It's time for a new phone. I've had a Samsung Galaxy S4 for almost 2 years; I'm unimpressed. Before that I had an iPhone 4S; it was a work thing and I've always hated iOS, and NFW will I get another iPhone. I had a BB before that, many years ago now.
    I do really like the Windows Phone UI and like that much of my profile from my Windows desktops will work on it too, and I'm a heavy OneDrive user.
    OTOH, 90%+ of what I use my phone for is PIM stuff: email, calendar, etc. and phone calls. BB - as I remember it - is still as good or better than anyone else at that. And I love the idea that people will look at me and say "WTF, is that actually a BlackBerry?!?!" Finally, nothing is as good as BB if you just want to whip out your phone and make a phone call.
    Here are the questions and issues that are eating at me:
    • Keyboards: I love the physical kb, but I do pretty well with Swype (which WP8.1 apes natively).
    • I use Office 365. Will I be able to display multiple overlaid calendars (other people, holidays, etc.) in the native BB calendar app?
    • How good is the Android support? I need Google Authenticator
    • Is the native mapping software decent?

So help me out folks. If I go Windows Phone I'm going to wait for WP10 because I'm sure a new generation of hardware will come out then, and clearly the handset makers are holding back right now. If I go BB I'll probably buy the unlocked Classic direct and run it on AT&T.
    04-21-15 03:56 PM
    When I first read the thread title I thought for a second you wanted to be pimped out.

BB10 phones can run Android apps windows phones can't.
    People seem to like the hub.
    If you want a physical keyboard then Blackberry is for you.
    roll2tide likes this.
    04-21-15 04:00 PM
    Based on what you stated, I'd consider waiting for WP10. We don't currently know what will come with it but I bet you it'll be really good. As for the BlackBerry statement, it's pretty nice to have something else that people don't use. The services that you use.. I'd say just go with the Windows Phone because it'll way more user friendly and we'll connected for you. BlackBerry 10 is smooth, very very smooth and quick but it doesn't have all the stuff that Windows Phone's have.

App wise, Windows Phone has more in the app store and I read somewhere that WP10 might somehow support APK files. As of now though, not all the apps downloaded from an APK file work right.

If I was you, I'd consider getting the Nokia Lumia 635 and trying WP8.1 out. I have that device and the only complaint is the camera on it is crap. Everything else about it is pretty good! If not, just wait until WP10 launches and by then, BlackBerry should have 10.4 coming around.

Posted via CB10
    dolco likes this.
    04-21-15 04:34 PM
    Based on what you stated, I'd consider waiting for WP10. We don't currently know what will come with it but I bet you it'll be really good. As for the BlackBerry statement, it's pretty nice to have something else that people don't use. The services that you use.. I'd say just go with the Windows Phone because it'll way more user friendly and we'll connected for you. BlackBerry 10 is smooth, very very smooth and quick but it doesn't have all the stuff that Windows Phone's have.

App wise, Windows Phone has more in the app store and I read somewhere that WP10 might somehow support APK files. As of now though, not all the apps downloaded from an APK file work right.

If I was you, I'd consider getting the Nokia Lumia 635 and trying WP8.1 out. I have that device and the only complaint is the camera on it is crap. Everything else about it is pretty good! If not, just wait until WP10 launches and by then, BlackBerry should have 10.4 coming around.

Posted via CB10

W10 won't support Android Apps, not now they are implementing Universal Windows Apps
    04-21-15 04:40 PM
    Thank you, I appreciate the perspective and the excellent point about the Nokia 635. You can get it unlocked on Amazon for under $50. Hard to go wrong.
    04-21-15 04:41 PM
    I'm sure you're right, no way would Microsoft make their own app ecosystem irrelevant by supporting Android apps.
    outlooker and dolco like this.
    04-21-15 04:42 PM
    Try the word-flick feature on the touch sensitive physical keyboard of the Passport. I've probably flicked half of the words in this short paragraph.

You just start typing, and once you see the word that you want, you just flick and the phone completes it... if it's wrong, a quite swipe to the left deletes it again.

PIM is pretty good, and can sync to Outlook/Exchange. I don't know about Google Authenticator.

As far as maps goes, it depends on your use case. Many have reported that directions (getting from A to B) are much better on BB10 Maps. Shown locations around you is better on Google Maps, but there are native maps apps the use Google Maps, so there you go.

Check out BeMaps 10 Pro - with Google Maps in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/32317888

Hope that helps a bit... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    DarkJoker33, tvst28 and Tim-ANC like this.
    04-21-15 05:03 PM
    Why are you choosing between BlackBerry and Windows Phone? Both of them suck compared to high-end Android phones. Look at the LG G4. It'll be out this month and it's an amazing phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 05:06 PM
    Why are you choosing between BlackBerry and Windows Phone? Both of them suck compared to high -end Android phones. Look at the LG G4. It'll be out this month and it's an amazing phone.

Posted via CB10
    Because everyone will be getting one... ^

... And I love the idea that people will look at me and say "WTF, is that actually a BlackBerry?!?!" Finally, nothing is as good as BB if you just want to whip out your phone and make a phone call....
    ^ There's really no better phone than the Passport for these moments... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    NYTOC83 and Sulaco757 like this.
    04-21-15 05:09 PM
    In my opinion, the windows phone 8.1 is limited by the nature of its overall design. The live tiles never convey information as well as originally thought, and the UI is clunky. To address the points that I can:
    -Blackberry does not have Swype even in its software keyboard. It does, however, have a more innovative keyboard methodology centered around a best in class word predictor. I prefer the Blackberry software keyboard for its intuativeness and speed

-Multiple calendars will work with BlackBerry calendar. It works well too.

-Native maps app is behind Google maps and even apple maps, but it's never let me down and is very workable. In combination with apps like blackberry travel, I don't ever go wanting another map app.

-I can't speak to Google authenticator personally, but I know that there are a number of solutions in place for just that job

I was between WP8 and Blackberry 10 last year, but I went with BlackBerry 10 because it just does what it does better than anyone. It's not a jack of all trades. But it's a master in very key aspects

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 05:16 PM
    I think you should get the classic it's a awesome device u can type really fast on it and emails are amazing on it but u should maybe try the blackberry z30 it's a awesome phone
    04-21-15 05:45 PM
    Thank you. I don't get so excited about specific phones as much as by the software, although the physical BB keyboard is an important difference here. I'm very familiar with Android and other than the large app selection I'm not moved.
    04-21-15 06:22 PM
    Passport is just too big for me. But it is an interesting design.
    04-21-15 06:23 PM
    I bought the $48 635 on Amazon (which is actually locked to AT&T, but that's OK). I may run the WP10 preview on it. Thanks for the inspiration.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    04-21-15 06:26 PM
    As I told another poster above, I just bought the Nokia 635 for $50 on Amazon. I can use it to give the WP10 preview a serious try. This will help me decide how well WP really works for me. If i really want to go with it I'll get a better phone when the next generation come out. If it doesn't, I'll just get the Blackberry.
    04-21-15 06:28 PM
    Yeah, thanks. If I'm getting a BB it's going to be for the physical keyboard, wonderful as the Z30 may be.
    04-21-15 06:28 PM
    I really like the Office integration in WP. The Live Tiles are fun but after a while, they just fade into app shortcuts.

Me personally, I struggle with messaging on WP. The Swype like touch keyboard is fun, but the tap to type is sub-par to BB10. The Hub is hands down the best messaging I have ever used.

A couple of other cons against WP are:

Listening to music or I should say stopping the music when you back out of the app. You have to reopen the app.
    The browser's lack of home page is a giant WTF.
    I can't lock the phone like I can on BB. In fact, other than setting the side button to lock the phone all the time, I don't think there is a way.
    04-21-15 06:33 PM
    Reasons to buy a Windows Phone (Remember someone did ask)

Live tiles and customization

From the home screen, you can get a smooth, animated overview of your life � photos of your contacts, emails in your inbox, upcoming appointments, ebooks, websites � it's all in front of you straight away. WP8.1 adds in the ability to add wallpapers that fuse with the live tiles as well as adjust the colours. The lock screen notifications are useful as well, particularly if your phone's sat on the desk or the arm of a chair.

Action Centre

While Microsoft may be so late to the party it has certainly learnt from the best (and worst) of the features offered on iOS and Android. You can set up custom shortcuts within the Action Centre for everything from Bluetooth to the camera app and certain alerts can be easily previewed without opening the app in question.

Cortana is awesome

Cortana will transform the way you use your phone. Scheduling appointments, checking flight times, giving directions and tracking news stories � all of these are within Cortana's capabilities right from the start. Not only that, but she gets cleverer the more time you spend together. She is amazing.

Outlook, Office and universal apps

You can access your Outlook emails and Office documents on non-Microsoft platforms quite easily; in fact there are a choice of methods and apps you can use. However, these titans of productivity are built in and work nicely on Windows Phone as soon as you provide your Microsoft account credentials. If you're already heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem, then the company's mobile OS is a natural next step; as apps become universal across phones, tablets, Windows computers and the Xbox then Windows Phone could make even more sense.

OneDrive

OneDrive combines file backup, photo management and document editing, and of course it's baked into Windows 8.1 too. Create, update and manage all of your files as easily on your phone as from your computer.

Camera technology

Nokia's handsets have always impressed with their camera technology. This is more down to Nokia's engineering than anything Windows Phone does, but there's no doubt that many of the current Lumia handsets take dazzling pictures. The dedicated hardware button helps, as does the Nokia Pro Cam app, and the Windows Phone experience is proof that you don't have to settle for average snaps from your mobile.

Kids� Corner

Got a kid or a relative who wants to play with your phone? Activate the Kids corner and select the apps you want them to use. After that it's simply swipe from right to left then up in the lock screen to use it. No need to let them in your personal data.

Offline Map Navigation

Download maps to use them when you have no connection. HERE maps are free so no need to worry when using HERE Drive since it has a built in GPS. No internet connection required.

Battery Saver

Windows Phone includes a useful little feature called the Battery Saver, which you can activate if your handset is struggling to last the day and you need every drop of juice it's got left. It automatically switches on once your battery level goes past a particular point, but you can also activate it manually, and it deals with a variety of system settings simultaneously. Automatic calendar and email syncs are disabled, though you can still refresh these apps manually should you need to. Some of the live tiles on the home screen won't be updated in Battery Saver mode, and any apps running in the background are shut down as well - you'll only be able to use one app at a time. Head to the Battery Saver page in the settings and you can see an estimate of how much life your phone has left, with and without Battery Saver.

BitLocker encryption and Secure Boot are both included in Windows Phone 8 (the same system protection you'll find in the full desktop Windows 8), and collaboration tools like OneNote and SharePoint are built into the operating system too. Windows Phone supports Exchange Server and Exchange ActiveSync right out of the box, and a business can set up a Company Hub on each of the handsets that it manages. Companies can also create bespoke app stores and push out programs of their own making to employee phones.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.
    04-21-15 07:10 PM
    Passport too big for you? Nah, you've got to give it a little while to adapt...there are numerous cases reported here about petite women thinking like you, then changing their minds after using the phone for a week.

I have to laugh everytime some one tells me the Passport is too big, as they go back to tweeting on there humongous Sammy-whatever phone!

If you can deal with your actual passport, you can handle a BlackBerry Passport!

I use Don't Panic, a 3rd party navigation app that does not require network access to operate.

A previous comment on WP's battery saver feature...to help you get through a DAY's use? Really? Passport also has a saver mode....comes on automatically was remaining level dips below around 20%...which for me means every THREE DAY'S!!! That 20% means I still have 10+hrs remaining!

This Passport takes me places!
    DarkJoker33 and Tim-ANC like this.
    04-21-15 08:09 PM
    I tried a gold Lumia 930 for a while. It was cool, but nowhere near as awesome as BlackBerry 10. I love the WP UI, too, but it's just not as great as it looks. Not having to push a home button or a back button on BlackBerry 10 is phenomenal - once you use a BB10 phone, you won't want to ever use a phone with home buttons, etc... again.

Also, the hub on BB10 is much better than the WP email setup. Each email account on WP is a separate tile, which is not nearly as awesome as having all your accounts in one place. Also, I didn't enjoy the swipe keyboard on WP - it was cool, but I am WAY faster on my Passport than on the WP.

It's time for a new phone. I've had a Samsung Galaxy S4 for almost 2 years; I'm unimpressed. Before that I had an iPhone 4S; it was a work thing and I've always hated iOS, and NFW will I get another iPhone. I had a BB before that, many years ago now.
    I do really like the Windows Phone UI and like that much of my profile from my Windows desktops will work on it too, and I'm a heavy OneDrive user.
    OTOH, 90%+ of what I use my phone for is PIM stuff: email, calendar, etc. and phone calls. BB - as I remember it - is still as good or better than anyone else at that. And I love the idea that people will look at me and say "WTF, is that actually a BlackBerry?!?!" Finally, nothing is as good as BB if you just want to whip out your phone and make a phone call.
    Here are the questions and issues that are eating at me:
    • Keyboards: I love the physical kb, but I do pretty well with Swype (which WP8.1 apes natively).
    • I use Office 365. Will I be able to display multiple overlaid calendars (other people, holidays, etc.) in the native BB calendar app?
    • How good is the Android support? I need Google Authenticator
    • Is the native mapping software decent?

So help me out folks. If I go Windows Phone I'm going to wait for WP10 because I'm sure a new generation of hardware will come out then, and clearly the handset makers are holding back right now. If I go BB I'll probably buy the unlocked Classic direct and run it on AT&T.
    04-21-15 08:41 PM
    I have a Passport and my previous phone was the HTC 8X running WP8.1. The BB10 OS is far superior, particularly the Hub function which has all of your connections in one place. My Passport syncs well with my work Outlook calendar, email, and contacts. The keyboard is actually a combination of physical and flick. I find it far easier to use than WP virtual keyboard, having made the transition directly. The Google apps work well except for the apps that need direct Google support. I use the Authenticator on my Passport.The unlocked BB 10 phones work on the GSM networks without any problems.I find the native mapping app to be just fine. The only thing that's better is the Here app on WP. If I were you, I'd go Passport rather than Classic.
    04-21-15 09:30 PM
    Everyone has covered pretty much everything except:

Google Authenticator

I use the app 2 Steps Authenticator. It works beautifully and I have it for a variety of accounts I set up which have two factor authentication.

I like the Windows OS but prefer BB10.

The things I prefer on Windows are driving mode, the HERE app and color customization.

Posted via my gorgeous red Passport
    04-21-15 10:05 PM
    Passport too big for you? Nah, you've got to give it a little while to adapt...there are numerous cases reported here about petite women thinking like you, then changing their minds after using the phone for a week.

As a petite female Passport owner I can verify this. I am in love with this phone. It takes like, three days before the Passport feels absolutely normal and everyone else's phone looks tiny and strange.

Posted via CB10
    04-21-15 10:22 PM
    Reasons to buy a Windows Phone (Remember someone did ask)

Live tiles and customization

From the home screen, you can get a smooth, animated overview of your life � photos of your contacts, emails in your inbox, upcoming appointments, ebooks, websites � it's all in front of you straight away. WP8.1 adds in the ability to add wallpapers that fuse with the live tiles as well as adjust the colours. The lock screen notifications are useful as well, particularly if your phone's sat on the desk or the arm of a chair.

Action Centre

While Microsoft may be so late to the party it has certainly learnt from the best (and worst) of the features offered on iOS and Android. You can set up custom shortcuts within the Action Centre for everything from Bluetooth to the camera app and certain alerts can be easily previewed without opening the app in question.

Cortana is awesome

Cortana will transform the way you use your phone. Scheduling appointments, checking flight times, giving directions and tracking news stories � all of these are within Cortana's capabilities right from the start. Not only that, but she gets cleverer the more time you spend together. She is amazing.

Outlook, Office and universal apps

You can access your Outlook emails and Office documents on non-Microsoft platforms quite easily; in fact there are a choice of methods and apps you can use. However, these titans of productivity are built in and work nicely on Windows Phone as soon as you provide your Microsoft account credentials. If you're already heavily invested in the Microsoft ecosystem, then the company's mobile OS is a natural next step; as apps become universal across phones, tablets, Windows computers and the Xbox then Windows Phone could make even more sense.

OneDrive

OneDrive combines file backup, photo management and document editing, and of course it's baked into Windows 8.1 too. Create, update and manage all of your files as easily on your phone as from your computer.

Camera technology

Nokia's handsets have always impressed with their camera technology. This is more down to Nokia's engineering than anything Windows Phone does, but there's no doubt that many of the current Lumia handsets take dazzling pictures. The dedicated hardware button helps, as does the Nokia Pro Cam app, and the Windows Phone experience is proof that you don't have to settle for average snaps from your mobile.

Kids� Corner

Got a kid or a relative who wants to play with your phone? Activate the Kids corner and select the apps you want them to use. After that it's simply swipe from right to left then up in the lock screen to use it. No need to let them in your personal data.

Offline Map Navigation

Download maps to use them when you have no connection. HERE maps are free so no need to worry when using HERE Drive since it has a built in GPS. No internet connection required.

Battery Saver

Windows Phone includes a useful little feature called the Battery Saver, which you can activate if your handset is struggling to last the day and you need every drop of juice it's got left. It automatically switches on once your battery level goes past a particular point, but you can also activate it manually, and it deals with a variety of system settings simultaneously. Automatic calendar and email syncs are disabled, though you can still refresh these apps manually should you need to. Some of the live tiles on the home screen won't be updated in Battery Saver mode, and any apps running in the background are shut down as well - you'll only be able to use one app at a time. Head to the Battery Saver page in the settings and you can see an estimate of how much life your phone has left, with and without Battery Saver.

BitLocker encryption and Secure Boot are both included in Windows Phone 8 (the same system protection you'll find in the full desktop Windows 8), and collaboration tools like OneNote and SharePoint are built into the operating system too. Windows Phone supports Exchange Server and Exchange ActiveSync right out of the box, and a business can set up a Company Hub on each of the handsets that it manages. Companies can also create bespoke app stores and push out programs of their own making to employee phones.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.
    How long does the battery last with heavy use?
    04-21-15 10:36 PM
    A previous comment on WP's battery saver feature...to help you get through a DAY's use? Really? Passport also has a saver mode....comes on automatically was remaining level dips below around 20%...which for me means every THREE DAY'S!!! That 20% means I still have 10+hrs remaining!
    This Passport takes me places!
    Passport can last up to 3 days because it has big capacity of battery.
    My old z30 can last only 1 day with 2880 mAH. Actually BB10 is power hungry, and ram management is left behind.
    04-21-15 11:06 PM
67 123