Does anyone know if the BlackBerry Curve 8980 will be available in the United States? Or is it only going to be sold in China?
    12-24-10 02:05 PM
    No US carrier has announced it so the best you, or any of us can do is standby.
    12-24-10 02:16 PM
    pointless phone so outta date doesnt even have 3g for gosh sakes even the 8330 has 3g i think its a very very pointless phone sorry
    12-27-10 02:22 AM
    pointless phone so outta date doesnt even have 3g for gosh sakes even the 8330 has 3g i think its a very very pointless phone sorry
    I can't beleive they spent time and effort to put together a phone with no 3G. I was just looking at it, it looks like made from spare parts from older models.

FCC outs the BlackBerry Curve 8980 | CrackBerry.com

why..WHY..?
    12-27-10 02:39 AM
    I can't beleive they spent time and effort to put together a phone with no 3G. I was just looking at it, it looks like made from spare parts from older models.

FCC outs the BlackBerry Curve 8980 | CrackBerry.com

why..WHY..?
    released in a low cost no 3g market maybe?

hence why we don't see release dates in North America.
    12-27-10 06:58 AM
    Had a feeling it would happen. Maybe it's CDMA? (That ain't no "3G")

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 11:04 AM
    Had a feeling it would happen. Maybe it's CDMA? (That ain't no "3G")

LOL. You GSM boys finally get data speeds slightly faster than we CDMA users have enjoyed for years and then say CDMA isn't 3G. Here's a news story for you, your 3G GSM is actually CDMA. W-CDMA to be exact. Sprint and Verizon could have went to EVDO Rev B, which would have been fairly equivalent to 3G GSM (Data and voice at same time) but they instead decided to move to newer OFDM based technology to take them into the future.
    12-27-10 12:06 PM

Bingo.
    I don't know why anyone in North America would be waiting for this phone
    Spend a few dollars and get a 9780

In fact, I think RIM should streamline it's product line and only offer one keyboard phone (Bold), one flip (Style), one slider (Torch), and one touch screen (Storm).
    I like choice (different form factors) but the number of keyboard style phones RIM offers is staggering.
    12-27-10 11:24 PM
    LOL. You GSM boys finally get data speeds slightly faster than we CDMA users have enjoyed for years and then say CDMA isn't 3G. Here's a news story for you, your 3G GSM is actually CDMA. W-CDMA to be exact. Sprint and Verizon could have went to EVDO Rev B, which would have been fairly equivalent to 3G GSM (Data and voice at same time) but they instead decided to move to newer OFDM based technology to take them into the future.
    I like this guy.

. Sorry. Just wanted to say. :P

12-27-10 11:35 PM
    Good Post Inichols!

12-28-10 07:16 AM
    ===== QUOTE deRusett ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Bingo.
    I don't know why anyone in North America would be waiting for this phone
    Spend a few dollars and get a 9780

In fact, I think RIM should streamline it's product line and only offer one keyboard phone (Bold), one flip (Style), one slider (Torch), and one touch screen (Storm).
    I like choice (different form factors) but the number of keyboard style phones RIM offers is staggering.
    That would be a terrible idea. IMO the curve has a much better keyboard than the bold. This is the slowest I've ever been able to type on a BB thanks to this 9700. If it was as big as the 9000 then maybe I'd be happy. Matter of fact I use an 8310 for work and I can type almost twice as fast on that thing.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    12-28-10 10:12 AM
    It seems to me that the 8980 would be a step back for the us carriers considering the 9300 is out.
    12-28-10 10:21 AM
    That would be a terrible idea. IMO the curve has a much better keyboard than the bold. This is the slowest I've ever been able to type on a BB thanks to this 9700. If it was as big as the 9000 then maybe I'd be happy. Matter of fact I use an 8310 for work and I can type almost twice as fast on that thing.

I do agree with you his idea would be terrible

I hate the Curve keyboard, but know people like yourself that hate the Bold Keyboard,

they should EXPAND their offerings not shrink them, I've written a few posts about my feelings on the subject of how I would launch devices and which I would launch if I was calling the shots
    12-28-10 11:08 AM
    This is the one thing I disagree with DeRusett on.
    Doesn't make good business sense to make too many different models.
    It's much more economical to focus the product range.
    Look what happened with the American car manufacturers. They finally came to their senses at the verge of bankruptcy. Hopefully it doesn't take that to focus RIM.
    If they wanted to please everyone, they would need a thousand different models.
    Make a few good ones! Apple seems to be doing alright with one, if RIM builds some quality phones surely they would be able to narrow the product range to four.
    12-29-10 01:01 AM
    ...I use an 8310 for work and I can type almost twice as fast on that thing.

I still have my old 8310 kicking around.
    When I read your post I went and got it to compare the keyboard to my 9780.
    I don't know what you're smoking, but I can not imagine anyone being able to type faster on the 8310 compared to the 9780
    12-29-10 01:07 AM
    This is the one thing I disagree with DeRusett on.
    Doesn't make good business sense to make too many different models.
    It's much more economical to focus the product range.
    Look what happened with the American car manufacturers. They finally came to their senses at the verge of bankruptcy. Hopefully it doesn't take that to focus RIM.
    If they wanted to please everyone, they would need a thousand different models.
    Make a few good ones! Apple seems to be doing alright with one, if RIM builds some quality phones surely they would be able to narrow the product range to four.

My belief is very much that 1 phone can not be THE phone for everyone, and RIM can address peoples needs with different models and different upgrade cycles. I'll break it down.

Bold - Premium top of the line Candy bar phone, 2 models of Bold 9000 form factor, and 9700 form factor, each form factor upgrading on a 2 year cycle, basically a new Bold every year, but alternating form factors,
    Curve - Second level Candy Bar phone, ideal for "fleet phones" and price Conscientious consumer. This phone should be on a 2 year upgrade cycle, this phone tech should be based off of the 9700 form factor technology, but one year different, allowing RIM to get more out of their lower end phone by purchasing more components on the 9700 development,
    Storm - Premium Consumer phone, 12-16 month upgrade cycle, This is the flagship touch phone to battle in the consumer space, it needs to be feature rich, and it's out of contract price needs to be higher, to give RIM more money for advertising, and it needs to be pushed by the carriers.
    Torch - Specialty Consumer phone, 24 month upgrade cycle, depending on sales of This device will depend if it replaces the Storm as the premium consumer device, this phone should have the hardware of the 9000 Bold series in the same year,
    Style - Specialty consumer phone, 24 Month upgrade cycle, this phone is built as an alternative to the Curve phone, it is a fleet phone and consumer phone, build strong, does not need latest and greatest tech, it fills a market current smartphones don't fill.
    Pearl - Premium MicroPhone, the Pearl needs to recapture the Small is better market, the form factor is fantastic for the sleek phone, possibly made slightly thinner, this is a 18 month phone, those that love it will pay out of contract to get it early, making more margin for RIM, those that just really like it will wait 6 months to buy it. or carriers will offer it as an early upgrade.

Now why RIM is NOT a car dealer, Cars are released on a Calendar year schedule, Mobile phones are not, RIM needs at least 1 new release every quarter, to maintain RIM's Margins they can't have every phone being upgraded every year, that would reduce shipments of phones, and lower margins, RIM needs to maintain it's high margins, so using the same components in 2 or 3 phones is ideal. and them being "current" in line with upgrade cycles keeps carriers and corporate customers happy.
    12-29-10 07:48 AM
    I still have my old 8310 kicking around.
    When I read your post I went and got it to compare the keyboard to my 9780.
    I don't know what you're smoking, but I can not imagine anyone being able to type faster on the 8310 compared to the 9780
    Regardless of what you can or can't imagine I really do type faster on the 8310. Besides, now that the bold is a tiny device like the curve the keyboards are about the same size. That being said, the reason I can't type that fast on the 9700 is due to the fact that the keys are so close together that I'm always hitting other keys. On the curve (although the keys are a little smaller) the gap between the keys help, I rarely make any mistakes on it and I can type up a storm.
    I would actually prefer that rim make a new bold that's a little bigger than the 9000 was and throw a 5000mAh battery in it. Then there would be no problem with battery life or a horrible keyboard, but then of course seeing as most people have trouble lifting more than 1 pound these days there would be a lot of broken wrists out there.
    Oh...and congratulations...you have now met someone else in this world that is not exactly like you so you can stop attempting to imagine.

12-29-10 10:11 PM
    My belief is very much that 1 phone can not be THE phone for everyone, and RIM can address peoples needs with different models and different upgrade cycles. I'll break it down.

Bold - Premium top of the line Candy bar phone, 2 models of Bold 9000 form factor, and 9700 form factor, each form factor upgrading on a 2 year cycle, basically a new Bold every year, but alternating form factors,
    Curve - Second level Candy Bar phone, ideal for "fleet phones" and price Conscientious consumer. This phone should be on a 2 year upgrade cycle, this phone tech should be based off of the 9700 form factor technology, but one year different, allowing RIM to get more out of their lower end phone by purchasing more components on the 9700 development,
    Storm - Premium Consumer phone, 12-16 month upgrade cycle, This is the flagship touch phone to battle in the consumer space, it needs to be feature rich, and it's out of contract price needs to be higher, to give RIM more money for advertising, and it needs to be pushed by the carriers.
    Torch - Specialty Consumer phone, 24 month upgrade cycle, depending on sales of This device will depend if it replaces the Storm as the premium consumer device, this phone should have the hardware of the 9000 Bold series in the same year,
    Style - Specialty consumer phone, 24 Month upgrade cycle, this phone is built as an alternative to the Curve phone, it is a fleet phone and consumer phone, build strong, does not need latest and greatest tech, it fills a market current smartphones don't fill.
    Pearl - Premium MicroPhone, the Pearl needs to recapture the Small is better market, the form factor is fantastic for the sleek phone, possibly made slightly thinner, this is a 18 month phone, those that love it will pay out of contract to get it early, making more margin for RIM, those that just really like it will wait 6 months to buy it. or carriers will offer it as an early upgrade.

Now why RIM is NOT a car dealer, Cars are released on a Calendar year schedule, Mobile phones are not, RIM needs at least 1 new release every quarter, to maintain RIM's Margins they can't have every phone being upgraded every year, that would reduce shipments of phones, and lower margins, RIM needs to maintain it's high margins, so using the same components in 2 or 3 phones is ideal. and them being "current" in line with upgrade cycles keeps carriers and corporate customers happy.
    I didn't say they should go to one phone.
    I suggested they narrow their range to four (read my post)
    That would give RIM "at least 1 new release every quarter" to maintain their margins.

I IMAGINE there may be more oddballs like avi44x who really like the Curve. At least combine the 8900, 8500 series, 8300 series, and Curve 3G into one model
    12-30-10 04:25 PM
    I must admit, I like the Curve form factor, but I am upgrading to a Torch form factor.

12-30-10 05:54 PM
    =====

===== /QUOTE ====

That would give RIM "at least 1 new release every quarter" to maintain their margins.

I IMAGINE there may be more oddballs like avi44x who really like the Curve. At least combine the 8900, 8500 series, 8300 series, and Curve 3G into one model
    Now that would be a good idea. All the different curves is beyond stupid.

12-30-10 06:27 PM

they have already done that in North America at least

the 9300 is the only Current Curve, the 8300/8500/8900 are all end of life devices.

The 8500 series actually was an amalgamation of the 8900 and 8300, with the 9300 being the successor for the 8500
    12-30-10 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD