alright so i got a new verizon curve 8330...

i spent some time today freeing up some memory on it, and i ended up with around 50 megs of free space.....

earlier (about 2 hours ago) it was 52,1xx,xxx

i went online and facebook for a few (~20 mins) and checked again and it was down to about 48,100,xxx... so i cleared the cache and did a memory clean and ran quickpull and after it showed up as 51,5xx,xxx.... i was thinking alright im missing almost a meg of memory??? so i immediately did another quickpull, and after it showed up as 50,6xx,xxx.........

so now i was like what the ****....... did another quickpull and its up to 51,1xx,xxx.........

im not worried about it, it just bugs the crap out of me, can someone please explain whats going on? where is all this going?

i have no more pics/messages/anything than earlier today

edit: what are the things that build up over time on a BB, besides the caches, history, and cookies in the browser, messages, and things that memory cleaner erases?
    Last edited by m8r8j; 08-15-09 at 11:21 PM.
    08-15-09 11:18 PM
    alright every time i do a quickpull the free memory comes up different whattt the helllll...... like im talking up to a megabyte different, even if i do a quickpull one right after another
    08-15-09 11:29 PM
    51 MB free app space is decent. You don't have to worry about it unless you get lower than 12 MB free app space.
    08-15-09 11:42 PM
    If you're closing all your apps after you're done using them and you're still losing memory I'm not sure. I feel the same way. I have around 142mb usually. When it nears 130mb, I always do a battery pull. It bugs me knowing that I'm losing memory. Its best not to think about since it doesn't affect the phone unless it gets really low.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-09 12:01 AM
    Your device memory isn't only storage, is also functions as ram. Its normal for memory to be used just like on a computer and freed after a reboot. Memory usage will never be exactly the same after a restart because different things are happening at different times. Within the BB OS there are a lot of things happening in the background that are transparent to the user.

Also with your example of the browser that is normal behavior, you don't have to worry about clearing your cache or memory cleaning afterwards its not going to slow down your performance at all, you have significant amounts of memory free. More memory free doesn't not always mean faster. The BB OS will do it own memory management including garbage collection when resources run low. It will then resort to delete messages automaticallly. You don't have to worry about that with the amount of memory you have free.

08-16-09 12:32 AM
    that makes me feel a little better..... and dragon are you sure your reading that right? cause that a loooooot
    08-16-09 08:10 AM
    that makes me feel a little better..... and dragon are you sure your reading that right? cause that a loooooot
    dragon is using 8900 not 8330.... 8900 has more memory....^^
    08-16-09 08:14 AM
    i have 23857920 Bytes is that good of bad...? i never notice lag or have a timer on screen i dont understand it to be honest but im guessing having bb mess on and windows live and facebook permantly on would be a memory problem due to the fact it will be tacking up memory am i correct or not :S?
    Last edited by Deanzke; 08-16-09 at 08:32 AM. Reason: typo error
    08-16-09 08:30 AM
    What Shao said.

Also, don't forget these devices are built on Java, so it has garbage collection. So as you sit there, the memory will sometimes go up for no reason.

Also, memory numbers are misleading by nature. Chances are it has all the free memory you expect but isn't allowed to tell you about it as it has become fragmented and it technically unusable until the garbage collection kicks in at some point when you have the idle time to do it.

08-16-09 08:31 AM
    Your device memory isn't only storage, is also functions as ram. Its normal for memory to be used just like on a computer and freed after a reboot. Memory usage will never be exactly the same after a restart because different things are happening at different times. Within the BB OS there are a lot of things happening in the background that are transparent to the user.

Also with your example of the browser that is normal behavior, you don't have to worry about clearing your cache or memory cleaning afterwards its not going to slow down your performance at all, you have significant amounts of memory free. More memory free doesn't not always mean faster. The BB OS will do it own memory management including garbage collection when resources run low. It will then resort to delete messages automaticallly. You don't have to worry about that with the amount of memory you have free.

Thanks I was wondering why this varied , was not worried enough to post about because always had plenty but did not understand the variation til now thanks for the explaination on as well as the added stuff by Radius

PS.. so actually m8r8j question was the same as mine( in my head) ,, it just bugged them more
    Last edited by DavidNC; 08-16-09 at 08:43 AM. Reason: added PS and stuff
    08-16-09 08:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD