are that this is Samsung, Microsoft and Google’s opportunity to collaborate on Mobile fully, bring Windows and Android together in some way, they could easily take this concept as of the Duo and make one hell of a device with the Duo 2

The reviewer was frustrated and the growing issue here is that you have two giants in tech that are sort of/kind of working together and sort of kind of not 🤣

The reason I say the above is that I foresee the same issues that Samsung have had with Google happening with Microsoft and Google, forking Android to a point where Google is not happy and ultimately seeing a Apple vs Epic Games sort of situation (not quite the same I know) where the owner of the OS chooses to pull the rug from under them for not complying.

If Samsung, Google and MS can sit down and allow Samsung to make the hardware, Google bake in the features in Android and MS to focus on the productivity end of things along with Windows integration, these guys could obliterate Apple in a number of years and even end up commanding the Premium segment in smartphones and tablets, people are willing to pay top dollar for Microsoft products when they are worth it.
    09-11-20 03:08 PM
    After watching the review below, my thoughts are that this is Samsung, Microsoft and Google’s opportunity to collaborate on Mobile fully, bring Windows and Android together in some way, they could easily take this concept as of the Duo and make one hell of a device with the Duo 2

The reviewer was frustrated and the growing issue here is that you have two giants in tech that are sort of/kind of working together and sort of kind of not 🤣

The reason I say the above is that I foresee the same issues that Samsung have had with Google happening with Microsoft and Google, forking Android to a point where Google is not happy and ultimately seeing a Apple vs Epic Games sort of situation (not quite the same I know) where the owner of the OS chooses to pull the rug from under them for not complying.

If Samsung, Google and MS can sit down and allow Samsung to make the hardware, Google bake in the features in Android and MS to focus on the productivity end of things along with Windows integration, these guys could obliterate Apple in a number of years and even end up commanding the Premium segment in smartphones and tablets, people are willing to pay top dollar for Microsoft products when they are worth it.
    Microsoft will iron things out with the Duo. I read they were locked into the 855 and RAM in the development in '19. They have done remarkable things with their apps and integration to Android on regular smartphones and even Chromebooks.

For the price tho they had little room for error with the software and camera and of course the reviewers like Mr. Mobile and all the others were left frustrated until the update that normal users devices will ship with.

The concept and idea of different apps on screens (like working with dual monitors) has me pretty stoked for future iterations or even this one when ironed out and at a big discount. The hardware is unmatched.
    09-11-20 03:54 PM
83 123 ...