Windows phone is iPhone wannabe where as blackberry is definitely a unique platform even if it is for niche market. Windows phone has the same issues as blackberry in terms of apps availability. At least Blackberry has Android player and if we need to get some apps we have this route to go.
    Lol, I wouldn't say that necessarily but.. if it was that case, I believe Iphone is the Android wannabe.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-15 03:40 PM
    Windows phone is iPhone wannabe
    I could describe Windows Phone in a number of ways, but I can't say I would ever have used this choice of description. If anything, i think Windows Phone is very, very different as a mobile OS and marches to the beat of its own drummer. Some love it, some hate it, but I wouldn't call it a wannabe.
    ominaxe likes this.
    04-23-15 05:41 PM
    I'm gonna go ahead and not read any responses because as a BB-WP-BB convert I feel so strongly about this. I will pretty much overlook your need of OneDrive/skydrive because I don't like cloud services. I'm going to look at them as a phone and communications device.

After my BlackBerry Storm 2 I switched to Windows Phone 7. I liked the idea of aggregation, no multitasking and a seamless interface where everything was in one spot (live tiles and homescreen).

WP7 was great on my HTC Trophy. It was the most stable OS I had ever used (note: I don't use iOS which seems more stable). My contacts had Facebook and SMS on the same messaging app. Facebook was simple and integrated. It was super fast to open applications so you didn't need to multi-task, just keep watching the live tiles for live updates if you needed anything. Hitting that windows button or search button was your one stop source to everything. Office for writing, onenote for notes. Loved it. And loved the direction that MS was going where they could bake even more in such as Skype. (Zune music kinda sucked though and gtalk integration was nowhere in sight). Didn't need a plethora of apps to get **** done. It had a removable and expandable battery that lasted days. Unfortunately, I finally managed to kill the phone and needed an upgrade.

Got WP8 on the 928 and after a couple months I became disappointed. Sure I had more tiles, but the phone just seemed slower. Multitasking was slow and cumbersome. I was always hitting snags and had to restart often when I never had to on my Trophy. Skype was still not baked in and worked terribly. The phone seemed to get app crazy. Apps for everything that I never needed before. The battery was non-removable and didn't even get through a day with heavy use. Onenote started forcing me to use Skydrive which I didn't want to do. The phone was just a major disappointment.

8.1 came out and I figured that it would get better. NOPE! Added a useless notifications bar that pulled the phone away from its original intent of one spot on your home screen to see everything. Added more personalization, but the phone was worse. Facebook seemed to have detached itself from the phone with an application and messages no longer aggregated. Skype was still awful. WP became a wannabe with all the things they added to keep up with the Jones'. Live tiles turned into glorified icons. WP lost its uniqueness and stability, everything that I loved in WP7.

When I got my Z10 it was so refreshing. I felt like I was the in the Switzerland of the phone world. I finally had Gchat again and felt like I was out of the war between Google and Windows. I could universally search Bing OR Google. Finally I had aggregation that I wanted with the hub. Finally I had the stability I needed. And as an added bonus, I have multitasking that works better than any other OS on the market, something I thought I didn't want. Still can create docs in a breeze and easily manage. Also, I never realized just how bad the virtual keyboard was on the WP. Battery life was atrocious though.

Furthermore, I later upgraded to a Q10 and found my phone of choice. It has a great long lasting removable battery and I have a keyboard now so I continue to have my one stop place for everything I need, just hop onto the home screen and start tapping away for everything I need.

The way that WP became worse, I have serious doubts about WP10.

TL;DR: Windows Phone is garbage. Get a keyboarded BlackBerry.
    Last edited by ominaxe; 04-23-15 at 07:15 PM.
    bitek and andy275 like this.
    04-23-15 06:41 PM
    And if you really prefer Swype to thumb-tapping on a virtual keyboard, BB10 just isn't for you. This is something you'll be doing a lot of, and you shouldn't assume that because other people enjoy thumb-typing in BB10 you will too. The physical keyboard is a different experience altogether, which you may or may not want.
    You and Tre Lawrence have made good points on swiping and now I feel strongly they need to add that as an option to BB10. That's a growing popular method of inputting on a keyboard, so BlackBerry needs to keep up with the Joneses. Now that Apple supports it via third party keyboards, it should be on their roadmap.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    04-24-15 06:37 AM
    You and Tre Lawrence have made good points on swiping and now I feel strongly they need to add that as an option to BB10. That's a growing popular method of inputting on a keyboard, so BlackBerry needs to keep up with the Joneses. Now that Apple supports it via third party keyboards, it should be on their roadmap.
    I've never used swipe and not sure I would like it but more options for people is always a good thing. I like the flicking of words.
    04-24-15 06:57 AM
    I've never used swipe and not sure I would like it but more options for people is always a good thing. I like the flicking of words.
    The fact that it has gone from a novelty keyboard on Android to an option on all the other platforms tells the story that there is a significant demand for it. That's reason enough to have it.

The experience of using Swype/flow is similar to the BB10 VKB in one respect: You have to learn to relax and trust the software to get it right, rather than strive for accuracy in finger movement. The AI behind the two is the same: It looks at the group of letters near where your finger stopped, then the next group, and so on, and as it does so it prunes the list of possible words that could be intended. In both systems, errors are more likely on short words, because there's likely to be more than one word that fits the pattern.

There must be some other subtle differences between Swype and SwiftKey Flow, because I still find myself to be more accurate with Swype, and I'm sure others would say the same for Flow. That is, we've trained ourselves to use one or the other optimally.

Because the AI is the same, it shouldn't be hard for the BB10 VKB to have this option, but I've not heard a whisper about it, ever. It may be a matter of the list of desired BB10 features growing too long, given OS resource constraints.
    kbz1960 and anon(9353145) like this.
    04-24-15 07:17 AM
    Yeah, it's not something I use as an input method but it's a common alternative to PKB and tapping on a vkb. I suspect it's on their to do list by now as BlackBerry is about communications. Not sure the work required to add it, but Swiftkey, Swype and Google have it so definitely doable.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-24-15 07:42 AM
    If you love physical keyboards, you'll love the Classic (since the PP is too chunky for your taste).

Windows Nokias cameras rock, and Cortana is awesome. I am personally a big fan of Live Tiles, too. Windows also handles social media really well. W8.1 is also quite stable, almost as good as BB10. The animations and layout of W8.1 is more pleasing than BlackBerries comparatively drab look (not knocking it, I like the no-nonsense drab look. I played with an iPhone6 and a few Androids recently. They started blooping and beeping at me everytime I touched the screen. I thought 'get that candy-a$$ garbage out of here--no thanks'). Even Wozniak praised Windows 8 phone's aesthetics. And the Nokias are built like tanks.

Otherwise, Blackberries are superior. Better OS generally. Minimized apps continue running their processes until you close them. The real-time QNX OS is a big reason why I prefer BlackBerry. The HUB cannot be matched. BlackBerries are just so efficient and quick to use. Better battery life. BETTER RECEPTION! SD card slots. The option to run Android apps. Task switching with Windows Phone is almost the same process as on iPhones, which is GARBAGE. BB10 is so much quicker and better for rapid task switching/multitasking.

I'm interested in seeing W10 phones and how much better they will be. For right now, you'll probably be more happy with a Classic or Z30.

From a Classic
    04-24-15 11:09 AM
    I'm tired of seeing people say Nokia's are built like tanks. They WERE built like tanks before, now they're just like every other phone. My first drop with my Nokia cracked the screen, second shattered it to where it didn't even work.

And WP's stability is nothing compared to BlackBerry 10. Granted, its better than Android.
    04-24-15 06:24 PM
    No, pick what suits your needs.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 06:43 PM
    I'm tired of seeing people say Nokia's are built like tanks. They WERE built like tanks before, now they're just like every other phone. My first drop with my Nokia cracked the screen, second shattered it to where it didn't even work.
    Sorry your device dropped and broke, but just because yours reacted this way doesn't mean all devices have this happen.

I've abused BlackBerrys to the end and back and they worked fine. Others on these forums have dropped them and killed them instantly.

It's often a "luck of the draw" thing.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-27-15 03:55 PM
    You're right, it's the luck of the draw with drops. But what I'm saying though, is that these Nokias are not the Nokias of yesteryear. Everyone keeps saying that they're unbreakable and what not. They were bomb proof years ago, but not anymore. Now they're like every other phone. I just think it's interesting that their reputation for unbreakable tank phones is sticking for as long as it has.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-27-15 05:39 PM
    I got Z30 and I am very happy now. I do not think any Windows phone can do full day of work on single charge. Z10 can. No need for extra batteries anymore !

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 10:01 AM
    You're right, it's the luck of the draw with drops. But what I'm saying though, is that these Nokias are not the Nokias of yesteryear. Everyone keeps saying that they're unbreakable and what not. They were bomb proof years ago, but not anymore. Now they're like every other phone. I just think it's interesting that their reputation for unbreakable tank phones is sticking for as long as it has.
    I wouldn't say that considering I've dropped mine on the concrete and on the hard tile floors and it hasn't cracked yet. It did get a small dent in the casing which can be replaced but I'm not worried about it. Rather surprised but Nokia (Now Microsoft) Lumia branded phones may or may not be as durable. My Z10 took some hard drops and didn't crack until one day, I was getting out of the car and it fell out of my pocket 4 feet up right on the screen and cracked. Best way to go anymore is a case to be the safest.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 10:55 PM
    I got Z30 and I am very happy now. I do not think any Windows phone can do full day of work on single charge. Z10 can. No need for extra batteries anymore !

Posted via CB10
    Your Z10 got a full day!? Mine on heavy use was around 6 hours and moderate was about 10 hours. Light use went for about 16 hours or so. Same results with the second battery too. Z30 is a powerhouse and I would love to have it! How's it performing for you?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 10:58 PM
    Your Z10 got a full day!? Mine on heavy use was around 6 hours and moderate was about 10 hours. Light use went for about 16 hours or so. Same results with the second battery too. Z30 is a powerhouse and I would love to have it! How's it performing for you?

Posted via CB10
    I think that was an oops as they first said Z30.
    04-29-15 07:10 AM
    I've used BlackBerry as long as I can remember, but to be honest, when the leap came out, I wanted to pick one up for the fun of it, but seriously noow considering a windows device instead, a lot is happening with windows, and I see no harm in giving it a try.

Posted via CB10
    JosevuN3 and anon(7808135) like this.
    05-01-15 04:12 AM
67 123