Hi all,
    I get more and more frustrated with the financial press, they're clearly uninformed and too lazy to get the facts right, especially re: RIM.
    Apple and Google are their darlings, yet I wonder how many people the employe in North America for their products.
    I know my Tour was manufactured in Mexico, I've not taken the cover off of my Playbook since I got it OS 1.
    I believe some handset are also manufactured in Canada.
    Someone must have the data on plants and employees, I want to shut these fools up.
    Guess I'm on a mission.
    Thanks,
    Tony Renier
    I just noticed that I type as though English were a second language-Sheeece!
    Last edited by tonyrenier; 05-29-12 at 12:11 PM.
    05-29-12 09:54 AM
    I currently have two BlackBerrys. One is made in Canada and one is made in Mexico. I believe they also have a plant in Asia but others will have to confirm.

I think I heard somewhere that the dev alpha was made in Canada as well. Not sure if that's where the first BB10 phone will be made or not.

On a side note, has anyone noticed how Apple customers keep having to go back to the Apple store to get their products repaired or replaced; crackling mic, bad reception, bad hard drive, etc? I guess that's what happens when your products are made by slaves and child labor. I've never had any problems with all the BlackBerrys I've had over the past 10 years.
    05-29-12 10:04 AM
    I currently have two BlackBerrys. One is made in Canada and one is made in Mexico. I believe they also have a plant in Asia but others will have to confirm.

I think I heard somewhere that the dev alpha was made in Canada as well. Not sure if that's where the first BB10 phone will be made or not.

On a side note, has anyone noticed how Apple customers keep having to go back to the Apple store to get their products repaired or replaced; crackling mic, bad reception, bad hard drive, etc? I guess that's what happens when your products are made by slaves and child labor. I've never had any problems with all the BlackBerrys I've had over the past 10 years.
    The Dev Alpha is made in Canada. It says right on the box. The accessories are made in China though.

I think the PB is made by Quanta in Taiwan.
    05-29-12 10:16 AM

I didn't know about the service issues, but it's worth noting.
    I haven't had any problems with my Blackberries over the years either and at least physically they're much more sophisticated devices.
    Thanks,
    05-29-12 12:07 PM
    From what i know,

Canada
    Hungary
    Mexico
    Malaysia

Taiwan - PlayBook
    05-29-12 12:27 PM
    RIM has a handset assembly facility in Waterloo. I have hired students who had worked there.
    05-29-12 03:06 PM
    Think what a coup it would be if RIM opened an assembly plant in the U.S.
    No matter how small it would be quite a statement in view of Apple's PR mess in China.
    I don't think anyone doesn't know that the rest of the manufacturers are from the east.
    I think it would blow the shorts off of the press.
    Just my two cents.
    06-01-12 08:28 AM
    I believe some of the plastic parts might be molded in Asia, although I would expect Mexico to mold some of these too.
    06-01-12 08:43 AM
    From what i know,

Canada
    Hungary
    Mexico
    Malaysia

Taiwan - PlayBook

i'm fairly certain it's Holland not Hungary.

in the old days when i used to work as internal tech support for a large telecommunications company; whenever i would get a ticket: "my blackberry is not working *sob!*"

i would ask the client to remove the battery and ask them where did it say their bb was made.

when they replied: made in Canada, i would reply: go ahead and put your battery back in. there is nothing wrong with your blackberry.

it was a way to amuse myself with the hundreds of tickets i got that could have been resolved with a batt pull. =))

every once in a while someone would throw me a curve ball and say theirs was made in Holland.

obviously this was before Mexico and Malaysia.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860
    06-01-12 01:11 PM
    i'm fairly certain it's Holland not Hungary.

in the old days when i used to work as internal tech support for a large telecommunications company; whenever i would get a ticket: "my blackberry is not working *sob!*"

i would ask the client to remove the battery and ask them where did it say their bb was made.

when they replied: made in Canada, i would reply: go ahead and put your battery back in. there is nothing wrong with your blackberry.

it was a way to amuse myself with the hundreds of tickets i got that could have been resolved with a batt pull. =))

every once in a while someone would throw me a curve ball and say theirs was made in Holland.

obviously this was before Mexico and Malaysia.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860
    It is Hungary. My current 9810 was made there (says so on the label) and so was my 9700.

Mind you, they could have a facilty in Holland too for all I know.
    06-01-12 01:28 PM
    From what i know,

Canada
    Hungary
    Mexico
    Malaysia

Taiwan - PlayBook

Some of the BlackBerry are assembly in Romania but the label we have to stick on the back of the phone it says Mexico. And could be other parts of the globe where they assembly bb and the sticker it says Mexico.

Sent from my 7.1 BlackBerry® 9810 using new CB App.
    06-01-12 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD